Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1802 Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

Thanks I'll be using these settings since you probably know more about this stuff than me.smile.gif
If you setup is similar to mine, you'll be just fine.

Otherwise, please note that my audio system is 5.1 channels. If yours is 7.1 you would likely want to change the 7.1ch Audio Reformatting to ON and the Analog Audio Output: 2 ch + 5.1 chn to 7.1 ch. Also note that I have the 500 set to decode the HD Audio. That means the receiver gets LPCM 5.1 and displays PCM instead of the HD Audio format. If you want your receiver to decode HD Audio instead, you will need to change Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD to Bitstream and DTS/DTS-HD: Bitstream. Then your AVR should display the HD audio format too. These are individual preferences that have to be decided based upon the capabilities of your audio equipment. And lastly, note that I am not using the Audio Analog Outputs. I choose to stay in the digital domain and send the HDMI (sub) output to my AVR. My AVR is 4 years old. It will not pass 3D video. However, there are many AVS members who bought the 500 for its advanced, high quality Audio Analog Outputs. Their 500's audio settings will likely be different than mine. Just keep that in mind if you choose to use the Audio Analog Outputs. Try their audio settings instead. Thus there are a few ways you can setup your 500 depending on your preferences. Those are mine.

As for the video settings, most newer LCD/LEDs and plasmas should do fine with my settings. However, if your TV cannot accept 24p, you will need to change that setting accordingly, perhaps to Auto. I didn't any post any 3D settings. I am getting a 3D TV but have not, as of yet, decided which one I want nor the type I want, namely active vs passive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1802 Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 AM

Liked: 10
I just setup the 500 tonight and am happy with how it plays disks and streams Netflix. I had previously used a PS3 for Netflix streaming. On the PS3 I could press the select button on the remote and a small window would open in the corner of the TV screen that showed the quality of the video and audio being streamed. Has anyone found a way to see the audio and video quality of the Netflix steam while using the 500? I tried various buttons on the Panasonic remote and also looked for a way to program this feature on my Harmony One but couldn't find a way to display this information.
post #723 of 1802 Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by older fossil View Post

I just setup the 500 tonight and am happy with how it plays disks and streams Netflix. I had previously used a PS3 for Netflix streaming. On the PS3 I could press the select button on the remote and a small window would open in the corner of the TV screen that showed the quality of the video and audio being streamed. Has anyone found a way to see the audio and video quality of the Netflix steam while using the 500? I tried various buttons on the Panasonic remote and also looked for a way to program this feature on my Harmony One but couldn't find a way to display this information.
Sony players do this. Panansonic doesn't . That's one of the many reasons I got a Sony instead of a Panasonic.
post #724 of 1802 Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info Mdavej. Not a huge feature because I have a fast broadband connection but it was nice to have.
post #725 of 1802 Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Hawk View Post

If you setup is similar to mine, you'll be just fine.
Otherwise, please note that my audio system is 5.1 channels. If yours is 7.1 you would likely want to change the 7.1ch Audio Reformatting to ON and the Analog Audio Output: 2 ch + 5.1 chn to 7.1 ch. Also note that I have the 500 set to decode the HD Audio. That means the receiver gets LPCM 5.1 and displays PCM instead of the HD Audio format. If you want your receiver to decode HD Audio instead, you will need to change Dolby D/Dolby D+/Dolby TrueHD to Bitstream and DTS/DTS-HD: Bitstream. Then your AVR should display the HD audio format too. These are individual preferences that have to be decided based upon the capabilities of your audio equipment. And lastly, note that I am not using the Audio Analog Outputs. I choose to stay in the digital domain and send the HDMI (sub) output to my AVR. My AVR is 4 years old. It will not pass 3D video. However, there are many AVS members who bought the 500 for its advanced, high quality Audio Analog Outputs. Their 500's audio settings will likely be different than mine. Just keep that in mind if you choose to use the Audio Analog Outputs. Try their audio settings instead. Thus there are a few ways you can setup your 500 depending on your preferences. Those are mine.
As for the video settings, most newer LCD/LEDs and plasmas should do fine with my settings. However, if your TV cannot accept 24p, you will need to change that setting accordingly, perhaps to Auto. I didn't any post any 3D settings. I am getting a 3D TV but have not, as of yet, decided which one I want nor the type I want, namely active vs passive.

Cool thanks, I do have a 7.1 receiver but only have 5.1 speakers. And I have a Panny plasma that does 24p

post #726 of 1802 Old 07-18-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by older fossil View Post

Why don't you just look at the picture quality and listen to the sound? Even if it says HD 5.1 is you don't like it, you still won't like it, would you?

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #727 of 1802 Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 13
I've had the dmp-bdt500 since they came out and I've been happy with it. But one thing that is really annoying me is the time-out timer. I haven't seen any references to it here in the forum, so everyone else must know how to disable it. I searched through the manual, but there's nothing there either. Dito for all of the 500's on-screen menus.

When I press the Pause button, several minutes later the unit shuts down. When I press Play again, after awhile a gray box appears on the screen (lower-left corner) saying that the "off timer was activated". I know that this message is coming from the 500 since it shows the 4 arrows with OK in the middle (and the player had shut down).

Does anyone know how to disable this "off timer" or at least change the time-out duration?

Thanks for any insights,

Scott

PS I have the original firmware
post #728 of 1802 Old 07-19-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post

I've had the dmp-bdt500 since they came out and I've been happy with it. But one thing that is really annoying me is the time-out timer. I haven't seen any references to it here in the forum, so everyone else must know how to disable it. I searched through the manual, but there's nothing there either. Dito for all of the 500's on-screen menus.
When I press the Pause button, several minutes later the unit shuts down. When I press Play again, after awhile a gray box appears on the screen (lower-left corner) saying that the "off timer was activated". I know that this message is coming from the 500 since it shows the 4 arrows with OK in the middle (and the player had shut down).
Does anyone know how to disable this "off timer" or at least change the time-out duration?
Thanks for any insights,
Scott

In my limited experience, the 500 player is not great on offering options at the micro level.

I myself would like what you want (above), but I'm not holding my breath on Panasonic doing a f/w update that will offer this.
Quote:

PS I have the original firmware

I upgraded to f/w 1.39 and it hasn't screwed anything up.

You might consider doing a disc based upgrade (as opposed to on-line) to f/w 1.39

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #729 of 1802 Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

You might consider doing a disc based upgrade (as opposed to on-line) to f/w 1.39

Yes, I'll do the disk-based fw upgrade tonight. I was holding off (bad experiences with Samsung 5000's fw updates), but 1.39 has been out for several weeks and appears to be stable.

Thanks,

Scott
post #730 of 1802 Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good to know about this/thanks for posting. Although perhaps not in the best interests of player life, with my BDT350 I frequently and perhaps lazily press pause in the middle of a commentary when falling asleep instead of pressing stop. I like being able to just go right back to where I left off the night before without reloading the disc and skipping to where I wanna pick up again. Looks like Panny may have eliminated this ability with the 500 and that kinda will therefore weigh in my "upgrade" calculus.
post #731 of 1802 Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 PM

I contacted Panasonic support about this. After some digging, Dane B. said the following:

Unfortunately that feature cannot be disabled
Its basically a energy saving feature for that unit
once the unit is inactive for a period of time, it shuts off

So it is an intentional feature. Dane then indicated to send an email to Support requesting that the option to change the off-timer timeout be added to the next firmware release:

http://shop.panasonic.com/panasonic/support/contact-us?t=email

So I filled out the form and typed up a couple of paragraphs summarizing the problem and the issues.

I'll let folks know what I hear back from Panasonic.

Scott
post #732 of 1802 Old 07-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

So the issue is toast. I've been through that whole rigamorole before with Panny. At best, you'll get a perfunctory acknowledgement of receipt of your correspondence. But don't hold your breath, amidst this wave of "energy-saving features" in BD players these days, for the firmware addition of a setting that enables you to set a timer on that function.
post #733 of 1802 Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

I contacted Panasonic support about this. After some digging, Dane B. said the following:
Unfortunately that feature cannot be disabled
Its basically a energy saving feature for that unit
once the unit is inactive for a period of time, it shuts off

So it is an intentional feature. Dane then indicated to send an email to Support requesting that the option to change the off-timer timeout be added to the next firmware release:
http://shop.panasonic.com/panasonic/support/contact-us?t=email
So I filled out the form and typed up a couple of paragraphs summarizing the problem and the issues.
I'll let folks know what I hear back from Panasonic.
Scott

It has been in 2 generations of Panasonic and now SONY has adopted it.
post #734 of 1802 Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I finally tried out the Netflix app on my BDT-500, while watching Breaking Bad S4 the player was flickering and dimming through out the whole episode. Has anyone else experience this? If so, is there a fix?
The player is connected via HDMI directly to my Panny Plzma TV.

Thank you,

Eric

" I forgot to mention that the player is hard wired via ethernet cable, and the latest FW"
post #735 of 1802 Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM

When burning a CD with the new firmware, be sure that:

1. If you downloaded the .EXE file, run that first to extract the .FRM file.
  2. PANA_DVD.FRM is at the top level of the disc that you create (i.e. don't preserve full pathnames)
  3. That the disc is written in ISO9660 format only (i.e. not Joliet nor UDF). I use ImgBurn, which gives the choice.
  4. Version 1.39 of the firmware should be written to disc as 88,330,240 bytes.

If you put the disk into the DMB-BDT500 and it doesn't recognize it as a firmware update, then select MUSIC from the 500's top-level on-screen menu and see what it shows. If it shows a directory tree, then PANA_DVD.FRM didn't get written at the top level.

It took awhile for me to realize, duh, that my burner software was including the complete path tree (from the hard disk) when writing the CD frown.gif . It was an easy fix, just un-check a check-box. But I now have extra coasters around the house to prove it... I should have actually looked at the disk first before putting it into the 500.

Scott
post #736 of 1802 Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi everybody

Just got my BD500 (mainly for its dual HDMI)

My other equipment :
AVR Denon 2808 (able to decode DTS HD/Dolby HD)
Sanyo projector HD
Panasonic HD tv

Initial thought for connections :

HDMI main to TV
HDMI SUB to AVR2808
Digital audio output to "Bitstream", for DTS HD and Dolby HD.
Video ON in HDMI SUB (as I need to give video to AVR for the projector)

Will that be the best setting for audio ??
From the manual (which is one of the worst I have ever seen), I got the impression that from HDMI SUB you get the best sound only if you put the Video OFF. Is that correct ??smile.gif
post #737 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 AM

Hi

New owner of the bdt500 here , I'm finding a few settings a little unsure what to do with , In sound there is a setting called BD-Video Secondary Audio (On or OFF).

I'm not sure if this should be Off or On?

I have connected up using just the main hdmi connection which is connected to my amp , also I've set the player to bitstream the hd formats so that my amp does the decoding.

post #738 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner84 View Post

Hi
New owner of the bdt500 here , I'm finding a few settings a little unsure what to do with , In sound there is a setting called BD-Video Secondary Audio (On or OFF).
I'm not sure if this should be Off or On?
I have connected up using just the main hdmi connection which is connected to my amp , also I've set the player to bitstream the hd formats so that my amp does the decoding.

Secondary audio needs to be off when bitstreaming to get Lossles audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA).

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #739 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Secondary audio needs to be on if you want to hear what's being said in the PIP (Picture-In-Picture) extras available on some BDs. There is no quality difference between bitstreamed and non-bitstreamed (LPCM) audio. The difference is only in where the bitstreamed audio is decoded into LPCM -- in the player or in the receiver. Many of us who have "audio OCD" wink.gif like to see the two different HD audio decoder lights illuminated on the receiver. You won't see them when sending decoded (LPCM) audio from the player.

Selden
post #740 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 AM

thanks guys , that's what I thought
post #741 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholia View Post

Hi everybody
Just got my BD500 (mainly for its dual HDMI)
My other equipment :
AVR Denon 2808 (able to decode DTS HD/Dolby HD)
Sanyo projector HD
Panasonic HD tv
Initial thought for connections :
HDMI main to TV
HDMI SUB to AVR2808
Digital audio output to "Bitstream", for DTS HD and Dolby HD.
Video ON in HDMI SUB (as I need to give video to AVR for the projector)
Will that be the best setting for audio ??
From the manual (which is one of the worst I have ever seen), I got the impression that from HDMI SUB you get the best sound only if you put the Video OFF. Is that correct ??smile.gif
My understanding is that the HDMI SUB output has nothing whatsoever to do with the sound quality. It is merely a switch for turning the Video output ON or OFF from that terminal. You are using the 500 for its dual HDMI outputs one going to your HDTV flat panel and the other to your HD projector via your AVR 2808. Setting the HDMI SUB to ON is the correct setting for you. The AVR 2808 is a nice receiver but it is one of the older ones. If your Denon is not 3D ready, then it may freeze up if it ever gets 3D video not knowing how to handle it. As long as you stay 2D you will be fine. So don't worry, the sound from both HDMI outputs is the same quality as the source.

You probably got confused with the HIGH CLARITY SOUND setting. Panasonic's claim is that turning OFF the ANALOG VIDEO processing circuity will improve audio quality. That's done by setting HIGH CLARITY SOUND to ON. If you aren't using the analog video outputs, and you aren't, you can set it to OFF or ON as you wish. I doubt setting it to ON will make any audible improvement in the sound quality.
post #742 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Secondary audio needs to be on if you want to hear what's being said in the PIP (Picture-In-Picture) extras available on some BDs. There is no quality difference between bitstreamed and non-bitstreamed (LPCM) audio. The difference is only in where the bitstreamed audio is decoded into LPCM -- in the player or in the receiver. Many of us who have "audio OCD" wink.gif like to see the two different HD audio decoder lights illuminated on the receiver. You won't see them when sending decoded (LPCM) audio from the player.
I am using the 500 to decode the HD audio formats because my receiver is very old and very simple. Although it can decode the HD audio formats, it only displays STRAIGHT on the OSD instead of DD TrueHD or DTS-HD. frown.gif It bypasses DSP in STRAIGHT mode which is the same as having PURE DIRECT on, only DIRECT also blocks video output in addition to DSP. My receiver automatically gets locked into STRAIGHT mode whenever it decodes DD TrueHD or DTS-HD. If I try turning STRAIGHT off, it says, Sorry Dave I can't do that! Letting the BD player do the decoding takes care of that old glitch. biggrin.gif
post #743 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks a lot star Hawk:)

Regarding stereo sound recordings play back, will be the best to take analog signal from FL and FR analog outputs of the BTD500 and feed the Denon 2808 through its EXT IN analog ports ?

In this case the analog sound will pass through 2808, but for amplification I thing it is going to be transferred into digital again by the AVR. Is that correct ? And in this case will that affect the quality ?

Alternatively I can get the sound coming through the HDMI and do the decoding with the AVR in stereo mode. With that be better ??
post #744 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 AM

Hi

I have another problem , I have just copied some mp4 video files to my usb stick to play on the bdt500 but the player cant find the files ?

the mp4 files are from itunes but does the bdt500 require them to be stored in a folder on the usb stick?

cheers
post #745 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholia View Post

Thanks a lot star Hawk:)
Regarding stereo sound recordings play back, will be the best to take analog signal from FL and FR analog outputs of the BTD500 and feed the Denon 2808 through its EXT IN analog ports ?
In this case the analog sound will pass through 2808, but for amplification I thing it is going to be transferred into digital again by the AVR. Is that correct ? And in this case will that affect the quality ?
Alternatively I can get the sound coming through the HDMI and do the decoding with the AVR in stereo mode. With that be better ??
I say yes to your first question. If I were looking for the best quality stereo sound from 2 channel music recordings, I would set the 500 to 2 ch + 5.1 ch and feed the 500's FL and FR channel analog outputs to your 2808. I am not familiar with the 2808 though. So I would say the answer to your 2nd question is no, that is, if your 2808 has 7.1 analog inputs. I would use those instead of the stereo inputs. That way when you set your AVR to multi-channel input it shouldn't convert it to digital and send it directly to amplification. The answer to your 3rd question, for me personally, is no for stereo music. Use the 500's HDMI outputs but only for 5.1 - 7.1 movies to get the benefit of the 2808's Audyssey room calibration for the best movie sound. Then you can switch between two channel analog for music and HDMI multi-channel audio for movies. That's what I would do.
post #746 of 1802 Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM

QUITE CLEAR.

MANY THANKS.
smile.gif
post #747 of 1802 Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
If you use the multichannel analog inputs on your 2808, it won't be able to apply Audyssey room equalization: it can do that only for digital audio signals. Audyssey usually makes larger changes to the audio than the difference in quality between the D-to-A converters in the player and the D-to-A converters in the receiver. Audyssey works just as well for stereo music as it does for multichannel audio.

In other words, you listen to the sound you get when using HDMI and to the sound you get using the analog connections and use the one you prefer.

Selden
post #748 of 1802 Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

If you use the multichannel analog inputs on your 2808, it won't be able to apply Audyssey room equalization: it can do that only for digital audio signals. Audyssey usually makes larger changes to the audio than the difference in quality between the D-to-A converters in the player and the D-to-A converters in the receiver. Audyssey works just as well for stereo music as it does for multichannel audio.

AFAIK Audyssey only works for MC speaker setups.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #749 of 1802 Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

AFAIK Audyssey only works for MC speaker setups.

Most receivers, particularly older receivers, only apply Audyssey to digital inputs, not anaolg. In other words, the 2808 will not apply Audyssey Room Correction to multichannel analog inputs. Audyssey applies to digital stereo sources as well as MC sources over HDMI, Digital/coax. Here's the kicker on that one. Some receivers don't apply room correction to lossless TrueHD/DTS-MA, and MCPCM audio.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #750 of 1802 Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 AM

Well, do you really need ADYSSEY to listen stereo sound ?
Does it do anything to the stereo sound ?

If you put the 2808 in stereo mode, I guess ADYSSEY gets OFF by itself, even if the signal is digital and comes through HDMI.
smile.gif
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page