post #901 of 1817 Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusbf View Post

Hello
I've just ordered a BDT500EG (in Germany, as i'm located in Belgium) today so i will follow this forum from now on.
Has a multi region (bluray) hack been discussed in any of the previous pages ?
Sorry for any english mistakes.
Thank you. smile.gif
Firmware with Region Hack....
"DVD and Blu-ray region changing with the original Panasonic™ remote control (Available DVD regions: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 / Available Blu-ray regions: A,B,C) with DVD region verification deactivation"
http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=221
lazarusbf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1817 Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm only just starting to shop for one of these right now (need the 7.1 analog), and the ability to play MKV (or not) is a bit of an issue. (Mad that DivX isn't there, but Panasonic has a history of keeping DivX out of the U.S. for some reason.)

I do have a suggestion to those that are finding mixed MKV results.

Some devices are less flexible with what it can handle.
Try checking what profile level of working/non-working files? It may not like some higher profiles (tsmuxer gui can help with that).

Even remuxing with a different/newer program can make a difference.
I'd also make sure the device it is reading from isn't formatted with NTFS. exFAT removes the 4gb file size limit in FAT32 but is more compatible.

Edit: Also, is the wired LAN connection less troublesome than the WiFi? If so I'm thinking I might get inexpensive wireless bridge as a headache preventative.

--
(this space for rent)
post #903 of 1817 Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky83 View Post

"DVD and Blu-ray region changing with the original Panasonic™ remote control (Available DVD regions: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 / Available Blu-ray regions: A,B,C) with DVD region verification deactivation"

Thank you ! smile.gif

When this is done, should i avoid further official Panasonic firmware updates or does the hack remains valid/has to be done again ?
post #904 of 1817 Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 AM

Hello Sirs,

I recently ordered a BDT500 from amazon.

I have a denon 2309 and these are the features I need in the BDT500: dual hdmi out (denon 2309 does not have 3d pass through) and the burr brown dacs (might delay my need for a separate cd player for the meantime). I plan to have the MAIN HDMI out connected to the 3dtv and the HDMI SUB to the receiver.

I would also like to utilize the dacs in the player when listening to cd (which I assume would require me to use the analog outs).

My questions:

1. Is it possible to use both (analog and HDMI) for stereo and multichannel respectively?

2. What settings (video and audio) should I set within the player to set it to it's best possible quality while being accurate at the same time?

3. If I use the analog outs, will I still be able to utilize the audyssey and calibration features of the receiver?

Thank you very much in advance.
post #905 of 1817 Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Got this unit today about 6 hours ago.

Big big big positive WOW!

I unplugged my prior Panasonic blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP BD85) and plugged in the 500, didn't change any of the default settings.

Default setting blu-ray movie video playback has noticeably *better* blacks (for me the biggest surprise) and slightly better color saturation over my one prior blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP BD85) and also slightly better definition.

I used my Panasonic DMP BD85 remote and it worked fine for the 500. I'll try/deal with the new 500 touch pad remote at some point in the future.

Default DVD movie disc playback is also excellent, but not quite as shocking an improvement as the blu-ray.

CD disc playback is also excellent.

The real shocker was truly superior hi-rez .flac playback, both stereo and 5.1 24/96, via the front panel USB input with an external 2.5" HDD; I put both an NTFS and a FAT32 partition on the HDD with a bunch of 24/96 .flac flies on each partition; just plugged it in, not sure which partition it saw, but the player saw a partition and it's .flac files and the playback was incredibly awesome!

BTW no audio dropouts whatsoever.

A rare moment of true pleasure in the search for audio nirvana.

I am looking at this player and it seems to get good reviews. After reading and reading and reading this forum, I can't find anyone talking about the types of video files that are supported via an external HD via USB connection. I have a lot of different file types (.AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2).

Wil this unit play them?
post #906 of 1817 Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by riven319 View Post

Hello Sirs,
I recently ordered a BDT500 from amazon.
I have a denon 2309 and these are the features I need in the BDT500: dual hdmi out (denon 2309 does not have 3d pass through) and the burr brown dacs (might delay my need for a separate cd player for the meantime). I plan to have the MAIN HDMI out connected to the 3dtv and the HDMI SUB to the receiver.
I would also like to utilize the dacs in the player when listening to cd (which I assume would require me to use the analog outs).
My questions:
1. Is it possible to use both (analog and HDMI) for stereo and multichannel respectively?
2. What settings (video and audio) should I set within the player to set it to it's best possible quality while being accurate at the same time?
3. If I use the analog outs, will I still be able to utilize the audyssey and calibration features of the receiver?
Thank you very much in advance.

For 2:

Use 1080p and 24p on or off, depending on your set.

Turn all dynamic range and pic stuff off like Chroma, and use standard mode.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #907 of 1817 Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post

I am looking at this player and it seems to get good reviews. After reading and reading and reading this forum, I can't find anyone talking about the types of video files that are supported via an external HD via USB connection. I have a lot of different file types (.AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2).
Wil this unit play them?

That's quite a compliment; i.e. your quote of my 4 month old euphoric post about my new Panasonic DMP BDT500 player.

Keep in mind that a large part of that for me is that for audio I only use either 1) the 7.1 RCA analog outs or 2) the digital outs for stereo sound (coax/RCA or optical/Toslink or USB). For high quality output of analog sound (or as transport with digital stereo) this is as close as it gets to "best" at a street price of about $250.

So you have ".AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2" files on your PC HDD that you've ripped from blu-ray and/or DVD movies that you want a new blu-ray player to play?

Good luck with finding on answer on that here on AVS.

If you can't find any reliable answer elsewhere, consider buying from a seller that has a great return policy; and if it happens to work for what you want, be sure to not connect the player to the internet as that may result in a new firmware getting installed that will screw up the playback that you were getting from your .AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2 files on your PC HDD.

And FWIW I don't futz with playing .AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2 files from my PC HDD.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #908 of 1817 Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

That's quite a compliment; i.e. your quote of my 4 month old euphoric post about my new Panasonic DMP BDT500 player.
Keep in mind that a large part of that for me is that for audio I only use either 1) the 7.1 RCA analog outs or 2) the digital outs for stereo sound (coax/RCA or optical/Toslink or USB). For high quality output of analog sound (or as transport with digital stereo) this is as close as it gets to "best" at a street price of about $250.
So you have ".AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2" files on your PC HDD that you've ripped from blu-ray and/or DVD movies that you want a new blu-ray player to play?
Good luck with finding on answer on that here on AVS.
If you can't find any reliable answer elsewhere, consider buying from a seller that has a great return policy; and if it happens to work for what you want, be sure to not connect the player to the internet as that may result in a new firmware getting installed that will screw up the playback that you were getting from your .AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2 files on your PC HDD.
And FWIW I don't futz with playing .AVI/Mpeg/Mpeg-2 files from my PC HDD.

You won't find an answer because it isn't an easy question to answer. Some of those files are container files for video formats and not the specific codec and settings the device would need to support decoding, like MKV encoded with .H264. You haven't said enough about the file format.
post #909 of 1817 Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky83 View Post

Right, got my 500 today, i was very excited.
Picture quality quite astounding indeed, i got off very well with the remote immediately (probably because i'm used to touch screens).
Then i went straight to trying the hack, as i'm dying to watch my Park Chan Wook "Vengeance" Trilogy (region 1), but it didn't work.
I don't know what i'm doing wrong, do you have to type those numbers very quickly ?
After 'option', it won't let me go further than 3 digits anyway so the sequence 2708(+ the 2 other numbers for dvd zone and bluray region) is impossible to press, after the 2-7-0 it already shows in the upper right corner that i can't go further.
Is it because of the new official firmware which i've downloaded ?

confused.gif

EDIT Now i read again (sorry this is not my first language) what you say and the links you give, i'm supposed to download an alternative FW, but is this something i have to pay for ? it's not clear to me. Sorry. Is this method (http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=36) the only way ?
post #910 of 1817 Old 09-30-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusbf View Post

EDIT Now i read again (sorry this is not my first language) what you say and the links you give, i'm supposed to download an alternative FW, but is this something i have to pay for ? it's not clear to me. Sorry. Is this method (http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=36) the only way ?

Sorry I can't lend any further assistance as I do not own a 500 :-( but I'm hoping to get one eventually. Until I have one I can not lend any assistance other than to just be sure you're doing the firmware update properly.
post #911 of 1817 Old 09-30-2012, 02:52 AM

Right, i'm still undecided if i'm going to fill in the form and pay for a FW that will be obsolete at the next official FW. I might as well set the player in order to avoid automatic updates but surely one day i will have to update it for whatever reason and there's no way i'm going to pay twice or even more. That's just for a couple of region1 boxsets i own, otherwise 98% of my collection is R2.
I might give it a try though..
Depends on the cost. Application sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antivirus View Post

you should probably stay away from the firmware site with your limited English skills.

How very encouraging. rolleyes.gif
post #912 of 1817 Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 AM

End of story.
Account already deleted by Firmware Info. I was sure i hadn't made any typo mistakes, apparently there were some.
MAC address blocked.
How cool.
post #913 of 1817 Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Since Firmware Info is no longer an option, I guess I can tell you about the DVD region free hack now without making anyone too upset with me. This is for DVD only.

Panasonic DVD Region Free Hack for European Players using a One-for-all remote
post #914 of 1817 Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 AM

Thanks but i intended to get the bluray hack. I think i haven't got a single zone A dvd at home.
Now i will try to sell the couple of R1 bluray boxsets i have on ebay since my application was rejected.
post #915 of 1817 Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM

About the MAC address, i thought i was wrong but i found out it was just i had to put it in capital letters, that's why my registration on their site didn't work at first.
Then i copied & pasted their form, filled it in -IMO- correctly, and then got the email kicking me out 2 minutes later for not less than 3 reasons (!). Now i'd rather be banned for 3 reasons than just one, when i think of it, i would have been angrier still.
If ever there was some chip or device to buy to make my Panny500 multiregion, i would surely spend some more money. Apparently it doesn't exist.

It's quite pathetic that they can't even show you a single example of a correct application form, in order to help you succeed to get the hack. Looks like they don't need too much money as their rules are more than drastic. If ever my application form was granted i would have paid for the hack. Well they won't have my money then.
post #916 of 1817 Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

For 2:
Use 1080p and 24p on or off, depending on your set.
Turn all dynamic range and pic stuff off like Chroma, and use standard mode.

Thanks for your reply. Does the chroma processing really degrade PQ that much?

How about the audio enhancements? should I keep them off as well?

Thanks!
post #917 of 1817 Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 AM

Dear all,
I am using sony S-790 but recently am unable to play some of my bluray backups in the form of AVCHD folder via usb hdd.
can someone please help verify if the panny 500 will play bluray folders fine?

Thanks!
EK
post #918 of 1817 Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. Does the chroma processing really degrade PQ that much?
How about the audio enhancements? should I keep them off as well?
Thanks!

Not really, but in testing it has been shown to introduce color errors when on.

I turned off dialog enhancer and dynamic range compression, but use High Clarity Sound.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #919 of 1817 Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Not really, but in testing it has been shown to introduce color errors when on.
I turned off dialog enhancer and dynamic range compression, but use High Clarity Sound.

I see smile.gif

While I was reading the manual (Unit due to arrive tom probably)... I was thinking of how I should have it set up (with connections) then decided that I will connect HDMI main to the 3dtv and HDMI sub to the non-3d capable avr (Denon2309). I would also add RCA connectors (stereo) to the analog out (2ch/surround) and connect those to the analog CD input connector of the Denon -- which I plan to utilize during stereo listening sessions. Basically it will be HDMI for multichannel and Analog for stereo (CD) use..... do you think this will work? Thanks!
post #920 of 1817 Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 420
I see no reason to use analog at all. If you insist on using a separate input for CD playback, then I'd go with optical.
post #921 of 1817 Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

A lot of folks use analog for 2ch and HDMI for the other. Nothing wrong with either, just a preference. I only use HDMI now just because of ease and how my gear is setup.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #922 of 1817 Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Depends on what you want to use as your DAC. If you send optical then it is the AVR's DAC doing the decoding but if the DAC is better in the Panny then you would choose the analog.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #923 of 1817 Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Depends on what you want to use as your DAC. If you send optical then it is the AVR's DAC doing the decoding but if the DAC is better in the Panny then you would choose the analog.

Keep in mind your receiver must have a pure analog bypass. Some receivers convert all analog inputs to digital and you will ultimately be using the DAC in the receiver.
post #924 of 1817 Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

Keep in mind your receiver must have a pure analog bypass. Some receivers convert all analog inputs to digital and you will ultimately be using the DAC in the receiver.

How would I know that my receiver (Denon 2309) is capable of this? Is it the same as pure direct? Would also want to use the room corrections if possible.....

On the Multich side (via HDMI), is sending pcm instead of bitstream using the player's DACs instead of the receiver's?

Thanks! smile.gif
post #925 of 1817 Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 473
I don't know of any receiver which has ADCs on the multichannel analog inputs. That's why bass management (removing low frequencies from front and surround speakers) has to be provided by whatever device is connected using the multichannel analog inputs. All modern receivers and pre/pros do bass management in the digital domain. I'd be interested to learn of any receivers which do include multichannel digitization.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #926 of 1817 Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies!
How would I know that my receiver (Denon 2309) is capable of this? Is it the same as pure direct? Would also want to use the room corrections if possible.....
On the Multich side (via HDMI), is sending pcm instead of bitstream using the player's DACs instead of the receiver's?
Thanks! smile.gif

No, you would still be sending digital content to the receiver over HDMI. You would need to use an analog input, and then make sure the receiver does not reconvert to digital to apply room correction, etc. It may say in your receiver manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I don't know of any receiver which has ADCs on the multichannel analog inputs. That's why bass management (removing low frequencies from front and surround speakers) has to be provided by whatever device is connected using the multichannel analog inputs. All modern receivers and pre/pros do bass management in the digital domain. I'd be interested to learn of any receivers which do include multichannel digitization.

I am not sure on the receiver end, but for example the Anthem AVM50V pre/pro will do multichannel digitization as well are pure analog bypass on any analog input. The higher-end D2V has upsampling on every input as well if you wish to digitize. Their lower-end MRX receivers do not have multichannel input and all analog inputs are digitized to apply the ARC room correction. Even if you turn off the room correction, the receiver will still digitize all analog input. This type of feature varies per receiver model.

Many of these higher-end players with analog out are not really required, redundant when trying to use room correction in your pre/pro / receiver. All room correction uses some Digital Signal Processor (DSP) and requires a digital signal to apply the correction.
post #927 of 1817 Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifarooki7 View Post

Hi guys,
Ive just bought one of these BDT500's and i'm having a problem which i hope you guys can help me with. Basically my Sub Woofer doesnt seem to be working any more since i connected the BDT500. I can not figure what setting i need to alter to get it working again. The sub was working fine with the PS3 before i hooked up the BDT500
Heres my equipment list and how everything is setup:
Panasonic 42" Full HD 24p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-NR809 HD Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BDT500
HDMI Main to Onkyo BD HDMI (for picture and audio)
Sound Effects: Off
Dialog Enhancer: Off
Dynamic Range Compression: Off
Digital Audio Output:
Digital audio output to "Bitsream" for DTS HD and Dolby HD
BD Secondary Audio: Off
HDMI (Primary) Audio Output: On
PCM Down Conversion: Off
Down Mix: Surround Encoded
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Off
High Clarity Sound: Enable
Audio Delay: 0 ms
Analog Audio Output: 7.1 (Although i currently only have a 5.1 setup)
Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you are using Analog Audio O/Ps to connect this player to your receiver then check again by setting HDMI Audio Output to Off. I had encountered issues on multi-channel tracks including subwoofer o/p that got resolved by setting HDMI Audio to Off.
post #928 of 1817 Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM

Liked: 27
I still can't get this dang thing to play MKVs over the network without skipping constantly. . .

It plays blu-rays just fine, it's flac playback is nothing to write home about . . . but works.

But the MKVs, something my 2008 popcorn hour, my older HTPC, and every pc in my house can stream just fine from my NAS, this thing just pukes. I tried wired and wireless. . . no networking streaming works properly to keep up with 10+GB Files.

I bought this specific model over the others just for this feature, since it has dual cores versus single. It SHOULD be a beast with playback . .

**********EDIT************

Did some troubleshooting, works GREAT over USB drive, wired 1000 mb DOES NOT. I did a network analyze of the port, and it's a perfect drop . . 0% packet drops!

108MBPS transfer sustained from NAS to Line when I disconnect and connect my laptop to it. But a much slower USB works? No idea whats going on
post #929 of 1817 Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiraa View Post

Anyone have any better suggestions for a blu ray player that can handle ALL MKVs? I still can't get this dang thing to play MKVs without skipping constantly. . .
It plays blu-rays just fine, it's flac playback is nothing to write home about . . . but works.
But the MKVs, something my 2008 popcorn hour, my older HTPC, and every pc in my house can stream just fine off my NAS, this thing just pukes. I tried wired , wireless, usb . . . nothing works.
I bought this specific model over the others just for this feature, since it has dual cores versus single. It SHOULD be a beast with playback . .
**********EDIT************
Did some troubleshooting, works GREAT over USB drive, wired 1000 mb DOES NOT. I did a network analyze of the port, and it's a perfect drop.
108MBPS transfer substained from NAS to Line when I disconnect and connect my laptop to it.

The port in the player is 100Mpbs. I don't know of any players that will have gigabit ethernet.

This thread may be interest you:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1217626/any-players-have-a-gigabit-connection/30

Though I'm not sure what content you are streaming would have such a high bit-rate. That is more bandwidth than even a Blu-ray movie. It sounds like your encodes may be needlessly bloated.
post #930 of 1817 Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

The port in the player is 100Mpbs. I don't know of any players that will have gigabit ethernet.
This thread may be interest you:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1217626/any-players-have-a-gigabit-connection/30
Though I'm not sure what content you are streaming would have such a high bit-rate. That is more bandwidth than even a Blu-ray movie. It sounds like your encodes may be needlessly bloated.

The 100Mpbs should be more than capable of handling the stream, thats the issue.

Most of my blu-rays I convert over using MakeMKV from the original, I keep the originals in a nice case, the digitals I stream.

After they are raw stripped "loseless" they end up being between 15-25GB a piece (I strip any additional languages out, extras, menus, directors commentary etc)

Even at 25GB, for a 2 hr movie means the data rate needs to keep up with :

3.55 MBPS only sustained

100mbps network should have NO issue with that. So the question is, why can't it?

I know it isn't the NAS's problem, because i've speed tested it to be saturating the capability of 1gbps.
I know it isn't the Network drop, because I've saturated the capability of 1gbps disconnecting the Panasonic Blu-Ray and plugging in my laptop to run benchmarks.

Then proving the MKVs work perfect over USB2.0 . . . so I know it's not the decoding codec or capability of the CPU .

So it's 100% the issue of the network streaming. I've pinned the root cause.

Has anyone been successful network streaming BIG MKVs (15+GB??)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page