post #1501 of 1816 Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Void View Post

We think alike. I have been hoping it breaks but I'm sure the thing will last forever. It was a nice receiver in it's day, it's a Harmon/Kardon AVR-325. I honestly need to buy new speakers before upgrading the receiver, I'm using speakers I bought in college when I had very little money just to get OK sound with music and movies, that was around 1999 or 2000.
You will get all in due time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1816 Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Void View Post

I've only had this player two days and so far I'm impressed with the build quality, blu-ray and DVD playback but the network features are horrible. I bought this to replace my PS3 as a blu-ray player and for Netflix, Vudu and Amazon streaming. I read that the Netflix app is slow starting but it is also painfully slow to navigate and will almost never stream an HD picture. I don't think my connection or network is the problem since my PS3 on the same connection locks on to Super HD quickly and rarely drops lower. I have a 60Mbps internet connection and the player is wired to the router.

I have a Panasonic 65ST50 Plasma which also has a Netflix app which loads in a fraction of the time of this player and is much more responsive in navigation but it also will not stream Netflix in HD most of the time. I'm surprised this player has no info button in the Netflix app to show your stream info, my Panasonic TV does. It's odd that this player seems so slow compared to my TV since this has a dual core CPU and the TV only has a single core CPU.

I'm not sure if I should keep this player. I don't have enough inputs to keep it and the PS3 connected since my receiver is about 11 years old and has no HDMI inputs but does have 7.1 analog inputs. I don't think this can replace a PS3 since it can't stream Netflix acceptably. I debated on getting a Roku 3 for the streaming services but I still don't have enough inputs. The main reason I wanted to replace the PS3 was obnoxious fan noise while playing blu-rays. My original fat 80GB PS3 will quickly kick the fan into high while playing a blu-ray even though it is in the open with plenty of ventilation. I'm starting to think the only logical solution is to send this player back and stick with the PS3 until I can upgrade my ancient receiver which I can't sell my wife on.
You would probably be more at home with a Sony player if you can find one with the analog outputs you need. Otherwise shell out for an Oppo.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1503 of 1816 Old 12-31-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Fellas, I just got this player and I cannot get it to output anything more than 2.0 PCM (at least that is what my Soundbar receiver is telling me). I have it connected to a Sony CT150 that supports DTS and DD and I have tried every setting imaginable, but I simply can't get it to send something to my Soundbar receiver that it outputs as DD or DTS. Can some of you veteran owners help me out? I'm at my wits end with this. Also, plugged an older Sony player and got DD and DTS so I know it is something with the players settings.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #1504 of 1816 Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you RTFM? Check this on page 29:

Setup - Audio - Digital Audio Output

- AVStefan
post #1505 of 1816 Old 01-01-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

And you don't think I have done that? Come now, this isn't my first rodeo, and if it was simply something "in the manual", I dare say I wouldn't have come in here to ask the question. There is always the chance I have missed something, but there is no need for snarky and unhelpful replies.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #1506 of 1816 Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just asking. You also didn't tell us HOW it was connected.

Check this on page 29:

There are notes that appear on screen about setting bitstream and NOT using secondary audio.

If that doesn't do it I am guessing you have connected both HDMI from player direct to TV and another HDMI or coax/optical to the sound bar. In which case you should try HDMI Audio Output OFF as explained on Page 29, or just eliminate the direct to TV connection since the Sony CT150 supports HDMI.

- AVStefan
post #1507 of 1816 Old 01-01-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_man View Post

I purchased one of these back in September. It is an amazing bargain for it's current price of $160 on Amazon. I was torn between the OPPO BDP-103, OPPO BDP-105 as I needed good RCA Analog outs as I run 2 channel stereo system with music sound quality my main objective. I was drawn to this player by some positive user reviews and by the What Hi Fi review where they liked it more than the OPPO's.
I have not had many problems with Netflix as others have experienced here. Sound quality is great through the analog outs and 3D is quite impressive.
I have a fair amount of SACD's and a few DVD-Audio discs which this player does not support but for the low price I have decided to keep my Denon DVD-2930ci to play those in my collection. I am really enjoying my current set up.
Here is the link to the What Hi Fi review in case you have not seen it before.
http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-dmp-bdt500
Happy New Year to everyone!

I saw no mention of either Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 in that review.confused.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1508 of 1816 Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I was just asking. You also didn't tell us HOW it was connected.

Check this on page 29:

There are notes that appear on screen about setting bitstream and NOT using secondary audio.

If that doesn't do it I am guessing you have connected both HDMI from player direct to TV and another HDMI or coax/optical to the sound bar. In which case you should try HDMI Audio Output OFF as explained on Page 29, or just eliminate the direct to TV connection since the Sony CT150 supports HDMI.

Turns out it was some sort of cable issue. I switched to another cable (disconnected my XBOX 360 temporarily) and it worked fine. This is the first HDMI cable I have ever had a problem with, but it was an older cable and is no great loss. I need to order some new ones from Monoprice anyway, so its no big deal. I just knew it was going to be a setting though, considering it's the first dual-HDMI player I have used with my setup, but oh well.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #1509 of 1816 Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I saw no mention of either Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 in that review.confused.gif

It is under the "Your Opinion" section of the review where a potential buyer asks about the Oppo and the Panasonic. Andy Clough from the magazine responds saying they liked the Panasonic more than the Oppo BDP-93. It is about a third of the way down the page. The magazine also reviews the Oppo BDP-103EU. I have no opinion as I have not had an Oppo in my system. Try this link. http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/user-reviews
post #1510 of 1816 Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 AM

Liked: 19
Just a short summary. This is by far the best AV gadget I ever have owned. Yes I have owned a Oppo.
This Pana 500 is soooo mesmerezing (sic!) fantastic, both in practical daily use, and the blurays it plays it cant get any better.
I have now fulll 7.1 surround out of it, and return to last played on every disk, this havent happened on my Sony players.
post #1511 of 1816 Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_man View Post

It is under the "Your Opinion" section of the review where a potential buyer asks about the Oppo and the Panasonic. Andy Clough from the magazine responds saying they liked the Panasonic more than the Oppo BDP-93. It is about a third of the way down the page. The magazine also reviews the Oppo BDP-103EU. I have no opinion as I have not had an Oppo in my system. Try this link. http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/user-reviews

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Have a safe and Happy New Year.smile.gif

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #1512 of 1816 Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 AM

Liked: 11
Hi and happy new year everyone !

My first question of the year :
Do you think it's possible to use the subwoofer out plug of the BDT500 to connect a subwoofer, and in the meantime have an AV receiver connected via HDMI to play the other 5 speakers ?
It'd be a way to have two subwoofers for example, or in my case, connect a Buttkicker (and its amp) to it.

Thank you.
post #1513 of 1816 Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Have a safe and Happy New Year.smile.gif

Willie

You are welcomed. It looks as though you have had experience with these players and was wondering how you think they compare? I really wanted to get the OPPO BDP-105 for many reasons one being to use it's DAC for my Logitech Squeezebox Touch but the deals on Amazon for the Panasonic were hard to resist. I kept my Denon DVD-2930ci to play my SACD's and DVD-Audio's so I am partway there. Here is a link for their review of the OPPO BDP-103 http://www.whathifi.com/review/oppo-bdp-103eu
Have a great and Happy New Year!
post #1514 of 1816 Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Is it worth the upgrade from my Sony S5100 to this player if I only use HDMI? I didnt know if the video quality was actually worth it..

Rotting my brain one movie at a time!

Sony 55A3000

Sony 5100 BD

Mitsu 73837

post #1515 of 1816 Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Liked: 10
I'm also wondering if this thing is worth upgrading to as it is 2 years old now. The other player I was looking at is the Panasonic DMP-BDT330 which is similarly priced. I'd be running HDMIs out to the TV (Pany plasma) and receiver (Yamaha 1900). Just looking for opinions and I'm not sure what else is out there in this price range. My old Sony 570 has been giving me some issues on rare occasion.
post #1516 of 1816 Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedklz View Post

Is it worth the upgrade from my Sony S5100 to this player if I only use HDMI? I didnt know if the video quality was actually worth it..

If you are only using HDMI and won't be using the analog RCA outs (either stereo or surround) I would say stick with your Sony S5100. The S5100 is a very good Blu-ray player. You would be paying extra for the analog outs and Burr Brown DAC's that you wouldn't be using anyway. In some of the previous posts here I showed some "What Hi Fi" reviews here is what they say about the Sony S5100. They really like it a lot. http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdp-s5100
post #1517 of 1816 Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg33 View Post

Hi and happy new year everyone !

My first question of the year :
Do you think it's possible to use the subwoofer out plug of the BDT500 to connect a subwoofer, and in the meantime have an AV receiver connected via HDMI to play the other 5 speakers ?
It'd be a way to have two subwoofers for example, or in my case, connect a Buttkicker (and its amp) to it.

Thank you.
Hi again,

I just tried to connect my subwoofer on the analog out of the bdt500 and it worked, but when I switch my AV receiver ON (which is connected via HDMI), my subwoofer stops playing.
HDMI has the supremacy. It seems I cannot have both.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. wink.gif
post #1518 of 1816 Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Hi guys, I just recently upgraded one of our receivers to Denon AVR X3000 and have the BDT500. Dispay is Panasonic VT60. In the audio settings it asks me to choose either 2.1 with 5.1 downmix, or something like that, or 7.1 analog. We have a 7.1 speaker set up, also connected to the receiver. I am still learning about all of these settings, and am not clear which to choose. I have the BD player connected to the receiver. Also, should V.Sub be on or off? Thanks in advance for your help.
post #1519 of 1816 Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbabe View Post

Hi guys, I just recently upgraded one of our receivers to Denon AVR X3000 and have the BDT500. Dispay is Panasonic VT60. In the audio settings it asks me to choose either 2.1 with 5.1 downmix, or something like that, or 7.1 analog. We have a 7.1 speaker set up, also connected to the receiver. I am still learning about all of these settings, and am not clear which to choose. I have the BD player connected to the receiver. Also, should V.Sub be on or off? Thanks in advance for your help.
If you are using HDMI those particular settings don't matter. I would use one HDMI cable from the BDT500 to your new X3000 and let it do all audio processing. Set the player to bitstream and make sure Secondary Audio is off and you'll be fine. You can leave everything else at default.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1520 of 1816 Old 01-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Thanks, S, I appreciate it!
post #1521 of 1816 Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello to all.

I made a 5.1 AVCHD test disk that has pink noise (WAV) in all channels, in order to balance my speakers.

My player is setup as 4.0. I have no center speaker nor subwoofer.

I don't get to hear the LFE channel. I was kind of expecting that if I set up the player as no subwoofer the LFE channel would go to the main speakers. Silly me, as that is probably a bad idea: you don't want War of the Worlds LFE bass going to your main speakers, in most cases.

What puzzles me is what then the SW present or not adjustment in the player is for? Just to turn the LFE output of the player off or on?

Perhaps I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #1522 of 1816 Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM

Is there a list of the various firmware updates that has been released for this player. I just purchased this a few weeks ago, and am trying to see how 'stable' the player is at this point, to continue my evaluation on whether 'enhanced' firmware is an option for me (since this usually needs paid updating if Panasonic releases another firmware).
post #1523 of 1816 Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Does anybody know what could be causing a flickering on the brightness when watching Netflix. It doesn't occur when watching any other online service like Vudu, or with blurays, only Netflix and only when a video is playing.

Correction... It does it with Vudu too, have to watch a few more blurays to see if it happens with them.

I'm on a wired connection with Fios and using Netflix through Chromecast (wifi) doesn't have this problem.

Okay I've narrowed it down to CINEMA MODE. There's no fluctuation in brightness in normal setting, just when in cinema mode.

Has anybody and idea why?
post #1524 of 1816 Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi again,

I just tried to connect my subwoofer on the analog out of the bdt500 and it worked, but when I switch my AV receiver ON (which is connected via HDMI), my subwoofer stops playing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. wink.gif

I use the 500's analog outs... my preamp has no HDMI, so I didn't know the 500's HDMI would over-ride analog outs. But I believe in the 500's audio settings, if you elect not to "Clarity Sound", the analogs may still fire - or is that pertaining to video only. However, so that everything is synced at the correct time, I'd think it's best to tap off your receiver for the additional sub - maybe a male to dual female splitter off your receiver's sub-out. If you allow your sub to control the cut-off, then other receiver outs would also work, ie: pre-out or record-out. I'd probably elect to use a splitter off the receiver's sub-out to maintain the channel delay (and cut-off freq.) I set for the sub(s).

FYI for dual subs with a receiver (or preamp) with both RCA and XLR (balanced) sub out... this acts as two sub-outs. The Monoprice XLR end and cable to RCA termination I received recently is wired proper. I presume the benefit (besides the addtional sub-out) of using a XLR cable run to an RCA only sub is that the cable is (should be) well shielded. Like this
post #1525 of 1816 Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Has anyone encountered when playing a Blu Ray rental that there are no previews and it would go directly to the movie menu? I sometimes like watching previews and would like to view them. Is there a way to do so with this player? I'm new to the Blu Ray world, so unsure if it's a setting with the BDT500 or something with the disc. I watched Man of Steel and Wolverine and they both jumped straight to the movie. Are the preview trailers streaming from BD Live? I don't have a SD card in the player yet, but can get one. Does BD Live auto load then and if the player doesn't detect a SD card, it would go directly to the movie menu? Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.
post #1526 of 1816 Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you turn on the receiver an HDMI handshake occurs and it tells the player to send bitstream. I don't think the player can decode the audio (for analog output) and bitstream at the same time.

You can try setting the digital audio output to PCM instead of bitstream. This way the player MUST decode, and analog output should work. I'm just not sure if you will get full PCM 7.1 or a downmix sent to the receiver. There is another setting for that, so sit down with the user manual and review all audio setup options.
mlg33 likes this.

- AVStefan
post #1527 of 1816 Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphengsiar View Post

Has anyone encountered when playing a Blu Ray rental that there are no previews and it would go directly to the movie menu? I sometimes like watching previews and would like to view them. Is there a way to do so with this player? I'm new to the Blu Ray world, so unsure if it's a setting with the BDT500 or something with the disc. I watched Man of Steel and Wolverine and they both jumped straight to the movie. Are the preview trailers streaming from BD Live? I don't have a SD card in the player yet, but can get one. Does BD Live auto load then and if the player doesn't detect a SD card, it would go directly to the movie menu? Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sometimes there are no trailers, or trailers can be selected from the "extras" menu.
BD Live trailers may require extra memory to buffer them, and the internet. I hope they would not stream over the internet automatically without user selection, as that could blow users' bandwidth limits!

- AVStefan
post #1528 of 1816 Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbabe View Post

Is there a list of the various firmware updates that has been released for this player. I just purchased this a few weeks ago, and am trying to see how 'stable' the player is at this point, to continue my evaluation on whether 'enhanced' firmware is an option for me (since this usually needs paid updating if Panasonic releases another firmware).

There haven't been too many updates lately. The last one (1.4.x to 1.6.x) was the only one they pushed out since I bought the player, and it didn't seem to change anything. I'd say it's relatively stable.

- AVStefan
post #1529 of 1816 Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphengsiar View Post

Sometimes rentals do not have previews.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #1530 of 1816 Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

There haven't been too many updates lately. The last one (1.4.x to 1.6.x) was the only one they pushed out since I bought the player, and it didn't seem to change anything. I'd say it's relatively stable.

Thanks a lot AV-I appreciate the help
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page