Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 1802 Old 01-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphengsiar View Post

Has anyone encountered when playing a Blu Ray rental that there are no previews and it would go directly to the movie menu?

I've recently had several Netflix "rental-only" disks show up. They had none of the niceties of regular disks. No extras, no trailers, just an ugly "Play" and "Settings" menu from the 90s smile.gif

Some of them are nicely marked as "Rental Only" but most are not. The player also does not like them very much, with me having to send back some of them 3-4 times before getting one that plays through properly. Some are so bad they don't play on either of the 2 players I normally use, the Panny and a Pioneer.
artur9 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 1802 Old 01-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Member
 
outlanderbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I searched the thread but didn't seem to come across what I was looking for. I was wondering if someone could explain "picture mode" and then spot check my settings. My setup is simple. BDT500 goes HDMI to Denon x4000 (5.1 speakers) to Panny P60ST50. I only use the player to watch Blu-ray movies. Here are my settings. Am I missing anything obvious?

picture mode: normal
picture adjustment: did not touch
chroma process: off
detail clarity: 0
super resolution: 0
HDMI Output: did not touch
still mode: Auto
seamless play: On
Black Level Control: Lighter

Sound effects: off
dialog enhancer: off
dynamic range compression: off
digital audio output
dolby d/doby d +/ dolby true hd: bitstream
DTS/DTS-HD: Bitstream
BD-video secondary audio: off
HDMI Audio Output: On
PCM down conversion: off
downmix: stereo
7.1ch audio reformatting: auto
high clarity sound: disable
audio delay: 0 ms
analog audio output: 2ch + 5.1ch

thank you!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
outlanderbz is offline  
post #1533 of 1802 Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fookoo_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlanderbz View Post

I searched the thread but didn't seem to come across what I was looking for. I was wondering if someone could explain "picture mode" and then spot check my settings. My setup is simple. BDT500 goes HDMI to Denon x4000 (5.1 speakers) to Panny P60ST50. I only use the player to watch Blu-ray movies. Here are my settings. Am I missing anything obvious?
picture mode: normal
Quote:

Picture mode as normal only benefits if you don't have a calibrated display. The default with the proprietary Panasonic chip makes a calibrated display look very odd. Depending upon your hardware, you could go with Cinema Mode and set the display as normal or vice versa, depending upon your display.
fookoo_2010 is offline  
post #1534 of 1802 Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,867
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 370
^^^
Outlander, your other settings all look good. Of course some, like audio delay, may need to change depending on the disc, or DRC depending on your neighbors.
outlanderbz likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mdavej is offline  
post #1535 of 1802 Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Member
 
outlanderbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^
Outlander, your other settings all look good. Of course some, like audio delay, may need to change depending on the disc, or DRC depending on your neighbors.

Do you have an opinion on the "picture mode" setting? I haven't had time to test it yet either way. I just want my player to send the sound and picture to my devices without being manipulated. I will let my Denon and Panny Plasma do the work, unless there is a good reason not to do it that way.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
outlanderbz is offline  
post #1536 of 1802 Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Member
 
outlanderbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Picture mode as normal only benefits if you don't have a calibrated display. The default with the proprietary Panasonic chip makes a calibrated display look very odd. Depending upon your hardware, you could go with Cinema Mode and set the display as normal or vice versa, depending upon your display.

I am a little confused. Are you saying I shouldn't use "Normal" picture mode? My display isn't professionally calibrated but I did follow one of the top users in this forum on my display and conditioned it and then set it like is. I find the picture to be great. How do I get the BDT500 to do nothing to my picture but send it? "user"?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
outlanderbz is offline  
post #1537 of 1802 Old 01-07-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have a calibrated Panny plasma and use Normal. I use all defaults except HDMI Color Mode: RGB Standard, and Super Resolution: 1 (which only affects DVD). I have double checked with test patterns and these settings provide correct sharpness and pass the chroma bursts.
outlanderbz likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is online now  
post #1538 of 1802 Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Member
 
outlanderbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I have a calibrated Panny plasma and use Normal. I use all defaults except HDMI Color Mode: RGB Standard, and Super Resolution: 1 (which only affects DVD). I have double checked with test patterns and these settings provide correct sharpness and pass the chroma bursts.

was chroma process on a default, i forget if I turned that off or not. I am not familiar with the whole HDMI color mode stuff so perhaps I should read up on that!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
outlanderbz is offline  
post #1539 of 1802 Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlanderbz View Post

was chroma process on a default, i forget if I turned that off or not. I am not familiar with the whole HDMI color mode stuff so perhaps I should read up on that!
It was on by default. Most of the power-users here turn it off for purity's sake, but I leave it on Advanced since I saw no real drawback and I like the image quality.
outlanderbz likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is online now  
post #1540 of 1802 Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Member
 
punking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So nobody here has a problem with online services like Netflix and Vudu when the player's picture mode is in cinema?

Just little old me.
punking is offline  
post #1541 of 1802 Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Member
 
mlg33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

When you turn on the receiver an HDMI handshake occurs and it tells the player to send bitstream. I don't think the player can decode the audio (for analog output) and bitstream at the same time.

You can try setting the digital audio output to PCM instead of bitstream. This way the player MUST decode, and analog output should work. I'm just not sure if you will get full PCM 7.1 or a downmix sent to the receiver. There is another setting for that, so sit down with the user manual and review all audio setup options.
Wow ! Very interesting ! Good idea!
That's why forums are so useful.

I'll give it a try and let you know.
Thank you. smile.gif
mlg33 is offline  
post #1542 of 1802 Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by punking View Post

So nobody here has a problem with online services like Netflix and Vudu when the player's picture mode is in cinema?

Just little old me.

Is your firmware up to date? I recall complaints of Netflix flickering on older Panasonic models, a few years ago.

By the way I recommend you use Normal picture mode for the most accurate picture with least "editorial manipulation".

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is online now  
post #1543 of 1802 Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Member
 
defjamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Is your firmware up to date? I recall complaints of Netflix flickering on older Panasonic models, a few years ago.

By the way I recommend you use Normal picture mode for the most accurate picture with least "editorial manipulation".

Thanks for this! I just picked up a BDT500, and was searching online for the correct "unmanipulated" picture mode. (Normal) it is..

Rec Room: Sony 70X850B/Yamaha A1010/Denon DBT1713/Definitive BP8, CLR2300, SM350/Martin Logan Dynamo1000
Living Room: Samsung 75HU8550/Yamaha A730/Definitive BP8040, BP6, SC4000 Mythos 3/PS3, Xbox 360
Office: Audioengine N22/Fiio D3 DAC/Athena P5/Polk PSW10
Car: Acura ELS DVD-audio/Focal
defjamz is offline  
post #1544 of 1802 Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Member
 
punking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Is your firmware up to date? I recall complaints of Netflix flickering on older Panasonic models, a few years ago.

By the way I recommend you use Normal picture mode for the most accurate picture with least "editorial manipulation".

Yes, the firmware is up to date. I'm going try different ways of connecting it to the TV (bypassing the Amp, etc)

Although going off what you say, I might as well just leave it in normal and pretend cinema mode doesn't exist, because then the problem "goes away".
punking is offline  
post #1545 of 1802 Old 01-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Member
 
RAMWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

 

I just spend a boat load of money on a new Panasonic Blu-Ray player (BDT500T) and a new Yamaha receiver (RX-V673).  Both, in my opinion, are decent and more money than I really had to spend but I wanted quality and components that would last me a while.  My older Onkyo receiver was just not up to snuff any more (no HDMI ports etc....) and was good to me for 17 years but time to move forward. 

 

So here is what I'm experiencing.  I've attempted to hook up the Panasonic to the Yamaha as best as I could figure out.  Apparently I'm doing something wrong. The player works and the Sceptre TV is displaying the picture beautifully.  I tried to using the HDMI OUT port on the Yamaha to the Panasonic blu-ray player and then used the HDMI 01 port from the receiver to the TV.  Like I say, I get a picture but the sound is all screwy. 

 

I'd like to take advantage of some surround sound from the 4 speakers I have around the living room but all I'm getting is background sounds like music and effects but the voice track is turned off.  I've looked over all of the settings for the Panasonic and well there are just too many and so I tried setting everything back to factory and that's still no good. 

 

The Yamaha receiver has got 5 HDMI ports in the back as well as the aforementioned HDMI OUT port, it's also got the RCA audio out ports too as well as other types I don't or never have used.  It connects to the internet and includes internet radio (which I'm looking forward to getting set up as I have a Sky.FM account). 

 

I was so hoping this was going to be easy just plug into an HDMI port and away I go.  Nope.  I guess not.  Not sure why all this audio / video stuff has to be so darned messy to figure out.  Yamaha gave me very little to go on in the way of a manual.  More like quick start SHEET for a few features and other than that nada. 

 

Panasonic Blu-Ray player has a pretty nice manual but I get lost trying to understand it. 

 

HELP?? 

 

Thanks

 

Richard

RAMWolff is offline  
post #1546 of 1802 Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMWolff View Post

Hi,

I just spend a boat load of money on a new Panasonic Blu-Ray player (BDT500T) and a new Yamaha receiver (RX-V673).  Both, in my opinion, are decent and more money than I really had to spend but I wanted quality and components that would last me a while.  My older Onkyo receiver was just not up to snuff any more (no HDMI ports etc....) and was good to me for 17 years but time to move forward. 

So here is what I'm experiencing.  I've attempted to hook up the Panasonic to the Yamaha as best as I could figure out.  Apparently I'm doing something wrong. The player works and theSceptre TV is displaying the picture beautifully.  I tried to using the HDMI OUT port on the Yamaha to the Panasonic blu-ray player and then used the HDMI 01 port from the receiver to the TV.  Like I say, I get a picture but the sound is all screwy. 

I'd like to take advantage of some surround sound from the 4 speakers I have around the living room but all I'm getting is background sounds like music and effects but the voice track is turned off.  I've looked over all of the settings for the Panasonic and well there are just too many and so I tried setting everything back to factory and that's still no good. 

The Yamaha receiver has got 5 HDMI ports in the back as well as the aforementioned HDMI OUT port, it's also got the RCA audio out ports too as well as other types I don't or never have used.  It connects to the internet and includes internet radio (which I'm looking forward to getting set up as I have a Sky.FM account). 

I was so hoping this was going to be easy just plug into an HDMI port and away I go.  Nope.  I guess not.  Not sure why all this audio / video stuff has to be so darned messy to figure out.  Yamaha gave me very little to go on in the way of a manual.  More like quick start SHEET for a few features and other than that nada. 

Panasonic Blu-Ray player has a pretty nice manual but I get lost trying to understand it. 

HELP?? 

Thanks

Richard

You need to use the HDMI OUT port TO the TV. Use one of the INPUT ports to connect FROM your bluray player. Think of your receiver as a switching device. If you have cable or satellite tv,etc. use another INPUT port to connect the box.

I HATE that these companies are no longer furnishing a printed manual! You'll need to go to the manual online, the website will be somewhere in the setup guide you have. I had to print out another manual today for another tv I purchased.

Hope this helps. Hang in there, you'll get it!wink.gif

Ed
RAMWolff likes this.
old corps is offline  
post #1547 of 1802 Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 3,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I tried to using the HDMI OUT port on the Yamaha to the Panasonic blu-ray player and then used the HDMI 01 port from the receiver to the TV.

The Panasonic BDT500 doesn't do HDMI in. It has 2 ports so it can do HDMI audio out to a non 3D receiver and then 3D out to a 3D display.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #1548 of 1802 Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Member
 
RAMWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks Ed. 

 

I gotta work tomorrow so won't have time to tear it all apart again until Sunday but I'll just bet your advice will be good.  You know when your in the middle of this sort of thing it pays to have a more knowledgeable friend around to throw info at you to get ya on the right path.  I finally got the Blu-Ray player going and watched a movie.  I ended up taking the 4 speakers 8 input wires and putting them on the just 4 audio input screws and that seemed to help give me some sound for the night but the TV coming through the Direct TV box is not getting any audio so yea, Sunday will be all about getting this on it's way. 

 

The receiver did come with a disk that is actually the manual and some codes to get the remote set up for the TV and perhaps some other stuff.  Will have to read through the manual (Probably a printable PDF).  I agree, a printed manual is better as I don't have the computer in the same room as I'm a graphics artist so my computer is a huge desktop that's set up in the other room.  Grrrr

 

Your right, I'll get it eventually.  Thanks for the help! 

 

Rich

RAMWolff is offline  
post #1549 of 1802 Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMWolff View Post

Thanks Ed. 

I gotta work tomorrow so won't have time to tear it all apart again until Sunday but I'll just bet your advice will be good.  You know when your in the middle of this sort of thing it pays to have a more knowledgeable friend around to throw info at you to get ya on the right path.  I finally got the Blu-Ray player going and watched a movie.  I ended up taking the 4 speakers 8 input wires and putting them on the just 4 audio input screws and that seemed to help give me some sound for the night but the TV coming through the Direct TV box is not getting any audio so yea, Sunday will be all about getting this on it's way. 

The receiver did come with a disk that is actually the manual and some codes to get the remote set up for the TV and perhaps some other stuff.  Will have to read through the manual (Probably a printable PDF).  I agree, a printed manual is better as I don't have the computer in the same room as I'm a graphics artist so my computer is a huge desktop that's set up in the other room.  Grrrr

Your right, I'll get it eventually.  Thanks for the help! 

Rich

You're welcome Rich, glad you got the bluray working. I'm sure you're not getting audio from the DTV box because of a setting on either the Direct receiver or the Panny BRP.*** I know it can get VERY frustrating, especially when you're learning! Cussing helps.......wink.gif

Ed


***Meant to say the Yamaha receiver!
old corps is offline  
post #1550 of 1802 Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

I tried to using the HDMI OUT port on the Yamaha to the Panasonic blu-ray player and then used the HDMI 01 port from the receiver to the TV.

The Panasonic BDT500 doesn't do HDMI in. It has 2 ports so it can do HDMI audio out to a non 3D receiver and then 3D out to a 3D display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

I tried to using the HDMI OUT port on the Yamaha to the Panasonic blu-ray player and then used the HDMI 01 port from the receiver to the TV.

The Panasonic BDT500 doesn't do HDMI in. It has 2 ports so it can do HDMI audio out to a non 3D receiver and then 3D out to a 3D display.

+!1

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #1551 of 1802 Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMWolff View Post

I just spend a boat load of money on a new Panasonic Blu-Ray player (BDT500T) and a new Yamaha receiver (RX-V673).  Both, in my opinion, are decent and more money than I really had to spend but I wanted quality and components that would last me a while.  My older Onkyo receiver was just not up to snuff any more (no HDMI ports etc....) and was good to me for 17 years but time to move forward. 

So here is what I'm experiencing.  I've attempted to hook up the Panasonic to the Yamaha as best as I could figure out.  Apparently I'm doing something wrong. The player works and theSceptre TV is displaying the picture beautifully.  I tried to using the HDMI OUT port on the Yamaha to the Panasonic blu-ray player and then used the HDMI 01 port from the receiver to the TV.  Like I say, I get a picture but the sound is all screwy. 

So who got your boat load of money and are you able to ask them for basic setup advice?

Sounds like you connected an output to an output... interesting that it worked at all!
old corps and CatchersDad like this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is online now  
post #1552 of 1802 Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
CatchersDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41

Sounds to me like he's got an hdmi output from the receiver going to an output on the bd player too AVfile, should be hdmi main output from bd player to hdmi input on receiver and then hdmi out (ARC) from receiver to hdmi (ARC) in on the TV. Or, depending on your receiver and setup, hdmi main output from bd player to hdmi input on TV and hdmi sub out from bd to receiver hdmi in.

 

Would need more info on your receiver, plus if you've spent all this money you at least need to hook it up to surround 5.1. Just hooking it up to 4 speakers only complicates matters. There also may be some audio settings you need to change on the bd player AND the receiver depending on your final setup. Have fun! :D 

old corps likes this.
CatchersDad is offline  
post #1553 of 1802 Old 01-11-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchersDad View Post

Sounds to me like he's got an hdmi output from the receiver going to an output on the bd player too AVfile, should be hdmi output from bd player to hdmi input on receiver and hdmi out from receiver to hdmi in on TV.

Yep. He's learning though--got the bluray player working! Hey, I've done much dumber things..........rolleyes.gif

Ed
CatchersDad likes this.
old corps is offline  
post #1554 of 1802 Old 01-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Senior Member
 
CatchersDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post


Yep. He's learning though--got the bluray player working! Hey, I've done much dumber things..........rolleyes.gif

Ed

 

Haven't we all!

 

And he's just getting started.....now the real fun begins when he has to figure out all the hard stuff.

CatchersDad is offline  
post #1555 of 1802 Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Member
 
RAMWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post


So who got your boat load of money and are you able to ask them for basic setup advice?

Sounds like you connected an output to an output... interesting that it worked at all!


Hiya,

 

bought this from Amazon.

 

I'm currently in the process of printing out what materials I need to get this done step by step but I've run into another issue.  In the manual, which is pretty replete with info, does not explain how to connect a Direct TV box since the TV needs that in order to even get a television signal.

 

So do I run the HDMI Output from the back of the receiver to the TV's HDMI port 01 still?  I'm confused about this because if I turn it all on using the Logitech controller and have it set to HDMI 01 via the DTV box then not sure how to get the surround from the Yamaha!  Plus on the back of the DTV box there is only ONE HDMI (Out) port.  Then there are RCA, Coaxial and a Digital options too. 

RAMWolff is offline  
post #1556 of 1802 Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Member
 
RAMWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchersDad View Post
 

Sounds to me like he's got an hdmi output from the receiver going to an output on the bd player too AVfile, should be hdmi main output from bd player to hdmi input on receiver and then hdmi out (ARC) from receiver to hdmi (ARC) in on the TV. Or, depending on your receiver and setup, hdmi main output from bd player to hdmi input on TV and hdmi sub out from bd to receiver hdmi in.

 

Would need more info on your receiver, plus if you've spent all this money you at least need to hook it up to surround 5.1. Just hooking it up to 4 speakers only complicates matters. There also may be some audio settings you need to change on the bd player AND the receiver depending on your final setup. Have fun! :D 


Yes, you are correct.  I really messed that part up with the outputs.  The BD player does have 2 HDMI ports.  AV Out Main and AV Out Sub. 

RAMWolff is offline  
post #1557 of 1802 Old 01-12-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Steve--To connect the DTV box you run a HDMI cable from that box to an INPUT port (you choose one-doesn't HAVE to say satellite) on the Yamaha. Remember what I said about your A/V receiver being a switching device. The OUTPUT port on the Yamaha will send your satellite signal to your TV when you select the correct input on it. Any other device you have or acquire works the same way though it may have to be hooked up via component or composite with separate audio if the device doesn't have HDMI. Hope this helps.

Ed
AVfile and RAMWolff like this.
old corps is offline  
post #1558 of 1802 Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

... you run a HDMI cable from that box to an INPUT port (you choose one-doesn't HAVE to say satellite) on the Yamaha. ...
Ed

Right, everything that you have with an HDMI output should have a cable running to an HDMI input on the Yamaha. Then a single HDMI cable from the HDMI output of the Yamaha to the TV.

Then you just select which input to watch on the Yamaha and never change the input of the TV.

HTH.
AVfile, old corps and RAMWolff like this.
artur9 is online now  
post #1559 of 1802 Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Member
 
RAMWolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Steve--To connect the DTV box you run a HDMI cable from that box to an INPUT port (you choose one-doesn't HAVE to say satellite) on the Yamaha. Remember what I said about your A/V receiver being a switching device. The OUTPUT port on the Yamaha will send your satellite signal to your TV when you select the correct input on it. Any other device you have or acquire works the same way though it may have to be hooked up via component or composite with separate audio if the device doesn't have HDMI. Hope this helps.

Ed


OK, hopefully I'm understanding this now. 

 

HDMI OUT port from the Yamaha goes to the TV. 

 

THEN hook in all other components to HDMI IN ports directly to the Yamaha?

 

Also I got another interesting one for you guys, if my above info is on the right track, I got one of those new Chromecast devices that stream music and video services, kinda like a Roku box but much much smaller.  It literally fits in the palm of my hand.  Would I hook that into one of the HDMI ports in the back of the Yamaha as well?  Currently it's in HDMI port 04 in the back of the TV. 

 

I really hope I'm getting this now.  I got the speakers hooked up correctly via the printed out manual pages.  I just have 4 speakers so used the two Front and the two Surround sets to get them hooked. 

 

Changed my Avatar as I use that sort of visual to see who I'm talking too kept getting mixed up!  lmao

 

Thanks....

RAMWolff is offline  
post #1560 of 1802 Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMWolff View Post


OK, hopefully I'm understanding this now. 

HDMI OUT port from the Yamaha goes to the TV. 

THEN hook in all other components to HDMI IN ports directly to the Yamaha?

Also I got another interesting one for you guys, if my above info is on the right track, I got one of those new Chromecast devices that stream music and video services, kinda like a Roku box but much much smaller.  It literally fits in the palm of my hand.  Would I hook that into one of the HDMI ports in the back of the Yamaha as well?  Currently it's in HDMI port 04 in the back of the TV. 

I really hope I'm getting this now.  I got the speakers hooked up correctly via the printed out manual pages.  I just have 4 speakers so used the two Front and the two Surround sets to get them hooked. 

Changed my Avatar as I use that sort of visual to see who I'm talking too kept getting mixed up!  lmao

Thanks....

YES!!! I would think the Chromecast stick would also work fine plugged into the A/V receiver since it's also HDMI. smile.gif

Ed
RAMWolff likes this.
old corps is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off