post #1621 of 1802 Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe View Post

Just received my Panny BDT500P from Amazon and I'm curious why the P at the end of the model number? Haven't seen that listed anywhere before. Haven't hooked it up yet, but it seems solidly built for sure!

What country are you in? I checked your profile but saw no info.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1802 Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Just received my Panny BDT500P from Amazon and I'm curious why the P at the end of the model number? Haven't seen that listed anywhere before. Haven't hooked it up yet, but it seems solidly built for sure!

Noticed the "P" as well in my Amazon order - I am in the US
post #1623 of 1802 Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm in the US. Connected it to my new 5030ub and must be having a handshake issue. It picked up the signal initially, but when I connected another device to the other had I port on projector and went back to Panasonic 500 it says no signal. Plugged that hdmi into an older hd set and it worked. Connected another blu ray player to the projector and that worked. Connected the Panny 500 to a new samsung led and that worked. So, where am I going wrong? I need this thing to work!
post #1624 of 1802 Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I'm in the US. Connected it to my new 5030ub and must be having a handshake issue. It picked up the signal initially, but when I connected another device to the other had I port on projector and went back to Panasonic 500 it says no signal. Plugged that hdmi into an older hd set and it worked. Connected another blu ray player to the projector and that worked. Connected the Panny 500 to a new samsung led and that worked. So, where am I going wrong? I need this thing to work!

Do you have a different cable you could try? Some of the older cables aren't quite up to spec and I've had a series of (pretty old) cables of all kinds go bad.
post #1625 of 1802 Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 PM

Both cables I used are fine with the Panny and my samsung tv. One is brand new and rated for 3d spec.
post #1626 of 1802 Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I'm sorta in the market for a new BD player and interested in the BDT500. My Panasonic DMP-BD55 is getting a little long in the tooth. It stills plays fine but is really slow to load a movie. Would love to buy an Oppo but can't justify the price. I tried a Sony 510 from Costco and the build quality is really cheap, hate the angled top and was dead out of the box (playing movie only). I'll be connect to a Onkyo 876 and a ZT60 TV. So some questions about the 500:

1) This model seems to be last years model. I don't need 4K so is it worth the Amazon price in todays market?
2) I read where people were having problems with the player loosing the wireless connection. Is steaming an issue?
3) What's your opinion about the build quality?
4) Does it stream ads like some of the other Panasonic players?
post #1627 of 1802 Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The BDT500 is still Panasonic's flagship player, if memory serves (see also Sony's BDP-S790, which I think is finally being supplanted this year--after two years). From my experience it's built reasonably well and pretty darn quick on the uptake with BDs; that said I don't use mine for streaming anything more than videos off my LAN (and it's admittedly rather picky about what videos it will and won't play), so I'm not too sure about that side of the fence beyond that at the moment. (This Netflix one-month trial will be a fun test, I gather.) I'm admittedly not crazy about the touchpad on its remote either, but I just deal with that.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #1628 of 1802 Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

I'm sorta in the market for a new BD player and interested in the BDT500. My Panasonic DMP-BD55 is getting a little long in the tooth. It stills plays fine but is really slow to load a movie. Would love to buy an Oppo but can't justify the price. I tried a Sony 510 from Costco and the build quality is really cheap, hate the angled top and was dead out of the box (playing movie only). I'll be connect to a Onkyo 876 and a ZT60 TV. So some questions about the 500:

1) This model seems to be last years model. I don't need 4K so is it worth the Amazon price in todays market?
2) I read where people were having problems with the player loosing the wireless connection. Is steaming an issue?
3) What's your opinion about the build quality?
4) Does it stream ads like some of the other Panasonic players?

1) 4K isn't all that it's made out to be. You only need 4k with something bigger than 55" and when your sitting less than 8 feet from it. It's also expensive yet.
2) I've not had the 500 loose wifi connectivity yet (on the latest FW) and it streams amazon reasonably well.
3) Moderate to high build quality. As good as my 2007 600 dollar player was (and it doesn't even do 1/2 the stuff this one does).
4) NO ads that I've seen.

I've had really good luck with this player and it does the things I wanted it to do. If it dies, I'll be SOL to find a better replacement other than an OPPO or cambridge at twice the price....

-troy
AVfile likes this.
post #1629 of 1802 Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

The BDT500 is still Panasonic's flagship player, if memory serves (see also Sony's BDP-S790, which I think is finally being supplanted this year--after two years). From my experience it's built reasonably well and pretty darn quick on the uptake with BDs; that said I don't use mine for streaming anything more than videos off my LAN (and it's admittedly rather picky about what videos it will and won't play), so I'm not too sure about that side of the fence beyond that at the moment. (This Netflix one-month trial will be a fun test, I gather.) I'm admittedly not crazy about the touchpad on its remote either, but I just deal with that.

Sony has gone the way of "Well, if the spec doesn't call for it, we won't put it in our player" so they are no longer an option for me and my Onkyo 805 receiver. The Panny 500 also solved my issues with Disney movies that I had with the Sony and others.

-troy
post #1630 of 1802 Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 PM

My BDT500 arrived today - 2 days early!!! I have not hooked it up yet since I got the BDT220 last week and loving it for the fact it can play Disney movie's "Monsters's University" without audio drop outs bit stream to my Pioneer VSX-33 receiver. I know the BDT500 will play it flawlessly as well!! The only ads I see are in the "Viera Connect" on the home page but you can customize it and move the sponsored ad to another home screen and also when you enter the "market" to download additional apps it will play an ad on the top left corner. Otherwise the ads are not intrusive like it was on the BDT330. I have had no issues with Netflix streaming on the 220 but will admit it is a little slow to open and browse.
post #1631 of 1802 Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't use mine for streaming anything more than videos off my LAN (and it's admittedly rather picky about what videos it will and won't play)

I've never had any luck getting any panasonic device to play videos off my LAN. What format have you used that works?
post #1632 of 1802 Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
It seems to only really like MPEG4-encoded files (and the occasional AVI, though I'm not sure how they're encoded right this second). In theory it will also play MKV -encoded files, but I haven't really messed around with those; I may experiment with encoding some files myself in Handbrake and see what happens.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #1633 of 1802 Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It seems to only really like MPEG4-encoded files (and the occasional AVI, though I'm not sure how they're encoded right this second). In theory it will also play MKV -encoded files, but I haven't really messed around with those; I may experiment with encoding some files myself in Handbrake and see what happens.

Yeah, I've been trying MKVs and they never work. I cannot use MPEG4 because they don't support subtitles.
post #1634 of 1802 Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post

My BDT500 arrived today - 2 days early!!! I have not hooked it up yet since I got the BDT220 last week and loving it for the fact it can play Disney movie's "Monsters's University" without audio drop outs bit stream to my Pioneer VSX-33 receiver. I know the BDT500 will play it flawlessly as well!! The only ads I see are in the "Viera Connect" on the home page but you can customize it and move the sponsored ad to another home screen and also when you enter the "market" to download additional apps it will play an ad on the top left corner. Otherwise the ads are not intrusive like it was on the BDT330. I have had no issues with Netflix streaming on the 220 but will admit it is a little slow to open and browse.

My BDT500 will not play Monster's University without the audio dropouts. It was very annoying. Had to switch to an older Sony to watch it.
post #1635 of 1802 Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:

My BDT500 will not play Monster's University without the audio dropouts. It was very annoying. Had to switch to an older Sony to watch it.

I had to turn the Chroma Process to off - if set to normal or advanced I will have audio drop outs. Do you have the latest 1.63 firmware?

You can also set the player to PCM Dolby and that will cure the problem as well.
post #1636 of 1802 Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:

I had to turn the Chroma Process to off - if set to normal or advanced I will have audio drop outs. Do you have the latest 1.63 firmware?

You can also set the player to PCM Dolby and that will cure the problem as well.

I set up my player as what is in this website:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/my-settings-for-the-panasonic-dmp-bdt500eb

I don't have any issues playing the MU discs with advanced turned on as in this case. My FW is version 1.63.

-troy
post #1637 of 1802 Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Both cables I used are fine with the Panny and my samsung tv. One is brand new and rated for 3d spec.

How far is the HDMI run? 10ft, 100ft? What gauge HDMI did you get? Signal quality over distance can be an issue. Even cables rated for 3d may not be enough, I've had to move to 1.4 with ethernet to get the most bandwidth out of standard HighSpeed HDMI cables....my 1.3 spec cables didn't cut it.
post #1638 of 1802 Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a question about the Dolby/Dts HD audio formats. I use my BDT500 in a 2 channel setup using the analog 2 channel outs to an older stereo receiver. I am wondering if during the downmix of the hd formats the signal is compressed or if the channels are simply downmixed without loss of resolution (as far as the sample/bitrates go). ???

Doug
post #1639 of 1802 Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post

I set up my player as what is in this website:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/my-settings-for-the-panasonic-dmp-bdt500eb

I don't have any issues playing the MU discs with advanced turned on as in this case. My FW is version 1.63.

-troy

Thanks for the informative posts about the BDT-500 working with Disney discs.

Finally hooked up my Panasonic BDT-500 - I left Chroma Process on Advanced and played the "Monsters University" 3D disk and it played flawlessly - My 2D disc on the other hand is defective because it locks up the player at the 40 minute mark. This could possibly explain why every player I tried it on acts up at the 40 minute mark. The odd thing is if I skip directly to the 40 minute mark it plays fine. tried setting output to PCM and it did the same. I have ordered another 2D disc and hopefully it does not have issues!!!

EDIT: Gave the 2D disc a good cleaning and now it plays perfectly!!! The disc did not look dirty so surprised cleaning it worked

Netflix is also faster on this player compared to the Panasonic BDT-220
post #1640 of 1802 Old 02-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the informative posts about the BDT-500 working with Disney discs.

Finally hooked up my Panasonic BDT-500 - I left Chroma Process on Advanced and played the "Monsters University" 3D disk and it played flawlessly - My 2D disc on the other hand is defective because it locks up the player at the 40 minute mark. This could possibly explain why every player I tried it on acts up at the 40 minute mark. The odd thing is if I skip directly to the 40 minute mark it plays fine. tried setting output to PCM and it did the same. I have ordered another 2D disc and hopefully it does not have issues!!!

In my case, I only use the 2D disc, never 3d. I don't have nor do I want to experience 3D at home....just not enough screen to justify that.

-troy
post #1641 of 1802 Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What's the general opinion of this player now that it's been out for about 2 years? I've read some reviews about loosing wifi and other issues. Haven't had time to read through this entire thread yet, but was curious if everyone here that bought one is still happy? -redjr

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #1642 of 1802 Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

What's the general opinion of this player now that it's been out for about 2 years? I've read some reviews about loosing wifi and other issues. Haven't had time to read through this entire thread yet, but was curious if everyone here that bought one is still happy? -redjr
still happy with mines
post #1643 of 1802 Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

It's a great player and a good alternative if you don't want to spring for an Oppo. I never had problems with WI-fi or any other issues other than the remote and Panny's usual unique ways of doing things. There was a recent review in Sound and Vision mag that perfectly sums up it's pros and cons. One problem if you are using Component outs. They are SD only in newer versions of the player thanks to the idiocy of the analog sunset. IIRC, newer FW updates will also disable this in older players.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-dmp-bdt500-blu-ray-3d-player
post #1644 of 1802 Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Just look back 3 days on this page. I really like it and I have several players including Oppo.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1645 of 1802 Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 PM

I have only had the player a few days and loving it mostly for the fact I can bit stream "Disney" titles without audio dropouts to Pioneer VSX 33. The 2D & 3D picture quality is just stunning compared to my previous player Sony BX510. It can also play Sony "Mastered in 4K" discs without issue - I had problems with the newer Panasonic BDT330. The player does support the x.y color so when playing Sony "mastered in 4K discs my Sharp tv will switch over to the x.y color mode. No issues with wifi - the router is just a few feet away from player. Can stream Super HD with Netflix along with Dolby Digital Plus. Only wish would be a much better YouTube client like the one found on the BDT330 and also a newer Hulu client like found on the Sony players. Otherwise I love the build quality of the player - like the fact it has legs so I can stack it on top of my DirecTV DVR.
post #1646 of 1802 Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goty2001 View Post

Up to a few minutes ago Iwas about to buy a 500 to go with an Optoma HD33 pj,and a Denon 1507 AVR.  I intend to HDMI video to pj, and analog sound to the AVR (which doesn't have HDMI...analog sound from older samsung DVD player has been great). I'd rank my priorities as:
2D DVDs
3D Blu Rays
A bit of Web (wifi) browsing/Youtube.
TV broadcasts via HD STB (when I get one)
CDs
Decent sound to my Mordant Short 5.1 speakers is important all round.
At £200, is it a good choice?  Will I tickthose boxes and get much better under, say, £350?
So what did you buy?

redjr...

post #1647 of 1802 Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it didn't take me long to get off the fence as they say. smile.gif I just couldn't resist the closeout price at Amazon for $160USD. Since I already have a Pioneer Elite DVD player for SACD and DVD-AUDIO, and another Elite model blu-ray player, I only needed this Panasonic for it's 3D capabilities - which I understand are quite, quite excellent. I know the Oppo 103 would have been a better choice, but since I already have a heathly stable of players including (HD-DVD - large library eek.gif), I just couldn't justify the added $350USD in price. Analog out is nice to have, but in my case, not an absolute necessity. Another reason that helped this decision was pairing it with my new 65" Panasonic 3D plasma TV that will soon have a new home in my basement man-cave/media room. Having a single branded TV and blu-ray cuts down on the number of remotes lying around. smile.gif WiFi is nice to have too, but since I have a gigabit wired house the Panny will be hard-wired. I think I have enough players for now! biggrin.gif -redjr
AVfile likes this.

redjr...

post #1648 of 1802 Old 02-07-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:

So what did you buy?

He purchased the 500. Noted in a previous post.
Order one for myself from Amazon today. Price too good to pass up.
post #1649 of 1802 Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

He purchased the 500. Noted in a previous post.
Order one for myself from Amazon today. Price too good to pass up.
Sorry, I missed that. My thought exactly. Most all of my 'semi-ref' quality gear I've tried to find and buy on clearance or close-out. A little looking can sometime yield some nice stuff. smile.gif This may not be reference level, but it's at least Panny's flagship product. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Unrelated, but back not so many years ago I bought into the HD-DVD format now defunct. frown.gif At the time I had a rather large library of discs and I was able to pick-up the Toshiba flagship HD-DVD player for roughly 10% of retail. I still use it today for both HD-DVD playback, as well as a very solid and hefty CD transport using it's stereo analog out. But I digress. smile.gif - redjr

redjr...

post #1650 of 1802 Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 PM

Liked: 41

I just got one of these and am wondering what folks have the unit picture settings set to for any that have a Panasonic VT60, both 2D and 3D? I currently have my normal settings for OTA on the TV set to custom Pro2 settings input from the Sound and Vision calibration for 2D and 3D and they are fantastic but wondering if I can milk even more out of the BDT500?

TIA

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page