post #1711 of 1837 Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

You would be quite happy with either players PQ on Blu-ray and DVD. Unless you need all the additional features of the Oppo I would purchase the Panasonic.smile.gif

Especially when it was $159 on Amazon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1837 Old 02-23-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

You would be quite happy with either players PQ on Blu-ray and DVD. Unless you need all the additional features of the Oppo I would purchase the Panasonic.smile.gif
Or both
post #1713 of 1837 Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbob View Post

Okay, I have the Panny 500 and the Oppo 103D, which is the Darbee player. This is just my humble opinion as I have become familiar with both players.

Watching blu-ray or up-converted DVD movies both units produce excellent picture and sound. I would be hard pressed to tell you which machine was playing if I didn’t know ahead of time. Both players are also capable of playing streamed 24 bit flac files.

However there are some differences. I like the Darbee effect on the Oppo although it may not be for everyone. The Oppo also is 4k capable and can play SACD’s. The build quality on the Oppo is better than the Panny although I have not had a problem with either. The Panny’s remote is terrible, but I have a Harmony One remote that can control either player.

All that being said, the Panny today is probably $400 cheaper than the Oppo. If price were a issue I would go with the Panny. There is no noticeable difference in the picture & sound for everyday blu-ray or DVD playback. If the cost is not a big issue and you like the idea of the Darbee, 4k or SACD capabilities, I would go with the Oppo. Another option could be the Oppo 103 (no Darbee) for $100 less than the 103D.

thank you so much. This is very valuable information for me. Then i will go for panasonic. I dont have 4k tv and play music files from my mp3 player. So the panasonic would be enough. The oppo is so ****ing expensive in holland. Price is near 1200$ and the panasonic 350$ huge price gap. If i lived in america then i would go for the oppo.since i can get it for only 500$ and maybe even cheaper.

But thanks for your.information. i have the panasonic pdp vt60
post #1714 of 1837 Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrios007 View Post

thank you so much. This is very valuable information for me. Then i will go for panasonic. I dont have 4k tv and play music files from my mp3 player. So the panasonic would be enough. The oppo is so ****ing expensive in holland. Price is near 1200$ and the panasonic 350$ huge price gap. If i lived in america then i would go for the oppo.since i can get it for only 500$ and maybe even cheaper.

But thanks for your.information. i have the panasonic pdp vt60

Here is what you should do.

Buy that Pana 500 in a amsterdam super store. Then buy that Darbee Darblet from amazon usa, only usd 50 shipped to Holland.

Then you would have the same setup as me here in Norway :-)
I use full pop at 40% which give fantastic pics on my benq 1070 from my Pana 500
dimitrios007 likes this.
post #1715 of 1837 Old 02-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

Especially when it was $159 on Amazon.

Or $48.99 open box at Best Buy earlier today? biggrin.gif

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #1716 of 1837 Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 279
The OPPO BDP-105 may seem pricey, but it is well worth it.

The audio quality is the State Of The Art!!

The SABRE processors are incredible.

I bought the Ayre C5xe in 2006, and it was $6000. It was the top dog in CD/SACD sound quality for years.

When I bought my OPPO, I sold my Ayre for over twice what I paid for the OPPO.

The OPPO unquestionably sounds better.

When one considers that there are many players out there selling for as much as $8000 that don't sound as good, one gets a different perspective on the $1200 price.

As for video, I can only say that I have found no fault with it, but I am only using a 2.1 sound system and am not concerned with the latest little Blu-Ray surround tweaks.

Everything looks fantastic on my new 60" Sony 550 series monitor, which I love.

BTW-Incidentally, I have a few discs that I bought in 1984 when I bought my first Magnavox/Phillips CD player. Most of them were put out by Denon and Delos. They did not sound very good until I got the Ayre player, and then the OPPO. The best players make a HUGE difference in sound quality.

Almost all of the old CDs that I had written off as poorly recorded or otherwise defective sound great on the OPPO (I still have a few that WERE almost certainly poorly recorded...different story there).
post #1717 of 1837 Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
recently purchased the bdt500 and in setting it up wondered if someone can tell me specially what chroma process does? will it sharpen blu ray image or affect color? and what is best setting and why? thanks.
post #1718 of 1837 Old 02-28-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper57 View Post

recently purchased the bdt500 and in setting it up wondered if someone can tell me specially what chroma process does? will it sharpen blu ray image or affect color? and what is best setting and why? thanks.

From the manual page 26 - Chroma Process: The high resolution processing of HDMI chroma signals produces a high resolution picture with rich picture quality

I have mine set to "ADVANCED"
post #1719 of 1837 Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply.
post #1720 of 1837 Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone know how to get that stupid onscreen guide off the TV screen? I use a Harmony One.

post #1721 of 1837 Old 03-09-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

Anyone know how to get that stupid onscreen guide off the TV screen? I use a Harmony One.

What onscreen guide? Anything that is generated by the player can be removed by pressing exit on the regular remote. Perhaps you need to program that key into your Harmony.
post #1722 of 1837 Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

What onscreen guide? Anything that is generated by the player can be removed by pressing exit on the regular remote. Perhaps you need to program that key into your Harmony.

Its a guide in the bottom right corner has a play button arrows, etc. I got rid of it yesterday by unplugging the player from the back. But I will see about adding an exit button on my Harmony, Thank You.

post #1723 of 1837 Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

Its a guide in the bottom right corner has a play button arrows, etc. I got rid of it yesterday by unplugging the player from the back. But I will see about adding an exit button on my Harmony, Thank You.

Hmm. That should disappear if you press play, etc. Glad to see you got it to disappear.
post #1724 of 1837 Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I've seen that little bugger appear and it was hard to get rid of. EXIT / KEYS on the remote did not work. I think going to the HOME (menu of the player, not the disc) did the trick.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1725 of 1837 Old 03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just started using my Panasonic BDT500 and have a few questions for you experts out there.

Is there any sort of screensaver that is available as an option? My display has the possibility of image retention, and my old Toshiba player automatically displayed a screensaver whenever I hit pause. Not so with the Panasonic, apparently. I was under the impression from reading some literature before buying the unit that the player would remember where you last stopped watching the movie, and automatically queue up to that point. If that's so, I could simply hit stop which would produce a dark screen, and then hit play and resume. However, when I called Panasonic support I did not get any confirmatory information.

More annoying to me than the touchpad is the peculiar color scheme of the setup menus. Everything is in pastels which, frankly, is not the greatest choice as it is low contrast. I have to say it's the most uncongenial setup screen that I've used in a long time. On the upside, there are many options available.

Thanks.
post #1726 of 1837 Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I just started using my Panasonic BDT500 and have a few questions for you experts out there.
I was under the impression from reading some literature before buying the unit that the player would remember where you last stopped watching the movie, and automatically queue up to that point.

I think this is under the control of the disc, so it's been very hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and IIRC it even showed the promos then queued up to where I had left off.
post #1727 of 1837 Old 03-12-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Any thoughts about the pastel setup menu or apparent lack of screensaver?
post #1728 of 1837 Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any thoughts about the pastel setup menu or apparent lack of screensaver?

There is a screensaver. Home>System>Display Settings>Screen Saver Function. IIRC, it will come on after a few minutes. It doesn't come on immediately.

In addition you can use any photo for the menu. I loaded mine off an SD card. A 16:9 pic works best. You can also load a different photo for each user.
post #1729 of 1837 Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, ti-triodes. You know more than the Panasonic rep with whom I spoke.

One thing I notice already with the BDT 500 is that sound is much better than my old player. Regarding video, this is my first Blu-Ray player and it is amazing with standard upscaled DVDs. As far as Blu Ray is concerned I'm still playing around with settings.

My first Blu Ray viewing was North by Northwest. In reviews the disc and transfer were raved about. I initially found the picture variable in quality. Some scenes were extremely rich and dimensional, others were too dark or, weirdly, too light. It's a 60 year old film.

I then watched The Final Countdown, a SciFi with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas from the 70's. Some scenes looked amazing, with the helicopter and planes looking so solid and real that I could almost touch them. Other parts of the film looked too dark or even faded. Curious!

Regarding the Pastel Menus I found that changing to a dark wallpaper helped somewhat, but I sure would have chosen a more contrasty scheme for the menu fonts.

I'm okay with the touchpad remote, but ordered the BDT 220 remote at my girlfriend's urging.
post #1730 of 1837 Old 03-14-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, ti-triodes. You know more than the Panasonic rep with whom I spoke.

One thing I notice already with the BDT 500 is that sound is much better than my old player. Regarding video, this is my first Blu-Ray player and it is amazing with standard upscaled DVDs. As far as Blu Ray is concerned I'm still playing around with settings.

My first Blu Ray viewing was North by Northwest. In reviews the disc and transfer were raved about. I initially found the picture variable in quality. Some scenes were extremely rich and dimensional, others were too dark or, weirdly, too light. It's a 60 year old film.

I then watched The Final Countdown, a SciFi with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas from the 70's. Some scenes looked amazing, with the helicopter and planes looking so solid and real that I could almost touch them. Other parts of the film looked too dark or even faded. Curious!

Regarding the Pastel Menus I found that changing to a dark wallpaper helped somewhat, but I sure would have chosen a more contrasty scheme for the menu fonts.

I'm okay with the touchpad remote, but ordered the BDT 220 remote at my girlfriend's urging.

LOL. The Panny reps are notorious for being useless. I'm sure they are hiring people at minimum wage, like most corporations. You'll get much more help around here. NxNw is very highly regarded but I found it's PQ to be on par with most older movies. A bit variable but the greatness of the movie more than makes up for it. Countdown is generally known to be problematic. You need to check out something more modern to see what the 500 can do. It's a top notch machine.

Good call on the remote. Most people don't use them, at least around here.
post #1731 of 1837 Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Once again, ti-triodes, you show yourself to be one of the cognoscenti. I'm impressed by your knowledge of specific titles. I do want to check out newer titles, but have you seen the Bu-Ray Vertigo?

I had the pleasure of running into Martin Landau once when I was driving, and needed directions. Given that North by Northwest is such a great film and a favorite of mine, I was full of enthusiasm when I complimented him for his superb performance. He is a very kind and modest man in person, and he was genuinely happy to hear my comment. He and James Mason were really a pair of villains in that film.
post #1732 of 1837 Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once again, ti-triodes, you show yourself to be one of the cognoscenti. I'm impressed by your knowledge of specific titles. I do want to check out newer titles, but have you seen the Bu-Ray Vertigo?

I had the pleasure of running into Martin Landau once when I was driving, and needed directions. Given that North by Northwest is such a great film and a favorite of mine, I was full of enthusiasm when I complimented him for his superb performance. He is a very kind and modest man in person, and he was genuinely happy to hear my comment. He and James Mason were really a pair of villains in that film.

Thanks, but compared to some of the people around here I'm just muddling through. smile.gif

Funny, I have the Hitchcock BD box set and Vertigo is the only movie I've watched so far. I absolutely loved the PQ and thought it was better than NxNw. OTOH, I'm not sure if it was due to Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, or the master storyteller himself. biggrin.gif
post #1733 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, both women are fetching...one being safe, and the other being a Lillith character. But Kim Novak at that age was unbelievable.

There's a whole flap about the restored stereo soundtrack and enhanced (and new) sound effects. What's your take?

Also, where are you on the YCbCr (both variants)/RGB debate? And do you use the chroma processor?

The screen saver was already on by default (sorry Panasonic rep), but it didn't come on after 2 or 3 minutes. I stopped waiting after that.
post #1734 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 627
I'm not sure what "debate" you're referring to. Which of the various color transport encodings should be used depends on what equipment you have. Some combinations of display, cabling and source device work better (i.e. produce more accurate colors or minimal dropouts) with one, some with another. You have to try them to find out for sure.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #1735 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

I'm not sure what "debate" you're referring to. Which of the various color transport encodings should be used depends on what equipment you have. Some combinations of display, cabling and source device work better (i.e. produce more accurate colors or minimal dropouts) with one, some with another. You have to try them to find out for sure.[/q"uote]

Reading back on the forum people have different opinions on these things. I was asking his opinion.

Of course I'm trying different settings.
post #1736 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please help... I've been having a lot of trouble getting Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to work. I opened it up from the box. Updated the firmware. HDMI main to the TV and HDMI Sub to my Marantz 5006. I would think it would be a simple as that. But obviously its not. Whenever I check my Marantz receiver it says PCM is the audio format. I played around with it for a few hours changing a bunch of settings and could never figure it out. Factory reset it and now I'm looking for help..

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
post #1737 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoexxl View Post

Please help... I've been having a lot of trouble getting Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to work. I opened it up from the box. Updated the firmware. HDMI main to the TV and HDMI Sub to my Marantz 5006. I would think it would be a simple as that. But obviously its not. Whenever I check my Marantz receiver it says PCM is the audio format. I played around with it for a few hours changing a bunch of settings and could never figure it out. Factory reset it and now I'm looking for help..

Doesn't quite work that way. Set “HDMI(SUB) Output Mode” to “V.OFF” (pages 11 and 28 of the owner's manual)

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1738 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Okay, that definitely seem to help. The PCM option is gone but I still don't have HD audio. Is there something else I need to turn on or off?

post #1739 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Make sure you have the Marantz set to AMP in the setup menu. Also try the audio button on the 500 remote to see if you can get to TrueHD or DTS Master depending on the Blu-ray disc. Also, many rentals do not include an HD audio option. What movie are you playing?

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1740 of 1837 Old 03-15-2014, 04:39 PM

9y4u2uha.jpgI think everything on my Marantz is set to auto. The weird part is the Blu ray player is telling me in the status section that it's HD audio. But on my receiver I don't see any HD audio options. I don't understand that at all. Do I have everything correct on the picture?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page