Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1771 of 1800 Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Chise. I agree HDMI is way to go, if I had a new receiver.....

Tks wse. I understand THX is not a format to decode. My mistake, I did read up on it before.

No comments on BDT500 analog output level being much lower than Digital or anyway to raise it ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1800 Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DRODRAY View Post

Chise. I agree HDMI is way to go, if I had a new receiver.....

Tks wse. I understand THX is not a format to decode. My mistake, I did read up on it before.

No comments on BDT500 analog output level being much lower than Digital or anyway to raise it ?

Some receivers have thx- sound modes my sc-37 has them.
post #1773 of 1800 Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

Some receivers have thx- sound modes my sc-37 has them.

Yes some of the higher end Pioneer receivers have THX certified sound mode and even mid priced Onkyo receivers have it as well for  under $1,000. Avatar was filmed using THX along with some other movies. I guess this would be useful only if movie is filmed using THX mode. Not sure though, as I have a very old receiver.

cheers

post #1774 of 1800 Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DRODRAY View Post

Yes some of the higher end Pioneer receivers have THX certified sound mode and even mid priced Onkyo receivers have it as well for  under $1,000. Avatar was filmed using THX along with some other movies. I guess this would be useful only if movie is filmed using THX mode. Not sure though, as I have a very old receiver.

cheers
Now what movies come in thx that I don't know.
post #1775 of 1800 Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It has nothing to do with how the movie was made.

Back on topic, the analog output level cannot be raised as it would cause clipping of analog inputs on people's pre-amps, especially during very loud and dynamic Blu-rays.

You need to see if your receiver has an adjustment for analog INPUT level. If not, turn up the volume.

Stefan

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1776 of 1800 Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Back on topic, the analog output level cannot be raised as it would cause clipping of analog inputs on people's pre-amps, especially during very loud and dynamic Blu-rays.

You need to see if your receiver has an adjustment for analog INPUT level. If not, turn up the volume.

Stefan

Tks for your reply Stefan

Makes sense the analog OUTPUT level cannot be raised on the player, as that is the reason why LFE sub level also needs to be raised on the receiver 10-15db. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything in the manual or elsewhere that my Yamaha RX-V620 has an adjustment that can raise the analog INPUT level. Also there is nothing in my receiver manual that shows a LFE level adjustment (raise 10db ?) using the analog inputs. I did send an e-mail to Yamaha asking if the RX-V620 automatically raises the LFE level when using the analog inputs, which I heard some receivers do.

If my receiver does not have any adjustment to raise the analog input level "OR" the analog LFE level, there is too much of a difference between the analog and digital sound level. When using the multi-channel analog inputs, I also noticed a big drop in bass. Watching Avatar using the digital optical, and my BDT500 set to Bitstream, my receiver decoded DTS and the sound was really loud, shaking the room. Switching to 6 channel analog on my receiver, it did sound good, but there was a huge difference in sound level, the analog being much lower and no room shaking with the low LFE level also. I have a huge Great Room + vaulted ceilings, so the low analog level is very noticeable. If I had to raise the volume level any more on my receiver using the analog inputs, would I not be get distortion, running close to receivers max volume level ?

I gather using the BDT500's internal Quad Burr Brown DAC's and analog outputs would "ONLY" be beneficial if my older receiver had an adjustment for analog input level "AND" adjustment for LFE level. If someone has an older receiver with outdated HDMI, it would be very useful having 2 HDMI outs, but the BDT500's internal DAC's would then not be used, unless they make a difference when listening to music CD's ? (hopefully it does as I haven't tried it yet to compare to my older dedicated CD player...)  Also if someone has an older 7.1 receiver (no HDMI) and could use all 8 analog channels, the analog sound quality difference I gather would definitely be better for the new 7.1 HD audio formats, than downgrading signal to 5.1, using digital optical or coaxial. Since my receiver is only 5.1, I did not notice analog sound being better than digital, possibly other way around, although, it was probably due to my analog level being so low.......

Oh well......

cheers,

Rod

post #1777 of 1800 Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I know that Gamma settings are most valuable when you are calibrating equipment, but by default the Video user settings have Gamma set to zero (all the way left). Without doing display calibrations where should Gamma be set?

By the way, even though the player has limited zoom function (dependent on the disc), the video output from the BDT500 is really great. Even streaming (utilizing a slow connection) output looks very good, and setting up the wireless connection was easy.

Audio is also great.

If people have difficulty with flaky Wifi connections, Panasonic tech can provide manual DNS settings in lieu of the auto configuration.

One thing I notice is that the machine is very sensitive to smudges , fingerprints, and any other irregularities on BluRay discs. Such things on DVDs seem to have little or no effect.
post #1778 of 1800 Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

....One thing I notice is that the machine is very sensitive to smudges , fingerprints, and any other irregularities on BluRay discs. Such things on DVDs seem to have little or no effect.
I have 2 earlier Panasonic bluray models (BDT220 and BD80) the latter being their flagship model circa ~ 2008. Both seem to suffer from the inability to track a smudged disc properly. I could take the same disc and play it perfectly on an even older LG player. I haven't used my new 500 yet (waiting for the man-cave to get completed) so can't comment on that, but here's hoping it will do a better job. Is this just me or have others noticed this tracking issue on various panny models? I wonder if their error-correction algorithms are that different from other manufacturers? - Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #1779 of 1800 Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

I have 2 earlier Panasonic bluray models (BDT220 and BD80) the latter being their flagship model circa ~ 2008. Both seem to suffer from the inability to track a smudged disc properly. I could take the same disc and play it perfectly on an even older LG player. I haven't used my new 500 yet (waiting for the man-cave to get completed) so can't comment on that, but here's hoping it will do a better job. Is this just me or have others noticed this tracking issue on various panny models? I wonder if their error-correction algorithms are that different from other manufacturers? - Rick

Weirdly, I came across many posts on different forums regarding different players that BluRay disc reading errors are not infrequent. And, as to your comment, LG players were see to be very forgiving in this regarding, being able to track properly even with minor smudges, etc.

Any ideas about the Gamma adjustment?
post #1780 of 1800 Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any way to access a web browser on the BDT500, or are we out of luck?

The new Panasonic models have browsers, so its odd that the BDT500 apparently doesn't have one.
post #1781 of 1800 Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:

The new Panasonic models have browsers, so its odd that the BDT500 apparently doesn't have one.

Just out of curiosity, what do you browse using blu ray player and its remote?
post #1782 of 1800 Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You could find more streaming content, and show it on your TV. I, for one, would stream from BBC, as the US version of the BDT500 has no BBC iPlayer.
post #1783 of 1800 Old 04-08-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

The 500 is a couple of years old so no browser will ever be included. The new 700, due out this summer, will probably have one. But unless it's compatible with a keyboard, I wouldn't even think about it. There is nothing more annoying than trying to surf the internet with a remote. smile.gif
post #1784 of 1800 Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am trying to figure out the 3D settings. With previous firmware the "DISTANCE" was -3 now with the latest firmware released in November it is is 0. Pop out level is also 0. I am sitting about 5 feet away from a SHARP 70" LED tv.
post #1785 of 1800 Old 04-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've had my BDT500 for 2 years now and use it only for Blu rays. It's plugged in to my Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp processor via hdmi. I've never had any issue at all with this Panasonic Blu Ray player.
I've been reading all the glowing reviews on the Oppo 103 and 105 players. Does anyone think I'd see any benefits going from my Panasonic BDT 500 to one of the Oppo players?

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #1786 of 1800 Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 122
VIA HDMI, no for Blu-rays. You might see a slight difference with DVD scaling. Personally I don't see enough to make a difference.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1787 of 1800 Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post

I've had my BDT500 for 2 years now and use it only for Blu rays. It's plugged in to my Integra DHC 80.3 pre amp processor via hdmi. I've never had any issue at all with this Panasonic Blu Ray player.
I've been reading all the glowing reviews on the Oppo 103 and 105 players. Does anyone think I'd see any benefits going from my Panasonic BDT 500 to one of the Oppo players?

The Oppo is a universal player, meaning that it will play DVD-A's and SACD which is not that big of a deal. However, the Oppo remote is dramatically better in terms of ergonomic design to quickly get information on something that is currently playing on the BR player and it is back lit which means that you can use it in the dark and not have to turn on some sort of light to look at the buttons on the remote and not have to fumble around in the dark with the BT-500's poorly designed remote. About the only advantage that the BT-500 has over the Oppo is the ability to play back video at 1.5X with audio which is handy if one just wants to quickly go through a commentary. With the 103 or 105, if you have an internet connection, the title of the track of a CD will be displayed along with the art work on the cover of the CD. And there are conversions available to make the Oppo an all region BR player. Whether or not it is worth it, is up to the user. There is nothing to preclude having two BR players.
post #1788 of 1800 Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I would only recommend the Oppo if you require the additional features that it has over the Panasonic.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1789 of 1800 Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks...I just keep hearing about what a great player the Oppo is and was wondering if the picture and sound quality would be better.

I just plug my Panasonic player into my I Integra processor via HDMI.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #1790 of 1800 Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Thanks...I just keep hearing about what a great player the Oppo is and was wondering if the picture and sound quality would be better.

No.
post #1791 of 1800 Old 04-12-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I just plug my Panasonic player into my I Integra processor via HDMI.

Your Integra DHC 80.3 is a very nice PrePro and unless you would benefit from the additional features of the Oppo I would actually look for something even less than the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 since you will be connecting via HDMI. What are your requirements outside of blu-ray and DVD picture quality?

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1792 of 1800 Old 04-26-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Do 3D Blu-ray Disc have to spin faster? Normal BD are almost completely silent on my 500 but, when I play 3D BD I hear more drive noise. It's not that loud, I only noticed it because it was late at night and I had the volume down low. Just never noticed it before and I was wondering if it was normal.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #1793 of 1800 Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 PM

is there anyway i can turn off autoplay everytime i turn the player on it starts to play whatever disc is in the player
post #1794 of 1800 Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Liked: 12
I'm not sure how to explain the problem I am experiencing with 3d, but here goes. My 500 is connected to an epson 5030 projector and on many 3d titles I'll notice a ghosting like effect on say a landscape background in a scene and if I move the depth setting on the projector a couple of positions it becomes sharp and clear. The problem is then in another scene that depth setting might be wrong again and I'll move it back and it's fine once more. I just noticed that if this is happening and pause the player the image goes sharp and ghosting goes away while it is displaying a paused 3d picture, but the problem shows up once I hit play again. Is this my player? Hdmi cable? Projector player synch issue? Any ideas? Thanks for any input.
post #1795 of 1800 Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe View Post

I'm not sure how to explain the problem I am experiencing with 3d, but here goes. My 500 is connected to an epson 5030 projector and on many 3d titles I'll notice a ghosting like effect on say a landscape background in a scene and if I move the depth setting on the projector a couple of positions it becomes sharp and clear. The problem is then in another scene that depth setting might be wrong again and I'll move it back and it's fine once more. I just noticed that if this is happening and pause the player the image goes sharp and ghosting goes away while it is displaying a paused 3d picture, but the problem shows up once I hit play again. Is this my player? Hdmi cable? Projector player synch issue? Any ideas? Thanks for any input.
Ghosting is a TV/projector issue. It is not caused by the player or cable.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1796 of 1800 Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I was experimenting last night the the media renderer/DLNA client capabilities of the player.

Although it seems capable of playing a wide variety of media off a USB stick the same doesn't hold for DLNA. I am really annoyed because the Panasonic GT50 I have plays the flacs no problem when used as a media renderer.

Anyone have info on what flac format the player can play over DLNA? Or other lossless compressed format it can play?
post #1797 of 1800 Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 AM

Liked: 0
Hello,

Sorry for barging in like this with my first post. I have read through most of the pages though (as well as the manual and operating instructions for this player) but I am still stuck on a hopefully very simple question (little bit technologically challenged here).

So I have a receiver (Onkyo HT-S4505) that works with 3D and all hi-def audio formats (HDMI® Support for 3D, Audio Return Channel, DeepColor™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC; plus Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio™ Decoding).
I also have a Panasonic 3D TV. I have recently purchased the BD player to replace an old PS3. When installing the player, I have trouble with the following:

Per the basic manual I have hooked up player and receiver via HDMI av out main, and then receiver and TV via the ARC HDMI port. But now is see in the advanced operating instructions that (for better sound?) I should connect the player HDMI av out main directly to the tv (but not the ARC port), and then use the player HDMI av out sub to go to the receiver? Is that correct?

So my questions are:
1. How much better is this sound when doing the more advanced connection?
2. Does the second “more advanced” connection affect watching 3D blu rays in anyway (since with the PS3 everything went directly to the receiver and the ARC)?
3. Does the advanced connection impact on movies played on a separate hard drive that is directly connected to the receiver (there is no video connection between the receiver and the TV now)?
4. So that also means without the ARC connection my normal TV channels do not play sounds over the sound system anymore?
5. Finally, and separately, I read something in this thread about the difference between the player or the receiver doing the sound decoding. Is this choice related to the two mentioned methods of connection mentioned above.

I read the manuals and it seems so simple, but for some reason I cannot get my head around it. Any assistance (in layman’s terms) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

K.
post #1798 of 1800 Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

There is no advantage to running HDMI Main to the TV and running HDMI sub to the receiver for audio. The two outs are for using 3D with a receiver that can't pass a 3D signal. You only need to run HDMI main to the receiver and then out from the receiver to the TV. Let the receiver do the decoding. Set audio to bitstream and make sure secondary audio is off. Keep it simple.

S~
kkasper likes this.

post #1799 of 1800 Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
There is no advantage to running HDMI Main to the TV and running HDMI sub to the receiver for audio. The two outs are for using 3D with a receiver that can't pass a 3D signal. You only need to run HDMI main to the receiver and then out from the receiver to the TV. Let the receiver do the decoding. Set audio to bitstream and make sure secondary audio is off. Keep it simple.

S~
Thank you very much for that quick and clear reply. That indeed makes it a lot more simple!!
post #1800 of 1800 Old 07-03-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 278
The only time you need ARC is if the TV itself sources audio (it's own tuner or streaming apps). So you can and should continue using ARC in that case. Many only use the TV as a display device, hence ARC is not needed.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page