post #1801 of 1817 Old 07-26-2014, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by redjr 

I have 2 earlier Panasonic bluray models (BDT220 and BD80) the latter being their flagship model circa ~ 2008. Both seem to suffer from the inability to track a smudged disc properly. I could take the same disc and play it perfectly on an even older LG player. I haven't used my new 500 yet (waiting for the man-cave to get completed) so can't comment on that, but here's hoping it will do a better job. Is this just me or have others noticed this tracking issue on various panny models? I wonder if their error-correction algorithms are that different from other manufacturers? - Rick

Weirdly, I came across many posts on different forums regarding different players that BluRay disc reading errors are not infrequent. And, as to your comment, LG players were see to be very forgiving in this regarding, being able to track properly even with minor smudges, etc.

Any ideas about the Gamma adjustment?
Yes, this player seems to be picky with discs - since I rent from Netflix some of the discs I receive are not in the greatest condition - the BDT500 will have trouble playing such discs - usually the video will be pixelated or video skips and lack of sound, and the player becomes almost frozen that the remote control does not work to skip the chapter - I put these discs in Sony PS3 and have no issues with their playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1817 Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
Yes, this player seems to be picky with discs - since I rent from Netflix some of the discs I receive are not in the greatest condition - the BDT500 will have trouble playing such discs - usually the video will be pixelated or video skips and lack of sound, and the player becomes almost frozen that the remote control does not work to skip the chapter - I put these discs in Sony PS3 and have no issues with their playback.
You got to realize the PS3 is a computer.
post #1803 of 1817 Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firmware upgrade

I have 2 panasonic bdt500 units. Both require firmware updates, but I thought I have picked up on good and bad things to doing this update. Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages to doing this? Haven't been updated in over a year...
post #1804 of 1817 Old 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by darynm View Post
I have 2 panasonic bdt500 units. Both require firmware updates, but I thought I have picked up on good and bad things to doing this update. Can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages to doing this? Haven't been updated in over a year...
If the BDT 500's both function, then don't do the firmware updates. Firmware updates are not always innocuous and may not be reversible and could leave the 500's non functional, requiring tech support with your units out of warranty (one year, I believe). You might check online and find out what the updates update or call up tech support and wait and wait and wait.
post #1805 of 1817 Old 10-12-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Huh? Never had any problem updating my 500 connected to the internet nor with my 310.

Updates playability, etc., all worth doing.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #1806 of 1817 Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got my bdt500 today, but I have a problem:

I have 2.0 speakers. I connected the bdt500 with analog cables (right/left) to my analog marantz amplifier. When I play a bluray (original) I get great sound in the commercials before the real movie begins. In the movie itself, I get nice music etc but no dialogues. All the sounds of the movie seems to be there, except for the dialogues.

Music cd is no problem, the player does a great job.
Old dvd's are also no problem.

It must be possible to use the bdt500 with 2.0 speakers right? In the menu, I switched off sound over hdmi. I selected 2.0+5.1 ch over 7.1 ch and downmix is set to stereo. Hopefully somebody here knows what is wrong, otherwise this great player is going back to the store.

Edit: Ok, so you can't select that you have 2.0 speakers. You have to select 2.0 +5.1 and after that, you have to delete 3/4 speakers in the menu where you can enter how large your speakers are. Not to logical..

Last edited by bear87; 10-15-2014 at 09:45 AM.
post #1807 of 1817 Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear87 View Post
I got my bdt500 today, but I have a problem:

I have 2.0 speakers. I connected the bdt500 with analog cables (right/left) to my analog marantz amplifier. When I play a bluray (original) I get great sound in the commercials before the real movie begins. In the movie itself, I get nice music etc but no dialogues. All the sounds of the movie seems to be there, except for the dialogues.

It must be possible to use the bdt500 with 2.0 speakers right? In the menu, I switched off sound over hdmi. I selected 2.0+5.1 ch over 7.1 ch and downmix is set to stereo. Hopefully somebody here knows what is wrong, otherwise this great player is going back to the store.

Edit: Ok, so you can't select that you have 2.0 speakers. You have to select 2.0 +5.1 and after that, you have to delete 3/4 speakers in the menu where you can enter how large your speakers are. Not to logical..
So you got it to work? You were more persistent that I was - when I needed to get 2 channel out of it, I ended up buying a toslink to analog converter and went stereo out of the converter, which downmixes the signal to 2.0. I have to use mine to do presentations where I need portable sound, so I plug my little Bose portable speakers into it. Works well, but getting the sound out of it in stereo had me going for a bit.
post #1808 of 1817 Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post
So you got it to work? You were more persistent that I was - when I needed to get 2 channel out of it, I ended up buying a toslink to analog converter and went stereo out of the converter, which downmixes the signal to 2.0. I have to use mine to do presentations where I need portable sound, so I plug my little Bose portable speakers into it. Works well, but getting the sound out of it in stereo had me going for a bit.
Yes, finally it works. However, you would just expect to be able to select 2.0 or 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 ch. This is kinda on logical. You have to select '2.0+5.1' as one option and then manually delete the speakers that you don't have, by making them smaller until they are gone.

Was it an expensive dac you got? When you get home, give my solution a try. After all, the burr brown dac is one of the main reasons why we get the bdt500. If you have any questions, let me know.
post #1809 of 1817 Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Yes, finally it works. However, you would just expect to be able to select 2.0 or 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1 ch. This is kinda on logical. You have to select '2.0+5.1' as one option and then manually delete the speakers that you don't have, by making them smaller until they are gone.

Was it an expensive dac you got? When you get home, give my solution a try. After all, the burr brown dac is one of the main reasons why we get the bdt500. If you have any questions, let me know.
No - I got it locally at a Fry's - maybe $30-ish - it was a year or so ago. Not a great device, but it works and for playing a Blu-ray dvd out of a set of portable speakers for a small group, it's fine. My laptop will actually play Blu-ray dvds as well, but I am sometimes using that for other things as a part of a class along with the BDT500.
I got my first BDT500 for home use - I had a great Pioneer Elite receiver (59Txi) that was pre-HDMI but had full analog inputs, so I used it with that for a couple of years. The Pioneer died and I replaced it with a Denon X5200w and now use HDMI with that - works REALLY WELL - and Atmos is a nice thing!
I got another BDT500 for my office and use it to show videos there, and when I needed one for portable presentations, I found yet another one on sale on Amazon for a lot less than I had originally bought them for - so I have three of them. The last one is the one I use the dac for.
But you're right - the setup isn't logical. I played with it for a while and gave up.
Another thing that isn't logical - trying to set up anything Panasonic with a WiFi router that includes the plus sign (+) in the password... Panny doesn't know what that is. Grrrr. Had to change my router's password to accommodate it.
Ah, well... glad you got it working. Next time I'm using my portable BDT500 I'll explore your option. One less thing to drag around.
post #1810 of 1817 Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

Here is what you should do.

Buy that Pana 500 in a amsterdam super store. Then buy that Darbee Darblet from amazon usa, only usd 50 shipped to Holland.

Then you would have the same setup as me here in Norway :-)
I use full pop at 40% which give fantastic pics on my benq 1070 from my Pana 500
$50 for a Darbee Darblet? Are you sure, I see them for $299 now.
post #1811 of 1817 Old 10-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
$50 for a Darbee Darblet? Are you sure, I see them for $299 now.
Fifty bucks shipping costs.
post #1812 of 1817 Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM

And just to having said that, my 500 is having big issues.

Im thinking of replacing it with a 700.

That 700 is more expensive than a Oppo 103.

Being so I already have this usd 300 Darbee box, would a 499 us Oppo 103 be the best option for me ?
post #1813 of 1817 Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Panasonic DMP BDT500

If you don't need a universal player (Oppo) a Sony would do. Actually this has been said already many times. I like the S790 if you can find one on Amazon or other warehouse with old stock.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1814 of 1817 Old 10-16-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
When I play a bluray (original) I get great sound in the commercials before the real movie begins. In the movie itself, I get nice music etc but no dialogues. All the sounds of the movie seems to be there, except for the dialogues.

It must be possible to use the bdt500 with 2.0 speakers right? In the menu, I switched off sound over hdmi. I selected 2.0+5.1 ch over 7.1 ch and downmix is set to stereo.

So the downmix:stereo option doesn't work when playing a lossless track? Try the DD track if possible, since you said it works with trailers and DVD. (Your workaround notwithstanding.)

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1815 of 1817 Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
If you don't need a universal player (Oppo) a Sony would do. Actually this has been said already many times. I like the S790 if you can find one on Amazon or other warehouse with old stock.
I own a Sony 790 region b

I cannot use in my setup.

I also own a region A sony 5100.

These two remotes are identical, you cannot have both in use.

Thats why I bought the Pana 500
Which is now showing some "issues"
post #1816 of 1817 Old 10-20-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post
I own a Sony 790 region b

I cannot use in my setup.

I also own a region A sony 5100.

These two remotes are identical, you cannot have both in use.

Thats why I bought the Pana 500
Which is now showing some "issues"
Cover the 5100's IR window with black electrical tape and control via HDMI CEC or phone app.

Nice thing about Panasonic is you can have up to 3 different IR addresses and load region-free firmware.
post #1817 of 1817 Old 11-22-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Analog Output Setup Problems

I could not resist purchasing the DMP-BDT500 on Amazon in Jan, 2014 for $160 in order to stretch the use of my 10 year old Yamaha RX-V1400 that has no Blu Ray audio capability or even HDMI inputs! That player is probably the last one of any brand to have analog out, except for possibly Oppo, which I had but sold while it still had value without 3D capability. I had a very difficult time setting up the Panasonic and only succeeded using a work-around, i.e. changing the SW volume by 12 dB at the SW when switching Multi-Channel Input "on" and "off" on the AVR. I use "on" when I use the DBT500 to play Blu Ray's and "off" for everything else.

I have a 5.1 system so I went to that part of the settings on the BDT500 Setup Menu > Audio > Analog Audio Out > 2ch (Downmix) + 5.1ch. Clicking that page reveals a graphical speaker setup to modify speaker size, delay and balance (0 to -6 dB ugh!). Setting all speakers small, input delays relative to the front LR speakers and then clicking on test with the AVR set to Multi-Channel Input yielded sounds on all five speakers but it just skipped over the SW! So I was not able to adjust its level. I chose to set all five speakers to -6 dB and left the SW on 0 dB (one could change its level and even take it out or put it in the system, but it never made a sound using the Test feature, which just "jumped" over the icon for the SW clearly proving something is amiss in the player. It was also a mystery of what Xover frequency the BDT500 uses when the speakers are set to small! That clearly is a screw-up on Pana's watch. But the SW silence as to be an error somewhere (I have the latest firmware installed).

Having adjusted all channel volumes already using the AVR internal test tones, I used Avia II to see what the result was with the AVR still on Multi-Channel Input. With the two sets of gains applied, all speakers were equally loud (using a sound meter), but the SW output was very low. so the solution I chose to use is just turning up the SW vol at the SW by 12 dB which balanced the SW with the other channels. Given that I chose small speakers, the analog out from the DBT500 should be the LFE (+10 dB?) + low frequency audio. But there is so much written about problems in players and receivers in handling LFE correctly, I am not sure I have the correct signal coming out of the SW channel of the BDT500. My work around solution requires me to change the volume at the SW by 12 DB each time I want to use the Multi-Channel Analog out (i.e. for Blu-Ray disks). That requires a mirror as the SW controls are on its backside and the SW is very near a wall. That is a bloody pain. Fortunately my SVS sub is almost indestructible in case I end up with an extra 12 dB if I switch while playing loud! If it were not for the puny 0 to -6 dB level range that Pana provided, I would still have had to do a work around even if the SW adjustment did work. All it would have taken would be a range of -6dB to +6 dB. Who are these people that designed this unit?

Does anyone know if others have problems with the SW on the analog out? I could not find anything after much hunting.

What I learned from trying to use the DBT500, a top of the line unit, for analog out is that its sound management is incredibly rudimentary, so much so that even though I found a work-around, I have already scooped out my next AVR. Since my Yamaha has worked flawlessly for a decade, I am going to go with them again and get the RX-A1040, their top of the line 7.2 unit. IMHO digging through the specs and comparing with Marantz, Pioneer and Onkyo of similar price, the Yamaha got my highest score. Even so, it is sad to seen even now USB's are still 2.0, Ethernet is still 100 Mbps and USB media need to be formatted FAT!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page