Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 62 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1831 of 1851 Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 230
The second problem you will run into is converting the HDMI to optical/coax. Very few devices will take HDMI and keep it as 5.1.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1851 Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
The second problem you will run into is converting the HDMI to optical/coax. Very few devices will take HDMI and keep it as 5.1.
I got a device from monoprice that works similarly. But it has a switch on it to tell the source device to send more than just stereo.

They can explain it better.
post #1833 of 1851 Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting. I am also wondering whether it is the HDMI splitter that is the root cause or it is simply feeding back that I've got the projector connected and so there is no point sending more than two channels.

My original plan was to connect my laptop also to the projector via HDMi and send the digital out to the processor so I could playback streamed DVDs (I've got an HP EliteBook which only has a DisplayPort and no digital audio output). Here I could only get 2 channel digital audio which is when I tried connecting the BluRay since I assumed the 5.1 would work perfectly!!

Maybe I just need to try a different HDMI splitter.

Interesting the link above about being able to toggle the pass through mode.
post #1834 of 1851 Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Splitters usually are the cause. I try to never have splitters.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1835 of 1851 Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 AM

I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion - I guess at some point I'm going to have to get a processor that actually has HDMI inputs .... Or maybe change to a BluRay player that can actually play mkv's from my NAS via streaming. (If there is actually a solution to that problem for the BDT500 please let me know but I haven't found one yet).
post #1836 of 1851 Old 02-21-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave48 View Post
I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion - I guess at some point I'm going to have to get a processor that actually has HDMI inputs .... Or maybe change to a BluRay player that can actually play mkv's from my NAS via streaming. (If there is actually a solution to that problem for the BDT500 please let me know but I haven't found one yet).
My Panasonic TV can play MKV from my "NAS" so you might want to check that. The TV is newer than the BDT500.

I've never gotten the BDT500 to play anything other than FLAC over the network.
post #1837 of 1851 Old 02-22-2015, 09:16 AM

Must admit I hadn't thought about that - the BDT500 is connected to my projector which is far too primitive; tried this on my second system but my Samsung 6 Series TV will play mkvs from USB only not over the network from the NAS. Was worth checking though ....
post #1838 of 1851 Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hoping for some pointers here.

I just replaced my non-HDMI AVR with a newer one that does HDMI. But I can't get the AVR to show that it's receiving TrueHD or DTS-MA.

Everything in the Sound menu is off except for High Clarity sound and HDMI Audio is ON. On the player's Playing Information screen it's showing that it is sending the lossless codes but the AVR only display Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

Is there something I'm missing?
post #1839 of 1851 Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure secondary audio is turned off.

S~

post #1840 of 1851 Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Make sure secondary audio is turned off.

S~
Yep, it's off. I'll quintuple check to make sure.
post #1841 of 1851 Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Are you using one HDMI output or both? If you are using both, set HDMI(SUB) Output Mode to V. Off.

S~

post #1842 of 1851 Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you using one HDMI output or both? If you are using both, set HDMI(SUB) Output Mode to V. Off.
S~
I'm just using the main one into the AVR and from there to the screen.
post #1843 of 1851 Old 04-01-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I'm just using the main one into the AVR and from there to the screen.

Did you try changing HDMI cables? Sometimes there's a handshake issue. Also, make sure the player is set to bitstream. The player may be displaying the info because it's decoding it, not sending it to your receiver.
post #1844 of 1851 Old 04-01-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Did you try changing HDMI cables? Sometimes there's a handshake issue. Also, make sure the player is set to bitstream. The player may be displaying the info because it's decoding it, not sending it to your receiver.
Haven't tried changing the cable yet. It is a HDMI with Ethernet cable, which I believe is the latest type.

[edit]some more info:

Using the playback information window shows the disk has a DTS-HD MSTR 5.1ch soundtrack.
With bitstream the HDMI I'm using just shows DTS, no channels no bitrate. It also shows that BD-Video Secondary Audio is off and player is bitstreaming.
When I set it to PCM the HDMI output shows PCM 7.1ch 48Khz.

Last edited by artur9; 04-01-2015 at 07:09 PM.
post #1845 of 1851 Old 04-02-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
Haven't tried changing the cable yet. It is a HDMI with Ethernet cable, which I believe is the latest type.

[edit]some more info:

Using the playback information window shows the disk has a DTS-HD MSTR 5.1ch soundtrack.
With bitstream the HDMI I'm using just shows DTS, no channels no bitrate. It also shows that BD-Video Secondary Audio is off and player is bitstreaming.
When I set it to PCM the HDMI output shows PCM 7.1ch 48Khz.
Sounds like your AVR simply doesn't decode DTS-HD, so the bitstream defaults to core DTS. You just need to stick with PCM.
post #1846 of 1851 Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sounds like your AVR simply doesn't decode DTS-HD, so the bitstream defaults to core DTS. You just need to stick with PCM.
Darn thing is supposed to!

Thanks everyone for trying to help. On to bigger fish!
post #1847 of 1851 Old Today, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hope someone can help me here....I searched the forum with no luck.

I am setting up 7.1 for the first time and cannot hear the surround back speakers when running the test through the bd player. . I am using the 7.1 analog out into my outlaw 990 preamp which then feeds my 7 channel amp. I turned off HDMI audio and set up the correct configuration in analog audio output section of the audio menu in the panasonic bd player. I have the rca's connected to the 2ch/surround back on the back of the bd player. The problem I am having is that I can not hear the surround back speakers when testing (calibrating) the db levels of the speakers. I hear front, center, right, side surround right and side surround left but not surround back right and surround back left. What am I doing wrong? Thx in advance
post #1848 of 1851 Old Today, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
I hope someone can help me here....I searched the forum with no luck.

I am setting up 7.1 for the first time and cannot hear the surround back speakers when running the test through the bd player. . I am using the 7.1 analog out into my outlaw 990 preamp which then feeds my 7 channel amp. I turned off HDMI audio and set up the correct configuration in analog audio output section of the audio menu in the panasonic bd player. I have the rca's connected to the 2ch/surround back on the back of the bd player. The problem I am having is that I can not hear the surround back speakers when testing (calibrating) the db levels of the speakers. I hear front, center, right, side surround right and side surround left but not surround back right and surround back left. What am I doing wrong? Thx in advance
First, you don't mention that you set analog out to 7.1 and NOT 2ch (Downmix) + 5.1 Ch (pg 12 of manual). Also, I am pretty sure you only need to set HDMI Audio off if you connect the HDMI AV SUB ch to our preamp and the HDMI AV MAIN to the TV, i.e. all turning off HDMI audio does is kill it from the HDMI AV MAIN (PG 11 of manual). Second, I don't understand with the capabilities of the Outlaw pre/pro why you would want to use the 500's analog out.

I believe I have posted about problems setting up EQ using the BDT500. You do not mention the subwoofer, which was my problem, As the 500 cycled through the speakers it either jumped over the sub or if it stopped there I hear no sound. What I ended up doing after using the receiver's EQ system to set levels, distance and frequency response was to only use the 500's EQ to set all speakers to large, no distances and all levels to -6 dB except the sub, which was left at 0 db. Then in the receiver's EQ lowered all another -4 dB including the sub. That way when switching the receiver to Multi-Channel I was able to correct for the fact that the 500 apparently assumes the receiver will add the necessary 10 dB to LFE. The key thing to note is that when I tested this setup with AVIA, which includes LFE tests, I verified I WAS getting a signal out of the 500's sub channel.

So depending on how your preamp' EQ works, you might try a similar thing, which in your case could be to leave everything at 0 db, large and no distance info in the 500, then test your system with some test signals that support 7 ch. The key thing is that even though I did not hear one of the channels when using the 500's EQ, it was indeed sending out of the sub channel.

My overall experience with the 500 was that it's EQ capability is abysmal and buggy and no replacement for most current pre/pros or receivers. I even set the thing back to Panasonic to get checked out. It was returned with no explanation and no charges. What a waste of time that was! Now that I have updated my receiver to the Emotiva XMC-1, that has all the Blu-ray sound processing that my old receiver did not, I never use the 500's 5 or in your case 7-ch analog out.
Paul.R.S likes this.
post #1849 of 1851 Old Today, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I've had my player for a little over a year and only played around 10 movies on it. Watched American Sniper on it last night and the display is flicker when you turn it on. Fortunately, doesn't flicker while the movie is playing. Anybody else having this problem?
post #1850 of 1851 Old Today, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not even having the problem but still wanted to say "thanks" for taking the time to put the above post together, Coyote.

Re "My overall experience with the 500 was that it's EQ capability is abysmal and buggy and no replacement for most current pre/pros or receivers. I even set the thing back to Panasonic to get checked out. It was returned with no explanation and no charges. What a waste of time that was!"

I had a perhaps similar experience with the BDT 350. Compared to the BD55, through I think a firmware "upgrade" Panny compromised the ability to calibrate the analog outputs as fully as necessary. I had a helluva time trying to get various support reps to understand what the problem was and authorize a return of the player for reversion back to a prior firmware build. IIRC I gave up and moved on to another player (an OPPO). (Still have a BDT210 through.)

Last edited by Paul.R.S; Today at 01:23 PM.
post #1851 of 1851 Old Today, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms View Post
First, you don't mention that you set analog out to 7.1 and NOT 2ch (Downmix) + 5.1 Ch (pg 12 of manual). Also, I am pretty sure you only need to set HDMI Audio off if you connect the HDMI AV SUB ch to our preamp and the HDMI AV MAIN to the TV, i.e. all turning off HDMI audio does is kill it from the HDMI AV MAIN (PG 11 of manual). Second, I don't understand with the capabilities of the Outlaw pre/pro why you would want to use the 500's analog out.

I believe I have posted about problems setting up EQ using the BDT500. You do not mention the subwoofer, which was my problem, As the 500 cycled through the speakers it either jumped over the sub or if it stopped there I hear no sound. What I ended up doing after using the receiver's EQ system to set levels, distance and frequency response was to only use the 500's EQ to set all speakers to large, no distances and all levels to -6 dB except the sub, which was left at 0 db. Then in the receiver's EQ lowered all another -4 dB including the sub. That way when switching the receiver to Multi-Channel I was able to correct for the fact that the 500 apparently assumes the receiver will add the necessary 10 dB to LFE. The key thing to note is that when I tested this setup with AVIA, which includes LFE tests, I verified I WAS getting a signal out of the 500's sub channel.

So depending on how your preamp' EQ works, you might try a similar thing, which in your case could be to leave everything at 0 db, large and no distance info in the 500, then test your system with some test signals that support 7 ch. The key thing is that even though I did not hear one of the channels when using the 500's EQ, it was indeed sending out of the sub channel.

My overall experience with the 500 was that it's EQ capability is abysmal and buggy and no replacement for most current pre/pros or receivers. I even set the thing back to Panasonic to get checked out. It was returned with no explanation and no charges. What a waste of time that was! Now that I have updated my receiver to the Emotiva XMC-1, that has all the Blu-ray sound processing that my old receiver did not, I never use the 500's 5 or in your case 7-ch analog out.
thank you for the reply. I was able to get the back surround working while fiddling with the player. I still cannot hear the subwoofer in the test
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page