Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1861 of 1868 Old 01-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by caustic386 View Post
Unfortunately that's a loaded question which only you can answer. DACs are a rather divisive topic, but most everyone agrees they are the smallest link in the audio chain. Your time/money is best focused elsewhere (your speakers and/or room) in most cases. Try them both and see which you like! Make sure they're level matched, even 1 dB can influence your ears.

Sorry I wish I had a more direct answer for you! You can probably find some measurements on each DAC if you look hard enough, but those don't always paint the whiole picture and an implementation on one device could be substantially different from another.
Thanks Caustic. I figured that but I thought I'd still ask My room is pretty solid as it was custom built for theater purposes. My receiver could probably use an upgrade at this point but not ready to do all that yet. Thank you for the info! Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1868 Old 01-11-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Interesting. Have you bought any recent blu ray players. Unfortunately i think that's the direction that stuff is headed into. I had the same problem when I was buying a blu ray player before and ended up with the Panny. All cheap, plastic, LOUD, crap. That's why I ended up with the Panny.

Lastly, I have an older Sony BDP-N460 blu ray player that I think is made pretty nice which I thought I could use if I'm just bitstreaming the audio to the receiver anyway. Thoughts on all that? Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. Much appreciated.

Right. My most recent is a Sony s790. Features are similar but the Sony does SACD. The Panny is quieter which is important unless it's hidden in an equipment closet. Both were flagships but not what I would call expensive or near Oppo quality. I don't even use the analog out but it is nice to have if I ever reconfigure systems. I use different players for different types of media.

The older Sonys were fine for bedroom systems because they were smooth and quiet, just a little slow. You won't hear any difference in audio quality when bit streaming, but I don't think you will gain much by selling the Panny and using the older player.

Do you have only one system in the house? Do you need SACD or 3D? If you can keep both players my advice would be to use both and spread the wear & tear. Try to prolong the life of that Panny. If that goes your next budget option would be to get a used Oppo.
Inspector 24 likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1863 of 1868 Old 01-28-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I have a retro RPTV HD TVTV with DVI and component. I have the BDT 500 set up using DVI and component audio. Is there any way to use a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, or similar device through my BDT500, or through my component connected PS3? As everyone knows the BDT is missing some apps like Starz Play, etc.

Thanks!
post #1864 of 1868 Old 01-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 322
No. You'll need something like the Oppo that has inputs or something like a switch to run all of your components into.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1865 of 1868 Old 01-30-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

HDCP won't allow that.

- AVStefan
post #1866 of 1868 Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 207
It's frustrating that each player has their own, restricted, and virtually unchanging selection of apps.

Is there any player (BluRay or streaming device) that is known for its wealth of streaming apps?

The disappearing of youtube from this great player was horrible.
post #1867 of 1868 Old 01-30-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic DMP BDT500

Sony players tend to have more/better apps but only the newer models. YouTube was lost from the older Sonys too. Oppos are pretty good too.

- AVStefan
post #1868 of 1868 Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
It's frustrating that each player has their own, restricted, and virtually unchanging selection of apps.

Is there any player (BluRay or streaming device) that is known for its wealth of streaming apps?

The disappearing of youtube from this great player was horrible.
Roku has thousands of apps, far more than any other player. Add new ones anytime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread