Panasonic DMP BDT500 - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1861 of 1879 Old 01-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
FuzzyReets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caustic386 View Post
Unfortunately that's a loaded question which only you can answer. DACs are a rather divisive topic, but most everyone agrees they are the smallest link in the audio chain. Your time/money is best focused elsewhere (your speakers and/or room) in most cases. Try them both and see which you like! Make sure they're level matched, even 1 dB can influence your ears.

Sorry I wish I had a more direct answer for you! You can probably find some measurements on each DAC if you look hard enough, but those don't always paint the whiole picture and an implementation on one device could be substantially different from another.
Thanks Caustic. I figured that but I thought I'd still ask My room is pretty solid as it was custom built for theater purposes. My receiver could probably use an upgrade at this point but not ready to do all that yet. Thank you for the info! Cheers.
FuzzyReets is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1862 of 1879 Old 01-11-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,359
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Interesting. Have you bought any recent blu ray players. Unfortunately i think that's the direction that stuff is headed into. I had the same problem when I was buying a blu ray player before and ended up with the Panny. All cheap, plastic, LOUD, crap. That's why I ended up with the Panny.

Lastly, I have an older Sony BDP-N460 blu ray player that I think is made pretty nice which I thought I could use if I'm just bitstreaming the audio to the receiver anyway. Thoughts on all that? Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. Much appreciated.

Right. My most recent is a Sony s790. Features are similar but the Sony does SACD. The Panny is quieter which is important unless it's hidden in an equipment closet. Both were flagships but not what I would call expensive or near Oppo quality. I don't even use the analog out but it is nice to have if I ever reconfigure systems. I use different players for different types of media.

The older Sonys were fine for bedroom systems because they were smooth and quiet, just a little slow. You won't hear any difference in audio quality when bit streaming, but I don't think you will gain much by selling the Panny and using the older player.

Do you have only one system in the house? Do you need SACD or 3D? If you can keep both players my advice would be to use both and spread the wear & tear. Try to prolong the life of that Panny. If that goes your next budget option would be to get a used Oppo.
Inspector 24 likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #1863 of 1879 Old 01-28-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have a retro RPTV HD TVTV with DVI and component. I have the BDT 500 set up using DVI and component audio. Is there any way to use a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, or similar device through my BDT500, or through my component connected PS3? As everyone knows the BDT is missing some apps like Starz Play, etc.

Thanks!
taichi4 is offline  
post #1864 of 1879 Old 01-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 7,011
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 577
No. You'll need something like the Oppo that has inputs or something like a switch to run all of your components into.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Samsung UBD-K8500 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is online now  
post #1865 of 1879 Old 01-30-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,359
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
HDCP won't allow that.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #1866 of 1879 Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 144
It's frustrating that each player has their own, restricted, and virtually unchanging selection of apps.

Is there any player (BluRay or streaming device) that is known for its wealth of streaming apps?

The disappearing of youtube from this great player was horrible.
taichi4 is offline  
post #1867 of 1879 Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AVfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 2,359
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Panasonic DMP BDT500

Sony players tend to have more/better apps but only the newer models. YouTube was lost from the older Sonys too. Oppos are pretty good too.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
AVfile is offline  
post #1868 of 1879 Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,124
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
It's frustrating that each player has their own, restricted, and virtually unchanging selection of apps.

Is there any player (BluRay or streaming device) that is known for its wealth of streaming apps?

The disappearing of youtube from this great player was horrible.
Roku has thousands of apps, far more than any other player. Add new ones anytime.
mdavej is offline  
post #1869 of 1879 Old 02-15-2016, 01:06 PM
Newbie
 
edclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
USB HDD problem

Need a little help...

When I plug my HDD into the front USB slot, I can view all of the pics on the Hard Drive but I can't play any movies ie. MKV, MP4, AVI, etc...
It simply says "Cannot play title".

Help please!

Thanks!
edclay is offline  
post #1870 of 1879 Old 02-23-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post
Need a little help...

When I plug my HDD into the front USB slot, I can view all of the pics on the Hard Drive but I can't play any movies ie. MKV, MP4, AVI, etc...
It simply says "Cannot play title".

Help please!

Thanks!



1) Are they formatted in the right file system? The 500 supports FAT 12,16,32 and NTFS.

2) The 500 might not be supplying power to your HDD. The HDD might need a separate power supply.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #1871 of 1879 Old 02-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Member
 
SB77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post
Need a little help...

When I plug my HDD into the front USB slot, I can view all of the pics on the Hard Drive but I can't play any movies ie. MKV, MP4, AVI, etc...
It simply says "Cannot play title".

Help please!

Thanks!
The USB play from HDD is not super reliable on the BDT500.

I have a problem where some files play and some don't. And I could never figure out how these files were different from other AVI & MKV files that worked fine & were created on the same computer using the same software. I also have an Oppo player and that has no problems with the files that fail on the BDT500. It might have something to do with the video file formats within the container file or some unsupported codecs but I have not been able to identify the root cause yet. And since I was able to play all my files between the Oppo & the Panasonic I stopped worrying about this. I was hoping there will be a micro-code upgrade to fix this but to the best of my knowledge Panasonic has not released any updates for this player in years now.

However if none of your files play the problem may be something else.

Please check for compatible HDD specs in the manual. For instance the HDD has to be less than 2TB & also the supported file formats are FAT & NTFS. Please check the manual for specifics. Also try other HDDs to see if it works.
SB77 is offline  
post #1872 of 1879 Old 02-24-2016, 06:17 AM
Newbie
 
edclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for input guys.

My HDD is 1TB and NTFS. Is it possible that it's my cable? Would a certain grade of USB cable only transmit photo and not video?

Thanks again

Ed
edclay is offline  
post #1873 of 1879 Old 02-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Member
 
SB77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edclay View Post
Thanks for input guys.

My HDD is 1TB and NTFS. Is it possible that it's my cable? Would a certain grade of USB cable only transmit photo and not video?

Thanks again

Ed
Does not sound like a cable problem. I have never heard of differences in USB cables. Unless I am mistaken USB cable standards are straightforward and don't vary much like HDMI cables. I have used both USB 2.0 & 3.0 drives without any issues on the BDT500. If it is a cable issue it would not recognize the drive. Must be a problem with the file. Try with another HDD & some other sample video files.
SB77 is offline  
post #1874 of 1879 Old 04-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question Please help

Please list the correct settings and how to get there exactly so I can get the most from my Audio/Video HT setup.

My Yamaha RX-A2010 has been a very solid unit with excellent performance. I fear I may have selected the wrong thing either on the receiver on my Panasonic Bluray BDT500 player....
Here is what is happening: When I try and play specifically DTS Master - True HD (basically enhanced DTS audio codecs) the receiver screen "flickers" like it's trying to play DTS True HD and there is no audio. But it will play DTS and Dolby Digital perfectly fine!
Connections are all HDMI and I have Bluray player set to 'Bitstream'.
I wonder if it has something to do with "Cinema DSP"?
Bluray model BDT500

Your help is greatly appreciated!

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #1875 of 1879 Old 04-06-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Please list the correct settings and how to get there exactly so I can get the most from my Audio/Video HT setup.

My Yamaha RX-A2010 has been a very solid unit with excellent performance. I fear I may have selected the wrong thing either on the receiver on my Panasonic Bluray BDT500 player....
Here is what is happening: When I try and play specifically DTS Master - True HD (basically enhanced DTS audio codecs) the receiver screen "flickers" like it's trying to play DTS True HD and there is no audio. But it will play DTS and Dolby Digital perfectly fine!
Connections are all HDMI and I have Bluray player set to 'Bitstream'.
I wonder if it has something to do with "Cinema DSP"?
Bluray model BDT500

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Has it always done this or is it a recent development? With all your discs or just some?
I'm not familiar with Yamaha receivers, but I'd try to reset the player first and shut off all processing in the Yamaha. You could also switch off the bitstream and let the player decode.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #1876 of 1879 Old 04-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Member
 
3DRODRAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Please list the correct settings and how to get there exactly so I can get the most from my Audio/Video HT setup.

My Yamaha RX-A2010 has been a very solid unit with excellent performance. I fear I may have selected the wrong thing either on the receiver on my Panasonic Bluray BDT500 player....
Here is what is happening: When I try and play specifically DTS Master - True HD (basically enhanced DTS audio codecs) the receiver screen "flickers" like it's trying to play DTS True HD and there is no audio. But it will play DTS and Dolby Digital perfectly fine!
Connections are all HDMI and I have Bluray player set to 'Bitstream'.
I wonder if it has something to do with "Cinema DSP"?
Bluray model BDT500

Your help is greatly appreciated!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TXSTYLE. I trust you are using HDMI and not the digital output for sound to travel from your Blu-ray player to your receiver ? Do you have a 7.1 system with 4 rear speakers ? Make sure you have the correct speaker setting selected in your AVR setup. I would "not" use any of the AVR's Dolby surround decodes or Yamaha movie sound programs when playing Blu-ray discs. When playing Blu-rays, make sure you select "STRAIGHT DECODE" on your Yamaha AVR, so the lossless sound can be fully enjoyed. Also try with Cinema DSP turned off on your AVR. On my Yamaha RX3050, I "only use" STRAIGHT DECODE when playing Blu-rays. I do use the AVR's Dolby surround decodes and Yamaha's Movie Theater & Entertainment sound programs for everything else (movies, sports, news, series, etc on my Bell satellite, OTA, Netflix, etc). After checking your AVR speaker settings and selecting Straight mode on your AVR & & it is still not decoding DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD, your Panasonic Blu-ray settings maybe incorrect. We will the need to check all your exact settings on your BDT500 in more detail if you still have a problem decoding these lossless sound formats.

"Side note" If you watch Netflix, use the BDT500 player and not your TV for streaming, as the sound is better quality. Streaming Netflix with your TV you will get Dolby Digital, but if you use your Blu-ray disc player your AVR should decode Dolby Digital PLUS, which is less compressed and has a higher bit rate. I definitely notice a difference.

cheers
TXSTYLE likes this.

Samsung PN64F 8500 Series Plasma TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu-ray multi player
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050 AVR
SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Paradigm Studio 100 V5 towers, Studio cc690 V5 center & (4) Studio 20 V5 bookshelves
3DRODRAY is offline  
post #1877 of 1879 Old 04-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DRODRAY View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TXSTYLE. I trust you are using HDMI and not the digital output for sound to travel from your Blu-ray player to your receiver ? Do you have a 7.1 system with 4 rear speakers ? Make sure you have the correct speaker setting selected in your AVR setup. I would "not" use any of the AVR's Dolby surround decodes or Yamaha movie sound programs when playing Blu-ray discs. When playing Blu-rays, make sure you select "STRAIGHT DECODE" on your Yamaha AVR, so the lossless sound can be fully enjoyed. Also try with Cinema DSP turned off on your AVR. On my Yamaha RX3050, I "only use" STRAIGHT DECODE when playing Blu-rays. I do use the AVR's Dolby surround decodes and Yamaha's Movie Theater & Entertainment sound programs for everything else (movies, sports, news, series, etc on my Bell satellite, OTA, Netflix, etc). After checking your AVR speaker settings and selecting Straight mode on your AVR & & it is still not decoding DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD, your Panasonic Blu-ray settings maybe incorrect. We will the need to check all your exact settings on your BDT500 in more detail if you still have a problem decoding these lossless sound formats.

"Side note" If you watch Netflix, use the BDT500 player and not your TV for streaming, as the sound is better quality. Streaming Netflix with your TV you will get Dolby Digital, but if you use your Blu-ray disc player your AVR should decode Dolby Digital PLUS, which is less compressed and has a higher bit rate. I definitely notice a difference.

cheers

Yes to all! I did find out the culprit... When I wrote this, I was specifically having the issue when trying to playback from my external drive hooked up to my Panny BR player via USB. When I popped in actual BR discs to verify, they played ALL audio codecs just fine.
So now I am wondering if any of you know how to achieve playing DTS-True HD and so on, via USB through the player? Is there a dedicated forum here that discusses "External Movie/Video files and getting the most from them?"

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #1878 of 1879 Old 04-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Member
 
3DRODRAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Yes to all! I did find out the culprit... When I wrote this, I was specifically having the issue when trying to playback from my external drive hooked up to my Panny BR player via USB. When I popped in actual BR discs to verify, they played ALL audio codecs just fine.
So now I am wondering if any of you know how to achieve playing DTS-True HD and so on, via USB through the player? Is there a dedicated forum here that discusses "External Movie/Video files and getting the most from them?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TXSTYLE. I did not realize you were having a problem only when playback from external drive to your Panny BR player. Your problem is probably due to the USB hookup. USB cables are limited like digital coaxial and optical cables. I believe USB only supports audio codecs: AC3, LPCM, ADPCM, HE-AAC, WMA, Dolby Digital Plus, MPEG(MP3), and DTS ? 7.1 channel audio (DTS-MA, Dolby True HD) and even more channel audio (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X) is only supported by using a HDMI cable between sources.

Hope this helps.
TXSTYLE likes this.

Samsung PN64F 8500 Series Plasma TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu-ray multi player
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050 AVR
SVS PB13 Ultra sub
Paradigm Studio 100 V5 towers, Studio cc690 V5 center & (4) Studio 20 V5 bookshelves
3DRODRAY is offline  
post #1879 of 1879 Old 04-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DRODRAY View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TXSTYLE. I did not realize you were having a problem only when playback from external drive to your Panny BR player. Your problem is probably due to the USB hookup. USB cables are limited like digital coaxial and optical cables. I believe USB only supports audio codecs: AC3, LPCM, ADPCM, HE-AAC, WMA, Dolby Digital Plus, MPEG(MP3), and DTS ? 7.1 channel audio (DTS-MA, Dolby True HD) and even more channel audio (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X) is only supported by using a HDMI cable between sources.

Hope this helps.

LOL! Yes! I am just now realizing this. I have been searching for best solutions for my setup including:

MED600X3D

Dune HD TV-303D or Dune HD Base 3D or Dune Solo 4k

nvidia shield

Any suggestions?

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off