AVS Forum banner
318K views 2K replies 314 participants last post by  ekayo 
#1 ·
This new player just announced at 2012 CES looks really nice. I have a Bryston SP1.7 pre-pro which does not have HDMI & of course does not decode the latest

surround formats. Rather than turf a really good quality pre pro I can go through the BDT500 7.1 analog inputs. There are other players out there that do similar but they can get pricey. Curious to see what this retails for.

#802 ·
David,

I would have to respectfully disagree on a few things. My experience is the Panasonic has better 3D and converts 2D better, also. The Sony by far is a better streamer both over the home network and via the apps. Just check the Panasonic threads about streaming and wifi. For BD/BD3D and DVD I prefer Panasonic. For streaming I prefer the Sony. Although the Sony has great PQ.

S~

#803 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/800_100#post_22291156

David,

I would have to respectfully disagree on a few things. My experience is the Panasonic has better 3D and converts 2D better, also. The Sony by far is a better streamer both over the home network and via the apps. Just check the Panasonic threads about streaming and wifi. For BD/BD3D and DVD I prefer Panasonic. For streaming I prefer the Sony. Although the Sony has great PQ.

S~
100% AGREEMENT

#804 ·
Better streaming in what way? Better PQ and SQ? Or less interruptions?

#805 ·
Thanks all for the input:D So would it be fair to say that you can't go wrong choosing either of these players?

TIA; Menace

#806 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2society  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/780#post_22292023

Thanks all for the input:D So would it be fair to say that you can't go wrong choosing either of these players?

TIA; Menace

Pretty much. I have been satisifed with both the Panasonics and the Sony, with my impressions and experiences a few posts above.

S~

#807 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/780#post_22292034

Pretty much. I have been satisifed with both the Panasonics and the Sony, with my impressions and experiences a few posts above.

S~

Can you please comment on how the Sony is far better at streaming? Is it in regards to PQ and SQ? User Interface to Netflix, Amazon.com apps? Less stutter? etc.

I would really appreciate it..

#808 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/780#post_22293394

Can you please comment on how the Sony is far better at streaming? Is it in regards to PQ and SQ? User Interface to Netflix, Amazon.com apps? Less stutter? etc.

I would really appreciate it..

PQ/AQ for the streaming Apps. is pretty much the same. Sony offers DD5.1 with Amazon. The Panasonics have had issues with network connections, wifi, and Netflix. Hands down the Sony has it over the Panasonics with DLNA.

S~

#809 ·
Hey, I'm looking to upgrade from my PS3 and use something else for BDs instead, I want to see if I can get a better picture and be able to watch the 3D titles i own with TrueHD because the PS3 can't decode that on 3D titles.. My first choice was the BDT500, but is the picture quality that much better or is it a marginal upgrade? Would I be better with the Sony S790 or Panasonic BDT-01? (Which doesn't get talked about much around here)

#811 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/780#post_22295076

I own the S790 and friends - JOEROD - owns both the S790 and BDT500.

My two cent recommendation is the S790 for the best available PQ and

Streaming Support.

Is there any difference in the transport / quality of the drive tray? My BDT210 is very loud when playing DVDs, quieter for Blu-ray but still can be loud.

#813 ·
From comments here and elsewhere, the mechanical noises of current generation Sony players vary from unit to unit. It's not surprising, considering that they're doubtless using lowest-bid mechanisms.

#814 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadylpete  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/780#post_22294699

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade from my PS3 and use something else for BDs instead, I want to see if I can get a better picture and be able to watch the 3D titles i own with TrueHD because the PS3 can't decode that on 3D titles.. My first choice was the BDT500, but is the picture quality that much better or is it a marginal upgrade? Would I be better with the Sony S790 or Panasonic BDT-01? (Which doesn't get talked about much around here)

Yeah I would be interested to see peoples thoughts on this too? A week ago I upgraded from a 42pz80u to the p50st50 and I think I need to move on from my ps3 to a dedicated Blu-ray player. I know I need the dual hdmi's because I have a Denon 1610.

#815 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22299291

Is there any difference in the transport / quality of the drive tray? My BDT210 is very loud when playing DVDs, quieter for Blu-ray but still can be loud.

In operation the S790 and 500 are both quiet, but the Panasonic is a little noisy when opening as compared to the Sony.

#816 ·
I'm thinking about getting one of these but have one question. I have a 3D Plasma and a 3D AVR. I'm running a high speed HDMI from the AVR to the Plasma but have a 1.3a from my BD to AVR. In getting a 3D blu-ray player do I need to get a high speed HDMI to go from BD to AVR?

#817 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22300943

I'm thinking about getting one of these but have one question. I have a 3D Plasma and a 3D AVR. I'm running a high speed HDMI from the AVR to the Plasma but have a 1.3a from my BD to AVR. In getting a 3D blu-ray player do I need to get a high speed HDMI to go from BD to AVR?

As you know, cables are no longer labeled 1.3, 1.4, etc. Certified 1.3a cables (under the old rules) are high speed. Should work just fine. Most of my cables are 1.3.

S~

#818 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22300952

As you know, cables are no longer labeled 1.3, 1.4, etc. Certified 1.3a cables (under the old rules) are high speed. Should work just fine. Most of my cables are 1.3.

S~

Mine wouldn't work with a 1.3 cable. I had use a high speed cable to get the 3D to work.

#820 ·
Any universal will work fine with any panasonic disc player. The harmony 600/650/700 and Xsight 12G/18G are good choices. I don't know of any panasonic remotes that are/were backlit. But if you find one, it should work most of the functions since all panasonic disc players and recorders have used the same codes for at least 10 years. Any particular reason you want a panasonic remote rather than a universal? A typical universal will let you put any function on any button. Ones with displays are especially useful.

#821 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22301874

Mine wouldn't work with a 1.3 cable. I had use a high speed cable to get the 3D to work.

It will typically depend on the distance, i.e. a Category 1 cable ( what I believe you are calling 1.3 cable ) should still work for 3D if the distance is short enough... If not, it was likely a very poor quality cable that was probably barely making the Category 1 specs...

#822 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22304088

It will typically depend on the distance, i.e. a Category 1 cable ( what I believe you are calling 1.3 cable ) should still work for 3D if the distance is short enough... If not, it was likely a very poor quality cable that was probably barely making the Category 1 specs...

Category 1 would not be equivalent to 1.3. Category 2 would be 1.3 or high speed. Is it possible a 1.3 cable didn't work with 1.4 and 3D? Sure. The High Speed cable I got with my Oppo would not work with 3D and struggled with 1080p.

From HDMI.org:

•Standard (or “category 1”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.

•High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

S~

#824 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22304088

Nope, it was 3'. Cable is Monoprice high speed. The Monoproce 1.3 cable did not work. But of course we're talking HDMI so YMMV.

#826 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22304001

Any universal will work fine with any panasonic disc player. The harmony 600/650/700 and Xsight 12G/18G are good choices. I don't know of any panasonic remotes that are/were backlit. But if you find one, it should work most of the functions since all panasonic disc players and recorders have used the same codes for at least 10 years. Any particular reason you want a panasonic remote rather than a universal? A typical universal will let you put any function on any button. Ones with displays are especially useful.
I just was hoping to spend very little, as older or used remotes can get pretty darn cheap compared to decent universals. That may be the way I have to go in Panasonic hasn't offered back-lit ones. Thanks for the reply!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.