AVS Forum banner
318K views 2K replies 314 participants last post by  ekayo 
#1 ·
This new player just announced at 2012 CES looks really nice. I have a Bryston SP1.7 pre-pro which does not have HDMI & of course does not decode the latest

surround formats. Rather than turf a really good quality pre pro I can go through the BDT500 7.1 analog inputs. There are other players out there that do similar but they can get pricey. Curious to see what this retails for.

#827 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22304262

Category 1 would not be equivalent to 1.3. Category 2 would be 1.3 or high speed. Is it possible a 1.3 cable didn't work with 1.4 and 3D? Sure. The High Speed cable I got with my Oppo would not work with 3D and struggled with 1080p.
From HDMI.org:

•Standard (or “category 1”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz or up to 2.25Gbps, which is the equivalent of a 720p/1080i signal.

•High Speed (or “category 2”) HDMI cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates from the Source. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

S~

You are correct, I meant Category 2, but the point was that I don't believe there is any such thing as a 1.3 cable, i.e. they are either Category 1 or Category 2 per the specs you post above.. It is possible that a Category 1 cable would work at Category 2 speeds at short distances but that depends on the quality of the cable, etc.

I only use use HDMI over very short distances, i.e. 3 feet minimum to 4 feet maximum and my 7-8 year old HDMI cables worked fine with my Panasonic 500 BluRay player and Panasonic 65GT50...

#828 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22304796

Monoprice, I have too many problems with that brand, especially with anything beyond 10ft.

Yeah, their quality control isn't the best. I've had a couple of bad cables but they're so cheap it isn't even worth returning them. I've used their big fire hose HDMI cable with the braiding on a 20' run with no problems. They also have just come out with a high end line of HDMI cables.

#832 ·
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but the 3d setting is going to be a matter of personal taste. I assume the -2 setting is probably optimized for Panny TV's- or what Panny thinks would look the best in most situations. It's hard to say what will look best on your system. Play around and see what you prefer. In fact, you might have to change the setting depending on the source, so there really is no right answer.

Don't be afraid to experiment!

#833 ·
NETFLIX CONNECTIVITY PROBLEM SOLVED:

Sorry if posting a reply to nothing is not the way to get some hopefully helpfull information out on a fix I did with my Pany 500.

FYI: my 500 suddenly would not connect to Neflix. It had been working just fine for the 2 months or so that I have owned this player. To make a long story short, I went throught the contact Netflix exercise, and my service provider "frontiernet.net". The latter shuffled me around like a hot potatoe because my questions were above their experience/knowledge. However, the 2nd pass-off clued me into the website "portforward.com". I have not checked it out yet, but supposedly information on reconfiguring your modem for better throughput for gaming and download (Netflix) apps.

Anyway, hacking throught the various 500 screens did not provide any errors, just the I.P.s, connectivity tests all passed, etc.

So when I was satisfied my service was OK, I deactivated the 500 player's Neflix connection. I had to do this several times before finally getting the activation screen. As you know the pop-up alpha-numeric is a real pain in the xxx way to punch in the email and password for Netflix. But I reactivated, and wow-la, I have Netflix streaming again.

Netflix gave me the deactivation sequence. Find the arrow key pad with the "Keys" button. Here it is:

When the Netflix connection times out, you should see a gray pop-up. Do the following:

Use the following steps to deactivate the Netflix application on your Panny 500:

1. Launch the Netflix application.

2. Using the arrows on your controller, enter the following sequence:

o Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up

3. Select Deactivate.

4. Select Yes to confirm.

5. Select OK after a message reports that the device has been deactivated.

o This may take up to a minute.

6. The application will display a red screen for few seconds and then return to the "Are you a Netflix member?" page.

o Note: You must reactivate at this point without quitting the application for the deactivation to take effect.

Next time, I will not hesitate to deactivate/reactivate. I hope this does not become common place. I suspect the Panny 500 lost its mind. But it offers no clue as to what email and password it is currently trying to log into Netflix with. So this is a guess.

#834 ·
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Remote not Controlling/Communicating with Player

I just received and installed this player, but the Remote does not seem to function. I can turn the unit on with the button on the top left of the player, but not with the remote. When I turn it on, "SETUP" appears on the front panel of the player and "Select Language" appears on the video output. However, I can't find any buttons on the remote that communicate with the player in any way. I have also tried replacing the new batteries that came with the remote with another set of new batteries, I just purchased.

I can't tell if the remote is not transmitting or if the player is just not receiving the commands. I have tried holding the remote's output right in front of the player's sensor. NOTHING!!!!!!!

Any thoughts before I send the uint back?

#835 ·
Okay, I just received my Panny 500 back from Panasonic warranty repair on Friday. I had the Netflix fatal issue (program failed to start) and my wifi connection on the player took a ****. They were cool about troubleshooting....after I explained that I followed all advice int his thread...they didn't even argue and just offered up an RMA # with instructions. So, I suspect they are paying attention here.

The replacement 500's entire interface is substantially faster than the old one. Everything works as advertised. So far I'm pleased.

I'm burning the DAC's in....again. If anything, these may be a little more crisp in the midrange than my first 500. As noted earlier in this thread by me, my first 500 had a slight-yet-noticeable difference in clarity and soundstage between it's coaxial digital output and the AC's into my Arcam AVR300. I can't tell a difference with the replacement player (a good thing). Maybe production variance...who knows. This is a good thing.

#836 ·
I got a new bdt-500 BD player a week ago. Ive never had a panasonic before but thought I would try it. This player is nice but the remote control is such a flipin joke its hard to believe any engineer/product designer would let this out of the lab. what a bad joke on me. The remote has a miniature touch screen on it, hard to believe. It is so small and touch sensitive one wrong pressure point from your finger and off it goes. Try to enter the encryption code from a remote router, I dare you! Try to skim through netflix video selections with this flppin remote!!! Do not buy this. I bought this online and am not sure what it will cost to return... but I know Im not keepin even if I have to..or get to.. take it out in the back yard and stomp the craappp out of it. I will feel better.

#837 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfretter  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/780_60#post_22345997

I got a new bdt-500 BD player a week ago. Ive never had a panasonic before but thought I would try it. This player is nice but the remote control is such a flipin joke its hard to believe any engineer/product designer would let this out of the lab. what a bad joke on me. The remote has a miniature touch screen on it, hard to believe. It is so small and touch sensitive one wrong pressure point from your finger and off it goes. Try to enter the encryption code from a remote router, I dare you! Try to skim through netflix video selections with this flppin remote!!! Do not buy this. I bought this online and am not sure what it will cost to return... but I know Im not keepin even if I have to..or get to.. take it out in the back yard and stomp the craappp out of it. I will feel better.

Seems like a minor thing to be making a big decision on.

e.g. I use the remote from my slightly old Panny 85 player with this new 500 player.

Search this thread for the single word: remote

#838 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfretter  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22345997

Fat,

"stomp" lol

#839 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22299291

Is there any difference in the transport / quality of the drive tray? My BDT210 is very loud when playing DVDs, quieter for Blu-ray but still can be loud.

Like I wrote on the sony thread, My 790 was loud during BD playback. I could hear it from over 15ft away. The noise wasn't coming from the fan (which was quiet), but the drive mechanism.

I briefly tried a bdt220cp from costco which did not read many of the BD I got from netflix (failed to read 3 out of 5 -- they seemed to be in decent shape). it could've been a bad unit, but the bdt500 reportedly contains better components and has better build quality, so I'm gonna give it a try. My last chance before biting the bullet and getting the overpriced oppo.

#840 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guima  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22346980

I briefly tried a bdt220cp from costco which did not read many of the BD I got from netflix (failed to read 3 out of 5 -- they seemed to be in decent shape). it could've been a bad unit, but the bdt500 reportedly contains better components and has better build quality, so I'm gonna give it a try.
I've just about given up on playing BD's from netflix on my BDT500. If the netflix disk is in pristine condition no problem, but the slightest imperfection on the reading surface will cause my BDT500 to skip around on the disk or outright refuse to play it. Sadly I'll put the offending disk in my PS3 and it plays flawlessly. I would say easily half or more of the netflix disk don't play nice with my BDT500.

#841 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravada  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22347129

I've just about given up on playing BD's from netflix on my BDT500. If the netflix disk is in pristine condition no problem, but the slightest imperfection on the reading surface will cause my BDT500 to skip around on the disk or outright refuse to play it. Sadly I'll put the offending disk in my PS3 and it plays flawlessly. I would say easily half or more of the netflix disk don't play nice with my BDT500.

thanks for the info!

oh well, I guess you do need to shell out $500 for a good bd player these days.

#842 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guima  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/840_60#post_22347360

thanks for the info!

oh well, I guess you do need to shell out $500 for a good bd player these days.

I've seen no reason to think that current Panasonic blu-ray players are somehow more finicky about playing discs than other current blu-ray players.

More likely that you got a player that happens to be slightly off in reading discs. Return it if you still can.

I've done that (return it) with one of the expensive high-end DVD players during the big closeout of DVD players that happened during the aftermath of the '08/'09 financial meltdown.

#843 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/840#post_22347390

I've seen no reason to think that current Panasonic blu-ray players are somehow more finicky about playing discs than other current blu-ray players.

More likely that you got a player that happens to be slightly off in reading discs. Return it if you still can.

I've done that (return it) with one of the expensive high-end DVD players during the big closeout of DVD players that happened during the aftermath of the '08/'09 financial meltdown.

Agree somewhat. However, one thing is having issues reading a disc, which is indeed more about the drive mechanics than anything else. There is another, whcih is the one I experienced with the bdt220, is that it consistently got completely stuck at where it failed reading the disc. Even attempting to skip that scene was finicky to say the least.

#844 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfretter  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22345997

Everyone will just about agree that the 500's remote is a real PITA. However, this issue has been beaten to a pulp here. I got a big yawn out of reading your post. One should do his/her homework before buying a product. Thus having done that myself, I knew what I was getting before I bought the 500. The solution is very simple. Just use an older Panny remote if you have one and enter that remote's 5 digit code into the 500's. I didn't have a old panny remote. So, I used my Directv's HR 24 receiver's remote, the RC65RX which is a universal type that can control up to 4 devices. I used the code for an older panny remote, 20490. Wah la problem solved. Have a nice day.

#845 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravada  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/810#post_22347129

I haven't rented from NetFlix, however I have from RedBox. The BDs I got from them were in real sad shape being no where near pristine. Frequently, I would find several scratches on each of them not to mention goo spots from people handling them after eating popcorn or whatever. I could get rid of the goo but not the scratches. Amazingly my 500 played those disks effortlessly without any problems whatsoever.

It's good to report the problems you had though. It's starting to look as though some 500s suffer from poor workmanship or faulty components. There are some lemons out there. I suppose I am among the lucky ones who got a perfect one without any flaws.

#846 ·
Hey guys,

Panasonic Australia told me today that they have NO plans to release the DMP-BDT500 in AUSTRALIA.

Therefore I'll need to import one if possible. Now I think my only concern is the Power Specifications of the BDT500.

Australia uses 230v (10% tolerance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country )
Could someone please inform me if ALL BDT500's use 100-240v Worldwide Mains Power or whatever the official term is?

It might just state it on the rear of the unit near the power socket? But I'm obviously not sure.

If they ALL use 100-240V then I have flexibility in where I import from to find the lowest price.

Of course I would like to avoid having to use a voltage converter.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide.

#848 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Medina  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/840#post_22350092

How's well does this player do 24p rate on regular DVD? Can it detect the rate automatically like the Sony players?
It does fine. Keep in mind it must be set each time when viewing a DVD.

S~

#849 ·
Ive had the BDT500 since release, excellent PQ and the touchpad is really not hard to use at all once you get used to it. Little bit of drama queenery when folks complain about such a small and simple feature.

#850 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek  /t/1386539/panasonic-dmp-bdt500/840#post_22350276

Ive had the BDT500 since release, excellent PQ and the touchpad is really not hard to use at all once you get used to it. Little bit of drama queenery when folks complain about such a small and simple feature.
I agree with you 100% on the 500's excellent PQ and AQ. However, I differ on the remote. I do agree that using the remote isn't hard at all. In fact, it's actually too easy to use even to the point of being too sensitive to the touch when one never intends to use it. Please note that I think Panasonic meant well. However, they didn't follow through very well in implementing that feature. Panasonic's engineers could have at least provided an additional function to enable or disable the remote's touchpad. It need not always be active, if one doesn't have any desire or need to use it.

So, I simply ignored it. At least, that's what I attempted to do. It's true that the 500's remote can operate everything just fine without ever using the touchpad at all. That's just how I used it for a while. Unfortunately, I found that it's somewhat like having a loaded gun with the safety lock off. Any random touch or accidental sweep across the pad's surface did on occasion trigger an undesirable action even terminating a program or movie that I was watching. That's when I made the switch to a universal remote. Problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.