Anyone have the Integra DBS-50.3 Blu-ray Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in the process of purchasing the Integra DBS-50.3 Blu-ray player.

I did not see it on AVS under Blu-ray players so thought I would inquiry to see if any AVS Members have it ?

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DBS-50.3&class=DVD&p=i

Integra DBS-50.3

Terry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here is the Brochure on the New Integra DBS-50.3.

I'm surprised no one on AVS has one of these new units.

Terry
post #3 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, Terry -

I'm looking to convert from my Blu-Ray from a Panasonic DMP-BD30 to the Integra DBS-50.3, so I'd be interested in your observations if/when you get it.

Cheers!
post #4 of 18 Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTUSPIKE View Post

Hi, Terry -

I'm looking to convert from my Blu-Ray from a Panasonic DMP-BD30 to the Integra DBS-50.3, so I'd be interested in your observations if/when you get it.

Cheers!

Rick,

Since the Integra DHC-80.3 Pre-Amp Processor is on back-order until the end of Feb. it will be awhile.
I purchased both of them so they would match.
I'm looking forward to this up-grade from my existing Integra DVD player.

I also have the Runco VX-11d as part of this up-grade.

Terry
post #5 of 18 Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does the 50.3 BD offer wi-fi?
post #6 of 18 Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Re the Integra DBS-50.3, it looks interesting and has 7.1 RCA analog outs on the back.

What's the suggested list?

A search of Amazon doesn't show it; is it dealer only?

BTW thanks for the link to the company site in OP.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #7 of 18 Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm also purchasing the same Blue-Ray player along with the DHC-80.3 and the DTA-70.1. I'll be sure to post my results when all is hooked-up and rocking. I'll also be using Tributaries XLR's with my amp hook-up.

Peace to all.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Liked: 14
Anyone care to provide a review of your Integra DBS-50.3 players ??? or did you get so immersed in it you forgot about this thread biggrin.gif
post #9 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 PM

When my room construction is finished sometime in March, I will be getting the Integra DHC-80.3 and the DTA-70.1. I was going to get the DBS-50.3 and it's an excellent player but after one of my good friends that had that player for severe testing along with the Denon 1713 and Oppo 103, he stumbled on the new Panasonic DMP-BDT500. He said the Blu-Rays and DVD quality on the DBS was superb but the blu-ray's seem to be a little soft looking and not as vibrant as the Panasonic. The Panasonic model seem to make the picture quality jump out at you more. So I've decided to give the Panasonic a try instead of the Integra DBS-50.3. It's under $300.00 on Amazon. If I don't like it, I can dump it and give the DBS a whirl. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from purchasing the Integra Blu-Ray player in any way.

Peace to all.

P.S. I'm documenting my entire construction build. Once done, I'll be displaying my photos on here along with my test results of all my equipment.

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Integra DHC-80.3
Integra DTA-70.1
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu-Ray
Pioneer LX-70 DVD Burner
Definitive Technology RCS II - F, L & C
Definitive Technology RSS II - Sides & Back
JL Audio Fathom F112 Sub
SurgeX SA-20 Surge for the Sub and Amp.
Bluejean Balanced Cables
Voodoo Cable Receptacle for 20 amp service
12 AWG Speaker Wire, CL2, CL3 and CL4 rated
Cool Components TC-ASC
Cool Components VS-HFL
post #10 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post

Anyone care to provide a review of your Integra DBS-50.3 players ??? or did you get so immersed in it you forgot about this thread biggrin.gif
[Well I not sure one would consider this a review.
But I can tell you what I think of mine.
I have had it now for some length of time.
I have done all the up dates as they have come available.
It loads fast.
It has an Awesome picture on Blu-Ray.
It does nothing really wrong that I know of.
I really like it for going to Netflix, Vudu, Film Fresh etc.
I don't really know what else there is to comment on.
I actually wanted it because I aslo have the Integra Pre-Amp Processor.
So I wanted to match up my components.
Also I know that in doing matched components there is not going to be any issue with them communicating with one another.
And there is No Issue with them talking with one another at all.
I have mine set to Up-Scale everything to 1080p.
Oh and running regular DVD's is no problem.
I will say that even though it does up scale regular DVD's to 1080p don't expect them to look like a Blu-Ray.
It is not going to do that.

Well there is what I can speak of after having mine for many months now.

Terry/SIZE]
post #11 of 18 Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 AM

Nice review "tigerhonaker. I may reconsider. Though, I or my friend never encountered any handshaking issues with the different players we use. It's nice to see a review on the DBS-50.3. It's very hard finding reviews on the 50.3 on the net. Did you set your pre-amp for 'THROUGH' to let the player do the video coding and pass the signal untouched through your pre-amp and to your monitor or is it set to 'SOURCE'?

Your really not going to notice a difference in blu-ray quality. Blu-rays are uncompressed and whether you purchase a cheap Magnavox blu-ray player for $75.00 at Wal-Mart or spend $17,000.00 on a Krell blu-ray player, your really not going to notice a difference. A matter of fact, I really don't know of any blu-ray player on the market or in existence that has any blu-ray filtering. You really don't need any filtering for blu-rays since they product the perfect video. The real problem starts with older DVD's. Not the remastered or digitized one's but the originals with noise issues.

Though the video processor in the DHC-80.3 is excellent and the same processor is in the DBS.

Anyway, let me know how you set up your system.

Peace to you and everyone out there in Audiophile Land. wink.gif
post #12 of 18 Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn47 View Post

Nice review "tigerhonaker. I may reconsider. Though, I or my friend never encountered any handshaking issues with the different players we use. It's nice to see a review on the DBS-50.3. It's very hard finding reviews on the 50.3 on the net. Did you set your pre-amp for 'THROUGH' to let the player do the video coding and pass the signal untouched through your pre-amp and to your monitor or is it set to 'SOURCE'?

Your really not going to notice a difference in blu-ray quality. Blu-rays are uncompressed and whether you purchase a cheap Magnavox blu-ray player for $75.00 at Wal-Mart or spend $17,000.00 on a Krell blu-ray player, your really not going to notice a difference. A matter of fact, I really don't know of any blu-ray player on the market or in existence that has any blu-ray filtering. You really don't need any filtering for blu-rays since they product the perfect video. The real problem starts with older DVD's. Not the remastered or digitized one's but the originals with noise issues.

Though the video processor in the DHC-80.3 is excellent and the same processor is in the DBS.

Anyway, let me know how you set up your system.

Peace to you and everyone out there in Audiophile land.

Here is a Thread you should read if you have the Integra DHC-80.3.
I never posted this here on AVS.

Here is the Link:
Very-Important, if you have the "Integra DHC-80.3" ...

http://www.audioaficionado.org/home-theater/13481-very-important-if-you-have-integra-dhc-80-3-a.html

I think you will find the information helpful and certainly interesting.

Terry
post #13 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM

To get back to your DBS-50.3, are you using the player to do the video processing or are you using your projector to do the video processing. That projector you have is probably way over the $20k level. If your using the projector to upscale your video, then it wouldn't be fair to give any credit to the DBS-50.3 since the majority people out here can't afford $20k+ for a projector to do the video processing. If your using the video processing in the DBS then great, your review will help all us curious buyers make the right buying decision.

Also, you really can't do a review of any Blu-Ray player with Blu-Rays since all Blu-Ray Discs are perfect and no upscaling is required for them to increase the video quality. Blu-Rays are uncompressed data and no upscaling or noise filtering is needed. Though DVD's are the real test here. Many players on the market have problems with the proper filtering of DVD's. It's pretty much a hit and miss situation. Only through personal trial and error one can only determine if that player can produce the quality results expected from DVD's. And extensive testing of DVD's is mandatory not only to test the players filtering process but also how hot you can get the video processing chip in the player since different temperatures in the player and room will effect the video quality. This is a proven fact. Good air-flow is a must not only for your universal player but also for all your equipment.

My reply to your testing of the DBS-50.3 wasn't intended to bash or put you down in any way. I'm just trying to get the best tested results on this player by those who own it and what results they have encountered that will help those who might be interested in the future purchase of the DBS-50.3.

I want to wish you lots of success with your new equipment and if you ever encounter any issues in the future with your DBS, please make a post about it. Thanks and have a wonderful day. wink.gif
post #14 of 18 Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn47 View Post

To get back to your DBS-50.3, are you using the player to do the video processing or are you using your projector to do the video processing. That projector you have is probably way over the $20k level. If your using the projector to upscale your video, then it wouldn't be fair to give any credit to the DBS-50.3 since the majority people out here can't afford $20k+ for a projector to do the video processing. If your using the video processing in the DBS then great, your review will help all us curious buyers make the right buying decision.

Also, you really can't do a review of any Blu-Ray player with Blu-Rays since all Blu-Ray Discs are perfect and no upscaling is required for them to increase the video quality. Blu-Rays are uncompressed data and no upscaling or noise filtering is needed. Though DVD's are the real test here. Many players on the market have problems with the proper filtering of DVD's. It's pretty much a hit and miss situation. Only through personal trial and error one can only determine if that player can produce the quality results expected from DVD's. And extensive testing of DVD's is mandatory not only to test the players filtering process but also how hot you can get the video processing chip in the player since different temperatures in the player and room will effect the video quality. This is a proven fact. Good air-flow is a must not only for your universal player but also for all your equipment.

My reply to your testing of the DBS-50.3 wasn't intended to bash or put you down in any way. I'm just trying to get the best tested results on this player by those who own it and what results they have encountered that will help those who might be interested in the future purchase of the DBS-50.3.

I want to wish you lots of success with your new equipment and if you ever encounter any issues in the future with your DBS, please make a post about it. Thanks and have a wonderful day. wink.gif

Here is the deal with all this.

1st off as you noted I have the Runco VX-11d projector.
It is a $ 30,000.00 Dollar unit.
http://www.runco.com/products/projectors/dlp/videoxtreme-portfolio/VideoXtreme_VX-11d

That being said all video gets procssed by the DHD4 external controller.
It is an automatic process and all video is up-scaled to 1080p.

So, even though the Integra DBS-50.3 BluRay player is set for 1080p Up-Scaling it actually makes No-Difference in my situation.
I could set the 50.3 for 720p and as I said once that video signal gets to the Runco DHD4 Controller it is going to get Up-Scaled to 1080p.

Next:

Speaking of the 50.3 and DVD processing.
Once again I could tell you that the DVDs look awesome but that would be CRAZY.
One reason is what I just shared with you on video processing.
The Video is going to go through the Runco DHD4 (Always) so there is no way for me on my end to discuss the 50.3 and it processing a DVD.
Keep this in mind on DVDs.
They are not all equal !!!
Example a (SUPERBIT) DVD will look better than a plain Ole DVD in Video as well as Audio.
That is just an example as there are different quality DVDs as there are Blu-Ray disc.
I'm sure you know that all Blu-Ray disc are not at all the same in picture Quality as well as Audio.

With all the above being said in my case I can't actually give specific (Factual) information as to how the Integra DBS 50.3 Up-Scales the Video.

This is going to require someone with a T/V that does not on it's own have better Video Processing than the 50.3.
And obviously that has the Integra DBS 50.3 player.
In the right situation then that person could give a Matter-Of-Fact review on the Integra DBS 50.3.

Terry

I wish this Internet Site had {Spell-Check} as it does not on this end.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Tigerhonaker,

Did you notice any difference in sound quality after you let the DBS-50.3 burn in some?

After playing some Blu-Rays, I decided to see how the player worked as a simple CD player. While playing CDs, I've been comparing actual sound of the HDMI connections vs. Analog RCA-composite outputs of the DBS-50.3 straight in to the CD inputs in my own DHC-40.1 preamp. I do notice the sound stage opens up and becomes more clear for sure and I'm using some very high dollar Cardas cables to compare though. Its not broken in yet, but I'm thinking I might actually be able to live with the DBS-50.3 as a CD player too versus a dedicated transport. Next I plan to test running the DBS-50.3 straight into a more dedicated audiophile grade 2-channel audio preamp to see how that does instead of through my Integra DHC-40.1. I"ve found no reviews by anyone trying the DBS-50.3 as an audio grade CD player. I only have (8) hours of burn-in time on my player as of today. Originally I had no thoughts of it being good enough as a CD player. However, If it manages to sound more open or detailed than it is now after it breaks in, I might be using the DBS-50.3 as my CD player too and forgo the whole idea of a decidated tranport/DAC for my adjacent two channel audio system.
post #16 of 18 Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Tigerhonaker,

Did you notice any difference in sound quality after you let the DBS-50.3 burn in some?

After playing some Blu-Rays, I decided to see how the player worked as a simple CD player. While playing CDs, I've been comparing actual sound of the HDMI connections vs. Analog RCA-composite outputs of the DBS-50.3 straight in to the CD inputs in my own DHC-40.1 preamp. I do notice the sound stage opens up and becomes more clear for sure and I'm using some very high dollar Cardas cables to compare though. Its not broken in yet, but I'm thinking I might actually be able to live with the DBS-50.3 as a CD player too versus a dedicated transport. Next I plan to test running the DBS-50.3 straight into a more dedicated audiophile grade 2-channel audio preamp to see how that does instead of through my Integra DHC-40.1. I"ve found no reviews by anyone trying the DBS-50.3 as an audio grade CD player. I only have (8) hours of burn-in time on my player as of today. Originally I had no thoughts of it being good enough as a CD player. However, If it manages to sound more open or detailed than it is now after it breaks in, I might be using the DBS-50.3 as my CD player too and forgo the whole idea of a decidated tranport/DAC for my adjacent two channel audio system.

In my case I only have a very few CD's and I don't even recall when the last time I listened to one of them.

I'm not one of the Audio Aficianado types by any means.

In my situation I am the Movie sort of fellow.
I do have a lot of Music but it is on DVDs where I am looking at the performances as well as listening to them.

I can offer an opinion on using the 50.3 as your CD Player.
My (Opinion) is it will be just fine.
There is something I have learned over years of having Audio/Video gear.

This could get very quickly into a never ending debate of which In my case I'm not interested in getting into.

But I'll take a chance and make these comments.
I really doubt that a person honestly is going to hear the difference in the 50.3 Integra player than having a stand alone CD player.
I once upon time had a stsnd alone $5,000.00 Dollar CD Player.
Now I know there are CD Players out there that cost far-far more than the one I had.
My point is this, I can't honestly say I really heard any difference in it than the Integra 50.3 or any other normal priced CD player.
I think people that can afford a $20K dollar CD Player and audio cables that cost $30K dollars are going to Hear a Difference because.
They are Suppose to Hear a Difference !!!
But Blind Fold them and put them in a room they have not been in and there would be a very embarrased, surprised person probably.
What is my real point here ???
If those that have the money to spend, spend it they in their minds are going to hear a difference.
They were told what to listen for and what they can hear by their Audio/Video Rep.
So they sure are not going to ever Admit they did not and cannot hear any real difference in lower priced gear versus the extreme priced gear they can afford.

That above is what I have read and honestly as I said above have personally experienced on some level.
I think the same goes for the extremely higher priced cables.
Your told what they can do so you are going to hear that because you spent the money and you know you are suppose to be hearing things that you could not hear with lesser expensive cables.

Well so much for my sharing thoughts here on AVS.

No (Offense) meant by my comments here a Sharing of Knowledge with you.

TERRY
post #17 of 18 Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM

So far so good on the DBS-50.3 unit as a CD PLAYER. Prior to this I had a special edition Marantz CD player that sounded great. I think this new Integra is pretty close and its not even broken in yet. Might even sound a tad smoother than my former dedicated CD unit.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So far so good on the DBS-50.3 unit as a CD PLAYER. Prior to this I had a special edition Marantz CD player that sounded great. I think this new Integra is pretty close and its not even broken in yet. Might even sound a tad smoother than my former dedicated CD unit.

I'm glad the Integra 50.3 is performing so well for you.

It does exactly what I expect from it on my end.

Terry

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd30k 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page