The Pioneer BDP-62FD/150/450 2012 Blu-ray Player Thread - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > The Pioneer BDP-62FD/150/450 2012 Blu-ray Player Thread

Blu-ray Players

Big C's Avatar Big C
06:15 AM Liked: 25
post #1 of 661
01-29-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008

    This could be a good thread to discuss everything from pre-production, all the way up to user discussions once they have been released. I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread even before Pioneer begins preparing for this lineup. This might give Pioneer a chance to take our requests into consideration. After seeing Pioneer's recent model number paterns, I have a pretty good idea of the new model numbers for these players. For those of you who have been following Pioneer worldwide, I'm sure you have an idea of what models are specific to North America, and what models are specific to the rest of the world. If they turn out to be wrong, I beg the moderators to correct them. (I just corrected the model numbers for those who find this thread.)

 

    I would like to start off with my input.

I understand that due to economic conditions, Pioneer's player manufacturing plant has closed. I have no problem with Pioneer relying on OEMs. It's just that Sharp and TCL are low-quality manufacturors. Sharp's players lack features, and TCL's hardware is buggy. Oppo and Cambridge's highly-regarded players are built by BBK, while Denon's, Marantz's, and Yamaha's highly-regarded players are built by Inkel (Sherwood's parent company).

As far as features are concerned, I would like the MediaTek MT8555 chipset as the player's brain for speed and functionality. he IR sensor was very weak and narrow on the 2011 lineup. Please consider the Marvell QDEO technology for video processing. For those who have receivers before 2011 and 2012, please add: 176.4 KHz, 24 bit output when SACD is being output as PCM so that PQLS could be taken advantage of even at a high FS value. Adding the Sound Retriever feature to the player would make compressed MP3s, WMAs, and iTunes files,, as well as standard definition Dolby Digital, and DTS soundtracks sound as good as CDs and Blu-ray discs so that once the player converts these sources to PCM output, PQLS would be even more effective when used with receivers not compatible with PQLS bitstreaming. Adding Stream Smoother to the actual player would reduce compression artifacts when playing content recorded at a lower bitrate such as single-layer DVDs and single-layer Blu-ray discs, as well as streaming sources such as Netflix and Youtube, when the player is used with older receivers which don't have this feature. For those who prefer video processing to be done either by a connected receiver or display, Source Direct would be greatly appreciated. Adjustable gamma (below and above the nutral position) would be useful for those displays that have trouble with detail in dark scenes. I'm not an expert on AVI, DivX, and WMV. So that's where suggestions from the other forum members could greatly help to contribute. I hope some Pioneer representatives worldwide stumble upon this thread before these new players go into production so that maybe we'll finally be able to get a player that lives up to the Pioneer tradition we so greatly love and miss.


Big C's Avatar Big C
11:23 AM Liked: 25
post #2 of 661
04-09-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008
I wasn't aware I actually created this thread all the way back in January. No wonder you said it was a little early, Jleholeho! Anyway ... Now that Pioneer started sales, as well as preproduction for their 2012 A/V receiver lineup, has anyone heard any inside information on their 2012 Blu-ray player lineup?
Big C's Avatar Big C
11:41 AM Liked: 25
post #3 of 661
04-09-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008
When playing DVD-AUDIO and DVD-VIDEO from a USB storage device, allow the player to read the AUDIO_TS or VIDEO_TS folder the same way as if inserting a DVD-AUDIO or DVD-VIDEO disc so we can have access to menus and play modes. Likewise, when playing Blu-ray video from a USB storage device, allow the player to read the BDAV and BDMV folders the same way as if inserting a Blu-ray disc so we can have access to menus and play modes.
Enitime's Avatar Enitime
08:47 PM Liked: 15
post #4 of 661
04-18-2012 | Posts: 141
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

has anyone heard any inside information on their 2012 Blu-ray player lineup?

BDP-150 is a definite model number.

That's it.
Matt Stieg's Avatar Matt Stieg
09:14 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 661
04-19-2012 | Posts: 136
Joined: May 2009
I'm not sure how the current zoom function performs on the 2011 models, but I would like to see an incremental zoom function like the LG uses (or used to use, I checked out their 2012 lineup and it looks like they've dropped their zoom function).

Pretty much all zoom functions are far too choppy and coarse. As far as I'm aware, LG are the only ones that have a zoom function that zooms directly into the middle of the frame without any picture distortion and also zooms in very small increments. This is good for all those annoyingly windowboxed 4x3 Criterion DVDs.
PalmiNio's Avatar PalmiNio
05:44 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 661
04-25-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

I wasn't aware I actually created this thread all the way back in January. No wonder you said it was a little early, Jleholeho! Anyway ... Now that Pioneer started sales, as well as preproduction for their 2012 A/V receiver lineup, has anyone heard any inside information on their 2012 Blu-ray player lineup?

Got a presentation from Pioneer on BDP-150 and BDP-450

BDP-450 will feature WiFi + Qdeo + 2xHDMI out + IP controll above all the things BDP-440 got. 249-299 Euro. Can be a great player. More or less BDP-LX55 moving down.

Looked lite BDP-150 will be more or less the same as BDP-140. Maybe more conent and quicker. But still no WiFi(optional), 3D, SACD, DNLA.

Only got a presentation of the USP, no deep tech spec.
realzven's Avatar realzven
03:01 AM Liked: 84
post #7 of 661
04-26-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmiNio View Post

Got a presentation from Pioneer on BDP-150 and BDP-450

BDP-450 will feature WiFi + Qdeo + 2xHDMI out + IP controll above all the things BDP-440 got. 249-299 Euro. Can be a great player. More or less BDP-LX55 moving down.

Looked lite BDP-150 will be more or less the same as BDP-140. Maybe more conent and quicker. But still no WiFi(optional), 3D, SACD, DNLA.

Only got a presentation of the USP, no deep tech spec.

thanks for the news and keep us updated when more news arrive

The presentation was made in a european country ?

thanks
PalmiNio's Avatar PalmiNio
05:11 AM Liked: 10
post #8 of 661
04-26-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

thanks for the news and keep us updated when more news arrive

The presentation was made in a european country ?

thanks

Will do.

Yes, Euro version.
realzven's Avatar realzven
05:27 AM Liked: 84
post #9 of 661
04-26-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmiNio View Post

Will do.

Yes, Euro version.

which country ? any link of the presentation ?
thanks
PalmiNio's Avatar PalmiNio
11:00 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 661
04-26-2012 | Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

which country ? any link of the presentation ?
thanks

Working for a large Euro-chain so no country specific. The presentation is offline and a little bit confidential.

But it contains info on Pioneer Receivers - Home Cinema - Blu-Ray for 2012.
realzven's Avatar realzven
03:47 AM Liked: 84
post #11 of 661
04-27-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmiNio View Post

Working for a large Euro-chain so no country specific. The presentation is offline and a little bit confidential.

But it contains info on Pioneer Receivers - Home Cinema - Blu-Ray for 2012.

ok thanks
realzven's Avatar realzven
03:50 AM Liked: 84
post #12 of 661
05-10-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
any news from the 2012 pioneer players ?
realzven's Avatar realzven
07:07 AM Liked: 84
post #13 of 661
05-10-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
A news from pioneer europe
the BDP 150 http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/newsroom/n...150/index.html
realzven's Avatar realzven
02:20 AM Liked: 84
post #14 of 661
05-12-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
the euro BDP-150 on schlauershoppen.de





jleholeho's Avatar jleholeho
07:51 AM Liked: 11
post #15 of 661
05-12-2012 | Posts: 269
Joined: Jul 2010
I wish Pio would include IR-control in/out in the new BDP-450...the remote controls/sensors are totally weak on both BDP-440 and LX55...
Big C's Avatar Big C
07:08 AM Liked: 25
post #16 of 661
05-13-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post

I wish Pio would include IR-control in/out in the new BDP-450...the remote controls/sensors are totally weak on both BDP-440 and LX55...

But how do you know that the IR sensors will still be weak on the new models? Maybe Pioneer changed OEMs after all the customer complaints. If the BDP-450 is the same thing as a combination of the new BDP-150 and BDP-LX55, I wonder what the BDP-LX56 could possibly add?
jleholeho's Avatar jleholeho
03:21 AM Liked: 11
post #17 of 661
05-14-2012 | Posts: 269
Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

But how do you know that the IR sensors will still be weak on the new models? Maybe Pioneer changed OEMs after all the customer complaints. If the BDP-450 is the same thing as a combination of the new BDP-150 and BDP-LX55, I wonder what the BDP-LX56 could possibly add?

Yup, they might as well proceed to implement some more quality sensors, after all...with the current players, it´s obvious that both remote control and a sensor on front panel are pretty weak...when I´m using the remote from my VSX-1121 to control my BDP-440, I can see a little "signal-boost" but it´s still pretty weak compared to when controlling the AVR...that means the front sensor on the BDP-440 is a real crap...if there was IR control out on the player now, it´d fix this easily as the main controlling sensor would be the stronger one on the AVR
Big C's Avatar Big C
07:37 PM Liked: 25
post #18 of 661
05-14-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008
The two features which matter most to me at this time are DSD-to-PCM at 176.4 KHz, 24 bit with PQLS, and adjustable gamma in the video parameters. From what I understand, I might have sent my suggestions to Pioneer a little too late this year in order for them to be considered. So I might try again next January at the latest. I probibly should send my suggestions for the 2013 receiver and Blu-ray player lineups to Pioneer during the fall of this year.
realzven's Avatar realzven
04:27 AM Liked: 84
post #19 of 661
05-18-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
19/05/2012

The pioneer BDP-150 on akihabaranews and pioneer.jp
onesolo's Avatar onesolo
08:43 AM Liked: 11
post #20 of 661
06-11-2012 | Posts: 44
Joined: May 2009
When info from the other models will be available?!?!
realzven's Avatar realzven
02:12 AM Liked: 84
post #21 of 661
06-12-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
in europe the 150 is available, but no news for the BDP-450 nor the LX56...
Maybe Chris Walker "Walkamo" can provide more insider info
Big C's Avatar Big C
06:25 AM Liked: 25
post #22 of 661
06-13-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

in europe the 150 is available, but no news for the BDP-450 nor the LX56...
Maybe Chris Walker "Walkamo" can provide more insider info
The 150 got a bad report in the 2011 thread. It looks like I won't be getting these players either, if they'll be a repeat of last year. So would October or November be a good time to write to Chris Walker, as well as Pioneer of Japan, with the features I would like to see added in their 2013 A/V receiver AND Blu-ray player lineups?
realzven's Avatar realzven
07:01 AM Liked: 84
post #23 of 661
06-13-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

The 150 got a bad report in the 2011 thread. It looks like I won't be getting these players either, if they'll be a repeat of last year. So would October or November be a good time to write to Chris Walker, as well as Pioneer of Japan, with the features I would like to see added in their 2013 A/V receiver AND Blu-ray player lineups?

Only Chris can answer...
onesolo's Avatar onesolo
02:21 AM Liked: 11
post #24 of 661
06-15-2012 | Posts: 44
Joined: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

The 150 got a bad report in the 2011 thread. It looks like I won't be getting these players either, if they'll be a repeat of last year. So would October or November be a good time to write to Chris Walker, as well as Pioneer of Japan, with the features I would like to see added in their 2013 A/V receiver AND Blu-ray player lineups?
Oh common...
Quote:
Hi Realzven,

Unfortunately the DSD-PCM conversion is limited to 88.2KHz at 20-Bit. This is a limitation of the MTK chipset..

I am still awaiting an answer for the Gamma control....

thanks,

Chris Walker
Pioneer Electronics

We are talking about the low model ... I don't think that for most people that buy this model find that important... even in the 450 I don't think that matters a lot...
SACD is not a big format... I only have a few of them (from only one band) cause no other bands (that I like) release a SACD version of their cds...
I'd rather had a better player in terms of video settings and features than a better SACD, of course at this price range
Speakerphile's Avatar Speakerphile
12:47 PM Liked: 164
post #25 of 661
06-26-2012 | Posts: 2,008
Joined: Mar 2010
The latest I heard was that Pioneer was developing the new Elite players completely in-house. For what it's worth... This is good news to me!
jleholeho's Avatar jleholeho
01:22 AM Liked: 11
post #26 of 661
06-27-2012 | Posts: 269
Joined: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

The latest I heard was that Pioneer was developing the new Elite players completely in-house. For what it's worth... This is good news to me!

I don´t trust any rumours about in-house production when it comes to Pio BDPs...
Walkamo said exactly the same thing some 10 months ago about the BDP-440/52FD and BDP-LX55/53FD and what happened? A bunch of strange behaviors from the players, Pio´s inability to release some competent firmware upgrade, freezing, no goddamn track/chapter number on display, catastrophic remote controls/sensors...
a Pio EU employee assured me in April that FW update for BDP-440 will be coming out within the end of May, it´s end of June and there´s NOTHING...
yesterday I played some .FLACs via DLNA on my BDP-440, I had to re-connect it to the wall outlet twice as it completely froze on me...
Until I read some unbiased review of the new Pio BDPs, confirming quality and bugless performance, I´m out of it...and I suggest everyone to do the same...
TuenMuner's Avatar TuenMuner
04:31 AM Liked: 10
post #27 of 661
06-29-2012 | Posts: 541
Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

The latest I heard was that Pioneer was developing the new Elite players completely in-house. For what it's worth... This is good news to me!

From what I read on a Hong Kong based AV forum, LX56 will be once again made by TCL. (can't find the link now)
Big C's Avatar Big C
06:10 AM Liked: 25
post #28 of 661
06-30-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

From what I read on a Hong Kong based AV forum, LX56 will be once again made by TCL. (can't find the link now)
I'm definitely passing on the 2012 lineup after reading this! If I get a chance, I might just decide to move my Pioneer components up to my bedroom and bring down my Yamaha 2006-model HTR-5935SL receiver with multi-channel analog input and connect my Yamaha BD-A1010 player for jitterless, unprocessed audio all across the board.
Big C's Avatar Big C
06:43 AM Liked: 25
post #29 of 661
07-10-2012 | Posts: 1,378
Joined: Apr 2008
According to this press release, the BDP-61FD/450 will be available from October onwards. I'm thinking that the longer they put off releasing it, the better chance the bugs will be worked out and requested features will be added. And don't forget that we still have one more chance for 2012 with the BDP-63FD/LX56.
realzven's Avatar realzven
08:09 AM Liked: 84
post #30 of 661
07-10-2012 | Posts: 519
Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

According to this press release, the BDP-61FD/450 will be available from October onwards. I'm thinking that the longer they put off releasing it, the better chance the bugs will be worked out and requested features will be added. And don't forget that we still have one more chance for 2012 with the BDP-63FD/LX56.

smile.gif A good news for the BDP450 the two HDMI send Video and Audio, the 53FD/LX55 only send Audio on HDMI 2 (on HDMI 1 : Video+Audio)
Tags: Blu Ray Players , Pioneer

Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3