post #91 of 104 Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1492 View Post

But do the Insignias have 7.1 analog out?

no
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 03-31-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dont see it on there website anymore
post #93 of 104 Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man View Post

Dont see it on there website anymore

Monoprice frequently gets out of stock for items but I've never seen them remove a product from their website for being out of stock......very odd.....
post #94 of 104 Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Monoprice frequently gets out of stock for items but I've never seen them remove a product from their website for being out of stock......very odd.....

I chatted with Monoprice tech support and they were vague, something about they had a quantity and simply sold out. I'd guess they were just testing the market with this product, something quite different than they normally carry, and that customer problems plus the negative reviews on this forum and others caused them to abandon the product. Actually despite those reviews I was thinking of buying one because all I wanted was the 7.1 analog, didn't care a whit about region universality, small buttons, slow remote response time, etc. and nobody ever criticized the picture or sound quality.
I sometimes question the wisdom of a huge *DO NOT BUY* appearing in a post. Just because a product doesn't suit one person's needs doesn't mean it might not be perfectly OK for others.
post #95 of 104 Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM

Such a shame. I have one of these and have been more than pleased with it's performance. The only negative I had about it was that the USB port only supports fat32 drives so I can't play back larger movie files but it dos a decent job for the money and the analog outs are icing on the cake. I hope monoprice decides to bring it back! I am glad I got one when I did and I hope monoprice continues to carry products like this and not just cables.
post #96 of 104 Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Can someone confirm, this player supports DLNA? Can it stream and play MKV movies from a NTFS formatted PC Hard Drive via wired Ethernet? Or what file systems it supports? Via what player menu & application?

Can it play MKV movies from a NTFS formatted USB hard drive? Or formatted in what file system - FAT32, NTFS, Ext2?

Can it play music from a PC hooked over wired Ethernet and USB -which audio formats, as tested by forum users, not from manual or website?

Is it Wi-Fi Ready or has integrated Wi-Fi?

I'm kind of amazed, 4 thread pages all about nothing: bad Remote sensitivity, etc. Why don't look at TrustedReviews.com for an example of a blu-ray player review that makes sense?
post #97 of 104 Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Okay, so now that this player seems to have disappeared (right when I was ready to buy one), NOW what's the cheapest player with 5.1 analog outputs?

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #98 of 104 Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post

Okay, so now that this player seems to have disappeared (right when I was ready to buy one), NOW what's the cheapest player with 5.1 analog outputs?

It's a very serious price leap from the inexpensive (now discontinued?) Monoprice $77 blu-ray player (which has 5.1 analog outs) to a current/recent player at maybe $300 or $400 or even $500!

$500 = OPPO 93 (universal)
$400 = Yamaha BD-A1010BL (universal)
$300 = Panasonic DMP-BDT 500 (not universal, likely to show up for sale in the next few weeks)

OPPO doesn't discount, but above prices on Yamaha and Panasonic are street prices.

I personally am looking hard at both the Yamaha and soon upcoming Panasonic.

FWIW I returned my inexpensive Monoprice player and got the $77 refund without any hassle. So it cost me something like $21 shipping total for round trip shipping. I provided straight info about my experience with this player in this thread.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #99 of 104 Old 04-05-2012, 06:45 PM

OK, even though the player is gone I will answer the questions.
No DLNA, NO streaming, NO apps (not important to me, have a media server for that)
Built in Wireless N for BD live content, USB only recognizes FAT32 formatted drive but plays MP3, WMA, and AAC music files, JPG photos, and MKV and AVI files on the local drive. Not very usesful for movie playback because of the limitations of FAT32. Have not tried other formats. (not important to me, have a media server for that)
Analog audio outputs (very important to me!)
BD quality is excellent, remote is not that bad, have used MUCH worse in much more expensive equipment.
DVD upconvert decent quality, especially considering the price.
All in all I would have to say a good value for the money if the analog outputs was of prime importance as it is in my case.
It's a shame that a bad review because it did not fit someone's needs caused it to disappear.
post #100 of 104 Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post

DO NOT BUY

NOT REGION FREE FOR BLU-RAY

DOES NOT CONVERT 1080i/50 to 60hz

DOES NOT CONVERT PAL TO NTSC

My Insignia is way better. if you want a region free player that will play anything (besides 3D) get an Insignia NS-BRDVD4 or NS-WBRDVD2 refurb from BestBuy.com.

Thanks for the report. This was all I was interested in with respect to this player (as strictly a backup, able to play PAL, other regions, etc).

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #101 of 104 Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehb224 View Post

Analog audio outputs (very important to me!)

I don't think its disappeared, it takes time to go from Test version to mass product taking into account major customer concerns.

Can it play Lossless format like FLAC, or upmix Stereo source to 5.1 analog audio? Or it only converts 5.1 digital audio from a BR-disk to 5.1 analog Out? Can ANY BD player upmix Stereo or PCM from a source audio file on a hard drive on the fly to lossless 5.1 analog audio while playing a movie or song? If not, any PC software can do it on the fly?
post #102 of 104 Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Samsung BD-C6500 has 7.1 analog outs. You can get refurbs for under $100.
post #103 of 104 Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post

Samsung BD-C6500 has 7.1 analog outs. You can get refurbs for under $100.

I bought one of these for the very reason of it having 7.1.

Very happy with the player, no problems at all.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #104 of 104 Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 PM

Sorry to resurrect this ol thread, but ebay has some of these for 80 bucks. Ordered one for it's 7.1 pre-outs. Just curious, does this allow playback of files through a home network / file server? How reliable has it been for you guys? Has anyone found any firmware upgrades? Is this compatible with Harmony remotes? Can't wait, I'm very excited. Had a Sharp and a Panny break on me, so my faith in big names is shaken... Would love an Oppo, but don't have that kind of coin.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Logitech 620 Harmony Universal Remote Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page