AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Monoprice Blu-Ray Player (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1394022-monoprice-blu-ray-player.html)

blackzarg 02-13-2012 09:40 PM

Wow, was browsing Monoprice today and noticed that they had their own branded Blu-Ray player - the BDP-620. Did a google search and no one has really talked about it (except for three posts on blu-ray.com forums, but it was just speculation at that time).

It has a LAN port, but it looks like it's only for BD Live access only - no Netflix, Pandora, etc. HOWEVER - it does have 5.1 analog outputs - very unique!

It's not too bad at $77.00, but a bit pricey when the market has a lot of wi-fi connected players for around the same price. Wonder how it performs!

Rich86 02-13-2012 09:51 PM

If I am reading the description and spec's correctly, this player offers 3D and wi-fi - just not streaming. Not bad for $77 if it is decent quality. The idea of open source firmware is intriguing.

img eL 02-13-2012 10:22 PM

It even has usb

mjcmt 02-14-2012 01:19 PM

Dang! I wonder who makes it. I'm really interested in a budget bdp w/ analogue output for my non-hdmi avr.

jjeff 02-14-2012 01:51 PM

I wonder how long it's been out? It has no component outputs, I wonder if thats because of the new regulations for component outputs...No reviews on MP either which is odd, unless it's very new.
Monoprice generally has pretty decent quality products so I agree it might be interesting to give it a try. A very rare feature I'd like is the ability to display remaining time on the units display and not have it be on screen. The only other BD player I've seen with this feature was a old Insignia and Oppo.
I agree, it would be interesting to see who actually made this for MP, probably some Chinese company but which one.....

Jim McC 02-14-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

If I am reading the description and spec's correctly, this player offers 3D and wi-fi - just not streaming. Not bad for $77 if it is decent quality. The idea of open source firmware is intriguing.

Why would it have wi-fi but not streaming? What would the wi-fi be used for?

wmcclain 02-14-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

BD-Live.

What's this about "open firmware"? If it supported NTFS on USB, I could see some possibilities.

-Bill

rdclark 02-14-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

BD Live and firmware updates.

moxie1617 02-14-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

BD-Live.

What's this about "open firmware"? If it supported NTFS on USB, I could see some possibilities.

-Bill

With "open firmware" I'm concerned that they will expect us to write our own firmware updates. lol
Does monoprice have any products in their stable now that they provide software or firmware support? I've dealt with their support people and am impressed but this seems like an entirely different type of product for them.

TuenMuner 02-14-2012 06:02 PM

Googled and saw these:

http://www.loyaltyind.com/product_376.html

http://www.sz-seastar.com/gdsz/en/pro.asp

eljaycanuck 02-14-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

With "open firmware" I'm concerned that they will expect us to write our own firmware updates. lol

Hmmm...I took "open firmware" to mean that the player could be made region-free. Interesting. I was *this* close to buying it - for $77, why not?! - but then I saw that S&H was ~$33. Suddenly, it wasn't that tempting.

iraweiss 02-14-2012 07:09 PM

I just checked and shipping was $9.02.

pokekevin 02-14-2012 07:14 PM

Make it play sacd or dvda and I'm sold hah

PooperScooper 02-15-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

The first link claims Netflix, Vudu, etc. Interesting.

larry

jjeff 02-15-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

On your second link it lists the player has component output but MP says no component.....wonder whats up with that? Again I wonder if that feature was disabled or omitted for the N. American market?
BTW did anyone else notice the compare at price $455.79

OtherSongs 02-15-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

Wow, was browsing Monoprice today and noticed that they had their own branded Blu-Ray player - the BDP-620. Did a google search and no one has really talked about it (except for three posts on blu-ray.com forums, but it was just speculation at that time).

It has a LAN port, but it looks like it's only for BD Live access only - no Netflix, Pandora, etc. HOWEVER - it does have 5.1 analog outputs - very unique!

It's not too bad at $77.00, but a bit pricey when the market has a lot of wi-fi connected players for around the same price. Wonder how it performs!

BIG WOW!!

I ordered one; looks like a serious DEAL to me at ~$85 with the shipping. I paid ~$180 for a decent Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-ray player (my 1st so far, this monoprice unit makes my 2nd)

Main reasons for me was/is "5.1 Analog Audio Outputs" and that I've a fair amount of trust with monoprice.

If it really has BD Live then that is icing on the cake.

jjeff 02-15-2012 03:33 PM

^^^ cool, let us know what you think. I have a email into MP asking for a link to the manual but nothing so far

SpHeRe31459 02-15-2012 10:45 PM

I gotta say I find it a bit ironic that Monoprice, a vendor known for good quality inexpensive HDMI cables, doesn't include a free basic HDMI cable in the box. But seriously, this is a rather interesting find. Monoprice certainly has been branching out recently.

pokekevin 02-15-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

I gotta say I find it a bit ironic that Monoprice, a vendor known for good quality inexpensive HDMI cables, doesn't include a free basic HDMI cable in the box. But seriously, this is a rather interesting find. Monoprice certainly has been branching out recently.

True...lol

audio/videoman 02-15-2012 11:45 PM

Somebody buy this thing already and write a review! Be sure to ask for a free hdmi cable!

winston9332 02-16-2012 06:51 AM

it is tempting, but even $80 for no streaming is hard to reconcile when you can get a sony with every internet widget for about the same price (save the analogue outputs of course).

IndoSlim 02-16-2012 01:46 PM

This is perfect for me. I'm definitely trying this out. I have a Logitech Review, a XBox 360, and Samsung 52 inch internet connected TV, I think I have enough widgets and streaming options. I have an older receiver without HDMI, so the analog outputs are just what I was looking for.

JazzGuyy 02-16-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

^^^ cool, let us know what you think. I have a email into MP asking for a link to the manual but nothing so far

I wonder if it will be one of those manuals written in indecipherable Chinglish.

Kilian.ca 02-17-2012 12:57 AM

Not much point in having 5.1 analogue output with no dts-HD MA decoding, before even considering the quality of the analogue section.

Incomplete data from Blu-raystats.com for 3972 BDs:
Linear PCM 10.85 %
DTS-HD Master Audio 58.03 %
Dolby TrueHD 16.83 %

That means you only benefit in 27% of BDs.

onvoyed 02-17-2012 06:32 AM

Hey winston,might be a good choice for a review but seriously be interesting to see the chipset or who makes it...

jjeff 02-17-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

....I have a email into MP asking for a link to the manual but nothing so far

Well I got a PDF of the manual from MP, it's 1.9MB and I see no way to link to it, it was in a email from MP. If anyone wants a copy I guess you could PM me your email, or else email MP, Lacey was the one who sent it to me.
Oh, no remaining time for those interested in such a rare feature It has resume for non Java discs but gets cancelled once you eject the disc.
For those noting that a free HDMI cable would be a nice addition, in the second link provided by TuenMuner it looks like that version anyway comes with a HDMI cable Lacking remaining time I think I'll pass, I've already got 2 Pannys and a Sony what also lack my favorite feature, don't need another

shepP 02-18-2012 04:12 AM

maybe the open firmware will allow someone far smarter than me to add playback of 3d blu-ray iso

Bud-man 02-18-2012 01:52 PM

Open firmware might mean adding more app's, interesting

Tulpa 02-18-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

I gotta say I find it a bit ironic that Monoprice, a vendor known for good quality inexpensive HDMI cables, doesn't include a free basic HDMI cable in the box.

Monoprice probably gets them prepackaged from their overseas OEM. It's possible the boxes never actually go to the Monoprice building in Rancho Cucamunga but instead are in a warehouse somewhere waiting for delivery. Could be wrong, though.

Rich86 02-18-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Lacking remaining time I think I'll pass, I've already got 2 Pannys and a Sony what also lack my favorite feature, don't need another

What do you mean by "remaining time"? All my Sony players (S350, S550 & S1000es) show total time running during playback on the front panel display - and switch to displaying total remaining time of the title on the front panel display if I press the "Time" button on the remote.