BD Players with 2x or higher FF w/subtitles? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Sony BDP-S185/BX18 and discovered subtitles stop working at double speed. Every DVD player I've owned allowed speedwatching, very helpful for assigned viewing but also for meandering directors like Paul Thomas Anderson and Frank Darabont. Some players, I'm told, even keep subtitles at 4x speed, though I'm not quite that fast.

Is there someplace online 2x speed subtitles is listed among player specifications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The PS3 doesn't have 2x, but it does have 1.5x and displays subtitles as well as plays sped-up audio (and it doesn't sound very distorted for dialogue either). I get a lot of use of this when watching extras.

I think Panasonic BD players might also have a similar feature, my Panasonic BD recorder does it but it doesn't say how fast it's going, it just has 1 to 5 arrows.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks jd213, I've never had 1.5x speed but I'm going to look for the feature. The Sony BDP-S185/BX18 doesn't even list its 3 offered speeds, but by timing the credits they're roughly 4x, 8x, and 16x. So if 2x was available subtitles might have automatically appeared. Packing it up to return now.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

I purchased a Panasonic DMP-BDT110, and timed the fast forward speeds: an imperceptible 1.33x with sound and subtitles, then 10x without, etc. I'll have to return this too. Few of the PDF blu-ray manuals I've read list search speeds, though Insignia 2x, 4x, 8x, etc.

I'm trying to replace a 10-year old Panasonic DVD-RV32 whose speeds I timed at 2.25x with subtitles, then 6x, 12x, etc. Any 2x with subtitles will do.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inotropic View Post

I purchased a Panasonic DMP-BDT110, and timed the fast forward speeds: an imperceptible 1.33x with sound and subtitles, then 10x without, etc. I'll have to return this too. Few of the PDF blu-ray manuals I've read list search speeds, though Insignia 2x, 4x, 8x, etc.

I'm trying to replace a 10-year old Panasonic DVD-RV32 whose speeds I timed at 2.25x with subtitles, then 6x, 12x, etc. Any 2x with subtitles will do.

Price range?

As shown in #4 above, the OPPOs have subtitles at 2x and 4x. The BDP-93 is $499.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Samsung phone tech support finally confirmed the 7 fast forward speeds for the D5700 are indeed 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. But at home I found the 2x to lack subtitles, a first in my experience. A pity, since it's an excellent player otherwise.

I'm not an avid Blu-ray viewer and in no rush to upgrade, searching in the $100 price range, give or take. Starting to wonder if low end players simply can't handle fast forward subtitles due to high RPM. Thanks for the OPPO specs, Bill. Is it possible to move this thread to the Blu-ray player forum?
post #7 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

Is it possible to move this thread to the Blu-ray player forum?

Use the red triangle in the left margin to contact the moderators. Ask for a forum and title change.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #8 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Tried a friend's Insignia NS-BRDVD4. The speeds are 2x, 4x, etc., but without subtitles.

Another problem I'm encountering is BD's custom progress bars. Big or small, they obscure the subtitle area and don't seem to be removable.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Tried a friend's Insignia NS-BRDVD4. The speeds are 2x, 4x, etc., but without subtitles.

Another problem I'm encountering is BD's custom progress bars. Big or small, they obscure the subtitle area and don't seem to be removable.

Yeah, that's a problem on a lot of discs with BD-J. I hate it too (not to mention ones that obscure the screen when pausing or advancing chapters), but pretty much the only way to remove them is to view them on a PC (with copy protection removed), or re-author them.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I moved the recent posts and created a new thread here. If the title isn't correct, report a post and give a new title to be used.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #11 of 16 Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thread split, larry. It was nice to find I'm not the only one who misses this DVD feature.

Probably staying with the Samsung BD-D5700 until the technology catches up, but will continue to research.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Lost the Blu-ray player in March to a burglary. No big deal, these are Best Buy floor models. Finally replaced it with an LG BD220, which features subtitles at 2x and 4x! No sound, but that's okay. 4x is just beyond my reading speed and I think a caption occasionally gets skipped, but not at 2x. Here's the chart I made for my research. Hopefully someday technical specs will include this information.

Blu-ray player: - - - - - - - speed 1, speed 2, speed 3
Sony BDP-S185/BX18 - - - - 4x, 8x, 16x
OPPO BDP-93 - - - - - - - - 2x+subt, 4x+subt
PS3 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1.5x+subt, 2x
Panasonic DMP-BDT110 - - - - 1.3x+subt, 10x
Insignia NS-BRDVD4 - - - - - 2x, 4x, 8x
Samsung BD-D5700 - - - - 2x, 4x, 8x
LG BD220 - - - - - - - 2x+subt, 4x+subt
post #13 of 16 Old 08-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Hi,

I'm so glad I found this forum thread! I watch DVDs on an older Panasonic that can do 2x with audible audio and am now looking at getting a Blu-ray player with a similar feature.

Inotropic, if you can detail which ones in your list do sound as well, that would be great!
post #14 of 16 Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublespeed View Post

Hi,
I'm so glad I found this forum thread! I watch DVDs on an older Panasonic that can do 2x with audible audio and am now looking at getting a Blu-ray player with a similar feature.
Inotropic, if you can detail which ones in your list do sound as well, that would be great!

The Panasonics still do sound at the slowest FF speed. To add Sonys do not.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #15 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

The LG BD220 has no sound at 2x. Shorter captions meant to appear briefly sometimes only appear as a flicker at 2x, the only drawback.

For audio at 2x, what I'd love to find is a DVD or BD player that does time-compressed speech. Like the legal stuff at the end of radio ads. I have it on the PowerDVD 9 software on my computer, and it's perfectly comprehensible. It's great for watching featurettes and commentaries, and the occasional sluggish movie.

If there's a discussion here about time-compressed speech, please direct me to it. Thanks!
post #16 of 16 Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Liked: 0
the LG DP132 DVD Player DOES show subtitles at 2x

Just bought the LG DP132 Multi-Format DVD Player today for all of $29.00, and was happily shocked to find it DOES display the subtitles at 2x speed (maybe a bit less than 2x, but good enough for me).
My ancient Mintek dvd player, at least 15 years old, finally died; it always showed subtitles at 2x, a feature i've long searched for and never thought i'd find again. The LG has no bells or whistles, but works just fine. At this, price, I may go buy another before they phase it out or turn it into a Blu-Ray for triple the money.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S185 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S185 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page