Some US Blu-ray players incompatible with UK import Blu-rays authored at 50Hz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a UK import Blu-ray, Return to Cranford, that will only play on my LG BD530 player because it is apparently authored at 50Hz. It will not play on my Panasonic DMP BD30 or DMP BD605 Blu-ray players. I have also read many Amazon reviews that say all Sony Blu-ray players will not play region free import Blu-rays authored at 50Hz. Since many UK television series are only available on DVD in the US, it is preferable to import a Blu-ray.

Here is a discussion of the topic: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245.

Why won't many US Blu-ray players play these UK imports? When the companies are called, some of them deny that their players are 50Hz compatible, even if they are. Is the US movie industry responsible for pressuring the Blu-ray player manufacturers to prohibit 50Hz compatibility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ostrow View Post

I purchased a UK import Blu-ray, Return to Cranford, that will only play on my LG BD530 player because it is apparently authored at 50Hz. It will not play on my Panasonic DMP BD30 or DMP BD605 Blu-ray players. I have also read many Amazon reviews that say all Sony Blu-ray players will not play region free import Blu-rays authored at 50Hz. Since many UK television series are only available on DVD in the US, it is preferable to import a Blu-ray.

Here is a discussion of the topic: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245.

Why won't many US Blu-ray players play these UK imports? When the companies are called, some of them deny that their players are 50Hz compatible, even if they are. Is the US movie industry responsible for pressuring the Blu-ray player manufacturers to prohibit 50Hz compatibility?

We have a thread on this: List of Blu-ray movies authored in 1080i50, originally meant to be a list of film-based titles encoded as 1080i50. The second post is a list of players that do and do not accept it, but I don't think it is being kept up to date.

The NTSC/60hz vs PAL/50hz distinction goes back to the middle of the last century. Just incompatible standards that emerged because there was no world-wide coordination.

Originally I expect some players did not support 50hz because imported discs were just about unknown to the general public. Look at the reviews at Amazon UK from bitter American buyers of PAL DVDs. They've just never heard of it.

Now I suspect the restrictions are more insidious: restraint of trade. Sort of region coding plus.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3 of 3 Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What a new discovery!

It's not just about having different or incompatible standards (video and voltage, and before HD, connectors) but rather more about the will or the need to accommodate other standards than your own. Most of Europe, Asia (and possibly Australia) are all dual standard in video. Even before HD, my old British Pioneer LD player and my old Hong Kong Panasonic VCR and Sony DVD player are dual or multi-format compatible.

It can't be due to studio pressure, because it should work both ways and Europe for example would not support 60i. Also, it's up to individual brands and sometimes models within a brand. Many do support both standards in N America, so it can't be wide industry restriction, otherwise LG, Samsung, Pioneer, Denon and Oppo etc. would be in trouble. The list of dual standard players isn't exactly short so it's a simple matter of buyer beware and doing the homework beforehand. Avoid Sony and Panasonic for a start. Next you have to worry about the display.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k , Lg Bd530 1080p Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd530 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page