Some basic 3:2 pulldown questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You know, I thought I had a decent understanding of 3:2 pulldown, 24 fps versus 29.97 fps and so on. And now, after some experimenting with my Panasonic DMP-BD60 this morning, I feel like the protagonist in Jackson Browne's The Pretender: a happy idiot. (And yes, I am struggling for the legal tender.)

It might be best to try this a step at a time, starting with this. When I got the Panasonic 15 months ago, I set it to output 24 fps, and haven't really thought about it since. Until I decided to do some reading for pleasure in the owner's manual this morning. That's when I found out the enabling 24 fps does so only for Blu-ray. To turn it on for a regular DVD, you have to bring up an on-screen display while the DVD is playing. So I decided to give this a try and see what would happen.

First I tried it with The Concert For George (Harrison). Bad! Herky-jerky movement. Some Googling indicates this DVD is 29.97 fps, so I thought, that must be the problem, the source isn't supposed to be output at 24 fps. So then I put in one of the first DVDs I ever bought, almost 20 years ago--A Bridge Too Far. And when I forced it to 24 fps, it looked fine. Actually, I couldn't see a difference (more on that later).

So now, the first question. Why did A Bridge Too Far look OK? What I'm getting at is this: when this DVD was released, everybody was watching 4:3, 29.97 fps NTSC televisions. So, wouldn't they have done the 3:2 pulldown right on the DVD? If so, why would there ever be a reason to output a DVD at 24 fps (and again, why did ABTF look OK)? What am I not understanding here?

Thanks if you can give me a clue. And if this thread should be in a different forum, I'll be more than happy to move it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Try this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=pulldown

I'm sure there are others if you do a search.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page