AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

You have the BDT320 correct?

Actually I have a 220, so if you have a 320 that may be the difference.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've streamed 4 or 5 HD Netflix movies with my 220, and I am VERY impressed. The image quality is noticeably better than the BD65 I replaced. One thing I do miss is the "signal quality bars" on the 220.

How do I turn off the beeping sound when I click on the icons? I can't find it in the manual. Thanks.
post #363 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Settings on the last page of v-cast
post #364 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Would someone please tell me if the pop up menu works on the Harmony remote using last year's 310 model programmed? Can't get it to work on my Harmony remote.

With the 7.7 software it should automatically be the Info button = PopUpMenu and the Guide=TopMenu -- However, some TV's have the Info button set as the display button.

When doing an activity, which button is in effect?

In actuallity you just helped me find MY problem, which was the activity, Watch BlueRay (renamed since I have a DVD player too), didn't have ANYTHING assigned to the Info or Guide buttons. SO, thanks!
post #365 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I've streamed 4 or 5 HD Netflix movies with my 220, and I am VERY impressed. The image quality is noticeably better than the BD65 I replaced. One thing I do miss is the "signal quality bars" on the 220.

If available bandwidth on your connection to Netflix's servers is high enough you're probably getting the 1080p encodings for HD titles, which weren't available on your BD65.

The BD65 had a quality bar meter that you could bring up while watching a title? I believe that's pretty rare--I was only aware of the PS3 and Xbox featuring that.

post #366 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

If available bandwidth on your connection to Netflix's servers is high enough you're probably getting the 1080p encodings for HD titles, which weren't available on your BD65.

The BD65 had a quality bar meter that you could bring up while watching a title? I believe that's pretty rare--I was only aware of the PS3 and Xbox featuring that.

I assumed it was becasue it's now streaming in 1080p, very nice. Yes, as soon as you hit "play" the BD65 showed the signal quality bars.
post #367 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Yes, as soon as you hit "play" the BD65 showed the signal quality bars.

Are you saying that bars representing the current quality level would pop up if you hit the PLAY button while a title was playing? Not just at playback start (which is common)?

Quality bars at playback start-up don't make a whole lot of sense in players which implement adaptive bit rate streaming like these, since they often start with a low bit rate crappy encoding to get things rolling and seamlessly ramp up to the best quality encoding which can be played in the available bandwidth. In the PS3 and Xbox players you can hit a button which will overlay a display of current playback quality, continuously updated in realtime.

post #368 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Are you saying that bars representing the current quality level would pop up if you hit the PLAY button while a title was playing? Not just at playback start (which is common)?

Quality bars at playback start-up don't make a whole lot of sense in players which implement adaptive bit rate streaming like these, since they often start with a low bit rate crappy encoding to get things rolling and seamlessly ramp up to the best quality encoding which can be played in the available bandwidth. In the PS3 and Xbox players you can hit a button which will overlay a display of current playback quality, continuously updated in realtime.

FYI, the new Sony BDP-S390 and BDP-S590 have a display setting similar to the PS3 which show the current stream quality X-High/HD .. High/HD ... etc. Quite honestly I think Sony have just ported the PS3 Netflix app over to their bluray players.
post #369 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiwyn View Post

I don't seem to have any lag problems during actual playback. It's the menus themselves that are slow to respond. Navigating the Netflix interface is what's laggy. It can take a full second to respond just to the directional keys.

Should I chalk this up to lack of internal memory? Is this common on other players at this price point? This is my first blu-ray player, and I bought it to obviate the need for a Roku, but I'm not super impressed with it so far.

Just tested with the wife, sure enough the lag in the Netflix interface is ridiculous and unacceptable. Looks like I'll be returning this unit...

Anyone have any suggestions?
post #370 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiwyn View Post

Just tested with the wife, sure enough the lag in the Netflix interface is ridiculous and unacceptable. Looks like I'll be returning this unit...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds like the sonys above would be an excellent choice.
post #371 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

FYI, the new Sony BDP-S390 and BDP-S590 have a display setting similar to the PS3 which show the current stream quality X-High/HD .. High/HD ... etc. Quite honestly I think Sony have just ported the PS3 Netflix app over to their bluray players.

But can it bitstream Netflix DD+? That's a big weakness of the PS3 player for me (the PS3's conversion is a sad, pale shadow of the original sound; I might rather listen to the stereo tracks). Do the Sony BD players have VUDU and/or Amazon players? The unresponsiveness of the Netflix UI is unfortunate, but I can deal. Capability-wise the player in this device is the strongest I know of. I tend to spend 99% of my time in the Netflix player watching content and not tooling around the UI.

post #372 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Last time I checked sony had close to 50 streaming providers, including amazon and vudu, plus some decent ones panny is missing like crackle, daily motion and flickster.
post #373 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozer19 View Post

Does anyone's Netflix have audio lag issue? Yesterday was the first time I was watching netflix and there was a lag. If you put subtitles on, the lag is worse. Would it have to to anything with internet connection? Mine isnt that bad. 20 mbits

I am having the same problem with Netflix. Amazon,Hulu and Vudu have no audio lag. Only on Netflix.
post #374 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM

I get the netflix audio lag on a Pan. 215. Too bad it's still present on the revision.
post #375 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Last time I checked sony had close to 50 streaming providers, including amazon and vudu, plus some decent ones panny is missing like crackle, daily motion and flickster.

The 2012 Sony models haven't shipped yet but when they do I might take a look at them. If they cannot bitstream DD+ from Netflix they'll be useless for me, but that seems likely to be a limitation of the PS3--I don't think that it can bitstream DD+ from BDs.

Still looking for the perfect, full-featured Netflix+Amazon+VUDU streamer. The BDT220 still doesn't have 5.1 sound in Amazon. I haven't run into a sound sync issue with its Netflix player for the slow response of the UI is a bit annoying, though bearable.

post #376 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM

I just ordered the 220 from Amazon. I'm really hoping it's a step up from my solid, and trustworthy BD85. The 85 is hard to beat with PQ and streaming for me. But, there are no new firmware updates, no captioning ability on NF, and no 1080p on NF. So, I'm about to give the 220 a whirl. For me, the 85 is a tough act to follow. I remember paying $250 for the BD35, and $200 for the 85. The 220 is cheap. There's a lot of inflation out there, but not when it comes to BD players - at least for now anyway.

Oh, and the Sony looks tempting, but I'd miss the Viera Connect. I've got a Panny 1080p LED TV. So, no can do for me . Plus, Sony has not impressed me in recent years. Sony used to be SONY a long time ago, but I've seen that change.
post #377 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:

The 2012 Sony models haven't shipped yet but when they do I might take a look at them. If they cannot bitstream DD+ from Netflix they'll be useless for me, but that seems likely to be a limitation of the PS3--I don't think that it can bitstream DD+ from BDs.

Still looking for the perfect, full-featured Netflix+Amazon+VUDU streamer. The BDT220 still doesn't have 5.1 sound in Amazon. I haven't run into a sound sync issue with its Netflix player for the slow response of the UI is a bit annoying, though bearable.

I may very well wind up with two players.

The Pan to get the last fraction of PQ possible from BR and DVD's, and a Sony which actually accepts a usb flash drive and plays back a very wide variety of formats.

I'm willing to invest $250 total, which really isn't that bad.
post #378 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will probably be many years before I get a receiver with DD+, so it's no big deal to me. If the new sonys do 1080P and captions, I'm happy.
post #379 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

I may very well wind up with two players.

The Pan to get the last fraction of PQ possible from BR and DVD's, and a Sony which actually accepts a usb flash drive and plays back a very wide variety of formats.

I'm willing to invest $250 total, which really isn't that bad.

Why not get a real file streamer for your second box, like a WDTV? It will do a heck of a lot more than any disc player.
post #380 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM

Picked up a 220 earlier this week to replace my rapidly decaying Samsung 2550 and I've been happy with the performance so far. The only thing that doesn't really meet my expectations is the responsiveness of the Netflix interface. Is this something that could be improved upon with firmware upgrades or should I get used to it? All the other menu interactions have been relatively quick, so the Netflix issue really stands out.

I'll also chime in that I haven't experienced any Netflix audio lag issues using my wired connection.
post #381 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbs View Post

Picked up a 220 earlier this week to replace my rapidly decaying Samsung 2550 and I've been happy with the performance so far. The only thing that doesn't really meet my expectations is the responsiveness of the Netflix interface. Is this something that could be improved upon with firmware upgrades or should I get used to it? All the other menu interactions have been relatively quick, so the Netflix issue really stands out.

I'll also chime in that I haven't experienced any Netflix audio lag issues using my wired connection.

Yay! I really won't mind the delay as long as it streams well after all.
post #382 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Why not get a real file streamer for your second box, like a WDTV? It will do a heck of a lot more than any disc player.

What about appletv? It streams in 1080p now, I believe.
post #383 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

My new 220 arrived today. It is an upgrade to my three year old Panny BD-35. Of course the first thing I noticed was that the 220 is half the depth of the 35. I had no trouble connecting to my wireless network and easily downloaded and installed a firmware update. I love how much quicker this player loads, and threw a Netflix disc at it that the 35 kept choking on, and it played right through. My initial impressions are very favorable.

I have done nothing with the streaming so far. I already own a second generation Roku so can stream 1080p Netflix. I am sure I will toy with it some, but for me this is mainly a disc player. I am glad I took the leap!

"There's gotta be some way to hook it up, it's the freakin' future" - Eric Cartman
post #384 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whatever device you choose, you really need to look at the specs first. Apple TV handles an extremely limited number of file types. Not a good choice at all if you have a wide variety of files. But I have no idea what your requirements are. It sounds to me like apple would only duplicate the functionality of the panasonic, except for airplay. Seems like you'd want to get a device that does what panasonic can't do.
post #385 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But can it bitstream Netflix DD+? That's a big weakness of the PS3 player for me (the PS3's conversion is a sad, pale shadow of the original sound; I might rather listen to the stereo tracks). Do the Sony BD players have VUDU and/or Amazon players? The unresponsiveness of the Netflix UI is unfortunate, but I can deal. Capability-wise the player in this device is the strongest I know of. I tend to spend 99% of my time in the Netflix player watching content and not tooling around the UI.

Yes, the new 2012 Sony players (BDP-S590 and BDP-S390) stream netflix in Dolby Digital Plus (with subtitles and 1080p). They also include Amazon VOD (which is Dolby Digital Bitstream) and VUDU (Dolby Digital Plus).
post #386 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Two of the three Sony 2012 players are now available. I have now tried the S390 and S590. I'm keeping the S590. In my eyes it meets my requirements for a solid BD and great streamer.
post #387 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Two of the three Sony 2012 players are now available. I have now tried the S390 and S590. I'm keeping the S590. In my eyes it meets my requirements for a solid BD and great streamer.

Nice. Any details would be greatly appreciated in the sony thread.
post #388 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I've just updated my Apple TV. Unfortunately, 1080p is on the newer model coming out soon only.
post #389 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Check out my official s590 thread. I've included links on where to buy currently.

Difference between 590 and 390.

590 also offers 3d, 2nd rear USB port, and is standard width. The 590 also includes a front "display" screen, the S390 does not.
post #390 of 4205 Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
To those of you who are experiencing issues with netflix I suggest calling Panasonic support and report it. They can't fix it if they don't know there is a problem.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page