Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 4205 Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
That is true, but When TrueHD is converted to PCM in the player, the track is still lossless. Whether Panasonic folds the 2 channels into the surround channels or ignores them is unclear. It is not the lossless DD track.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4205 Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Is there any list, or official list of exactly what video formats people have working successfully from either USB or Streaming from a DLNA server?

For instance, .ISO (using virtual clone drive and something like JRiver), WKV (listing exactly what they used to succeed) etc.

I own a panasonic DMP-BDT500 and have been researching for weeks now on these topics and the information all over the net is overwhelming. So I am hoping there is an approved list somewhere for these types, or exactly how someone got a BLU RAY ISO to work on this player (or any lossless way that keeps the movie in perfect quality, and also keeps the DTS-HD Master Audio tracks in perfect condition).

Thanks!
post #3873 of 4205 Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 PM

So I read the manual again and found the formats on various pages. The strange thing is I cannot get it to read or access anything on my external hard drive. The manual says it supports FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS file systems. I have a 500GB USB 2.0 Seagate external hard drive formatted with NTFS and it just says that this device is incompatible. I then formatted with FAT32 and got the same. I then tried ExFat and that failed too.

Does anyone know how to get the 500 to read my external hard drive, or exactly what model you are using that seems to work just fine and is at least 1-2TB or more?

Thanks!
post #3874 of 4205 Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro2be View Post

Does anyone know how to get the 500 to read my external hard drive, or exactly what model you are using that seems to work just fine and is at least 1-2TB or more?

You're not trying to power the drive with the BDP's USB port are you?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3875 of 4205 Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You're not trying to power the drive with the BDP's USB port are you?

Nope, I have the power supply plugged into the wall. It's a Seagate Freeagent Xtreme 500GB drive. Works on every computer I test it on so I know it's working.

Thanks! Any more possible ideas please? All I am doing is a regular windows NTFS format on it right now. Does this drive need any special driver files on it for the player to recognize it? Because at this point it's just a wiped out 500GB hard drive.

It has a 200MB EFI partition, and the rest is formatted in NTFS.

**I also noticed it's a GPT volume, I wonder if it only works with MBR since it can't work with drives above 2GB it says in the manual**

Going to reformat and setup the drive. Would be curious how others have their drives setup.

Thanks!
post #3876 of 4205 Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Well I got everything working now. Deleted all partitions again and formatted with NTFS and it worked this time. The problem I see with this is that it only says up to 2TB drive and well, that is pretty small for storing movies and music etc. I see that as a big problem.

At this point, the only thing that I still haven't gotten to work is playing MKV files over the network using Media Player as my DLNA server, or using JRIVER. The player sees all the movies when I start the DLNA client, I can browse through the folders of both Servers and can see all the movies etc. But when I pick a movie, no matter how small (I did a 5 minute compressed clip of a Blu Ray movie into MKV) it just simply says, "Cannot play".

Any ideas how to get this thing to play MKV's over the network successfully?

Thanks!
post #3877 of 4205 Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use PS3 Media Server (free to download), with probably a 98% success rate, with everything from small files, to large 10-12 gig ones.

I uncheck all transcoding options in the PS3MS setup, so the PC CPU barely idles when streaming.
post #3878 of 4205 Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I recently got the DMP-BDT320, and it has been a good experience except for one issue I am having.

When playing DVDs with dolby digital 5.1 running, the volume goes up and down at certain parts of the movie. I am certain its coming from the BD player, since its the only thing I have added since swapping out my PS3 as a player (which did not have the problem). I have tried enabling and disabling every audio setting in the player options menu but nothing (short of disabling Bitstream and setting to PCM, which kills the dolby digital) will alleviate the issue.

I have it connected to my old Sony STR-K840P AVR which I was using previously with the PS3 without the issue, and the audio is output from the BD player with an optical audio cable. Video is output with HDMI cable to my Panasonic G10 plasma.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #3879 of 4205 Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

I recently got the DMP-BDT320, and it has been a good experience except for one issue I am having.

When playing DVDs with dolby digital 5.1 running, the volume goes up and down at certain parts of the movie. I am certain its coming from the BD player, since its the only thing I have added since swapping out my PS3 as a player (which did not have the problem). I have tried enabling and disabling every audio setting in the player options menu but nothing (short of disabling Bitstream and setting to PCM, which kills the dolby digital) will alleviate the issue.

I have it connected to my old Sony STR-K840P AVR which I was using previously with the PS3 without the issue, and the audio is output from the BD player with an optical audio cable. Video is output with HDMI cable to my Panasonic G10 plasma.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure any audio dynamic range compression settings (like Night Listening modes) are set to OFF in both the player and the receiver.

Also, get yourself a newer receiver when you have a chance. You're missing out on the lossless audio tracks included with Blu-ray.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3880 of 4205 Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 14
hey guys, need quick advice - repeated post in the elite thread, but wanting panny fans opinions - how does this compare to bdp-62fd? need to decide on these two fast since bb inventory for the elite is low...any help appreciated
post #3881 of 4205 Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Make sure any audio dynamic range compression settings (like Night Listening modes) are set to OFF in both the player and the receiver.

Also, get yourself a newer receiver when you have a chance. You're missing out on the lossless audio tracks included with Blu-ray.

Hey thanks, Dan. It was the D-Range setting on my AVR. I had already disabled it on my DMP-BDT320, but didn't think to try the setting for it on the AVR because it didn't seem to be an issue when I had my PS3 connected. Perhaps, D-Range didn't work for the PS3?

Anyways thanks again, set to off and sounds great.

As for getting a new AVR, well yes I know this Sony is really old and lacking of new lossless playback features, but it still works fine and Dolby Digital 5.1 still sounds good enough for me. I think I will get some more use out of it as long as its still kickin'. In this economy being budget minded means not replacing equipment that's in good working order just because some new features say we should. I am still happy with it.smile.gif

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #3882 of 4205 Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Hey thanks, Dan. It was the D-Range setting on my AVR. I had already disabled it on my DMP-BDT320, but didn't think to try the setting for it on the AVR because it didn't seem to be an issue when I had my PS3 connected. Perhaps, D-Range didn't work for the PS3?

Anyways thanks again, set to off and sounds great.

As for getting a new AVR, well yes I know this Sony is really old and lacking of new lossless playback features, but it still works fine and Dolby Digital 5.1 still sounds good enough for me. I think I will get some more use out of it as long as its still kickin'. In this economy being budget minded means not replacing equipment that's in good working order just because some new features say we should. I am still happy with it.smile.gif

Just don't wait too long! biggrin.gif I went from an old DTS/Dolby lossy processor (from the Laserdisc era) to one that decoded DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD and the difference was noticeable. Plus, you get 7.1 discrete audio tracks on a lot more Blu-ray discs these days. There's a 5.1 (7.1 with a pre-amp output) Pioneer receiver for only $223 on Amazon on clearance. Not too bad for a tide-me-over until UHD media gets locked down (and a new audio standard in the vein of Dolby Atmos is released).

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3883 of 4205 Old 09-02-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post

hey guys, need quick advice - repeated post in the elite thread, but wanting panny fans opinions - how does this compare to bdp-62fd? need to decide on these two fast since bb inventory for the elite is low...any help appreciated

Which Panny are you talking about? PQ should be a wash. AQ, the Pio gets the nod, unless you're comparing it to the Panny 500. Build quality, the Pio should be better than any Panny. OTOH, Pioneer has had much worse financial problems than Panasonic recently. Maybe it's affected their Elite players.
post #3884 of 4205 Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Liked: 46
What settings do you guys use for 3D BD playback?

I was playing around with a few 3D BD discs the other day.. we have 4 pairs of glasses which have not been touched since last Christmas lol. Anyways I demo'd Toy Story and Wrath of the Titans and was actually pretty impressed with the effects.

I use Black Ops 3D settings for the TV (GT50) but on the BDT220's menu this is what I'm curious how others have theirs set up. I have my menu set to "USER" and have everything pretty much default (neutral) except for:

• 3D NR OFF
  • Super Resolution 2 - I set this when I first got my BD player b/c I found the picture on DVD playback was very soft on my GT50. This super resolution actually helped define the image. I understand the setting does not apply to BD/HD playback.
  • 24p ON
  • Pop Out Level 4 - Before I increased pop out level I found the 3D images were only showing depth perception within the TV (behind the screen). Once I set this to the max (4) NOW suddenly the images seems to come out of the screen. I personally feel this is a must for 3D playback.

I'm not in front of my equipment right now a am doing this from memory, but I think these are the only settings I've touched. Any of the chroma or video settings I've left alone or neutral.

So how do other people have their BD players setup for 3D playback???
post #3885 of 4205 Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro2be View Post

Well I got everything working now. Deleted all partitions again and formatted with NTFS and it worked this time. The problem I see with this is that it only says up to 2TB drive and well, that is pretty small for storing movies and music etc. I see that as a big problem.

At this point, the only thing that I still haven't gotten to work is playing MKV files over the network using Media Player as my DLNA server, or using JRIVER. The player sees all the movies when I start the DLNA client, I can browse through the folders of both Servers and can see all the movies etc. But when I pick a movie, no matter how small (I did a 5 minute compressed clip of a Blu Ray movie into MKV) it just simply says, "Cannot play".

Any ideas how to get this thing to play MKV's over the network successfully?

Thanks!

Hi Maestro2be,

I've been playing a bit with different MKV lately because on some it just shutter like a hell. First of all I will introduce my self as this is my first post. I love to listen lossless sound as much as possible and I am fanatic about quality of it since I got myself Denon AVR-2113 and Bluray Player Panasonic BDT-120. After digging around with Handbrake and options I found that BDT-120 will play only 1920x1080p24 with H.264 Main Profile @ Level 3.0. Anything above and it will shutter. 1280x720 can play Main profile @ 4.0 (didn't tried higher level). This is playing via Network Share, no idea if streaming has similar issue.

With Denon 2113 and BDT-120, I got best possible A+V set-up ripping my all blurays and converting them to MKV with these options:

Movie: Battleship (great sound 5.1 DTS HD MA lossless)
Sound: Convert into FLAC as AVR will not accept DTS HD MA (or TrueHD for that matter) via MKV (it will run on BD but not MKV) and you will see 5.1 PCM on AVR info (still 5.1 and lossless)
Video: H.264 Main Profile @ Level 3.0 any resolution (keep 1080p24)

Why I am converting to MKV and not MP4? MKV can contain FLAC and as many people found it will compress very nicely, better than any of DTS or DD counterparts and is LOSSLESS.

Hope this will help someone. It took a fair amount of F***ks down the pipe to find out all about this ;-))))

PS. Does anyone saw max h.264 profile info in specs or manual because I couldn't find any...

Regards

PS. All those options are from Handbrake. It may be possible to re-encode h.264 High Profile @ L4.1 to h.264 Main Profile @ L3.0 and just keep DTS HD pass-trough option, but somehow BDT-120 cannot send it via HDMI bitstreaming to decode in AVR 2113 (even if that one CAN decode TrueHD and DTS HD), so you have to change output to PCM on BD (5.1 max). It says unknown audio and keep quiet. So I found that FLAC was the best possible solution for full lossless on BDT-120 and MKV container...
In the end you have a choice: convert to DTS or AC3 lossy or use FLAC via PCM but 5.1 max. (nearly all of my movies are 5.1) and let the BD decode that. Good thing is that FLAC is converted automatically into PCM via BD and streamed to AVR, so you can leave all options on streaming via HDMI.

I've forgot one thing FLAC will cut from 24bits audio to 16bit, so there is space saving, and I sure most of the time you will not be able to distinguish between them two...
Have fun.
post #3886 of 4205 Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 PM

I tried doing this. It didn't work. It shows my connection to my wireless router, but it says gateway connection failed and internet connection failed. I changed all of the settings like you suggested and it didn't work. I'm frustrated because it was working fine and then the next time I went to use the internet, it said it couldn't connect and to check the network settings. First trouble I've had with this player.
post #3887 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 AM

So I've been looking for a good Multi Zone Blu-ray player. I just found this store in the UK which sells the Panasonic BDT-500
with a multi zone firmware hack for £349 >>>
http://www.tps.uk.com/tps/home.html?product_id=1434&product_group_id=221&choice_id=178&tab_id=52&page_name=product

What do you think?
post #3888 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antivirus View Post

I think they are selling the same thing on ebay with a 3 year warranty included...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT500-3D-Wi-Fi-All-Zone-Multi-Region-Code-Free-Blu-Ray-DVD-Player-/111056025049

That's a little confusing. Why is there a check box below the price which says " SquareTrade 3 yr warranty £49.99" ?
In the description it says "Free 3 Year Warranty Included".
post #3889 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Which Panny are you talking about? PQ should be a wash. AQ, the Pio gets the nod, unless you're comparing it to the Panny 500. Build quality, the Pio should be better than any Panny. OTOH, Pioneer has had much worse financial problems than Panasonic recently. Maybe it's affected their Elite players.

Thanks for the response. It is DMP-BDT500 that I am comparing to the 62fd...

primarily i was thinking about load time, PQ for BR and for DVD (scaling). Audio wise, I wasn't going to be overly concerned with since I dont have any SACDs at all...But it sounds likes for what i am interested in, one doesnt provide any better than the other.

Are there other notable attributes I should be considering?

Rest of my system is: denon 3312ci, panny 55 gt50

The one thing the DMP-BDT500 has over the 62fd is amazon instant, which is the only streaming service I currently subscribe.
post #3890 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

May I ask why you are looking at players with dual HDMI? Your Denon will handle both 3D and lossless audio.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3891 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

May I ask why you are looking at players with dual HDMI? Your Denon will handle both 3D and lossless audio.

S~

Is this question for me? I basically need another Blu-ray player to replace my sony so we can move the sony upstairs...I wanted to get great PQ for good price, without paying for an OPPO.

with regard to 3D, the denon will just pass through the 3d signal, so im not sure what you are asking about there.

For lossless, im not familiar with this topic so I have no answer...
post #3892 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

It is. I'm asking because you don't need dual HDMI for your setup. A Sony 5100 (which will also give 5.1 audio with Amazon whereas the Panasonics won't) or a Pansonic X20 or X30 series will work well in your setup. Lossless audio is Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. One of my systems is similar to yours Panasonic VT25, Panasonic BDT320, and a Denon 2311. Works like a champ.

S~

post #3893 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 PM

ah, i see what you are referring to now. Yes, the denon does do dual hdmi out and the dolby/dts formats you are talking about. I thought perhaps you were referring to FLAC audio or SACD...

In any case, it wasnt those specific features, which got me thinking about the panasonic or the pioneer elite.

I got intrigued by the pioneer elite price and having the same video proc as the Oppo so great video/pic quality. and then the panny was supposed to rival it...

So you are saying the Sony 5100 will be as great video qual?
post #3894 of 4205 Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

With BD playback, PQ is pretty much a wash with most players. DVD scaling is another story. Panasonic does scale DVDs extremely well. I have the S790, no 5100, and it scales well, also.

S~

post #3895 of 4205 Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 13
I recently purchased the BDT500 after doing a lot of research on different models. So far, I am pleased. However, I have a question concerning the Audio inputs. To gain the benefit of the DAC, I have always run analog out when listening to CD's, and I currently run 2 channel stereo for this. on the 500, should I be connecting to the Analog Audio outputs that are specified for the TV inputs, or to the Front jacks of the 6.1 system? My receiver also has the 6.1 jacks , but I usually connect to the CD analog inputs . I am wondering if this will effect the sub if connected to the 6.1 jacks. I currently have it hooked up to the 2 channel audio jacks, and to the same on the receiver. The sound is ok, but I am still not hearing everything. My other player has a wolfson DAC and is more robust. Hopeful someone can make some sense out of this. Thanks for any assistance.
post #3896 of 4205 Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Hi all. Joining this thread late. I did a search and didn't find anything for my question.

Is there a setting I need to tweak so that CDs will play automatically when you load them (like DVDs and Blu-rays already do)? I couldn't find anything in the various settings menus. Or am I stuck with how it works now? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have the DMP-BDT220.

Joseph
post #3897 of 4205 Old 09-06-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealfan View Post

Hi all. Joining this thread late. I did a search and didn't find anything for my question.

Is there a setting I need to tweak so that CDs will play automatically when you load them (like DVDs and Blu-rays already do)? I couldn't find anything in the various settings menus. Or am I stuck with how it works now? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have the DMP-BDT220.

Press the play button when you load it instead of the eject button. That works on the 500 anyway.
post #3898 of 4205 Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone messed around with the 3D settings enough to give a 3D newbie some settings advice? I just got a 3D TV yesterday and don't really know what settings to change, or even what does what. I guess I need some help and advice.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #3899 of 4205 Old 09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Has anyone messed around with the 3D settings enough to give a 3D newbie some settings advice? I just got a 3D TV yesterday and don't really know what settings to change, or even what does what. I guess I need some help and advice.

Leaving EVERYTHING ALONE is the BEST SETTINGS.

Analog is Yesterday's Technology
post #3900 of 4205 Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Really? So by default things are set for optimal 3D performance? I'm just trying to maximize the experience.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page