Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

Thanks!
No I have not... Eh...IDK if I am that talented to do something like that...
What would you clean the laser lens with? Are there any cleaning kits for BD players that come with a disc and spray solution? I'd rather try something like that before opening stuff up..

I generally open the player.
This is how I resurrected my DMP-BD55 (from the Panasonic DNP-BD55 thread in this forum):
"I took the player cover off and opened the sealed internal drive assembly (4 screws on top and gently release tab in rear and lift top cover off). I cleaned the laser lens assembly (both lasers) with a q-tip using denatured alcohol and removed a bunch of stuff/crud from inside the drive unit (dust/dirt balls on the rails the laser assembly rides on towards the end of the rails, hair, etc.). I was careful not to disturb or contaminate the lubricating grease on the rails. I also cleaned the small round platter the center of the disc rides on (there was crud all over the rubberized portion of it). Put it back together and been using it since. So far, so good."
As an added comment, make sure the rails inside the drive that the laser assembly rides on are lubricated (I use a white lithium type grease - small squeeze tube). If they have clean looking grease on them, then probably no need to mess with it.

I also found a repair manual for the BD65 on-line - it looks to me like disassembly would be handled similar to the 55. Unfortunately the forum won't let me upload it (too big, maybe). Check here for it.

http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_dmp-bd45_bd65_sm.pdf/download.html

look for "This file is downloadable free of charge: Get Manual" printed below the image of the manual front page.

This may be more than you care to mess with - but it really isn't all that difficult, as long as you take your time and are careful.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmavrou View Post
hi there!
i wanted to ask if there is anyway to run youtube html5 app on bdt 220 and not the flash app that is installed?
Thanks in advance
No, there isn't.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WiFi antenna

Has anybody tried messing with BDT220's WiFi antenna? Such as:
  1. attaching a 5Ghz USB dongle--might require massive SW hacking, which is most likely impossible due to the closed nature of the BDT220's OS;
  2. attaching an external rubber duck antenna via some minor HW hacking/soldering.
My feeling is that better WiFi reception would greatly improve BDT220's DLNA overall performance.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM

I just got a BDT 500 (as a step to an Oppo eventually) for cheap. My AVR is currently in the repair shop so I thought I'd use the pre outs of the BDT 500 for now. I using the BDT 500 going into Panny plasma over HDMI and all the BDT 500 pre outs going into respective amps. Problem: I can't control the volume (I can but it doesn't do anything), it just stays at a somewhat loud level. Can the BDT 500 not be used the way I'm trying to? The weird thing is I've tried to get it to work a couple of times and one time it actually did but when I took the BD out and put it back in it was back to not being controllable.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Liked: 0
Panasonic bd t 500 re USB sick capacity useable

Hi everybody, bought the Panny BD 500T from Richer, about 4 months ago, and is great for the money, ( £179 ) it was end of line. As it has a USB input, we thought it might be a plan to archive some of our older movies to USB sticks, we tried 2 movies on a 4gb stick, and they worked perfectly, so bought a 32 gb stick, put 16 on, then gave it a try, the films won't play, the listings and titles load and show on the screen, but when clicked on, get a message saying this item cannot be played, question is, does this machine have a maximum capacity of USB stick it can handle, if not what's the issue.

Plug the stick into a laptop, with a hdmi output and connect to tv, the movies all play perfectly !!! all encoded Mpeg4 as were the 2 on the smaller stick that played fine.

Many thanks for any replies in advance.

Cheers Chris
Old 07-27-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My 2.5 year old BDT220 is flickering.

When I plug in the HDMI in the same input of my AVR to my laptop, the image is rock solid.

Anyone ever get these repaired?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
My 2.5 year old BDT220 is flickering.

When I plug in the HDMI in the same input of my AVR to my laptop, the image is rock solid.

Anyone ever get these repaired?

It still could be the HDMI. Did you try a different cable?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm going to try different cables and inputs.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 AM

DMP-BDT220 Netflix interface painfully slow

I completed a home hardwired Ethernet connection project recently. One of several project motivations for toiling in a hot Texas attic to pull Cat5e cable was the inconsistent bitrate of Netflix over WiFi on my BDT220 which caused occasional dropback to SD resolutions, and on some even rarer occasions (when there was a lot of WiFi traffic in the house), movies pausing for buffering. Also, the Netflix interface was really slow (navigating titles, rendering movie thumbnails, text entry for Search function), making me think the via-WiFi data feed was slow, leading to slow interface refreshes.

The good result: Via wired connection, the movie stream is really solid. 4Mpbs+, full 1080p delivery, etc when I used Netflix's "Example Short" video, which gives bitrate, resolution, and aspect ratio information in real time (check it out if you haven't already! Search for "Example Short" in the movie title Search).

The disappointing result: The Netflix interface laggyness, slow scroll, thumbnail rendering, etc is not in any way improved. (In fact, it seems to be slower!). What I've already done:
- checked for firmware update. None available.
- checked network settings on the player. set to wired (presumably the WiFi is now OFF and not interacting in any way with the wireless AP)
- unplugged the BDT220 and let it set for a few seconds (in case this helps with some kind of hardware reset)

I realize the Netflix interface is an App running on the BDT220's processors. But I read many positive reviews of this player before I bought it in 2012, and don't remember anybody mentioning (at the time) "Netflix interface is PAINFULLY SLOW" or anything similar. I believe there is something wrong here... it is SO slow (and has been since Day 1, but remember I blamed that on the WiFi connection) that I'll bet Panasonic would not have let the App out the door of the factory with it being THIS slow (Not trying to elicit rants here! That won't help solve the problem at-hand).

Does anybody have any ideas for how to do a speed-up of the Netflix interface? Or anything else I can check out? Thanks in advance...
Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketwils View Post
I realize the Netflix interface is an App running on the BDT220's processors. But I read many positive reviews of this player before I bought it in 2012, and don't remember anybody mentioning (at the time) "Netflix interface is PAINFULLY SLOW" or anything similar. I believe there is something wrong here... it is SO slow (and has been since Day 1, but remember I blamed that on the WiFi connection) that I'll bet Panasonic would not have let the App out the door of the factory with it being THIS slow (Not trying to elicit rants here! That won't help solve the problem at-hand).

Does anybody have any ideas for how to do a speed-up of the Netflix interface? Or anything else I can check out? Thanks in advance...

There's no speeding it up. Yes, the interface is just that laggy. It's so laggy that I have difficulty navigating the episode list of a TV series (which is even slower than the rest of the UI), because I keep overshooting what I'm trying to get to.

Don't blame Panasonic--this is what they got from Netflix. One thing which makes it slow is that it's built on a port of Webkit to the platform; the UI itself is written in web authoring languages, JavaScript, HTML5, etc, downloaded every time you start it up. The advantage of this is that Netflix can make fixes and major functional changes to the UI without updating the resident portion of the code, something which requires a system firmware update on many platforms, which is done by the OEM and completely out of Netflix's control. They can change the interface as easily as they change their web sites. I have 5 or 6 devices with that interface (some now have the new common UI) and on the day that they announced Profiles, the feature appeared on all of them without any resident firmware updates.

The disadvantage of the approach is that it really needs a fairly fast processor to run smoothly. It ran great on PS3 and my TiVo Roamio (which had that UI for a few months before moving to the new one), but slow to various degrees on my other devices which have it, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Sony BDP-S390 and WD TV Live (slowest by far on the BDT220). The BDT220's one advantage is that it can output Netflix and its other network VOD players in 24p to devices which can accept that framerate.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
There's no speeding it up. Yes, the interface is just that laggy. It's so laggy that I have difficulty navigating the episode list of a TV series (which is even slower than the rest of the UI), because I keep overshooting what I'm trying to get to.

Don't blame Panasonic--this is what they got from Netflix. One thing which makes it slow is that it's built on a port of Webkit to the platform; the UI itself is written in web authoring languages, JavaScript, HTML5, etc, downloaded every time you start it up. The advantage of this is that Netflix can make fixes and major functional changes to the UI without updating the resident portion of the code, something which requires a system firmware update on many platforms, which is done by the OEM and completely out of Netflix's control. They can change the interface as easily as they change their web sites. I have 5 or 6 devices with that interface (some now have the new common UI) and on the day that they announced Profiles, the feature appeared on all of them without any resident firmware updates.

The disadvantage of the approach is that it really needs a fairly fast processor to run smoothly. It ran great on PS3 and my TiVo Roamio (which had that UI for a few months before moving to the new one), but slow to various degrees on my other devices which have it, Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Sony BDP-S390 and WD TV Live (slowest by far on the BDT220). The BDT220's one advantage is that it can output Netflix and its other network VOD players in 24p to devices which can accept that framerate.
Thanks Mike. That is helpful insight.

I did get some relief I wanted to report on, in case anyone else reads this exchange. I sorta figured there was some junk code and settings sitting in the system that a reset might help clear up. The unplug/re-plug routine I tried earlier did nothing. But what did help was I navigated in the BDT220's menus to Restore Factory Settings/Default. After doing that, the interface speed improved GREATLY, from INTOLERABLE to WORKABLE BUT STILL QUITE LAGGY. Ya might give it a try to see if it produces some benefit in your TV series episode list.

I also contacted Panasonic support, who suggested a RESET of the device. I tried that, and went through the Setup sequence again. It did not actually produce any additional gain, but I'm all for occasionally flushing out all the junk and starting over. It's probably similar either way: Restore Factory Settings, or RESET. Here's the RESET procedure:

"1) While the unit is off, press and hold [OK], [B] and [Y] on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. "00 RET" is displayed on the unit's display. 2) Repeatedly press the [RIGHT] arrow button on the remote control until "08 FIN" is displayed on the unit's display. 3) Press and hold [OK] on the remote control for at least 3 seconds.
Then do setup, then try Netflix again."
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 515
I'm happy that restoring factory settings helped.

I have a ton of devices connected to the same TV and AVR which can stream Netflix (TiVo Roamio, Roku 3, WD TV Live, BDT220, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One and this PC). I generally tend to use the TiVo, since it is responsive and features this stream info overlay that I like a lot. Temporarily I'm mostly using the Roku 3, since I can set it to 720p output and use nothing higher than the 3000 Kbps 720p video encodes; I have a 300 GB monthly cap from my cable provider and I've exceeded it during the summer television hiatus in the past. Even setting the TiVo output to 720p won't stop it from accessing the 5800 Kbps Netflix "Super HD" video encodes.

The only time I run Netflix on the BDT220 is to check something out for people in online discussions .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 PM

Firmware Update

I'm curious if there are people out there that have updated their DMP-BDT 500 to the latest firmware. I thought I had read months ago that a firmware update at that time was messing up some units. Everything seems to be working ok other than the sluggish system in general. I would like to hear what the opinions are on the latest updates and if it's a good idea or not.

Thank you
Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Liked: 12
BDT220 has problem reading CDs

I recently purchased a "like-new" used BDT 220 from Amazon. It plays DVDs and Blu-ray discs without problems. However, it rarely reads a CD without hanging. I frequently have to re-open and close the disc tray, sometimes several times. Once it eventually starts playing the CD, the sound quality is fine.

Is this a not-uncommon idiosyncrasy of the 220, or have I stumbled on the reason it was for sale as a used player? Any suggestions for improving its read performance?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksonts View Post
I recently purchased a "like-new" used BDT 220 from Amazon. It plays DVDs and Blu-ray discs without problems. However, it rarely reads a CD without hanging. I frequently have to re-open and close the disc tray, sometimes several times. Once it eventually starts playing the CD, the sound quality is fine.

Is this a not-uncommon idiosyncrasy of the 220, or have I stumbled on the reason it was for sale as a used player? Any suggestions for improving its read performance?
More than likely the laser head being used for CD reading is either going out or dirty.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
More than likely the laser head being used for CD reading is either going out or dirty.
My 500 has never been able to play CD's.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com