Forum Jump: 

post #4261 of 4282 Old 11-30-2014, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioniS View Post
No problem, my configuration right now is: ...
Don't be scared to ask, I was and it cost me months of upgrading/degrading eventually. I could avoid this just by ask right questions. Never mind: the learning curve was well worth it ;-)... and I build myself NAS as well from parts left over and THIS was WELL worth it!!!
Regards
Hi just to thank you sincerely for the very valuable advice
As i said i am a little sad because this Panasonic has indeed a great audio and video
The streaming from Netflix looks really splendid and the sound is also very very good
Much better than with my pc honestly
With a more user friendly menu it could be a real winner, leagues ahead of even a good media player
Maybe i should try both, what you recommend and to study better the player
Or try another one from Sony or Samsung maybe ?
Thanks again, bernardo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4282 Old 11-30-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A bit of a long shot, and not one based on personal experience, but you might have better luck using a DNLA server on the NAS if it has one (Synology has their Video Player one, for example) and browsing for the DNLA server instead?

When I was streaming from my PC to the Pana, I had the same "cannot play video" issue, but I installed PS3MS (ps3 media server) on the PC and it seemed to work OK when I used the pana to navigate there instead of just file-playing (some files still wouldnt play, and some TV shows had voice sync issues, but 90% were fine).

I've since moved from storing media on a PC to a NAS and using multiple WDTV's around the house. This setup works well.
post #4263 of 4282 Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
A bit of a long shot, and not one based on personal experience, but you might have better luck using a DNLA server on the NAS if it has one (Synology has their Video Player one, for example) and browsing for the DNLA server instead?

When I was streaming from my PC to the Pana, I had the same "cannot play video" issue, but I installed PS3MS (ps3 media server) on the PC and it seemed to work OK when I used the pana to navigate there instead of just file-playing (some files still wouldnt play, and some TV shows had voice sync issues, but 90% were fine).

I've since moved from storing media on a PC to a NAS and using multiple WDTV's around the house. This setup works well.
I had the same "video cannot play" due to access credentials on my BMP120. There is option somewhere (network?) to add device to read from (up to 5 devices or something). Soon as I added IP of my NAS it was not a problem anymore, but still had problems with subtitles in mkvs (just couldn't read it from external files, no matter what).

DLNA is very annoying in long term usage (too many profiles and every manufacturer has its own implementation of "standards"), but this is just my opinion, also it require CPU power to transcode (sometimes a lot, especially if you running it on many devices), so if you after "green" media player this is not very green (it will re encode the same movie every time you are watching it). Best setup I've found so far is (if you want to incorporate NAS) just run SMB (windows share) and read it from there (many devices will allow to do it) but you have to bear in mind things like passwords and accounts, or like me just build Media player based on x86 and slap few 1tb/2tb 2.5 hdds (they are getting cheap) running great OpenELEC system (it boots from cold stone to full operational in 20 secs or 1.5 sec if you using sleep mode)

Some people say that AMD GFX cards have "better" picture, but... if you are compressing from BD (25GB) to 2.5-5GB mkv file, then I don't think you will find many differences anyway.

It's all to do with WHAT you want from device and NOT what you will get from them. I want HD sound via HDMI and fully operational system where I can stream what I want where I want, so this OpenELEC was my answer for this call. To watch mkv/avi/mpg this setup was PERFECT, but it can do so much more than just that.

The only hiccup is Netflix player, OE is free so people doing it in spare time (it is better than many FULL TIME written programs anyway) and things like Netflix or Amazon prime are proprietary software and they don't want to share it for free, so OE needs to do reverse engineering if they can if not... tough luck. BUT, they are things around it so you can always find satisfying solution. My way out was that I have a Virgin Media and it has Netflix player on it, so... it was all I ever need it. All my sharing, playing, streaming from phones, watching pics is done in OE, Netflix runs on Virgin Media, simple. ...and it doesn't affect my broadband bandwidth as I "don't" use it via my router but via VM player directly. It's like watching Virgin on demand, no slowdowns/penalties for heavy using my broadband hehehe...

As for great audio/video from Panasonic: audio is just DTS HD/TrueHD bitstream to my Audio Video Receiver and from there is divides on 7.1 speaker set, video is still great as NVidia/AMD know their stuff. You will not see difference with Pana if you set up the same parameters. In case you want to watch 4k movie... This is a totally different story, as for 2014/15 only way to get it cheap is x86 system... and there are no 4k BD player as far as I know... but I can flip a switch on OpenELEC and if my GFX card and TV allow me I will get 4K without much fuss... Beat that ;-)

...last thing... Synology, synology... It cost a 4x amount of money I wanted to spend and it cannot do half as much as I can do on my NAS4Free system. All I ever need from my NAS is resilience and data safety... I will say: ZFS RaidZ2 (6x HDD) and 32GB ECC memory... How much you will have to pay to get that from Synology? OK, for most of people it will be great, but for those who lost valued pictures just sitting on hard drive after few years... and I didn't know until I had a look there... thanks, but no thanks! ;-)

Last edited by OrioniS; 12-01-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: adding bits
post #4264 of 4282 Old 12-01-2014, 05:58 AM

Hi and thanks so much for disclosing your very interesting findings
I have a Synology actually but because i am completely ignorant on PCs and it is quite user friendly i think
To assemble a NAS needs expertise and knowledge
Maybe in the future ... but i have little spare time now
Thanks again. Kindest regards, bernardo
post #4265 of 4282 Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 AM

Your welcome,

I was a noob at those things 2 years ago, now... you just know a thing or two... plus you will understand that apart of Windows there is Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and many more... It got me so much that I'm going to university studying IT from Jan...

I just love those little things ;-)

Actually... NAS4Free is not difficult to set up, there are great tutorials and a hardware? Can you build normal PC? Then you don't have any problem. It just depend what you have/want/like...

Last edited by OrioniS; 12-01-2014 at 07:03 AM.
post #4266 of 4282 Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 AM

You could try the synology video app, just install it on the nas and see how you go in the pana. When I was using ps3ms, no transcoding was needed, as the pana recognises all had audio and video, but yeah a few didn't work that well.

If it's all too hard, I'm also running a synology ds413j, with 4 wdtv lives around the house. No issues streaming anything from 35gig had dvd rips to 70mb cartoons. If you want Netflix, wd has dropped Netflix support in their latest hardware iteration, so possibly another media player that still runs it might suit?
post #4267 of 4282 Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdavep View Post
You could try the synology video app, just install it on the nas and see how you go in the pana. When I was using ps3ms, no transcoding was needed, as the pana recognises all had audio and video, but yeah a few didn't work that well.
If it's all too hard, I'm also running a synology ds413j, with 4 wdtv lives around the house. No issues streaming anything from 35gig had dvd rips to 70mb cartoons.
Hi and thanks again for the kind advice
When i use the DNLA in the menu i have problem with some extensions like .mkv but avi work ok
This is strange to me because i can understand if i would not see the NAS but i see it. Just i cannot playback some kind of files.
I will try to do something and report any success ... i have found some directions in the SYnology forum

Quote:
If you want Netflix, wd has dropped Netflix support in their latest hardware iteration, so possibly another media player that still runs it might suit?
actually Netflix is working just fine. No issues at all. And i like very much the resulting video and audio. Very very good.
The nice think of these players is also that they consume very little electric power.
I have to check also for possible FW updates and study better the settings menu.
In the weekend i will try again
Thanks a lot.
Regards, bernardo
post #4268 of 4282 Old 12-01-2014, 03:09 PM

I'd just pick up a WDTV Live (or similar) then and run both the BD player and the media player. Its an extra box, but at least you'll be able to stream files straight off the NAS hassle-free and get on with watching content, instead of pulling your hair out. The good thing about the WDTV's is that they will bitstream HD audio to your receiver (if running one), so you'll get excellent video and audio quality when possible.
post #4269 of 4282 Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 PM

Liked: 14
That's exactly what I did(WDTV). I gave up on using DNLA from my PC's video folder to my 320. Forget quality sound. One day it would work the next not so much...
post #4270 of 4282 Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I've been very happy with the BDT 500, which I've had for about ten months. The video and audio quality has been superb, and I've had no problem streaming Amazon prime and YouTube. One of a few things missing from this player is the lack of a web browser. Panasonic, and or Amazon added a new function via firmware update... adding the ability to add videoss onto the Amazon Watchlist from one's PC, which was not originally possible out-of-the-box. So adding a web browser is possible, But whether Panasonic will do it is another story.

My goal is to be able to stream some content from the CBS website, which would be simple if the player had a browser. Looking for a workaround, I realize that it is possible to use DLNA to stream content stored on one's PC to the player, but is it possible to stream content that is being streamed to the PC?
post #4271 of 4282 Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Panasonic, and or Amazon added a new function via firmware update... adding the ability to add videoss onto the Amazon Watchlist from one's PC, which was not originally possible out-of-the-box. So adding a web browser is possible, But whether Panasonic will do it is another story.

They added that change to the Amazon player to my BDT220 (besides Wishlist support it also adds Dolby 5.1 sound) which was unprecedented inasmuch as it happened at the end of 2013, some 20-21 months after product launch (BDT220, BDT320 and BDT500 were all 2012 products). At that point in most CE products' lives you might get an emergency bug fix but nearly never new features, which come with a risk of new serious bugs. I had not thought of the fact that the BDT500 was held over into the 2013 model year, which may have been a factor.

That new player is a version of the UI as it appears on my TiVo Roamio, Playstation 3 and smart TV app (this) with a couple of the tiles having just text and no cover graphics.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 12-03-2014 at 01:01 AM.
post #4272 of 4282 Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
I've been very happy with the BDT 500, which I've had for about ten months. The video and audio quality has been superb, and I've had no problem streaming Amazon prime and YouTube. One of a few things missing from this player is the lack of a web browser. Panasonic, and or Amazon added a new function via firmware update... adding the ability to add videos onto the Amazon Watchlist from one's PC, which was not originally possible out-of-the-box. So adding a web browser is possible, But whether Panasonic will do it is another story.

My goal is to be able to stream some content from the CBS website, which would be simple if the player had a browser.
The web browsers on other players suck, and none can stream video anyway. So you'll never be able to do that with a BD player.

Quote:
Looking for a workaround, I realize that it is possible to use DLNA to stream content stored on one's PC to the player, but is it possible to stream content that is being streamed to the PC?
Possibly Chromecast + CastBuddy, Miracast, Serviio with some plug-ins and scripting, or Plex. And likely Roku in the very near future. Panny players have very limited DLNA capability. As your list of streaming content grows, your Panny won't cut it.

Easiest option is to simply plug your PC into your TV like I do. You can control it with a smartphone app, IR remote or wireless keyboard/mouse.
post #4273 of 4282 Old 12-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Your welcome,
I was a noob at those things 2 years ago, now... you just know a thing or two... plus you will understand that apart of Windows there is Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and many more... It got me so much that I'm going to university studying IT from Jan...
I just love those little things ;-)
Actually... NAS4Free is not difficult to set up, there are great tutorials and a hardware? Can you build normal PC? Then you don't have any problem. It just depend what you have/want/like...
Hi again and no ... i cannot build a normal PC
I have just replaced pci card and HD or RAM
But speaking again of this 220 it is strange because, reading a NAS, it is picky only towards to certain file formats, like MKV and VOB instead has no problem to play MP4 for instance
And again with indeed great audio and video quality
It seems to me that is very very close to be an exceptional and universal media player with a AV quality that most of the average media player has no hope to achieve.
Maybe in the next FW releases .... i keep fingers crossed
I like this player like actually i like all BR players. They have been refined up to an unbelievable level, and it shows.
Thanks again. Kindest regards, bernardo
post #4274 of 4282 Old 12-11-2014, 03:48 AM

Ok, I didn't say that building PC would be expensive or difficult but your mileage may vary (you've changed PCI card/RAM/HDD yourself, so you basically build it)... I got mine just of spare parts laying around. It doesn't have to be anything special, it all depends what you want. What I am telling you to is that you will replace this BD player sometime in the future, mainly because of its incompatibility and annoyance in using MKV format. It's not a big deal with MP4 somehow, but it will be picky towards MKV.

I will tell you what I know and what got me to replace it:

1. What I did some tests on what x264 profile it can read and it's rather below standard. It will play BASELINE and MAIN but it will have problem with HIGH, also LEVEL cannot be higher than 4.0, otherwise it will keep jumping. Most of good/new MKV on the net is HIGH @L4.2 or higher (BD RIPs), thats why it may not play some and other have no problems.

2. Problem with subtitles: it will NOT see any subtitles as an external file connected to MKV (those text files with .txt, .sub at the end). It will just see internal sub and if there are none then you will not have anything. No problem with AVI, just MKV (and MP4, not sure).

3. You are saying about great audio... I thought the same until I tried ANY AV receiver and plug some speakers with it... No way you can compare it, it will just blow your head... and anything that CAN bitstream to your receiver over HDMI, will drop sound as well as video for AVR to decode and AVR will be you sound decoder not Panasonic, so no loss there.
4. I intended to keep my BDT120 Player as a BD Player ONLY to play BD... but all I used was my MKV, so no use there and I could always dump BD onto hard drive as I have BD drive in my computer....

5. DLNA is a rip off on this unit, it couldn't stream anything even from my Galaxy Note

I nicely packed up and it will go to fleebay any day before christmas... No use for me whatsoever... and I wouldn't count on FW release, soon as new models will come on the market it will be forgotten. Also, most of new FW was to update copyrights protection not bugs, soon as I updated I couldn't play many files...

Last edited by OrioniS; 12-11-2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Updating
post #4275 of 4282 Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Hi and thanks a lot for the very valuable reply
that has opened my eyes
These players come "close" by default. They are just not intended to be media player with which i have never had big issues. They really read a lot of different files.
So a BR player must be used for what it is.
I will look at a pc based solution like Openelec that has XBMC embedded ... i have installed it on a very old pc and seems to work just fine.
I will test it and abandon the insane idea of using a BR player as a media network streamer
Thanks a lot again for the very helpful advice.
Kindest regards, bernardo
post #4276 of 4282 Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo61 View Post
Hi and thanks a lot for the very valuable reply
that has opened my eyes
These players come "close" by default. They are just not intended to be media player with which i have never had big issues. They really read a lot of different files.
So a BR player must be used for what it is.
I will look at a pc based solution like Openelec that has XBMC embedded ... i have installed it on a very old pc and seems to work just fine.
I will test it and abandon the insane idea of using a BR player as a media network streamer
Thanks a lot again for the very helpful advice.
Kindest regards, bernardo
Only the idea of a Panasonic as a media streamer is insane. Many other brands do this quite well, like LG, Samsung, Sony and Oppo. Panasonic is about the worst media streamer in existence. This has been the case for many years and shows no signs of ever changing.

There are many devices made for streaming that are much cheaper and simpler than PCs, like the WD TV Live, Chromecast or even a Roku with Plex or Media Browser.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #4277 of 4282 Old 12-16-2014, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Quote:

1. What I did some tests on what x264 profile it can read and it's rather below standard. It will play BASELINE and MAIN but it will have problem with HIGH, also LEVEL cannot be higher than 4.0, otherwise it will keep jumping. Most of good/new MKV on the net is HIGH @L4.2 or higher (BD RIPs), thats why it may not play some and other have no problems.
Please, can you explain better?

Thank you
post #4278 of 4282 Old 12-16-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Benedetti View Post
Please, can you explain better?

Thank you
Basically... it will drop video frames or will tell you "unable to play" if x264 level is above L4.0. Have look in Wiki Pages to see what is required for certain levels.
post #4279 of 4282 Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Basically... it will drop video frames or will tell you "unable to play" if x264 level is above L4.0.
This is really strange because I can play Level 5.0 mkv in front USB port without problems, apart from that there is no way to select exact time to start a video, only FFWD or REW and only in a single speed.

I am with you when you write that the 500 sucks in LAN streaming because DLNA is a joke and CIFS share hangs randomly. But... 500 is very powerful in audio and video sections. Mine is connected to a good stereo amplifier and a good TV and I can't complain about audio and video, only as media streamer.

Best Regards
post #4280 of 4282 Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Now a question:

Someone has tested a Dolby Atmos source with BDT 500 and compatible AVR? It's working? Simply set BITSTREAM, right?

Best Regards
post #4281 of 4282 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Benedetti View Post
This is really strange because I can play Level 5.0 mkv in front USB port without problems, apart from that there is no way to select exact time to start a video, only FFWD or REW and only in a single speed.

I am with you when you write that the 500 sucks in LAN streaming because DLNA is a joke and CIFS share hangs randomly. But... 500 is very powerful in audio and video sections. Mine is connected to a good stereo amplifier and a good TV and I can't complain about audio and video, only as media streamer.

Best Regards
...then this will suggest that in reality this unit will need 1GBit LAN and NOT 100MBit as is there now. All my findings was done via SMB connection and L5.0 was choppy as hell. Bear in mind: this was all done on BDT-120, so the hardware is same as BDT-220 apart of WIFI...
post #4282 of 4282 Old Today, 03:55 PM

No, you need a simple USB key. Use bdt 500 as media streamer is crazy, perhaps only music could be streamed thought lan.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray , Panasonic , panasonic 220 , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , purple , receiver , tint
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page