post #31 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

My 220 just arrived. I'll post some impressions later. The ID seems identical to the BDTx10s and the remote looks the same (of course the 3 more expensive models come with that touchpad remote).

A new version of the Remote app for Android/iPhone is suppose to get released ... to support text input via virtual keyboard ... I've not seen it on the iTunes store yet though. Still shows 2011 version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I am most interested in is if Panasonic has fixed the bug where analog audio was disabled when playing 1080/24p material. I returned my 310 because of that. So if anyone could test that, I would be grateful.
post #33 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Just got home for lunch and low and behold, there was a box from Amazon on my doorstep. Inside the Amazon box was my new BDT 220. I don't have time right now to open it but I will conduct my 1st comparison to my Oppo BDP 95 involving the size and weight of both packages. The panny box is about 1/3rd the size and weight of the Oppo box. If going by a strictly cash to weight ratio, the Panny wins. LOL

One thing I did notice right off the bat was the Pandora icon is not printed on the box. This player does stream Pandora, right?!!!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #34 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

One thing I did notice right off the bat was the Pandora icon is not printed on the box. This player does stream Pandora, right?!!!

Yes, suppose to be.

Still waiting for mine to arrive. Now today :-)
post #35 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

A new version of the Remote app for Android/iPhone is suppose to get released ... to support text input via virtual keyboard ... I've not seen it on the iTunes store yet though. Still shows 2011 version.

The pop-up demo unit sign (which comes stuck to the top of the enclosure, folded down) says, "Use our exclusive remote control application with an iPhone or Android smartphone". Nothing has appeared in the Android Marketplace yet. The only place in the manual that I see this mentioned is as pertains to playback of content streamed via DLNA.

First, the bad news: still no 5.1 sound in the Amazon player. The VOD UIs don't seem particularly more responsive than on the BDT110. The Netflix player has changed to the less powerful UI now featured on the PS3 (from this to this, with the slight difference that you scroll up to a search button rather than press the green button to get into the search dialog). The good thing about this is that as you scroll through titles you can see at a glance which ones are HD and/or have 5.1 soundtracks. It also features hierarchical episode selection for TV series, in which you select a season and then the episode within that season instead of from a huge list of all episodes marked "S4:E11" etc.

The good news: the "Let the Right One In quick test" indicates that the Netflix player can now play the 1080p video encodings. (That film is in Swedish with burned in English subs; in the 1080p encoding, subtitles at the top above the letterbox are clipped, rendering the film virtually unwatchable by non Swedish speaking people. A bit strange that they haven't fixed this yet, but it does come in handy ). I'll be confirming this by bandwidth consumption test. There's not much else to prefer in this interface over the one in the BDTx10's player, which is superior for browsing the library. I saw no "black flashes" and the ramp up to higher quality encodings seemed more subtle; it got sharper but I didn't notice the jumps.

Here are few differences gleaned by cursory comparison of some of the manual:
  • AVCHD 3D added to DVDs and SD cards
  • MP4 added to SD cards and USB drives
  • FLAC added to DVDs, CDs and USB devices
  • Support for NTFS formatted HDDs
The ID of the 220 is almost precisely identical to the 110; the jacks on the back are all the same and line up almost exactly. At a glance the remotes are identical, though their model numbers differ in the last three digits. The codes programmed into my Harmony One for the 110 work perfectly. (The other models come with that touchpad remote, which doesn't appeal to me since any control method that I can't program into my Harmony is useless). They prettied up the main menu--BFD. It has a multi-user saved settings feature that doesn't interest me.

I'll fart around with it some more and report anything that I find. My primary focus is streaming (BTW, the Viera Connect Marketplace doesn't look any different than on the 110. So much for getting the fancier apps available on the televisions). I've got some MKV and MP4 clips on a flash drive that I'll try playing.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #36 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 1080 netflix streams (unfortunately only a few available) that you can view with the Ps3, are a big jump up in picture quality especially on my projector 110" screen :-)

At this point about a 3rd of the Netflix streaming library are HD and AFAICT practically all of them have 1080p encodings. I tested 30 at random (out of my IQ) on the PS3 one day and they all had them. A few 720p only titles have been pointed out to me by people--a couple of anime series where other seasons of the same series were in 1080p and Scary Movie come to mind; I don't think that I've come across any myself.

post #37 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

The pop-up demo unit sign (which comes stuck to the top of the enclosure, folded down) says, "Use our exclusive remote control application with an iPhone or Android smartphone". Nothing has appeared in the Android Marketplace yet. The only place in the manual that I see this mentioned is as pertains to playback of content streamed via DLNA.

First, the bad news: still no 5.1 sound in the Amazon player. The VOD UIs don't seem particularly more responsive than on the BDT110. The Netflix player has changed to the less powerful UI now featured on the PS3 (from ]this to this, with the slight difference that you scroll up to a search button rather than press the green button to get into the search dialog). The good thing about this is that as you scroll through titles you can see at a glance which ones are HD and/or have 5.1 soundtracks. It also features hierarchical episode selection for TV series, in which you select a season and then the episode within that season instead of from a huge list of all episodes marked "S4:E11" etc.

The good news: the "Let the Right One In quick test" indicates that the Netflix player can now play the 1080p video encodings. (That film is in Swedish with burned in English subs; in the 1080p encoding, subtitles at the top above the letterbox are clipped, rendering the film virtually unwatchable by non Swedish speaking people. A bit strange that they haven't fixed this yet, but it does come in handy ). I'll be confirming this by bandwidth consumption test. There's not much else to prefer in this interface over the one in the BDTx10's player, which is superior for browsing the library. I saw no "black flashes" and the ramp up to higher quality encodings seemed more subtle; it got sharper but I didn't notice the jumps.

Here are few differences gleaned by cursory comparison of some of the manual:
  • AVCHD 3D added to DVDs and SD cards
  • MP4 added to SD cards and USB drives
  • FLAC added to DVDs, CDs and USB devices
  • Support for NTFS formatted HDDs
The ID of the 220 is almost precisely identical to the 110; the jacks on the back are all the same and line up almost exactly. At a glance the remotes are identical, though their model numbers differ in the last three digits. The codes programmed into my Harmony One for the 110 work perfectly. (The other models come with that touchpad remote, which doesn't appeal to me since any control method that I can't program into my Harmony is useless). They prettied up the main menu--BFD. It has a multi-user saved settings feature that doesn't interest me.

I'll fart around with it some more and report anything that I find. My primary focus is streaming (BTW, the Viera Connect Marketplace doesn't look any different than on the 110. So much for getting the fancier apps available on the televisions). I've got some MKV and MP4 clips on a flash drive that I'll try playing.

thanks for the quick review? do you have the t2:skynet blu ray? how does it play on the new player? I had problems playing the t2 on the 210 model.
thanks.

Jacob
post #38 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I'm very interesed in the 220. How do you know which Netflix movies will stream in 1080p and/or have subtitles? Is it shown on Netflix' website? Does it show on screen after you load them? Thanks.
post #39 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I'm very interesed in the 220. How do you know which Netflix movies will stream in 1080p and/or have subtitles? Is it shown on Netflix' website? Does it show on screen after you load them? Thanks.

For subtitles, you can see a list at Netflix's site here. You can see a list of HD streams here; as I stated above I believe that the normal case is that an HD stream will include a 1080p encoding with very few exceptions. (The link at Netflix's site for HD is in the genres pulldown; "Subtitles & Captions" is a link at the bottom of the page).

You might want to use a site like TVandMoviesNow.com which will let you filter on an arbitrary set of multiple attributes, like Netflix movies with captions and surround sound (very nearly all 5.1 titles are also HD--only 2 or 3 aren't).

post #40 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

thanks for the quick review? do you have the t2:skynet blu ray?

I have the regular T2 BD but not the Skynet edition.

post #41 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the regular T2 BD but not the Skynet edition.

does it have vudu? does the vudu list 3d?
since it has the ps3 menu. it also does the DD+ 5.1?
I remember the panasonic 210 model could do DD+, but not the netflix on the ps3.

Jacob
post #42 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

does it have vudu? does the vudu list 3d?
since it has the ps3 menu. it also does the DD+ 5.1?
I remember the panasonic 210 model could do DD+, but not the netflix on the ps3.

Yes, it does have a VUDU player--the BDTx10s also had one. Yes the VUDU player as DD+ sound for some titles, also true of the BDTx10s' VUDU player. The VUDU player does list some 3D titles (34 it looks like) which the BDTx10s' VUDU player did not. (I tried to play a 2 minute preview of one and it informed me that I didn't appear to be connected to a 3D capable television, which was true . When I just checked that out they gave me another $6 credit for registering a new player--sweet .

Both the BDTx10s and the PS3 play DD+ 5.1 sound in their Netflix players (the PS3 since their installed player came out--5.1 sound and 1080p video were announced then and for about a year only the PS3 could play 1080p). The list of titles with 5.1 sound is only about 7% of the Netflix streaming catalog at this point (HD has grown to about a third of all titles now). You can see a list of Netflix streaming titles with 5.1 sound here. As I said in the post above, one of the few advantages of that GUI is that as you flip through the thumbs it displays the full description on the right side of the screen and that description includes logos for HD and 5.1 next to the title.

post #43 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Can you all report on whether Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu are putting out at 24fps or is the refresh rate still 60? My TV seems especially prone to judder when playing back 24fps material at higher refresh rates.
post #44 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, it does have a VUDU player--the BDTx10s also had one. Yes the VUDU player as DD+ sound for some titles, also true of the BDTx10s' VUDU player. The VUDU player does list some 3D titles (34 it looks like) which the BDTx10s' VUDU player did not. (I tried to play a 2 minute preview of one and it informed me that I didn't appear to be connected to a 3D capable television, which was true . When I just checked that out they gave me another $6 credit for registering a new player--sweet .

Both the BDTx10s and the PS3 play DD+ 5.1 sound in their Netflix players (the PS3 since their installed player came out--5.1 sound and 1080p video were announced then and for about a year only the PS3 could play 1080p). The list of titles with 5.1 sound is only about 7% of the Netflix streaming catalog at this point (HD has grown to about a third of all titles now). You can see a list of Netflix streaming titles with 5.1 sound here. As I said in the post above, one of the few advantages of that GUI is that as you flip through the thumbs it displays the full description on the right side of the screen and that description includes logos for HD and 5.1 next to the title.

I own the ps3 slim and I only get DD on titles and not DD+. I only got it on the 210 model. I am talking about netflix and not vudu.

Jacob
post #45 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

For subtitles, you can see a list at Netflix's site here. You can see a list of HD streams here; as I stated above I believe that the normal case is that an HD stream will include a 1080p encoding with very few exceptions. (The link at Netflix's site for HD is in the genres pulldown; "Subtitles & Captions" is a link at the bottom of the page).

You might want to use a site like TVandMoviesNow.com which will let you filter on an arbitrary set of multiple attributes, like Netflix movies with captions and surround sound (very nearly all 5.1 titles are also HD--only 2 or 3 aren't).

Thanks michael. So if I stream an HD Netflix movie, if it's available in 1080p it will play it in 1080p automatically? And if I stream a Netflix movie that has subtitles, does it show that it has subtitles when I view my queue on my display? Do I activate the subtitles with the remote(like a disc)?
post #46 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

Can you all report on whether Netflix, Amazon, and Vudu are putting out at 24fps or is the refresh rate still 60? My TV seems especially prone to judder when playing back 24fps material at higher refresh rates.

My television can't accept 24p but 24p VOD is one of the listed features.

post #47 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Thanks michael. So if I stream an HD Netflix movie, if it's available in 1080p it will play it in 1080p automatically?

Yes, if you're playing it on a 1080p capable device and the player can keep up with the 1080p stream under current conditions (available bandwidth on your connect to Netflix's server, responsiveness of those servers, etc). It takes about a 7 Mbps connection to stay ahead of the 5.2 Mbps average Netflix 1080p encoding (which includes 5.1 channel DD+ at 384 Kbps).
Quote:

And if I stream a Netflix movie that has subtitles, does it show that it has subtitles when I view my queue on my display? Do I activate the subtitles with the remote(like a disc)?

Unfortunately there is currently no indicator that a title had subtitles/captions visible from the top level of that title's description. If you dive into the "Audio and subtitles" menu for that title the option will be listed there if available (and yeah, you do have to turn them on).

post #48 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

My thoughts.

Quite honestly its like they took the inner's of the 210 and put it in the 220 shell. I see little or no difference quite honestly.

I did a comparison between "The Fighter" that I know is in 1080p on my PS3 (X-High) and the 220. The PS3 was definitely better picture quality. In my opinion the 220 is still using the same 720p streams as it did before.

Vudu is the same as it was before, as is Amazon and Hulu. Infact, Hulu locked up just as it did with the 210 on a commercial. You would have thought they would have taken the time to test this stuff. Amazing really.

Amazon VOD is still no 5.1 sound folks.

As the Netflix stream adapted, I didn't see any black flickers as with the 210, so that's encouraging at least. But its early days and I wouldn't want to set the wrong expectation with folks.

I would say the UI with Viera is a degree faster moving around, but that's subjective.

Now .... here's one thing the 220 does have. For any (and I mean any content), you can force the player to push 1080p/24. So that's for VUDU, Amazon, Netflix ... DVD , etc ... completely up to you. If you think it looks better, then great, but the player wont automatically decide for you. You need to manual select that every time as the setting is not remembered.
post #49 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Liked: 10
Def. looking forward to BD and DVD PQ reviews!
post #50 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I own the ps3 slim and I only get DD on titles and not DD+. I only got it on the 210 model. I am talking about netflix and not vudu.

Jacob

Yea, thats the same for me on my PS3 slim. Netflix is just DD. Vudu seems to just output 5 channel PCM to my receiver .... I've never ever had the DD+ bitstream from the Ps3 slim.

The 220 as the 210, will output a DD+ bitstream from only Vudu.
post #51 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did a comparison between "The Fighter" that I know is in 1080p on my PS3 (X-High) and the 220. The PS3 was definitely better picture quality. In my opinion the 220 is still using the same 720p streams as it did before.

As I said, the Let the Right One In quick test is pretty definitive all by itself (try it) and I performed my usual bandwidth consumption test using the bandwidth graphing feature of my router's firmware. I measure bandwidth consumed during playback of minutes 5 thru 14 of Ong Bak 2 (a very encoder challenging sequence of martial arts battle in the rain). On the BDT220, this consumed 440.8 MB (including unplayed content in its buffer) for an overall average of 6162.6 Kpbs (in line with what I see from the PS3); on the BDT110, this consumed 306.8 MB for an overall average of 4289.2 Kbps. It's playing the 1080p encodings, on my box at least.
Quote:

Vudu is the same as it was before...

Except that it now lists and can play the small collection of 3D VUDU titles.
Quote:

You need to manual select that every time as the setting is not remembered.

In Setup->Player Settings->Video->HDMI Output, there's a "24p Output" on/off setting--if you set that to ON do you get persistent 24p? Not having a television capable of accepting 24p, I can't test.

post #52 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I said, the Let the Right One In quick test is pretty definitive all by itself (try it) and I performed my usual bandwidth consumption test using the bandwidth graphing feature of my router's firmware. I measure bandwidth consumed during playback of minutes 5 thru 14 of Ong Bak 2 (a very encoder challenging sequence of martial arts battle in the rain). On the BDT220, this consumed 440.8 MB (including unplayed content in its buffer) for an overall average of 6162.6 Kpbs (in line with what I see from the PS3); on the BDT110, this consumed 306.8 MB for an overall average of 4289.2 Kbps. It's playing the 1080p encodings, on my box at least.
Except that it now lists and can play the small collection of 3D VUDU titles.
In Setup->Player Settings->Video->HDMI Output, there's a "24p Output" on/off setting--if you set that to ON do you get persistent 24p? Not having a television capable of accepting 24p, I can't test.

xcept that it now lists and can play the small collection of 3D VUDU titles.
that is very interesting. you would think that the panasonic 2011 models could do that.
how do you like the player over all?
Jacob
post #53 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right. Thats for Bluray only.

For all other media and streaming, it manually has to be set by selecting options > video > 24p on/off once the media starts.

How do I like the player ?

Yea, its fine. So far and with the current firmware I see very little difference between the 210.
post #54 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right. Thats for Bluray only.

For all other media and streaming, it manually has to be set by selecting options > video > 24p on/off once the media starts.

How do I like the player ?

Yea, its fine. So far and with the current firmware I see very little difference between the 210.

do you own the t2:skynet edition blu ray?
I had trouble playing mine on the 210. was wondering if it has the same issue.
he gets hung up when you leave it in the player.

Jacob
post #55 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

No. I don't have that bluray. I did try Jurassic park but it seemed to get hung up on some initial bdlive content. Player locked up so I restarted it and it played through fine second time.

Both bd and DVD upscale pictures are great ... No surprise there.
post #56 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

xcept that it now lists and can play the small collection of 3D VUDU titles.
that is very interesting. you would think that the panasonic 2011 models could do that.

Yes, you would have thought that it would, but it didn't. There was a guy in the other thread who repeatedly asked whether they added that after every update.
Quote:

how do you like the player over all?

I'm unhappy that it doesn't play 5.1 sound from the limited selection of Amazon titles which have it, but its Netflix player is superior to the Roku 2's, since it supports all of the Netflix features (1080p/5.1/CC) and lacks some bugs and limitations that the Roku 2 has. The Roku 2 cannot see that some titles have HD encodings and/or 5.1 sound; the HD thing isn't too serious, since you'll get the HD encodings whether the description says that they're there or not, but if it doesn't know that there's available 5.1 sound it won't put it on the title's "Audio and subtitles" menu (or not put the menu in its top dialog at all. Since the Roku 2 cannot process DD+ (probably to save licensing), it doesn't select it by default, like all the other 5.1 capable Netflix players that I have do. It doesn't because it can't be confident that the connected device can handle DD+. Consequently you have to select it every time. Very annoying, particularly when you're watching multiple episodes of a TV series, since you have to select DD+ again after every episode.

I think that I'll keep it.

post #57 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Argh. The Hulu Plus app is driving me nuts. It crashed during last nights Daily show, and just hung up on The River.

Come on Panasonic. I mean Hulu Plus is a big logo on the outside of the 220 box !
post #58 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
post #59 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. I don't have that bluray. I did try Jurassic park but it seemed to get hung up on some initial bdlive content. Player locked up so I restarted it and it played through fine second time.

Both bd and DVD upscale pictures are great ... No surprise there.

I dont own the jurrasic park series yet. I cannt comment on that. I will get the set someday down the road.

Jacob
post #60 of 4216 Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

Def. looking forward to BD and DVD PQ reviews!

I just finished checking out my BDT220 against my Oppo BDP95.

Started off with some 2 channel stereo just for fun. I run my 95 through a Parasound Halo C2 AVR and a Parasound HCA 1205A amp that are hooked to PSB Stratus Silver mains. Needless to say the Oppo smoked the panny but that's what it's primarily made for....... audiophile audio so no surprise here. I will say that the panny did sound good but things like cymbals and ambience sounds such as waves crashing at the shore just didn't have much behind them. OK, enough of the ridiculous.....on to the video aspects.

I compared the two players using the same HDMI cable hooked to my callibrated Sony 60EX500 in a darkened room. I started with my Avatar disc for bluray comparison and must say that the panny looked great, albeit maybe a little oversaturated in the color dept. as was evidenced by the neon forest scenes in the "Neytiri" chapter. I wasn't expecting much of a difference and that's exactly what I got.

DVD was a slightly different story....... I used Pearl Harbor and concentrated on chapters 22 and 23, the battle/bombing scenes. Whereas the Oppo looked slightly better, it wasn't by much. Detail was a little crisper with the Oppo as evidenced by the people scurrying around on the deck of the Arizona just before the bomb hits the ship. Color seemed a bit deeper and more natural with the Oppo as well but not by much. Bomb blasts were more contrasty with the orange fire against the black smoke slightly more vivid.

I only played with these two machines for about 2 hours and am quite surprised at how well this little panny performs against the far more expensive Oppo. This is my first panny so I can't compare it to previous models but I will say that for $150.00, it seems well worth the price.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page