Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxwin View Post

That's good to know. One of the reasons I'm moving away from my PS3 for media streaming is its horrible fast-forward/rewind performance over wifi. The 220 should be even faster than you described on my network as it will connect using 802.11n.

My 220 is scheduled to arrive today. I'll be testing playback of a few different types of HD MKVs over DLNA and SMB and will post my results.

Hi whitesoxwin,

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with your mkv tests as I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these but the 220 is 189euro in ireland so want to make sure it does what i want, no return unless actual fault.

I have a selection of lossless copies of my blurays backed up in mkv format each around 30 - 40Gb with DTS-MA soundtrack which are stored on my NAS drive.

I want to link 220 via hdmi to my Denon AVR-3312 and have the DTS-MA soundtrack output.

If you could test an mkv with a DTS-MA soundtrack that would be fantastic !!

Thanks,
Ciaran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopack306 View Post

- Has anyone found an Android/iPhone app for the player yet? The only official one I've seen is for the Panny TV's and it doesn't recognize my player.

I don't think that the official one has surfaced yet. I bought the $2 third-party one which works (you have to enable the function on the 220) except that I couldn't get the keyboard to work properly in Netflix search. It's a pity, since it had the Google voice recognition key and I had dreams of speaking my search terms into the phone .

One wonders what's keeping them from getting this out. The little placard in the box that get stuck to a unit on demo display distinctly proclaims "Smartphone Remote Control".

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #633 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

You mean video settings for the 220?

I did not see those but will have to go back and hunt for them.

Back on pages 9-11. Basically people recommended to keep the output as unaltered as possible and let your tv do most of the work.

ie
Picture Mode: Normal
Chroma: Off
Super Resolution: 0
ect
post #634 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't think that the official one has surfaced yet. I bought the $2 third-party one which works (you have to enable the function on the 220) except that I couldn't get the keyboard to work properly in Netflix search. It's a pity, since it had the Google voice recognition key and I had dreams of speaking my search terms into the phone .

One wonders what's keeping them from getting this out. The little placard in the box that get stuck to a unit on demo display distinctly proclaims "Smartphone Remote Control".

You would think they would have the app out before advertising it ...

I emailed Panasonic to see about the app, so I'll post what their response is.
post #635 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran75 View Post

Hi whitesoxwin,

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with your mkv tests as I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these but the 220 is 189euro in ireland so want to make sure it does what i want, no return unless actual fault.

I have a selection of lossless copies of my blurays backed up in mkv format each around 30 - 40Gb with DTS-MA soundtrack which are stored on my NAS drive.

I want to link 220 via hdmi to my Denon AVR-3312 and have the DTS-MA soundtrack output.

If you could test an mkv with a DTS-MA soundtrack that would be fantastic !!

Thanks,
Ciaran

I'd be glad to test for you, but I don't have any MKVs with DTS-MA audio and don't currently have the hardware/software to rip any of my blu-rays. I'll see if I can find anything online to test this with. Maybe you could point me in the right direction?
post #636 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I'd be glad to test for you, but I don't have any MKVs with DTS-MA audio and don't currently have the hardware/software to rip any of my blu-rays. I'll see if I can find anything online to test this with. Maybe you could point me in the right direction?

Well I may have answered my own question. Found a bunch of sample files here: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php. The DTS HD-MA files are all in m2ts format, but I can use mkvmerge to remux them to MKV. I'm not sure my wifi bandwidth will be enough to stream such high bit rate files, though.
post #637 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Oppo smoked the panny but that's what it's primarily made for....... audiophile audio so no surprise here.

I had an opposite experience, but that is because of my setup.

My CD player is like 15 years old. I haven't bought a DVD player in 10 years. When I played a CD through my 220 ... holy cow did it sound good!

Can only imagine what the Oppo sounds like!
post #638 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM

BDT220 Question (and probably the whole series):

Perhaps this is because I've been out of the game for a while, but why can't you play MP3s off the SD card?

It's a lot neater than having a USB sticking out the front, since you can't use the back USB port.
post #639 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM

I'm considering getting this (BDT 220) but have a couple questions I haven't seen answered yet. First, I will use the photo slideshow feature a lot - through a USB thumb drive inserted in the front panel. Is shuffle or random play available for slideshows from USB thumb drives? How about for music (FLAC files) from USB thumb drives -- is shuffle play or random available for that?

Also, using a USB thumb drive, can one jump to a particular picture or song. Can you jump into a particular time within a song or video (from the thumb drive)? If you are listening to a song on a thumb drive, can you search the folders for the next song, while the first song CONTINUES playing?

As to DTS ... I will only have an optical digital audio output. My receiver does not have HDMI input. So, I'm wondering, can this do standard DTS, through optical... or can it only do the HD DTS sorts of stuff which requires HDMI? Thanks in advance for any help.
post #640 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcran View Post

I'm considering getting this but have a couple questions I haven't seen answered yet. First, I will use the photo slideshow feature a lot - through a USB thumb drive inserted in the front panel. Is shuffle or random play available for slideshows from USB thumb drives? How about for music (FLAC files) from USB thumb drives -- is shuffle play or random available for that?

Also, using a USB thumb drive, can one jump to a particular picture or song. Can you jump into a particular time within a song or video (from the thumb drive)? If you are listening to a song on a thumb drive, can you search the folders for the next song, while the first song CONTINUES playing?

As to DTS ... I will only have an optical digital audio output. My receiver does not have HDMI input. So, I'm wondering, can this do standard DTS, through optical... or can it only do the HD DTS sorts of stuff through HDMI? Thanks in advance for any help.

Pictures won't shuffle, but the music playing during a slideshow can be random. Music alone won't shuffle, but you can go to any track. I don't remember if it keeps playing while browsing or not.

You'll get standard DD and DTS bitstreams over optical just like you got with your DVD player.

I much prefer sony or LG for music because it has Gracenote service for album art and other info when playing CDs. When playing files, you don't get that of course. Panny interface is pretty bare bones. You may have more options if you stream music via DLNA versus playing from USB.
post #641 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Pictures won't shuffle, but the music playing during a slideshow can be random. Music alone won't shuffle, but you can go to any track. I don't remember if it keeps playing while browsing or not.

You'll get standard DD and DTS bitstreams over optical just like you got with your DVD player.

I much prefer sony or LG for music because it has Gracenote service for album art and other info when playing CDs. When playing files, you don't get that of course. Panny interface is pretty bare bones. You may have more options if you stream music via DLNA versus playing from USB.

Thanks. I thought I'd read in the manual online that it had random or shuffle for pictures, but wasn't sure if that applied to DLNA alone or USB as well. I'd be brand new to DLNA and am afraid of problem after problem arising in setting it up. But it may be sort of fun figuring it out (and move me into the 21st century) -- and definitely worth it, if I can get it to work well.
post #642 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Well I may have answered my own question. Found a bunch of sample files here: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php. The DTS HD-MA files are all in m2ts format, but I can use mkvmerge to remux them to MKV. I'm not sure my wifi bandwidth will be enough to stream such high bit rate files, though.

thanks again for all the effort, really appreciate it.

let me know how you get on?? if to much effort no problem at all.
post #643 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:

That m2ts is a format that the Panasonic should understand as it is the same as Panasonic cameras. I can pop my SD cards into the unit and play the movies from my Pansonic Lumix cameras.
post #644 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM

It really does look like a showdown between the sony 590 and the pan. x20 for those interested in a new player! Sony has better file support, but you are burdened by cinavia. Pan. has superior video processing, but limited file support and a still glitchy netflix platform.

We'll see which player wins the popularity contest in the months to come....
post #645 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Has it been established that Panasonic's video processing is superior?

post #646 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

It really does look like a showdown between the sony 590 and the pan. x20 for those interested in a new player! Sony has better file support, but you are burdened by cinavia. Pan. has superior video processing, but limited file support and a still glitchy netflix platform.

All players manufactured after Feb/2012 must have Cinavia support. I'm pretty sure the Panny has it or will have it VERY soon.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #647 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That inclusion of Cinavia is documented in the Panasonic manuals has been discussed already in this thread. See this. Licensing AACS requires Cinavia detection as of 12 February this year and all BD players require AACS licensing, if they want to play most retail BDs.

As I understand it, Cinavia is an audio watermark which identifies the origin of media. It might say, for instance, "this audio is from an AACS protected BD". Cinavia compliant equipment will detect that and refuse to play it if it's not playing it from an AACS protected BD, such as a video file ripped from a BD on a disc or USB drive or as served to the player via DLNA.

I believe that only a small subset of BDs have Cinavia watermarks as yet.

post #648 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

That inclusion of Cinavia is documented in the Panasonic manuals has been discussed already in this thread. See this. Licensing AACS requires Cinavia detection as of 12 February this year and all BD players require AACS licensing, if they want to play most retail BDs.

As I understand it, Cinavia is an audio watermark which identifies the origin of media. It might say, for instance, "this audio is from an AACS protected BD". Cinavia compliant equipment will detect that and refuse to play it if it's not playing it from an AACS protected BD, such as a video file ripped from a BD on a disc or USB drive or as served to the player via DLNA.

I believe that only a small subset of BDs have Cinavia watermarks as yet.

Do you have an idea as to what might occur if a cinavia encoded disc plays on a machine that is non-cinavia complient such as any of the Oppo players?

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #649 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you have an idea as to what might occur if a cinavia encoded disc plays on a machine that is non-cinavia complient such as any of the Oppo players?

It's supposed to be completely transparent and inaudible. I don't think that Cinavia enabled players filter it out of the sound in any way for playback. In fact, it's supposed to work if you bring a handheld camera into a theater to record a Cinavia marked film from the screen. The Cinavia watermark will be detectable in a microphone recording of sound.

EDIT: It should be noted that there's already a product which claims to be able to produce a BDMV-REC copy of a Cinavia marked BDMV-ROM which will play on PS3s (and only guaranteed to play on PS3). No rip to a play-anywhere file as yet.

post #650 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I got my 220 yesterday. I bought it primarily because my fat PS3 can't do lossless audio when watching 3D Blu-rays but I did have a small hope that picture quality would be improved too with the 220. It turns out the improvement was bigger than expected; in 2D I'm seeing what I can only describe as less noise and increased sharpness (without any ringing introduced), and 3D is basically a whole different beast now. I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase but, of course, I don't know if any newer player would have given me the same improvements. But based on my use case, an upgrade from fat PS3 to 220 is a no-brainer as far as picture quality is concerned.

(I've spent countless hours adjusting the settings on my Samsung 7000 series plasma in order to achieve the fabled 'perfect' picture as well as verified my PS3 settings many times. The improvements are definitely not caused by a configuration issue.)

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #651 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Absolutely nothing and that's why the studios are forcing the new Bluray player to comply. Old BD players will play disks with Cinavia like they already play today. Several disks I received from Netflix recently had Cinavia and my Oppo played them without a glitch. If the disk is encoded with Cinavia and the player has Cinavia support, only the original disk can be played. If the disk is encoded with Cinavia and the player has no Cinavia support, it should play normally . Cinavia is not the future, its already the present.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #652 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:

thanks again for all the effort, really appreciate it.

let me know how you get on?? if to much effort no problem at all.

Well I've got the player set up, firmware updated and sure enough I can't get any MKV or MP4 video to stream from my DLNA server (PS3 Media Server). Just like all the reviews I've seen so far say, I can see my DLNA server and folder and file names, but the videos won't play back. MAJOR FAIL, Panasonic. I may try a different DLNA server to see if that makes any difference.

The good news is that I was able to connect to an SMB share with no problem. The user interface for accessing the share is pretty clunky, but it works. 720p MKV playback with AAC, DTS, and AC-3 audio works fine over 802.11n wifi. Fastforward/Rewind of MKVs is quite a bit better than on my PS3.

Ciaran - I was able to play back the short 1080p clip with DTS HD-MA 7.1 that I downloaded and remuxed to an MKV. The audio track appeared to play fine, but so far I haven't moved the player to my home theater so the player is downmixing to 2 channel PCM for the TV I'm testing it on. I think that's a good sign, though. I did have problems with the bitrate over wifi - this caused a bunch of stuttering in the audio/video, but I don't think it was a problem with the DTS HD-MA track in particular.
post #653 of 4212 Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I was not able to get my 320 to hook up with wi-fi. I know I did it right because I re-tried it on my old LG 590 and passwords worked fine. I hope the 500 has stronger wi-fi connection. But, the dvd upconversion is much better than my old Oppo 93.
post #654 of 4212 Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 AM

Trying to change my user name to not offend panny people. Had a bad experience with 2 samsung bd-d6700 and returned both. Reading a lot of good things about the dmp-bdt320 and considering getting one. Just have a simple question for owners of this unit and maybe some advice. Can I just insert the disc in without powering the unit up? Also I heard there is no eject on the remote but I read a workaround for harmony remote users which i am. Program the remote for last years model. Assuming it would be the 210 or 310. Poster didn't say. Not sure if I read that here.
post #655 of 4212 Old 03-22-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:

Well I've got the player set up, firmware updated and sure enough I can't get any MKV or MP4 video to stream from my DLNA server (PS3 Media Server). Just like all the reviews I've seen so far say, I can see my DLNA server and folder and file names, but the videos won't play back. MAJOR FAIL, Panasonic. I may try a different DLNA server to see if that makes any difference.

The good news is that I was able to connect to an SMB share with no problem. The user interface for accessing the share is pretty clunky, but it works. MKV 720p MKV playback with AAC, DTS, and AC-3 audio works fine over 802.11n wifi. Fastforward/Rewind of MKVs is quite a bit better than on my PS3.

Ciaran - I was able to play back the short 1080p clip with DTS HD-MA 7.1 that I downloaded and remuxed to an MKV. The audio track appeared to play fine, but so far I haven't moved the player to my home theater so the player is downmixing to 2 channel PCM for the TV I'm testing it on. I think that's a good sign, though. I did have problems with the bitrate over wifi - this caused a bunch of stuttering in the audio/video, but I don't think it was a problem with the DTS HD-MA track in particular.

Thanks again for your help, think i'll bite the bullet on one of these.
post #656 of 4212 Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks again for your help, think i'll bite the bullet on one of these.

You're welcome! I think you'll be fine as long as the video in the MKVs is AVC and you're playing the files back over ethernet or from a local usb drive. 802.11n just doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth for lossless audio and high bitrate 1080p video.

Has anyone successfully played back MKVs over DLNA on the 220? If so, what type of DLNA server are you using? Crazy that I can stream these files from "mapped" SMB shares, but not DLNA.
post #657 of 4212 Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM

both reviews below they also met with issues playing files from DNLA so they had to map directly to IP address, think this is what you have done.

yeah, my NAS and bluray will be hardwired directly to router, not wifi

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...view?artc_pg=2

http://www.t3.com/reviews/panasonic-dmp-bdt220-review
post #658 of 4212 Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmike View Post

Trying to change my user name to not offend panny people. Had a bad experience with 2 samsung bd-d6700 and returned both. Reading a lot of good things about the dmp-bdt320 and considering getting one. Just have a simple question for owners of this unit and maybe some advice. Can I just insert the disc in without powering the unit up? Also I heard there is no eject on the remote but I read a workaround for harmony remote users which i am. Program the remote for last years model. Assuming it would be the 210 or 310. Poster didn't say. Not sure if I read that here.

I own the 320. There is no eject on the remote, but just slightly touching the eject button on the 320 ejects the disc. Also just inserting a disc automatically turns the unit on.
post #659 of 4212 Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by liguy View Post

I own the 320. There is no eject on the remote, but just slightly touching the eject button on the 320 ejects the disc. Also just inserting a disc automatically turns the unit on.

I also own the 320. I was able to programmed my Harmony remote with the Panny 210 and the eject buttom worked fine on the 320.
post #660 of 4212 Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

No they don't. I have own several Panny's and Sony's throughout the years and the PQ is the SAME. Currently I have the new Panny 320 and compared to my old Sony S770 and S780 the PQ is IDENTICAL. However, I preffer the Sony players for various reasons. Also, I think my old Sony 780 is faster than the new Panny 320. Everything from menu navigation to chapters skip to disc overall loading, the Sony wins.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page