Originally Posted by whitesoxwin
That reminds me - I have a TH42PZ80U (42" Panasonic Plasma) and am trying to use Viera Link. The TV turns on when I turn on the 220, but I can't get it to turn off the TV. Any ideas? I do have the 220 set to use the quick startup mode if that makes any difference.
As mdavej wrote, if you use the TV remote to turn off, it will also turn off the player. Think about the logic:
1) Turning on the BD (with its remote), you need the TV to watch anything, so it turns the TV on automatically.
2) Turning off the BD (with its remote) you may want to continue watching cable or OTA, so it does NOT automatically turn off TV (which would initiate power off cycle, cooling down etc).
3) Turning on TV (with its remote) will also turn on whichever device currently has input (BD, cable box etc). Switching input to another device same thing.
4) Turning off TV (with its remote) will turn off other devices (BD etc) as you probably don't need them without the TV. At least will it turn off the currently active input device.
5) The exception is when you want to use the BD for music through an AVR, no TV needed. That's why the Panny has an option to turn off just the TV.
At least that's how it works between my Panny 110 and Mitsubishi TV.