post #721 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoliator View Post

Weaselboy, norneslo:

I was the one who originally posted the BD Live audio sync fix. After I first did it, things were fine, until I played Alien, then it came back even though BD Live was still off. Don't ask me why it was that one disc, but once it happened again, I decided that something had to be wrong with the player. I sent it back in exchange for a new one. The replacement has not given me any problems with audio sync.

I would like to ask you both how you ran the firmware update on your players. Did you do it wirelessly, directly from the internet? Or did you burn a CD-R and update from that? Also, if you did download it directly, did the download crash midway through, forcing you to start it again? This was the only "peculiar" thing that happened when I was setting up my first BDT320, and I'm curious as to whether or not it had something to do with the audio sync problem. For the second player, I didn't want to chance it so I updated from a CD-R.

I did the update over the network, my 320 is hard wired ethernet. No glitches I could see in the update process. Last night we caught up on watching our netflix BR disc rentals, those played fine, no sync issues, and my quick testing of netflix titles looked fine too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

I already had BD live off and just tried your tip (auto gain was ON), and still have really bad Netflix audio sync issues. I tried unplugging the box and that helped quite a bit, but the audio sync problem is still there.

I tried the same Netflix movie on my newest gen. Apple TV and there was no audio sync problem. Both the 220 and the Apple TV are hard wired so data speed should not be an issue. I have given up on the 220 as a Netflix device and will just use the Apple TV. Still a great Blu-Ray player though.

I've noticed when I turn on the 24p feature the audio delay sometimes shows up. It's not consistent though. For example, I've tried 3 different episodes of the Star Trek (original series, w/HD & DD+), in two, when 24p is on, audio delay showed up, in one it didn't. Go figure. I have the 220, with latest firmware, BD Live disabled and audio gain disabled.

Panasonic really needs to get the 24p thing sorted out, the way they have it implemented is brain dead. They should let the user choose to automatically turn it on when the source material is encoded in 24 frames as well as disable it automatically when it makes no sense to use it, rather than try to deliver 30 frames in 24, even if the user has it turned on. What were they thinking?
post #723 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxwin View Post

Ok, I haven't seen any way to jump to a specific time in a MKV/MP4 file played from usb or network. Haven't even started testing disc playback yet, so I'm not sure about this with dvd/blu-rays either. I have a few MKVs that for whatever reason will not fast forward or rewind at all with the 220, so being able to enter a time to jump to would be helpful. Is this obvious and I'm just missing it?

I've noticed the same, mp4 will not rewind, nor skip to the next title. mov files will allow me to FF but not skip.

post #724 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my 320 for a week or so, just getting the chance to hook it up and play around for awhile. This will go into my HT (being rebuilt) until new Oppo models eventually release, then will come back up to the bedroom where it is being explored. No AVR, just Panasonic soundbar and Panasonic 54" G25 plasma. The 320 is temporarily replacing a BD85.

My first steps would normally be to connect to my wireless network and upgrade firmware. In the case of the 320 there was a slight delay while I became familiar with the odd touchpad remote. The thing is also a slimy tadpole, its squirted out of my hands a couple of times. Anyway, after a few minutes of hell the first two steps were completed with no problems.

First impressions, compared with BD85 it's significantly faster. Blu-ray looks better, DVD upconversion is quite impressive. I've had no problems playing any video formats from my NAS, a Linksys Media Hub, including my MP4s.

I have pretty crappy DSL service, 4mb download limit. I've had no problem with Netflix, picture quality is better than my BD85, Roku 2 XD, WD HD live, Logitech Revue or my PC. Hulu looks great, as does Amazon.

So far, cons are the remote, major pluses on DVD play and streaming services. Typical great blu-ray performance from Panasonic. Once I've rebuilt my HT components I look forward to putting this through its paces. For now the BD85 and Roku have been replaced in the bedroom.

post #725 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having a lot of trouble getting my 220 to play files from my HTPC. Is there a guide somewhere? The 220 manual is kind of useless. I really want to try both DLNA and a shared drive and see which works better.

Also, if I play a DVD rip through the 220, does it upscale the picture the same way it would if I put in the actual disc? Do files go through the same path before being played? Is my HTPC basically taken out of the equation?
post #726 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my 220 to play files from my HTPC. Is there a guide somewhere? The 220 manual is kind of useless. I really want to try both DLNA and a shared drive and see which works better.

Also, if I play a DVD rip through the 220, does it upscale the picture the same way it would if I put in the actual disc? Do files go through the same path before being played? Is my HTPC basically taken out of the equation?

Browsing to your network DLNA server is easy, setting up shared drives a little less so. If you're at all computer savvy its not too difficult to figure out.

Yes, streamed content from DLNA looks much better than the source. I'm watching ripped mpeg2 version of Northern Exposure now, it looks better than on any other streamer I own. Whether your HTPC is taken out of the equation or not depends on the server and settings - you may have transcoding at the source.

post #727 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought the BDT-320 yesterday at Frys to replace my BDT-210 and I had to return it today due to do some issues. I had audio delay issues with Netflix streaming that I could not solve. I turned off the BD-Live and had the same issue and I also did a factory reset and had the same issue.
post #728 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I have a 220 on the way to replace a FAT PS3 that finally decided to die...can't wait! Thanks for the guidance on this player...can't believe what a value it is.
post #729 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Browsing to your network DLNA server is easy, setting up shared drives a little less so. If you're at all computer savvy its not too difficult to figure out.

Yes, streamed content from DLNA looks much better than the source. I'm watching ripped mpeg2 version of Northern Exposure now, it looks better than on any other streamer I own. Whether your HTPC is taken out of the equation or not depends on the server and settings - you may have transcoding at the source.

I can navigate to DLNA in the player, but it's not playing any of my FLAC files and it's not showing all of my movie folder. It shows some, but not all.
post #730 of 4212 Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I did fix this, BTW, by performing the arcane "reset player to factory state" operation (does not revert to shipped firmware version, though) and re-registering. I had to re-register VUDU and Amazon as well, but if it hadn't fixed it it would have had to go back. People have had players get stuck in this state on several different platforms so it's nothing Panasonic specific.

Considering the Panny 220 and speedreading thru this thread. Could not help but mention that the 'stuck in this state' issue for NF sounds alot like throttling by NF - I had the same messaging last year on BB Insignia - kept switching to other titles to avoid issue. Thanx for tip on what may be a sorta permanent solution to what appears to be caused by NF.

jef with a Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5540, a Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMPBDT220 & a Panasonic 3D TCL42ET5 HDTV.

""Educate & inform the . . . people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson, 1787."

post #731 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 AM

Phew, guess Panny owners can post up a storm - 25 pages in just over a month! I remember one of my last Panny tv's & it was a gem - a B&W 13" TV I won in a school giveaway - oops TMI. Anyway, what I was looking for about the BDT220 was whether it has the browser App yet? An early page posting said no browser - however this news release link from CES sort of says Viera is getting big improvements in 2012 - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...136976738.html.

The report specifically states that the new updates will include the following Blu-ray Disc Players -- DMP-BBT01, DMP-BDT500, DMP-BDT320, DMP-BDT220

jef with a Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5540, a Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMPBDT220 & a Panasonic 3D TCL42ET5 HDTV.

""Educate & inform the . . . people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson, 1787."

post #732 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 AM

Thetu, you are correct in saying that the Panasonic press release most certainly specifies that the newer Blu-Ray players getting the web browser and other enhancements.

But after asking here, no one with the blu-ray players yet have access to the browser.

Of course, this may change by the day; I had asked a few weeks ago. I'm not buying into the Panasonic blu-ray players until this is straightened out.
post #733 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:

To use a "network drive" first you have to have a folder shared on your Windows machine. See this link for XP: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true and this link for Windows 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc770880.aspx. Then go to the network settings area on your 220 and find the "network drive connection" area. You'll need to supply your PC's IP address, the share name, and a username/password to use to connect. The username/password should match a username/password set up on the PC that has appropriate permissions for the shared drive.

Let me know if you need any of these steps explained in more detail.
post #734 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Nethawk - can you let me know what DLNA server you're using? So far I've been unsuccessful in getting the 220 to stream video from PS3 Media Server DLNA shares. The same files play fine from SMB shares.
post #735 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

(being rebuilt) until new Oppo models eventually release,

Why not just a better Oppo, the Cambridge 751?
post #736 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can anyone confirm either way if MKV files play with HD audio on the BDT-220? Also, can you plug in an external hard drive via USB? I was thinking of getting a Roku box (as I'd like to be able to play MKV files and watch Amazon Instant video) but now I think it may be smarter to pay a little more and get a 220 and replace my ancient DMP-BD30k (which still works perfectly).
post #737 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

I have a 220 on the way to replace a FAT PS3 that finally decided to die...can't wait! Thanks for the guidance on this player...can't believe what a value it is.

I made the same switch two weeks ago. The slower user interface takes a bit of getting used to but it's not a big deal. The BD playback improvements, especially in terms of picture quality, more than make up for it.

Oh, but I do miss not having to pay attention to where I point the remote. That's another thing the PS3 has going for it.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #738 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Looking to purchase BD 320 player for my home theater. Has anyone tried playing MKV files successfully from USB Flash drive (connected via USB port) formatted with NTFS (say 16GB Flash drive)
post #739 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsub View Post

Looking to purchase BD 320 player for my home theater. Has anyone tried playing MKV files successfully from USB Flash drive (connected via USB port) formatted with NTFS (say 16GB Flash drive)

Lots of posts about that already in this thread, particularly since NTFS is now supported which it wasn't on last year's players.

Scan through the thread or use search and you will see.
post #740 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Can anyone confirm either way if MKV files play with HD audio on the BDT-220? Also, can you plug in an external hard drive via USB? I was thinking of getting a Roku box (as I'd like to be able to play MKV files and watch Amazon Instant video) but now I think it may be smarter to pay a little more and get a 220 and replace my ancient DMP-BD30k (which still works perfectly).

Yes, I've played MKVs with DTS HD MA from an NTFS formatted usb drive.
post #741 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To use a "network drive" first you have to have a folder shared on your Windows machine. See this link for XP: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true and this link for Windows 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc770880.aspx. Then go to the network settings area on your 220 and find the "network drive connection" area. You'll need to supply your PC's IP address, the share name, and a username/password to use to connect. The username/password should match a username/password set up on the PC that has appropriate permissions for the shared drive.

Let me know if you need any of these steps explained in more detail.

Thanks! What is the share name? Is that the full path or just the folder name? And if I don't have a username or password do I need to create one?
post #742 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! What is the share name? Is that the full path or just the folder name? And if I don't have a username or password do I need to create one?

When you create a share you're asked to give it a friendly name.

No.

post #743 of 4212 Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:

It's the share name, NOT the full path. And you need to enter an actual Windows username/password. If you want, you can create a new user with access only to the video folders - and a password that doesn't expire. You can also just use your own Windows username/password.

Note, this is how it works on my 110, I assume it's the same on the new players. Otherwise someone please correct me.
post #744 of 4212 Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I skimmed through the entire thread but couldn't find whether the 220 turns off analog audio out when using 24p video over HDMI (as do the 110/210/310; I had to get a digital-to-analog converter to get it to work on my 110).

I would like to know this as well. Anyone tried analog audio and 24p with the 220 or 320?
post #745 of 4212 Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

It's the share name, NOT the full path. And you need to enter an actual Windows username/password. If you want, you can create a new user with access only to the video folders - and a password that doesn't expire. You can also just use your own Windows username/password.

Note, this is how it works on my 110, I assume it's the same on the new players. Otherwise someone please correct me.

I agree you should set a username/password. Generally speaking, you'll often run into permissions problems if you try accessing a share without a username/password - especially if you're using a more modern Windows version like Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Woody777 - if you're using Windows you already have a username, but you may not have a password assigned. You can go into the user accounts area in the control panel and set one, or create a new user account solely for accessing the share as Brandenborg states. You'll just have to make sure the account has read rights to the share.

When you create the share I recommend a short share name without spaces. To confirm the share name you can right click the folder, select "properties", and then select the "sharing" tab. The share name will be listed under "Network Path". For example, if your PC name was "pc01" and your share name was "share01", the network path would be listed as "\\\\pc01\\share01". You would enter "share01" (without quotes) as the share name in the 220's setup menus.

Woody777 - if you need more detailed instructions on the whole process feel free to PM me.
post #746 of 4212 Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes, I've played MKVs with DTS HD MA from an NTFS formatted usb drive.

Cool, thank you!
post #747 of 4212 Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree you should set a username/password. Generally speaking, you'll often run into permissions problems if you try accessing a share without a username/password - especially if you're using a more modern Windows version like Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Woody777 - if you're using Windows you already have a username, but you may not have a password assigned. You can go into the user accounts area in the control panel and set one, or create a new user account solely for accessing the share as Brandenborg states. You'll just have to make sure the account has read rights to the share.

When you create the share I recommend a short share name without spaces. To confirm the share name you can right click the folder, select "properties", and then select the "sharing" tab. The share name will be listed under "Network Path". For example, if your PC name was "pc01" and your share name was "share01", the network path would be listed as "\\\\pc01\\share01". You would enter "share01" (without quotes) as the share name in the 220's setup menus.

Woody777 - if you need more detailed instructions on the whole process feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys -- especially whitesoxwin! I'm following the steps from the link you provided, but when I get to the part where it says to click new share from the action menu, there is not an option for that. Any ideas?
post #748 of 4212 Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 AM

Got the dmp-bdt320 in my amazon cart and getting ready to order. Is there a particular SD card I need? Want to add this as well. Also i was hoping panasonic would put out there android remote app for ease of app log on. I saw that there is a paid app out there. Does anyone have any info on the planned arrival of the panny app? Think there maybe an app for last years players. If so is it compatible? Also if anyone has used the paid app can you comment on it. I used the sammy app on a player I returned and it was much better than scrolling the onscreen keyboard for log on info.
post #749 of 4212 Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 AM

^^
Search for posts in this thread by michaeltscott containing the word app. He has posted a few times about it, including the paid app.
post #750 of 4212 Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys -- especially whitesoxwin! I'm following the steps from the link you provided, but when I get to the part where it says to click new share from the action menu, there is not an option for that. Any ideas?

woody777 - sorry you're having trouble with this. I'm assuming you're following the Windows 7 sharing instructions? Forget them and try this:

I'd recommend keeping it simple and creating a folder on the "root" (highest level) of the computer's hard drive. In this example I'm going to give you the steps for creating and sharing a folder called "media" (path will be c:\\media). Note that the sharing wizard will name the share the same as the folder. You'll have fewer problems if you share a folder that doesn't have spaces in the name.

Open Windows Explorer (start menu -> "computer", or windows key -> "e"). Locate and open the C:\\ drive. You should see a list of folders. Right click empty space and choose "new" -> "folder". Name the folder "media". Right click the new media folder and choose "Share with"-> "Specific people". A window should open up that allows you to choose the user accounts on your PC you'd like to give sharing permissions to. By default the list should include the Administrators group and the account you're already logged in with. If you want to add a different user account (maybe one you created previously that will be used solely for sharing) you can type the user name and click the "add" button. When you're done adding users select the "share" button at the bottom of this page. You should see a screen saying "Your folder is shared.". You'll see the share listed below under "Individual Items". The folder name will be listed as "media" and the share path will be listed below it in the format "\\\\[your computer name]\\media".

Note that instead of using your computer name you can use the IP address to access the share from devices such as the 220. To obtain your computer's IP address you can open a command prompt and type "ipconfig" (then press enter). In the output, look for a line starting with "IPv4 Address". Most home networks use address is in the 192.168.1.X range.

The 220 will want the IP address and the share name (in this case "media") and the username/password of one of the accounts you have listed in the sharing wizard we just went through.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page