Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post

I think that the only thing that would cause me to get the 320 over keeping the 220 would be if it were whisper quiet with the slot load as opposed to the tray. Otherwise, the remote touch pad seems largely unnecessary.

I don't think a slot drive has anything to do with how quiet a unit is. You can find plenty of videos on youtube demonstrating how noisy the PS3 Slim can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Just downloaded the Android app for the 220, so now I have the touch screen option available. Don't expect I'll use it very much though. Gee, with a phone app, buying the 320 seems expensive when your only paying more for the design, slot load, and remote. To me, the 220 is the better deal function, and price wise. Oh, and the 220 gives you the remote eject button too FWIW.
post #813 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonRetina5000 View Post

I don't think a slot drive has anything to do with how quiet a unit is. You can find plenty of videos on youtube demonstrating how noisy the PS3 Slim can be.

True enough. My old BD85 was more quiet than these newer models.
post #814 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 PM

In case anyone was wondering I found today that the 220 will play MKVs with MPEG 2 video ripped straight from a DVD source (with MakeMKV) over both wifi and usb.
post #815 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxwin View Post

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. I'm not sure what you mean by "Blu-ray MKV". MKV is just a container which can contain all kinds of different video types. Are we talking about AVC video ripped right from the blu-ray without any additional compression? I've successfully played back a number of MKVs where the original source was blu-ray. They've all had some type of additional video compression applied, though.

Yeah, I meant using MakeMKV with a blu-ray disc and ripping straight to MKV, otherwise completely untouched. I don't compress or alter the file any other way.
post #816 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think handbrake can do it: http://handbrake.fr/ There would be a small loss in quality, but not much if your settings are right.

Transcoding defeats the purpose of using MakeMKV. I use MakeMKV because it's idiot proof and super fast because it's a straight copy of the material.
post #817 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

Transcoding defeats the purpose of using MakeMKV. I use MakeMKV because it's idiot proof and super fast because it's a straight copy of the material.

Yeah, if you're using MakeMKV for that purpose then the 220 wouldn't be a good option. There are too many blu-rays that use VC-1.
post #818 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post

Just downloaded the Android app for the 220, so now I have the touch screen option available. Don't expect I'll use it very much though. Gee, with a phone app, buying the 320 seems expensive when your only paying more for the design, slot load, and remote. To me, the 220 is the better deal function, and price wise. Oh, and the 220 gives you the remote eject button too FWIW.

Here's the Google play link for anyone looking: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Vtb3RlMjAxMiJd
post #819 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1528golf View Post

Just got a 220 and I get these white lines flashing thru the screen starting at the bottom and moving up to the top, and then the whole screen will flash white every once in a while. Anyone know what would cause this or did i just get a POS.

I had the same problem, here's my fix:

I connected the BDT220 using the same HDMI cable running from Onkyo TX-SR706B into Monoprice FullHD HDMI 1-In x 2-Out powered Splitter. 1-Out feeds Insignia 50" 720P plasma, 2-Out feeds Optoma HD20 1080p projector. I then ran Setup on the BDT 220, let it Auto update the firmware to 1.22 and played Bluray copy of TinTin. I immediately noticed an intermitten white flashing on the lower part of the display on Insignia 50" 720P plasma. So I swapped the HDMI cable and got the same result. Then I bypassed the Monoprice HDMI switch, and white flashing continued. Then I did a hard Factory reset, same flashing still occured. This flashing did not occur on the Panny BD85.

Wait-a-minute...I just unhooked the direct feed HDMI from Onkyo to 50" plasma. Hooked it back into the HDMI switch and it plays fine now. Only thing I can figure is that the flat type HDMI cable may not have made a solid connection on the HDMI Out port on the Onkyo. (Strain Relief issue?)

Good luck,
sgibson
post #820 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, if you're using MakeMKV for that purpose then the 220 wouldn't be a good option. There are too many blu-rays that use VC-1.

Thank you. Shame. I love my DMP-BD30 and I liked my DMP-BD35 that I sold
post #821 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 PM

Liked: 21
Did anybody actually try to remux a VC-1 into MKV and play it? Sounds like we just assume it doesn't work. Apologize if I'm wrong...
post #822 of 4234 Old 03-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

Did anybody actually try to remux a VC-1 into MKV and play it? Sounds like we just assume it doesn't work. Apologize if I'm wrong...

It doesn't work for me...
post #823 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

It doesn't work for me...

Ok, cool, thanks. With the 2011 players we saw that most incompatibilities were with the MKV container, not the encode itself. Fortunately it seems the new players are better in that regard. But if I had one, I would try and make a VC-1 MKV with the same strict rules as for the 2011 players. In particular without header removal compression. Just a thought.
post #824 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

Ok, cool, thanks. With the 2011 players we saw that most incompatibilities were with the MKV container, not the encode itself. Fortunately it seems the new players are better in that regard. But if I had one, I would try and make a VC-1 MKV with the same strict rules as for the 2011 players. In particular without header removal compression. Just a thought.

So far some MKVs work -- just not the ones with VC-1. I didn't have a 2011 player so I have no idea what the rules were or what header removal compression means. It's a bummer because so many of my BDs use VC-1. I wouldn't say that it's impossible, but so far out of the box the 220 can't play MKVs with VC-1 (simple main movie, highest quality audio track ripped with MakeMKV).
post #825 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

So far some MKVs work -- just not the ones with VC-1. I didn't have a 2011 player so I have no idea what the rules were or what header removal compression means. It's a bummer because so many of my BDs use VC-1. I wouldn't say that it's impossible, but so far out of the box the 220 can't play MKVs with VC-1 (simple main movie, highest quality audio track ripped with MakeMKV).

Yes, I think you are right in that case. Still, I'd try to remux a VC-1 as described in the post linked below (either remux existing MKV or even straight from BD). Who knows, maybe there is some little glitch where the player is more restrictive with VC-1s or whatever. I'm just saying it's worth a shot.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21190548
post #826 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Is there any way to make the DMP-BDT 320 region free? For the predecessor there was a custom firmware which did exactly that...
post #827 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisto View Post

Is there any way to make the DMP-BDT 320 region free? For the predecessor there was a custom firmware which did exactly that...

Have you tried the remote hack that worked on the older models? You do realize that custom FW cost nearly as much as the player and that a region-free Insignia is about $40 on ebay, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #828 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Just installed dmp-bdt320 and learning my way around it coming from samsung players. So far i've installed firmware update, tested a blu-ray "drive", and setup netflix. I'll have some questions but here is my 1st. I had to set bd-video secondary audio to off in order to get dts hd master output to my onkyo tx-nr609. What will this affect? Not even sure what bd-video secondary audio is. Before i did this my avy only showed dts.
post #829 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmike View Post

Just installed dmp-bdt320 and learning my way around it coming from samsung players. So far i've installed firmware update, tested a blu-ray "drive", and setup netflix. I'll have some questions but here is my 1st. I had to set bd-video secondary audio to off in order to get dts hd master output to my onkyo tx-nr609. What will this affect? Not even sure what bd-video secondary audio is. Before i did this my avy only showed dts.

It's teh audio when using the special commentary during movie playback. Personally, I think it's the stupidest thing anyone ever came up with. I just want to watch the movie. If I want to hear the director, I'll go to the speical features. SAmsung calls it bitstream audiophile.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #830 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:

I had to set bd-video secondary audio to off in order to get dts hd master output to my onkyo tx-nr609. What will this affect? Not even sure what bd-video secondary audio is. Before i did this my avy only showed dts.

It's interactive audio mixed into the main audio which can be turned on and off, like directors comments. It can't mix that into the HD audio encodings, so you have to disable it to get those bitstreamed.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #831 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's interactive audio mixed into the main audio which can be turned on and off, like directors comments. It can't mix that into the HD audio encodings, so you have to disable it to get those bitstreamed.

Ok, guess it's no deal breaker. Like having netflix play dd +. Getting ready to program my harmony 700. Thought I read you have to program last years model dmp-bdt210 or 310 to have it work. Not sure which one yet. Tried to use phone app to setup pandora account but couldn't seem to do it using phone keyboard. Maybe it's something I did wrong. Set it up with supplied remote which wasn't too bad. Did the same for netflix account. Guess i'll figure that part out down the road. Got to get the harmony setup before g-friend gets home. Don't think she'll like the panny remote. I have to set it up anyway to have control over avr and bd player anyway under activities. So far no complaints. Just used to samsung I guess. Giving panny a try.
post #832 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Have you tried the remote hack that worked on the older models? You do realize that custom FW cost nearly as much as the player and that a region-free Insignia is about $40 on ebay, right?

I don't own the player yet. Considering I have to import this Insignia player to Europe the shipping costs would be quite hefty (plus 20% custom duties). So I am looking for a one-stop solution which I can also buy over here.
post #833 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Has anyone successfully programed their Harmony remotes to work the functions of the touch-pad remote? Was discussed a while back but don't think anyone confirmed it yet?

I just use the 220 model instead in the Harmony database and it works totally fine.

~ Gary

)

post #834 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Oh boy here we go. Testing 1st netflix movie on dmp-bdt320 and having audio sync issue playing insidious. Sounds good with dd + but would like for it to be in sync with video. Think i read in this thread about changing something related to bd-live. I'll investigate. If all else fails i'll put my samsung bd-p3600 back in. Tried (2) samsung bd-d6700 with one of them not playing a brand new dvd and one not playing netflix. This panny has played both so i'll give it that so far.
post #835 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I just use the 220 model instead in the Harmony database and it works totally fine.

The 220 model doesn't have the touch-pad remote so how do you know that the Harmony will do all the same commands as those in the touch-pad?

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #836 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

The 220 model doesn't have the touch-pad remote so how do you know that the Harmony will do all the same commands as those in the touch-pad?

Hmmm..... I'm not sure what special "touch pad" command the 320 remote could do. But I just need the regular cursor command <- ->, enter/select, etc. that the touch pad do. AFAIK, it seems to have all the commands that the 320 needs included 3D, Netflix, etc. (and I just program those button on the soft key on my Harmony 900)

~ Gary

)

post #837 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Oh boy here we go. Testing 1st netflix movie on dmp-bdt320 and having audio sync issue playing insidious. Sounds good with dd + but would like for it to be in sync with video. Think i read in this thread about changing something related to bd-live. I'll investigate. If all else fails i'll put my samsung bd-p3600 back in. Tried (2) samsung bd-d6700 with one of them not playing a brand new dvd and one not playing netflix. This panny has played both so i'll give it that so far.

Going back to best buy. Try again another day. Continue to fight the good fight gentlemen. By the way I updated wired, fyi.
post #838 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Going back to best buy. Try again another day. Continue to fight the good fight gentlemen. By the way I updated wired, fyi.

Pulled old sammy bd-p3600 back in and resumed playback of insidious. No audio sync issue. Real shame since the dd+ was awesome in the panny. Just don't have enough time to wait on firmware updates to fix. Won't have time to test for the next couple of weeks or wait for firmware updates. 30 return policy you know. wait until later in the year for things to settle. Glad for everybody not having issues. This is player # 3 in the last couple of weeks. (2) sammys and (1) panny. Sheesh, wish they can get this figured out.
post #839 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisto View Post

I don't own the player yet. Considering I have to import this Insignia player to Europe the shipping costs would be quite hefty (plus 20% custom duties). So I am looking for a one-stop solution which I can also buy over here.

I see. Sorry I was assuming US. If you don't get a better answer, the same hack has worked for years, especially on non-US players. So chances are good it will also work on the new models.

post #840 of 4234 Old 04-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Pulled old sammy bd-p3600 back in and resumed playback of insidious. No audio sync issue. Real shame since the dd+ was awesome in the panny. Just don't have enough time to wait on firmware updates to fix. Won't have time to test for the next couple of weeks or wait for firmware updates. 30 return policy you know. wait until later in the year for things to settle. Glad for everybody not having issues. This is player # 3 in the last couple of weeks. (2) sammys and (1) panny. Sheesh, wish they can get this figured out.

Just turn off BD Live and power cycle the player. You'll be good to go.

That's what i did and it worked.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page