Built-in WiFiBuilt-in WiFiBuilt-in WiFi
Smartphone RemoteSmartphone RemoteSmartphone Remote
Touch Pad RemoteTouch Pad Remote
Smart Eco Sensor
Multi User ModeMulti User ModeMulti User Mode
VIERA LinkVIERA LinkVIERA Link
Slot-in Drive
Ultra fast Boot & Load Ultra fast Boot & LoadUltra fast Boot & Load
Low Power Consum.Low Power Consum.Low Power Consum.
Ultra Slim Design
Energy Star QualifiedEnergy Star QualifiedEnergy Star Qualified

I can't get the table rows to line-up correctly but my current DMP-BDT 300 is giving me loading issues probably because I watch a movie a day and it's been almost two years. I'm looking at the possibility of getting a 2012 model. I'm interested in the items that are highlighted in RED if anyone has good information on them.

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21689814

As I said, the Let the Right One In quick test is pretty definitive all by itself (try it) and I performed my usual bandwidth consumption test using the bandwidth graphing feature of my router's firmware. I measure bandwidth consumed during playback of minutes 5 thru 14 of Ong Bak 2 (a very encoder challenging sequence of martial arts battle in the rain). On the BDT220, this consumed 440.8 MB (including unplayed content in its buffer) for an overall average of 6162.6 Kpbs (in line with what I see from the PS3); on the BDT110, this consumed 306.8 MB for an overall average of 4289.2 Kbps. It's playing the 1080p encodings, on my box at least.

Except that it now lists and can play the small collection of 3D VUDU titles.

In Setup->Player Settings->Video->HDMI Output, there's a "24p Output" on/off setting--if you set that to ON do you get persistent 24p? Not having a television capable of accepting 24p, I can't test.

xcept that it now lists and can play the small collection of 3D VUDU titles.

that is very interesting. you would think that the panasonic 2011 models could do that.

how do you like the player over all?

Jacob

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21689814

In Setup->Player Settings->Video->HDMI Output, there's a "24p Output" on/off setting--if you set that to ON do you get persistent 24p? Not having a television capable of accepting 24p, I can't test.

Right. Thats for Bluray only.

For all other media and streaming, it manually has to be set by selecting options > video > 24p on/off once the media starts.

How do I like the player ?

Yea, its fine. So far and with the current firmware I see very little difference between the 210.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21689934

Right. Thats for Bluray only.

For all other media and streaming, it manually has to be set by selecting options > video > 24p on/off once the media starts.

How do I like the player ?

Yea, its fine. So far and with the current firmware I see very little difference between the 210.

do you own the t2:skynet edition blu ray?

I had trouble playing mine on the 210. was wondering if it has the same issue.

he gets hung up when you leave it in the player.

Jacob

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 /forum/post/21689836

xcept that it now lists and can play the small collection of 3D VUDU titles.

that is very interesting. you would think that the panasonic 2011 models could do that.

Yes, you would have thought that it would, but it didn't. There was a guy in the other thread who repeatedly asked whether they added that after every update.
Quote:
how do you like the player over all?

I'm unhappy that it doesn't play 5.1 sound from the limited selection of Amazon titles which have it, but its Netflix player is superior to the Roku 2's, since it supports all of the Netflix features (1080p/5.1/CC) and lacks some bugs and limitations that the Roku 2 has. The Roku 2 cannot see that some titles have HD encodings and/or 5.1 sound; the HD thing isn't too serious, since you'll get the HD encodings whether the description says that they're there or not, but if it doesn't know that there's available 5.1 sound it won't put it on the title's "Audio and subtitles" menu (or not put the menu in its top dialog at all. Since the Roku 2 cannot process DD+ (probably to save licensing), it doesn't select it by default, like all the other 5.1 capable Netflix players that I have do. It doesn't because it can't be confident that the connected device can handle DD+. Consequently you have to select it every time. Very annoying, particularly when you're watching multiple episodes of a TV series, since you have to select DD+ again after every episode.

I think that I'll keep it.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21690076

No. I don't have that bluray. I did try Jurassic park but it seemed to get hung up on some initial bdlive content. Player locked up so I restarted it and it played through fine second time.

Both bd and DVD upscale pictures are great ... No surprise there.

I dont own the jurrasic park series yet. I cannt comment on that. I will get the set someday down the road.

Jacob

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman /forum/post/21689750

Def. looking forward to BD and DVD PQ reviews!

I just finished checking out my BDT220 against my Oppo BDP95.

Started off with some 2 channel stereo just for fun. I run my 95 through a Parasound Halo C2 AVR and a Parasound HCA 1205A amp that are hooked to PSB Stratus Silver mains. Needless to say the Oppo smoked the panny but that's what it's primarily made for....... audiophile audio so no surprise here. I will say that the panny did sound good but things like cymbals and ambience sounds such as waves crashing at the shore just didn't have much behind them. OK, enough of the ridiculous.....on to the video aspects.

I compared the two players using the same HDMI cable hooked to my callibrated Sony 60EX500 in a darkened room. I started with my Avatar disc for bluray comparison and must say that the panny looked great, albeit maybe a little oversaturated in the color dept. as was evidenced by the neon forest scenes in the "Neytiri" chapter. I wasn't expecting much of a difference and that's exactly what I got.

DVD was a slightly different story....... I used Pearl Harbor and concentrated on chapters 22 and 23, the battle/bombing scenes. Whereas the Oppo looked slightly better, it wasn't by much. Detail was a little crisper with the Oppo as evidenced by the people scurrying around on the deck of the Arizona just before the bomb hits the ship. Color seemed a bit deeper and more natural with the Oppo as well but not by much. Bomb blasts were more contrasty with the orange fire against the black smoke slightly more vivid.

I only played with these two machines for about 2 hours and am quite surprised at how well this little panny performs against the far more expensive Oppo. This is my first panny so I can't compare it to previous models but I will say that for $150.00, it seems well worth the price.

#63 ·
I'm glad you were able to make sense of any portion of the review. Aside from it's claim that dvd's look "spectacular," it's unclear whether the reviewer believes BD's look any better on this year's player. Superlatives are tossed around with abandon, but it's unclear if the reviewer ever makes a direct comparison between the 210 and 220 for BD PQ.

edit: the review concludes that both 3D BD and DVD performance are markedly better. It makes no such claim about 2D BD performance.

#65 ·
Hi All,

Can anyone comment on streaming of mkv files from a NAS drive (with subtitles) from the 220

I have a mixture of mkv files ~15Gb each and a selection of full lossless copies of bluray (40Gb+) with HD sound in mkv format.

This would be the main purpose for me.

Thanks,

Ciaran

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman /forum/post/21690428

That's really not a fair comparison: $1300 for the oppo.

Actually, the Oppo 95 is $999.00 direct from their website. I agree that comparing the two is unfair but rest assured, the panny actually surprised the heck out of me as to how good it stood up the the way more expensive Oppo. It simply looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit26.2 /forum/post/21690721

Much of the reason I'm looking to upgrade from my Panny DMP-BD35 is for the speed increase. Will someone comment on the operation and loading times for the 220 and 320?

As I stated in my earlier post, this is my first panny player so I can't compare directly. BUT, I did do some comparisons with the Oppo 95 and comparing load times for my Avatar extended version blu-ray disc, the panny beat the Oppo.

From pushing the "open/close" button the times went as followed;

The first 20th Century logo that comes up;

BDT220 - :57

BDP95 - 1:00

Top Menu screen;

BDT 220 - 1:35

BDP 95 - 1:45

This panny is a great performer visually and if I didn't have the need for a player with excellent analog sound outputs, this BDT220 would fill the bill quite nicely.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman /forum/post/21690555

I'm glad you were able to make sense of any portion of the review. Aside from it's claim that dvd's look "spectacular," it's unclear whether the reviewer believes BD's look any better on this year's player. Superlatives are tossed around with abandon, but it's unclear if the reviewer ever makes a direct comparison between the 210 and 220 for BD PQ.

edit: the review concludes that both 3D BD and DVD performance are markedly better. It makes no such claim about 2D BD performance.

I really need, personally, a dependable comparison between the pq of the 220 and 210 in a very short time, because I am deciding whether to pick up the 215 which comes with the Avatar 3d bonus, or to go for the 220.... My main concern is PQ (for 3D/BD and DVD, as well as the 2d-->3d conversion, although this latter requirement is not as important)... I do not really care that much for the other Viera connect or viera cast bells and whistles including the streaming apps since I have a ton of other gadgets including panasonic plasmas which give me all the streaming I need (Frankly, I am getting rather sick with all the recent overkill of apps that are besieging us on all gadgets, most of which redundantly duplicate one another or offer services I will never, ever, use but I digress)...

I currently have a 210 which impresses me a lot in the PQ department (except in the area of 2d-3d conversion, which I do not particularly fancy anyway)... I need another bd player to go with another TV and will consider going for the 220 if it beats the pants off the 210 in 3D/BD and DVD pq. However, if the differences in pq involves one of those variables that are not even discernible to the naked eye, then I would much rather pick up the 215 and enjoy another AVATAR 3d discount...

Any suggestions in helping me decide would be very warmly appreciated. Thanks, and good day.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen /forum/post/21691736

I really need, personally, a dependable comparison between the pq of the 220 and 210 in a very short time, because I am deciding whether to pick up the 215 which comes with the Avatar 3d bonus, or to go for the 220.... My main concern is PQ (for 3D/BD and DVD, as well as the 2d-->3d conversion, although this latter requirement is not as important)... I do not really care that much for the other Viera connect or viera cast bells and whistles including the streaming apps since I have a ton of other gadgets including panasonic plasmas which give me all the streaming I need (Frankly, I am getting rather sick with all the recent overkill of apps that are besieging us on all gadgets, most of which redundantly duplicate one another or offer services I will never, ever, use but I digress)...

I currently have a 210 which impresses me a lot in the PQ department (except in the area of 2d-3d conversion, which I do not particularly fancy anyway)... I need another bd player to go with another TV and will consider going for the 220 if it beats the pants off the 210 in 3D/BD and DVD pq. However, if the differences in pq involves one of those variables that are not even discernible to the naked eye, then I would much rather pick up the 215 and enjoy another AVATAR 3d discount...

Any suggestions in helping me decide would be very warmly appreciated. Thanks, and good day.

I seriously doubt the PQ on BD and DVD will be any different. The new players so far hasn't impressed me in any way. For that matter, I'm actually consider pick up a 310 dula-HDMI player when price is right because I don't want to pay $$$ for BDT500 for the analog 7.1 audio that I don't need but dual-HDMI output I do need.

For those who already have the 220, please check out the DLNA feature and video playback from USB to see if it can support more formats than last years model. 110/210/310 are rather very picky on video formats when it comes to streaming or play from USB storage.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/21691778

I seriously doubt the PQ on BD and DVD will be any different. The new players so far hasn't impressed me in any way. For that matter, I'm actually consider pick up a 310 dula-HDMI player when price is right because I don't want to pay $$$ for BDT500 for the analog 7.1 audio that I don't need but dual-HDMI output I do need.

For those who already have the 220, please check out the DLNA feature and video playback from USB to see if it can support more formats than last years model. 110/210/310 are rather very picky on video formats when it comes to streaming or play from USB storage.

I couldn't tell the difference. Bluray looked awesome as they did on the 210. DVDs looked very good ... i mean there's only so much that can be done ... but looked great. Certainly better than my old Denon DVD with up-scaling and PS3 (for DVD). But again, its all subjective .. what some eyes may see, other may not.

As far as load times, I didn't really notice much difference either. Excellent as before.

In any case, I've decided to return the player. For me, I was after a all-in-one streamer/bluray. With streaming being the priority. Although it's an acceptable streamer with (I think) the netflix flicker issue worked out, I didn't notice the 1080p quality that Michael above noted. I was also disappointed not to see Amazon offered in 5.1.

However, the nail in the coffin, was Hulu Plus. Its the same mess as it was on the 210. And in my eyes that's unacceptable. If Hulu plus was a brand new app, I wouldn't have being so critical, however its being around since Summer 2011, so Panasonic has had ample time to sort it out. But they haven't, and for that reason, its going back.

Again, though my requirements for the player, are probably different from others ... so bear that in mind with my comment and reasons.

The search continues for the "all-in-one" !

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 /forum/post/21692088

I didn't notice the 1080p quality that Michael above noted.

Did you try the Let the Right One In test (hard subtitle above the letterbox disappear when it gets to the 1080p encoding)? Please do before you return it (unless of course you already have returned it). I'd like to know whether you were actually getting the 1080p encodings or not.

The difference between Netflix 1080p and 720p can be subtle. I posted some pointers to frames to compare here in the other thread. I don't to use the Netflix player in my launch model PS3 because (a) it can't bitstream DD+ and (b) it draws massive amounts of power and produces fan noise.

I too am disappointed in no 5.1 Amazon but I don't use Hulu Plus (tried it for a while and didn't care for it) so I don't require the ability to play that at all from a streamer.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/21692421

Did you try the Let the Right One In test (hard subtitle above the letterbox disappear when it gets to the 1080p encoding)? Please do before you return it (unless of course you already have returned it). I'd like to know whether you were actually getting the 1080p encodings or not.

The difference between Netflix 1080p and 720p can be subtle. I posted some pointers to frames to compare here in the other thread. I don't to use the Netflix player in my launch model PS3 because (a) it can't bitstream DD+ and (b) it draws massive amounts of power and produces fan noise.

I too am disappointed in no 5.1 Amazon but I don't use Hulu Plus (tried it for a while and didn't care for it) so I don't require the ability to play that at all from a streamer.

Sorry ... its gone back ! I was up into the late hours doing a/b testing between ps3 and 220. I have a largish 110" screen and Panasonic AE-4000 projector. The ps3 x-high image appeared to me to be sharper and more detailed ... per the pics you posted in your link.

As I said though, it was Hulu that got me annoyed and the reason for its return !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.