Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

Well, I was going to ask if someone had both the sony 590 and Panasonic 220. You are in a perfect position to give feedback on which player has the best picture quality. So, what is the verdict? BR is most important, but any notes on DVD PQ is also welcome...

My opinion: the 220 PQ is great. The Sony PQ is sublime - deep and rich colors. Remember, Sony originated blu ray technology. I've got a second 590 on order. Impressed with the PQ.

Oh, and I tested DVD play with Memphis Belle. Excellent reproduction on the Sony. Panasonic is excellent as well. Sony, maybe a little better. Blu ray? Sony better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post

My opinion: the 220 PQ is great. The Sony PQ is sublime - deep and rich colors. Remember, Sony originated blu ray technology. I've got a second 590 on order. Impressed with the PQ.

Oh, and I tested DVD play with Memphis Belle. Excellent reproduction on the Sony. Panasonic is excellent as well. Sony, maybe a little better. Blu ray? Sony better.

How about streaming quality of Netflix and Vudu on the Sony vs the Panasonic? Also does the Sony stream Netflix in 1080p like the Panasonic does?
post #903 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

How about streaming quality of Netflix and Vudu on the Sony vs the Panasonic? Also does the Sony stream Netflix in 1080p like the Panasonic does?

Watched a portion of WWII in HD on Netflix. EXTRA HI/HD. clear and true on a 1080p Panny LED using a wireless connection. That's all I've done so far. Haven't tried VUDU.
post #904 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks for the info, tenashus1. I think when the sony hits the $120-ish price point, I will be ordering.
post #905 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I can't tell any difference between the PQ and AQ of the Sony and Panasonic VOD players. And yes, the Sony Netflix player does do 1080p, DD+ 5.1 sound and CC/subtitles--the UI is identical to the one on the BDT220 and close to the one on the PS3. The other thing that I like about the S390's Netflix player is that it features the info overlay, activated by the DISPLAY button, which tells you exactly what quality video encoding you're currently receiving--only the PS3 has something like that that I've seen (well, the Xbox player has 3 bars and an "HD" icon on the progress bar overlay updated in realtime). In addition, the S390's Amazon player, which has a horrible ugly and poorly laid out UI and incredible slow stream start times, does play DD 5.1 sound from titles which have it. Still, it's so bad that I'll be keeping my Roku 2 until such a time as they replace it.

The Sony's Netflix player has fairly poor stream start times as well (no faster than 15 seconds for me), but its speed of UI navigation is what sold it to me. In particular its speed of navigating the episode submenus for television series, which is so lagged on the BDT220 that I often overshoot my goal and start playing the wrong episode. The Netflix player is where I'll spend 80%+ of my time and I watch a lot of TV series in it.

I also like the XMB better than the system GUI on the BDT220. It's a pity that nothing does all of these streaming services well.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #906 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:

The big question I have is, which one is quieter? According to this review, the S590 has no fan, and is virtually silent with the exception of loading discs. Is this true in your experience? Oh, and which one is faster? Panasonic destroyed the competition last year in regards to disc load times.
post #907 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Is it true that the Panasonic's have the ablity to move the subtitles up for those of us who have projectors with scope screens? Do the new Sonys have such a feature? Do both players have similar zoom features? Thanks.
post #908 of 4212 Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 PM

I wound up deciding to keep my BDT220 since the general consensus is that it has the best DVD upscaling short of Oppo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The clincher is that navigation of its Netflix player is so much quicker. At one point I decided that it didn't so much matter since you can hit OK or PLAY on the BDT220's Netflix player before it updates the title info panel, but if you're trying to navigate the menu for a television series to select an episode it's just unbearably slow--so slow that it's easy to trip yourself up and make mistakes.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems with this. I'm hoping they update the Netflix application. For now, I've got a Roku2 XD, which is much more responsive.

Quote:

To its credit over the BDT220, it can play the DD 5.1 sound on titles for which its available.

The BDT220 can't play 5.1 sound from Amazon Prime? That's insane considering that it's one of the few players that can do the DD+ 5.1 sound from Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

The lack of 5Ghz N wifi is also a minus for me- don't understand why they didn't include it, it's not that much more expensive.

So THAT'S why it thinks my network is g instead of n. My Airport Extreme is feeding 802.11n over the 5GHz band and 802.11g over the 2.4GHz band. Mystery solved.
post #909 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

I generally go to the extreme end, like .254 ... unless you have a TON of devices, or your DHCP server doesn't assign numbers moving up from 1, there shouldn't be a problem.

The better thing to do is go in and set the DHCP range to like 50 or 100 addresses, and then just start using the next available one.

Yep, this is what I do.

Another technique that may help folks with connection issues, use DHCP then go into the router and reserve that address for your device so that it doesn't have to negotiate a lease at startup.

post #910 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

The lack of 5Ghz N wifi is also a minus for me- don't understand why they didn't include it, it's not that much more expensive. Due to a remodel I'm moving all the stuff to a room without Ethernet hard wiring at all, and wifi is going to be the only way for the 210 (and my wdtv live!) to connect for a month or so.

Supporting both frequencies requires two radios. It's more a matter of space than expense.

Why do you think you need the extra bandwidth? Unless you have 8 players simultaneously streaming G is more than enough.

post #911 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comparison with the Sony, the two would appear to be very similar in PQ, with a slight nod to the Sony for functionality. I kind of wish I had gone with Sony now only for SACD support, although I'm perfectly happy with the 320. The plan all along was to use the 320 in my main theater until new Oppos come out but that may be awhile and until then I'm going to miss my multichannel music.

post #912 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 AM

If it's any consolation, this blog rates the panasonic 320 and 220 respectively as the second and third best blu ray player values on the market:

http://bluray-players.net/top-10-blu-ray-players/

There is no rating for the sony 2012 players, such as the 590, so the ratings may have to be shuffled when their 2012 players are reviewed.
post #913 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonRetina5000 View Post

The big question I have is, which one is quieter? According to this review, the S590 has no fan, and is virtually silent with the exception of loading discs. Is this true in your experience? Oh, and which one is faster? Panasonic destroyed the competition last year in regards to disc load times.

I had a problem with the first 220 I received. I heard a perceptible gulping sound periodically which was more pronounced with DVDs playing. The second one is quiet. The Sony has a very slight constant hum, but it's not at all disturbing or I would have returned it. The 220 loads discs a bit faster, in my opinion, than the 590, but that's not scientific. I think though that the Panny has the edge there.
post #914 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Thanks for the comparison with the Sony, the two would appear to be very similar in PQ, with a slight nod to the Sony for functionality. I kind of wish I had gone with Sony now only for SACD support, although I'm perfectly happy with the 320. The plan all along was to use the 320 in my main theater until new Oppos come out but that may be awhile and until then I'm going to miss my multichannel music.

Honestly, I think the Sony PQ is better. Might just be me though.
post #915 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiwyn View Post

The BDT220 can't play 5.1 sound from Amazon Prime? That's insane considering that it's one of the few players that can do the DD+ 5.1 sound from Netflix.

Forum member Ranger One (TechoftheHub.com blogger) says that his sources have indicated that there is a new Amazon player coming for this year's models, presumably with 5.1 sound support (it's already pretty nice, so what else would they be doing). When it will show up is unknown. For me, that won't make up for the BDT220's Netflix player's television episode menu navigation lag.

post #916 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks for the comparison with the Sony, the two would appear to be very similar in PQ, with a slight nod to the Sony for functionality. I kind of wish I had gone with Sony now only for SACD support, although I'm perfectly happy with the 320.

Which recent Sony blu-ray player will also play SACD audio discs?

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #917 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:

I had a problem with the first 220 I received. I heard a perceptible gulping sound periodically which was more pronounced with DVDs playing. The second one is quiet. The Sony has a very slight constant hum, but it's not at all disturbing or I would have returned it. The 220 loads discs a bit faster, in my opinion, than the 590, but that's not scientific. I think though that the Panny has the edge there.

Is your second 220 quieter than the Sony 590?
post #918 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

Which recent Sony blu-ray player will also play SACD audio discs?

The 590. Not certain on the 390.

post #919 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The 590. Not certain on the 390.

The 390 does everything the 590 does except 3D video (or display things on an exterior LED).

post #920 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 390 does everything the 590 does except 3D video (or display things on an exterior LED).

You are correct, I just verified that both Sony players support SACD.

post #921 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Does the S590 stream Vudu 3D?

Edit: Never mind. According to the 590 thread, no Vudu 3D. But 3D movies are available for streaming via Video Unlimited. Does anybody know how much they charge? Is it by month like Netflix, or by movie like Vudu?
post #922 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonRetina5000 View Post

Is your second 220 quieter than the Sony 590?

A touch quieter, but it may vary from player to player
post #923 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Forum member Ranger One (TechoftheHub.com blogger) says that his sources have indicated that there is a new Amazon player coming for this year's models, presumably with 5.1 sound support (it's already pretty nice, so what else would they be doing). When it will show up is unknown. For me, that won't make up for the BDT220's Netflix player's television episode menu navigation lag.

That would be really nice. I hope they get DD+ working on Amazon soon.
post #924 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SireTV View Post

That would be really nice. I hope they get DD+ working on Amazon soon.

No DD+ like Netflix on Amazon, just basic DD. Pretty decent anyway.

post #925 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM

I just received a 220 from Amazon today, mostly for its ability to stream MLBtv. A reoccurring problem I am having in the early going is it keeps dropping the sound. When I first plugged it in I fired up Netflix to make sure my wireless connection was working. Video came up but no audio. I unplugged my hdmi and plugged it back in and, presto, it worked. But then when I exited Netflix and went in to MLBtv, audio was gone again. Unplugged hdmi, plugged back in....worked. Then I exited my MLB app, went back in to MLB and, you guessed it, audio out again.

Everything else seems to be working fine, but I seriously doubt I am going to be plugging and unplugging my hdmi everytime I want to watch Netflix or baseball. I checked through this thread and didn't see anybody else complaining of anything similar....what could be causing this?

I have the player hooked to my TV with an hdmi and I also have an optical hooked to my surround sound....but just to watch baseball I don't usually have the surround on....

I'm not the most audio-video savvy, but I'm not completely ignorant either....am I overlooking something obvious?
post #926 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Liked: 21
^^
This sounds eerily like a problem I have with my Panny 110 connected to a Mitsubishi DLP: HDMI audio drops out in some apps, but not others. In Netflix I have HDMI audio on HD content, but not SD content.

The solution for me was to drop Color Mode (under HDMI connection settings - at least on x10 players) from the default YCbCr 4:4:4 to 4:2:2. Alternatively I can disable Deep Color, but that has more visible effect on PQ. Dropping the color mode is almost imperceptible.

Both of these settings affect HDMI bandwidth, and if they fix it, you should try another HDMI cable. It could be as simple as that.

I would expect Panasonic to have addressed these HDMI issues in the 2012 players, so maybe your problem is entirely different.
post #927 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Good looking out on the quick reply.
Again, like I said, not the most a/v savvy, certainly wouldn't have thought about adjusting visual settings to influence audio settings, even though I know they are both connected through the same cable.
I'll give that a try, and I probably have another hdmi cable hanging around as well. Too bad it doesn't have a component hook up too, as that would be an easy way to test and see if it was my hdmi cable.
post #928 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked: 21
^^
I actually use analog audio to feed stereo speakers. That works for everything (even when hdmi audio doesn't). Except a few BDs that have analog audio disabled.

But again, it may be something completely different on your player.
post #929 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 PM

There seems to be enormous interest in these panasonic players (nearly 1K posts). Either these are the buggiest players in the world requiring endless troubleshooting, or they are finest players in the world, deserving of some gentle tweaking due to some outstanding features. Or, both?
post #930 of 4212 Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 PM

What resolution is MKV played back from usb hard drive? Ripping MKV in 1080P and hoping that is what is played back. Is using flac codec reducing quality of LPCM 2 channel track in Handbrake?

Noticed Pioneer BDP-53FD limits MKV resolution to 1280 x 720. No info on Panasonic DMP-BDT220 on limit of resolution of MKV. Also no info on this for Oppo BDP-93 on this or Cambridge Audio 651BD player which also plays MKV from USB.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page