Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 4234 Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^^
For the 2011 players there was no resolution limit for MKVs - I and several others have been playing 1080 MKVs (both 60p and 30i). And I've seen people report the same in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 AM

Liked: 10
Hm.....just seems quirky to me.

I had a Sony Blu-Ray S570, but after I got rid of cable I wanted something to stream MLB. Plus, when I was watching movies on the s570, a lot of the time the whites seemed really, really, WAAAAY too bright, and I couldn't seem to fix it no matter what I did with the video settings.

So after reading a lot of positive reviews for the Pannasonic 220, plus the fact that it was a very reasonable price, I ordered it. But I have had some minor troubles with it connecting to my wireless (I have seen in this thread others had this trouble, and a static IP seems to fix it, but I shouldn't HAVE to do that), plus I have now both changed the color settings and tried a new hdmi, but I keep losing the sound when switching between apps.

What seems weird is despite all the research/reviews/forums I visited before making this purchase, I found nary a person who complained of the same audio troubles....
post #933 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Liked: 21
^^
If dropping the color mode and/or deep color didn't solve the audio problem, then probably it isn't hdmi related (at least not the same way as mine).

Next thing I'd try in your situation would be a factory reset (it's in the manual somewhere) and unplugging it for 15 mins.

If that still doesn't solve it, I'd consider a replacement.
post #934 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Back and forth. Another test using the Pearl Harbor blu ray which is an excellent transfer. The 220 picture is great. The 590 can only be described as photographic. The Panny is a great player. I have it hard wired, with no signal issue now - of course. The Sony PQ is still the winner.
post #935 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenashus1 View Post

Back and forth. Another test using the Pearl Harbor blu ray which is an excellent transfer. The 220 picture is great. The 590 can only be described as photographic. The Panny is a great player. I have it hard wired, with no signal issue now - of course. The Sony PQ is still the winner.

I'm kind of curious about the Sony based on your observations. I have a few questions about the 590 (actually, I would probably get the 390 because I don't need/want 3D -- but otherwise the specs look identical):

Is Netflix 1080p/DD+? Is it the same interface as the 220?

Is YouTube in HD? Does it use the "leanback" interface? Can you log in with your user id and password to access favorites, playlists, and subscriptions?

Is Vudu in HDX (1080p/DD+)?

Is Amazon 1080p/dd+ (what is the best video/audio quality for Amazon -- I actually have no idea)?

Do the streaming apps use 24p like the 220 does? Any difference in picture quality on the streaming apps (mostly Netflix)?

How are the menus (especially in Netflix) compared to the 220? My 220 just seems so slow and unresponsive.

Thanks!
post #936 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Can we take the Sony questions to the Sony thread, please.
billmich likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #937 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Answer's to woody777's questions about the Sony's, wrapped in spoiler tags so as not to distract the uninterested :
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

Yes and yes, except that the interface navigation is much more responsive, especially navigation of the television series episode selection sub-menu, which is so lagged in the 220 that I'd often overshoot my goal and start playback of the wrong one.
Quote:

Is YouTube in HD? Does it use the "leanback" interface? Can you log in with your user id and password to access favorites, playlists, and subscriptions?

Not in HD and no Leanback UI (I haven't seen an embedded device with HD YouTube as yet, nor have I seen the Leanback UI, though I'm sure Google TV devices must have these). You can log in and access your subscriptions, favorites, playlists and YouTube's recommendations; it remembers your account and logs you in every time. Other than not having HD, the interface is surprisingly nice and full-featured--I hadn't played with it until just now. Much better than what I remember of the Viera Cast YouTube player. (I still have the 220 but I don't feel like swapping it in to test).
Quote:

Yep--same old VUDU UI and features as on any other device I've tried (except the Xbox, the only device I know which doesn't support 1080p in VUDU).
Quote:

Is Amazon 1080p/dd+ (what is the best video/audio quality for Amazon -- I actually have no idea)?

Amazon's best is 720p w/basic DD surround (you get 1080i downloads on TiVo, but not streams). The S390 does 5.1 sound, which the 220 currently does not, its sole redeeming quality.
Quote:

Do the streaming apps use 24p like the 220 does?

No.
Quote:

Any difference in picture quality on the streaming apps (mostly Netflix)?

Difference to what?
Quote:

How are the menus (especially in Netflix) compared to the 220? My 220 just seems so slow and unresponsive.

As I said before, the Netflix UI is much more responsive, though it's stream start time is slow, require at least 15 seconds for me, sometime over 20. YouTube is very responsive and starts up in only a few seconds and starts streams quickly. The Amazon UI is responsive, but a horrible design with very slow stream start-up, but it works, with HD and 5.1 sound support. I'm hoping that they replace it in an update.

One knock against the S390 is text entry in Sony apps (YouTube and Amazon being the only ones I've used), which is via a crude numeric keypad via T9. This is mitigated by Sony's excellent Android remote, which provides a QWERTY keyboard and, on devices with microphones, can even accept voice-to-text input. It's superior to the Panasonic Android remote in several other regards--when it knows the title of what you're looking at it shows it in the app and it can look it up on the net with the IMDb and Wikipedia apps. (Sadly, the remote keyboard doesn't work in Netflix or VUDU--they could probably work it into their Webkit implementation and get it working in Netflix).

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Can we take the Sony questions to the Sony thread, please.

Some of the Sony questions are asking for comparison with the Panasonics.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #938 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Can you control this unit via ethernet commands? I assume so and that there is no RS-232 port.

Correct? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #939 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Can you control this unit via ethernet commands? I assume so and that there is no RS-232 port.

Correct? Thanks!

Yes--there are remote apps for Android and iOS devices.

"
" -- hookbill
post #940 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I'm kind of curious about the Sony based on your observations. I have a few questions about the 590 (actually, I would probably get the 390 because I don't need/want 3D -- but otherwise the specs look identical):

Do the streaming apps use 24p like the 220 does? Any difference in picture quality on the streaming apps (mostly Netflix)?
I

Thanks!

Netflix runs at least med hi/HD, but I get extra hi/hd even on wireless. Amazon is 1080p DD+. Not sure about 24p streaming but it does look great. It has an excellent Netflix, smooth scrolling menu. Smooth scrolling menus throughout. Perhaps a tad longer to load a movie, but not significant at all. The Amazon app does need a little sprucing up when it comes to search and selection, but I mostly use Prime and do so secondarily at this point to Netflix. An update to that menu would be great. Haven't tried YouTube. Overall, I found the Sony to be more user friendly, and smoother in function. But, that's me. Both are excellent players. Panny gets my A. Sony gets my A+.

Well, I believe that I am finished with my comparisons of these two players. It was a very tough call, having been a Panasonic loyalist and fan, but (and it surprised me too after being so happy with my Panny BD85) I went for the Sony. Best wishes to all on this board. Have a most satisfying time with your players which ever one you might choose (or have already chosen).
post #941 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Some comments on tenahus1's post:

Spoiler  
Quote:

Netflix runs at least med hi/HD, but I get extra hi/hd even on wireless.

The resolution that you get from Netflix depends upon the available bandwidth on your connection to their servers (and to some extent how responsive those servers are, which can be affected by their current load). The player will seamlessly shift from higher to lower PQ encodings as its ability to keep its buffer filled fluctuates; if the content of its buffer is gradually diminishing, it will switch to a lower PQ, lower bit rate encoding and if the buffer is constantly staying full it will switch to a higher PQ, higher bit rate encoding, if available. The highest bit rate 480p encoding is 1750 Kbps, there are 720p encodings at 2350 and 3600 Kbps and 1080p encodings for the great majority of HD titles at 4800 Kbps. Stereo sound adds 192 Kbps and 5.1 DD+ adds 384 Kbps. You'll need approximately 1.3 times the video+audio bit rate on your connection to keep the buffer full.
Quote:

Amazon is 1080p DD+.

AFAIK, the highest resolution video offered by Amazon is 720p and the encoding of sound on the small subset of titles which have digital surround is basic DD, not DD+.
Quote:

Perhaps a tad longer to load a movie, but not significant at all.

That's a matter of opinion. It consistently takes 15-25 seconds to start a Netflix stream on my S390, 13 seconds or so to start the first stream on the BDT220, but about 7 seconds to start subsequent streams. For comparison it takes about 10 seconds to start the first stream after starting the player on my PS3, 1-3 seconds to start subsequent ones and it always takes about 5 seconds to start a Netflix stream on my Roku 2 XS; the S390 is by far the slowest at starting Netflix streams of all 8 or 9 Netflix players I've used. I can tolerate it, given its fast response to navigation commands. (And its wonderful info overlay, which tells you what video encoding and audio you're getting).
Quote:

The Amazon app does need a little sprucing up when it comes to search and selection, but I mostly use Prime and do so secondarily at this point to Netflix. An update to that menu would be great.

As I've said, I think that it's horrible, both aesthetically and functionally. But its worse feature is its incredibly slow stream start up, requiring 40-60 seconds for me, versus 7-10 seconds on the Roku and 10 seconds for the first and 4 seconds to start subsequent titles on the PS3 (the PS3's UI design is outstanding and I'd use it if my launch model machine weren't so noisy). I won't use the S390's Amazon player until they replace it with a better one and will keep the Roku 2 until then.
Quote:

Overall, I found the Sony to be more user friendly, and smoother in function. But, that's me. Both are excellent players. Panny gets my A. Sony gets my A+.

All around, despite my criticisms of both players' shortcomings, I'd agree with that assessment. I forgot to mention that I much prefer the S390's XMB to the BDT220's menus, though I've not been a huge fan of the XMB in general.

"
" -- hookbill
post #942 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Thank you michaelscott. I stand corrected. And thanks for all your help as well.
post #943 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Do any panasonic players have a zoom picture function for older movies designed for 4X3 tv screens?
post #944 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Just to document, lest anybody have the same problem, I contacted Panasonic today and, after they had asked me if I had tried a new hdmi cable, they told me to go in to my audio settings, Digital Audio Output submenu, and change my Dolby and DTS settings to PCM instead of bitstream.

I'm not really an audiophile, so I don't know exactly what this means in terms of audio quality, but it seems to be working. I have watched Netflix, entered and exited MLB a number if times, tried out Pandora and turned my unit off and back on, and I have yet to lose audio today. I'm not sure why this setting would cause me to only occasionally lose audio, but it seems that way...
post #945 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM

I just got my 220 today, updated the firmware and have tried a bd and all I get is "This disk is not compatible for playback". It is just a bd from netflix. Do I need to change a setting? Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #946 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 PM

It may be a bad disk.... there are some rather fine scratches on it. Unfortunately I will have to wait until Monday to test another disk... bummer. At least netflix is working ok so far.
post #947 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 PM

After days of many problems finally able to rip bluray with lossless LPCM 24 bit audio and getting it to play back correctly on DMP-BDT220

I am using 2 channel stereo system ( Bel Canto Dac 1.5 as dac/preamp, Bryston BDP-1 digital player, McIntosh MC302 power amplifier, and Martin Logan Spires electrostatic speakers. Using Panasonic TCP42X5 plasma ( waiting for TCP-50ST50 to arrive in stock )

MakeMKV MKV files did not work, TS files had no audio and Handbrake did not see the LPCM stereo audio tracks

Finally tried creating m2ts files using tsMuxeR GUI 1.10.6 and now I have 1080P video with full LPCM audio including 24 bit if on original bluray.

Very happy that music files played with Bryston BDP-1 player connected to external HD and all movie videos play from HD connected to Panasonic bluray.

Also apps from apple to operate both Bryston BDP-1 and Panasonic DMP-BDT220 bluray - great having ipad as remote.

cheers

Dan
post #948 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Some comments on tenahus1's post:

* SPOILER *

One more answer. There's no 24p forced output for VOD content on the s390/s590.
post #949 of 4234 Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I did answer that in my post just before tenahus1's, here.

"
" -- hookbill
post #950 of 4234 Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you michaeltscott, tenashus1, and apw2607 for your comparisons between the Panasonic and Sony units.

I don't know how to do spoiler tags, but for michaelscott, what I meant to ask was is there any difference in Netflix picture quality on the Panasonic verses Netflix picture quality on the Sony. I imagine they are more or less the same. Sorry that wasn't clear.
post #951 of 4234 Old 04-08-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...what I meant to ask was is there any difference in Netflix picture quality on the Panasonic verses Netflix picture quality on the Sony. I imagine they are more or less the same.

My guess is that they are; I didn't notice any big difference.

"
" -- hookbill
post #952 of 4234 Old 04-08-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
FWIW, give DVDCatalyst a try. I originally used it for converting movies to my phone, but it does a very good job for converting for NAS. It's what I use, my mkv play fine. Well worth the $10.

post #953 of 4234 Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

To be more precise, there is no 24p output (be it forced or un-forced) for internet streaming sources for the Sonys at all.
post #954 of 4234 Old 04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SireTV View Post

To be more precise, there is no 24p output (be it forced or un-forced) for internet streaming sources for the Sonys at all.

To be even clearer for VOD content, with the Panasonic players you have to force 24p output should you require it. No auto detect.
post #955 of 4234 Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:

I'm curious to see what the big name reviewers have to say. CNet claims that of all the recent players they've tested, PQ was virtually indistinguishable from one another.
post #956 of 4234 Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal11 View Post

I just got my 220 today, updated the firmware and have tried a bd and all I get is "This disk is not compatible for playback". It is just a bd from netflix. Do I need to change a setting? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm a Blockbuster on demand user and had two disks at home when I installed my 220 this weekend. I bought the 220 to replace my aging Insignia NS-BRDVD3 that I paid all of $65 for a few years ago. More and more of the newly delivered Blockbuster BR disks were causing startup/playback issues with the Insignia (even after disabling BD-Live) - and since there weren't going to be any more firmware updates, I figured it was time to get a new, more upscale player - thus my purchase of the 220.

Anyway, one of the disks I had home this weekend would load in the Insignia and show me the previews, then when I'd hit "play" for the main movie, it'd get about 5 minutes in and freeze/stutter every 30 seconds or so which made it a pain to try to watch the movie.

I thought "oh boy - new player - watch it zip through this movie"....inserted the disk and got the "This disk is not compatible for playback" error you saw. Pretty bummed that my 3 year old cheapie Insignia got further into the disk than my brand-new Panny that cost over twice as much.

BTW - the second disk played fine on the 220 - so there was obviously something going on with that first one, but I was disappointed just the same.
post #957 of 4234 Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

I'm a Blockbuster on demand user and had two disks at home when I installed my 220 this weekend. I bought the 220 to replace my aging Insignia NS-BRDVD3 that I paid all of $65 for a few years ago. More and more of the newly delivered Blockbuster BR disks were causing startup/playback issues with the Insignia (even after disabling BD-Live) - and since there weren't going to be any more firmware updates, I figured it was time to get a new, more upscale player - thus my purchase of the 220.

Anyway, one of the disks I had home this weekend would load in the Insignia and show me the previews, then when I'd hit "play" for the main movie, it'd get about 5 minutes in and freeze/stutter every 30 seconds or so which made it a pain to try to watch the movie.

I thought "oh boy - new player - watch it zip through this movie"....inserted the disk and got the "This disk is not compatible for playback" error you saw. Pretty bummed that my 3 year old cheapie Insignia got further into the disk than my brand-new Panny that cost over twice as much.

BTW - the second disk played fine on the 220 - so there was obviously something going on with that first one, but I was disappointed just the same.

If you mention by name the problem disk in question, perhaps other members that either own or have rented that disk can provide feedback.
post #958 of 4234 Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post

One thing you should be aware of that might be causing problems
in BOTH Players. Blockbuster is ALLOWED to make copies of the
original movie. Therefore BAD copies do exist. The 220 is probably
more picky about the SOURCE of the Movie.
post #959 of 4234 Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

One thing you should be aware of that might be causing problems
in BOTH Players. Blockbuster is ALLOWED to make copies of the
original movie. Therefore BAD copies do exist. The 220 is probably
more picky about the SOURCE of the Movie.

Those versions are still "pressed" right ? Its not like recordable media. Its a special version for the "rental" market ...
post #960 of 4234 Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

Do any panasonic players have a zoom picture function for older movies designed for 4X3 tv screens?

That sounds like a very "Lo_Def" thing to do. Stretching a 4x3 to fill up the screen causes wretching in this household.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page