Official Panasonic DMP-BDT 220/320/500 Owners Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1111 of 4206 Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you play mpeg4 audio files on the 220 copied from itunes library onto a usb flash drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 4206 Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM

Liked: 11
Got a BDT320 (on sale at BB for $160) to replace my old 40GB PS3 which was starting to ramp up it's fans more than I liked, but also I realized how much power that thing was sucking up compared to a stand alone player... not to mention I never played video games.

Anyhow - the 320 is absolutely fantastic. I've only ever used a PS3 for Bluray, so I don't have much to compare it to. But, it's quiet, it loads disks fast, it looks great - cd's sound great. It's VERY fast with connecting to my DLNA nas and playing videos and .flac/mp3 files. Not a huge fan of the remote but I have a Harmony remote anyways. I give this player 5/5 stars. Well worth the money. I pretended the PS3 had good network/dlna features for way too long.

Samsung LN46A650 TV, Denon AVR-2113ci, Polk Audio TL350 speakers, SVSOUND PB10 subwoofer

post #1113 of 4206 Old 04-24-2012, 01:37 PM

I purchased the BDT220 a few weeks ago, no issues with noise or DLNA streaming via wifi (running miniDLNA on an OpenMediaVault server built from old PC hardware)

I just recently tried the multi-region hack that works on the older models (universal remote method)

The good news is that it seemed to work.
The bad news is that since the US model can't play PAL formats, it's utterly worthless, you'll just get a "cannot play" error instead of the usual wrong region error.

With the exception of not having PAL support, my gripes are minor - I don't like having to flip down the front face down to load a disk, the eject button is on the opposite side of the case away from the disk tray, and it would be nice to have a shortcut button or two on the remote for things like DLNA access.

I wanted the 320, but the funky touchpad remote was a deal killer for me.
post #1114 of 4206 Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Got the 320 today. To my relieved the noise levels is vastly improved over the 310. Quite a bit of noise when it loads but that is forgivable since it´s blistering fast. It´s like loading DVDs almost . Audible during the first chapters but there is no high pitched whine so it´s not that obtrusive. And after some chapters at least now with some traffic outside have to work really hard to spot it with muted audio.

Panasonics PQ ideal seem to be the same as with the 310. Super resolution to 1 set as default means way oversharpened image. On some movies that is borderline plasticy already it get really silly like some avenger trailer for example. Watched Real Steel and was pretty much blowned away by the image I got to my D7005 plasma particularly after setting super res to 0. As with 310 I see little reason for the Chroma stuff as well.

Tried Batman Begins to check if the greyscales and black levels was as good as Real Steel suggested and yes. No blue taints like the S370 gets me and no crushed blacks like the PS3 gets me. This is while trying to calibrate for these players and not having calibrated for a dime on the 320

310 was also good with this. Gives me a bit more depth then particularly the S370 gives me since it´s blacks are not as convincing.

As for the remote I expected to hate it but it works really well. It make it easier to use in total darkness in lack of backlit buttons it´s much easier and more intuitive to control the player this way. I am quite used to touch pads by now and hasn´t stumbled across any situation which make it quirky. A top menu button would been nice though and that 3D goes on with one click instead of having to click 3D and then choose what type of conversion you want to do each time.

Viera Connect holds very little of interest and is slow and sluggish. But that was to be expected.
post #1115 of 4206 Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Got the 320 today. To my relieved the noise levels is vastly improved over the 310. Quite a bit of noise when it loads but that is forgivable since it´s blistering fast. It´s like loading DVDs almost . Audible during the first chapters but there is no high pitched whine so it´s not that obtrusive. And after some chapters at least now with some traffic outside have to work really hard to spot it with muted audio.

Panasonics PQ ideal seem to be the same as with the 310. Super resolution to 1 set as default means way oversharpened image. On some movies that is borderline plasticy already it get really silly like some avenger trailer for example. Watched Real Steel and was pretty much blowned away by the image I got to my D7005 plasma particularly after setting super res to 0. As with 310 I see little reason for the Chroma stuff as well.

Tried Batman Begins to check if the greyscales and black levels was as good as Real Steel suggested and yes. No blue taints like the S370 gets me and no crushed blacks like the PS3 gets me. This is while trying to calibrate for these players and not having calibrated for a dime on the 320

310 was also good with this. Gives me a bit more depth then particularly the S370 gives me since it´s blacks are not as convincing.

As for the remote I expected to hate it but it works really well. It make it easier to use in total darkness in lack of backlit buttons it´s much easier and more intuitive to control the player this way. I am quite used to touch pads by now and hasn´t stumbled across any situation which make it quirky. A top menu button would been nice though and that 3D goes on with one click instead of having to click 3D and then choose what type of conversion you want to do each time.

Viera Connect holds very little of interest and is slow and sluggish. But that was to be expected.

I must be deaf as a post-the thing is 5 feet away and near silent, to me. As for the remote, it works as you say, but I find using a universal easier, which also provides an eject function. I love my 320.
post #1116 of 4206 Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoyed View Post

I must be deaf as a post-the thing is 5 feet away and near silent, to me. As for the remote, it works as you say, but I find using a universal easier, which also provides an eject function. I love my 320.

Don't feel strange--there's an apparent subset of people who can hear a noise emitted by some of this disc drives that the rest of us are entirely insensitive to.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1117 of 4206 Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm having a problem with Netflix on the 220--no matter what I try to play it gives me "We're having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title". It was happening last night but I thought that some Panasonic gateway to Netflix might be down but it's still happening. I'm going to hook my 110 back up and see if it's having the same problem.

EDIT: Well, so much for that theory--the 110 works just fine, as does VUDU on the 220. I suppose that I have little choice but to deactivate all of my devices and reactivate this one. It was working fine a couple of days ago. I really hope that the firmware update didn't do this.

Funny I see this. I have the Panny BDT210 and just got the Sony BDP-S590. After returning one because I thought it wasn't working correctly (actually bad manual and poor lower tier support), I got another today and I got the same message with Netflix. I reached a tier 2 support and he told me that the Netflix issue has appeared with this model. He requested i send it to San Diego so they could research it and they'd send me a new one. I opted not to in case their replacement was faulty (returning to Best Buy is 5 minutes away). I swapped back my first unit because I believed it really was OK. Netflix works correctly after being blurry for about 10 seconds BUT I'm not sure I'm happy with it and am considering the Panny 220 as I've been happy with the 210 except for the Netflix flashes. The Sony is quite slower loading as well.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #1118 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

Funny I see this. I have the Panny BDT210 and just got the Sony BDP-S590. After returning one because I thought it wasn't working correctly (actually bad manual and poor lower tier support), I got another today and I got the same message with Netflix. I reached a tier 2 support and he told me that the Netflix issue has appeared with this model. He requested i send it to San Diego so they could research it and they'd send me a new one. I opted not to in case their replacement was faulty (returning to Best Buy is 5 minutes away). I swapped back my first unit because I believed it really was OK. Netflix works correctly after being blurry for about 10 seconds BUT I'm not sure I'm happy with it and am considering the Panny 220 as I've been happy with the 210 except for the Netflix flashes. The Sony is quite slower loading as well.

I love my 220. No problems at all.
post #1119 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:

Don't feel strange--there's an apparent subset of people who can hear a noise emitted by some of this disc drives that the rest of us are entirely insensitive to.

Avoid rock concerts . Hearing capabilities is very individual yes. It´s a bit more noisy with DVDs.

Except for that with these cheap thin plastic chassis and probably pretty non existant QC there may be quite some variation as well.
post #1120 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 AM

I come here not to praise Caesar but to bury him....
post #1121 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoyed View Post

I come here not to praise Caesar but to bury him....

post #1122 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Liked: 26
Rats! My new 220 just froze while playing a disc. First problem with it. I stopped it and then restarted and all is fine. Let's hope it was a one time thing.
post #1123 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,
I returned a Sony 590 BD player(too many issues) and got a Panny 220. I have a Panny 210 and had no problems with it (except Netflix flashes). Here's my issue: when playing a 7.1 DTS Master AudioBD (Adventures of Tintin), my receiver states "LPCM..." and not the actual audio on the BD disc. It is also out-putting only 2 channel sound on a DTS 7.1 BD disc. I'm on the phone with Panasonic and the "support" person said the 220 only outputs 2 channel sound!!!!!! Help! The Sony BD player did output the correct sound field and not LPCM after a menu selection was changed.

Thanks

PS I have a 7.1 Sony receiver

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #1124 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

Here's my issue: when playing a 7.1 DTS Master AudioBD (Adventures of Tintin), my receiver states "LPCM..." and not the actual audio on the BD disc. It is also out-putting only 2 channel sound on a DTS 7.1 BD disc. I'm on the phone with Panasonic and the "support" person said the 220 only outputs 2 channel sound!!!!!! Help! The Sony BD player did output the correct sound field and not LPCM after a menu selection was changed.

You set DD and DTS Digital Audio setting to "Bitstream" and BD-Video Secondary Audio to "Off"?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1125 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You set DD and DTS Digital Audio setting to "Bitstream" and BD-Video Secondary Audio to "Off"?

Just shoot me! Holy C#@! I had Panny on the phone all night. MY TV REVERTED TO USING ITS OWN INTERNAL (SPEAKERS) WHEN I DISCONNECTED THE SONY BD PLAYER. Or I did it. That's why the receiver was reading 2.1 and not true sound being output from the disc.

post #1126 of 4206 Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic BDT-220 is much faster than the Sony and other than my own stupidity, I'm very happy with it.

post #1127 of 4206 Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

I always loved how they just pancaked makeup over his existing moustache.
post #1128 of 4206 Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM

I'm using DVDFAB to convert some of my 3D blurays to sbs mkv files to play on the bdt220. Things have been hit or miss. Some of the conversions play flawlessly and the DTS sound plays great. Sometimes I'll only have video and the audio won't play. I've been trying to figure out what bitrates the player can handle and what audio works (I usually do straight through audio). I want to keep the mkv's on my whs server, but sometimes I notice stuttering on the higher bitrate files. They play fine on a usb3.0 drive connected directly to the player.

Anyone have a profile for DVDfab that works for this player or some advice to make mkv files that will work?

Also I've noticed that avi files don't show up at all on my network drives for this player.
post #1129 of 4206 Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

Great price here but I have never heard of them.
http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-...0~7PSTV267.htm

Provantage's specs on the 220 say the media formats are:

BD-R
DVD-R
CD-R

Does that mean it will not play my DVD+R burned DVDs?
post #1130 of 4206 Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I would trust the manual more than specs on a vendor website. DVD+R will play fine, and always has on Panasonic.
post #1131 of 4206 Old 04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I would trust the manual more than specs on a vendor website. DVD+R will play fine, and always has on Panasonic.

Yeah, Panny's spec page for the machine seems to indicate support:

Specs Panny 220

Edit: I just ordered the 220, my first 1080p player. Also ordered my first 1080p PJ today and my first blu-ray disks!
post #1132 of 4206 Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Great. You're in for a real treat.
post #1133 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Just got the 220 this week. It's my first BD player. Received the 87 as a gift, but found that it only had a single HDMI out, and I needed an optical audio output on account of my old Kenwood VR-409 receiver so I exchanged it. Assuming all audio settings should be bitstream?

The various settings for video and audio do make the head spin if you're not familiar with all that stuff. The on-screen info should really be more explanatory.

I'm using the Normal picture mode, 0 for the clarity and super res settings, and left the chroma mode on Advanced, as I understand from a link posted earlier in the thread that it enables whatever fancy deinterlacing processing the machine has. I suppose that'll be helpful for watching DVDs?

I also set the output to 1080p. My TV is a Panasonic 50PX77U (768p), but I figure best to send it the highest res possible - or is there a reason to leave it in auto?

I have a Harmony 550 remote. The Logitech software has the 220 codes and whatnot, funny that they still refer to these as DVD players. It's as if Logitech doesn't know about BD. Everything seems to work fine though I had to customize the "prev" button to act as the BD player remote's "return" button. Most other devices have this set by default.

My TV only has 2 HDMI ports, and I've now got 3 HDMI devices. Got the $15 auto-switching pigtail switch from Monoprice and it works perfectly.

Now to get an actual BD to check out, don't have any yet

jeff
post #1134 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Just got the 220 this week. It's my first BD player. -snip-

Now to get an actual BD to check out, don't have any yet

jeff

Hey, Jeff, ordered the Panny 220, my first 1080p PJ, some HDMI cables yesterday. A guy at Anandtech highly recommended a BD set to start me off. It's from Amazon UK, where the price is about 1/2 Amazon USA. It's the Band of Brothers set in the tin box, I think it's actually about 6 disks, and all for ~$27 shipped. I ordered it too yesterday! It will be my only BD for now.
Quote:

Great. You're in for a real treat.

This is going to be a helluva week! So much amazing stuff going on.
post #1135 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Muse, be carful about getting foreign discs. This player is not region free. If you bought your player in the US, it won't play UK discs. So check the region first.
post #1136 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Muse, be carful about getting foreign discs. This player is not region free. If you bought your player in the US, it won't play UK discs. So check the region first.

Woops, maybe it won't play the set I just bought. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Whew! I just checked and the Band of Brothers BD set I just ordered from Amazon UK is:

Region 1 encoding (requires a North American or multi-region DVD player and NTSC compatible TV).

I expected otherwise when I was alerted by your post. It had never even crossed my mind. The only stand alone disk player I've ever used is my Momitsu V880, which is region free.

Maybe it's Region 1 because the program was produced by HBO. I guess I'm going to have to keep the region thing in mind when I buy disks.
post #1137 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This AVS Forums review indicates that it can be modified for multi-region support:

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panas...er-Review.html

See bottom right where it says:

Pros
Impressive video playback
Fast load times
Built-in WiFi
Viera Connect
Extensive file support
Good networking capabilities
Responsive menus
Excellent energy efficiency
Multi-region modification <---

Cons
Could be quieter in operation
Build quality could be better
Connections are quite basic
post #1138 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

This AVS Forums review indicates that it can be modified for multi-region support:

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panas...er-Review.html

See bottom right where it says:

Pros
Impressive video playback
Fast load times
Built-in WiFi
Viera Connect
Extensive file support
Good networking capabilities
Responsive menus
Excellent energy efficiency
Multi-region modification <---

Cons
Could be quieter in operation
Build quality could be better
Connections are quite basic

But US players don't support 50 hz so pretty useless.
post #1139 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...-21&tag=sd4-21

Band of Brothers, Region 1 $27 shipped.

post #1140 of 4206 Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I know about the region free hack, but it's no good for PAL like Moxie said. So Japan is fine, but UK isn't for example. Just trying to warn those new to BD and shopping internationally.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page