post #1171 of 4205 Old 04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoliator View Post

I was one of the first to comment on the Netflix audio issue, and the one who came up with the BD Live fix.

Ultimately I found that shutting off BD Live didn't prevent the audio lag all the time. If certain discs were played even with BD Live off, the audio lag would return.

My solution was to exchange my 320 for a new one. I've had no problems at all with the replacement. One thing I did do differently with the replacement, however, was that I did the initial firmware upgrade using a CD-R instead of directly over the internet.

Wow, that sounds like voodoo, no offense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 4205 Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

210 doesn't support NTFS formated drive. 220 does.

That's a big deal! Hard to fathom.

I just downloaded the 220 manual, here's the link:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...BDT220-MUL.PDF

Should have my 220 any day.
post #1173 of 4205 Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

Yeah, I have a 210 as well and the DVD up convert on the 320 looked better to me.

Would that be true for the 220 as well?
post #1174 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 AM

Liked: 11
Anybody that know why the player make such a noise at stand by? Does the disc start loading as soon as the sensor sees movement? Will have to try to completely shut off stand by. Maybe not good for the drive if it spins even when not using the player in the long run?

It actually is a bit quieter when running music through usb harddrive then when the player is shut off. Essentially unaudible that is. Speaking about USB drives is there a way to make the player identify it faster. I can start the blurayplayer with the power already on the usb drive. But I still have to wait a minute or two before the player finds the usb drive? FAT32 formatted any difference if I format it to NTFS in load times?
post #1175 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Anybody that know why the player make such a noise at stand by? Does the disc start loading as soon as the sensor sees movement? Will have to try to completely shut off stand by. Maybe not good for the drive if it spins even when not using the player in the long run?

It actually is a bit quieter when running music through usb harddrive then when the player is shut off. Essentially unaudible that is. Speaking about USB drives is there a way to make the player identify it faster. I can start the blurayplayer with the power already on the usb drive. But I still have to wait a minute or two before the player finds the usb drive? FAT32 formatted any difference if I format it to NTFS in load times?

What noise? Mine is either near-silent, or I'm near-deaf.
post #1176 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Just ordered the 320 yesterday. It looks like a great unit but not sure I like the idea of a touch pad. I use a learning remote, a Unifer 100 and not sure the touch pad will send a signal to it.
So I ordered a 210 remote and I will see if that works with the 320. Will report back on success or lack of.

http://www.panasonic.newremotecontro...nasonicDVD.php
post #1177 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Just ordered the 320 yesterday. It looks like a great unit but not sure I like the idea of a touch pad. I use a learning remote, a Unifer 100 and not sure the touch pad will send a signal to it.
So I ordered a 210 remote and I will see if that works with the 320. Will report back on success or lack of.

http://www.panasonic.newremotecontro...nasonicDVD.php

The 320 remote is IR just like all panny remotes. It uses the same codes panny has used in all their disc players and recorders for the past few decades. The 210 remote will work fine. Any panny remote will work fine. Most of the commands are already in nearly every universal remote, except the newest ones like Netflix, 3D and Skype. One thing we are missing from our code databases is the new skip back command from the 320 (it's not on the 210 remote). If you could analyze it or convert to pronto hex, that would be fantastic.

A better buy than the panny remote would have been the similarly priced RCA RCRP05B. It can send every comand from the original remote plus additional commands that aren't on any panny remotes, like discrete on and off, among a few others. Those would be useful for you to learn and use in your macros.
post #1178 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Don't hear any noise during stand by

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #1179 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

Don't hear any noise during stand by

The chirping noise disappeared by disabling quickstart entirely. Dunno if it´s the spinner or if it´s the power section making noise. But the noise is not as coherent as plasma buzz so would believe it´s mechanical rather.

Anybody opened this up? I am more worried about unnecessary wear on the optical drive then the noise. Will run for a while without quick start and see how sluggish it gets.
post #1180 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

Would that be true for the 220 as well?

Yes. Upconversion on the 2012 models is slightly better than the 2011 models, according to reviews.
post #1181 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I was one of the first to comment on the Netflix audio issue, and the one who came up with the BD Live fix.

Ultimately I found that shutting off BD Live didn't prevent the audio lag all the time. If certain discs were played even with BD Live off, the audio lag would return.

My solution was to exchange my 320 for a new one. I've had no problems at all with the replacement. One thing I did do differently with the replacement, however, was that I did the initial firmware upgrade using a CD-R instead of directly over the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

Wow, that sounds like voodoo, no offense.

Not voodoo; just logic. While updating the first player's firmware over WiFi, the unit crashed, forcing a reboot and reinstall. It's possible this could have resulted in corrupted data. In the absence of any other information, it seemed that such corruption, if it happened, could have been the cause of the audio lag. To minimize the chances of this happening again, I updated the second player by CD-R, with a firmware file that downloaded to my computer with no apparent problems.
post #1182 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not voodoo; just logic. While updating the first player's firmware over WiFi, the unit crashed, forcing a reboot and reinstall. It's possible this could have resulted in corrupted data. In the absence of any other information, it seemed that such corruption, if it happened, could have been the cause of the audio lag. To minimize the chances of this happening again, I updated the second player by CD-R, with a firmware file that downloaded to my computer with no apparent problems.

OK, assuming I keep my 220 when it comes in a couple of days (am thinking about returning it and getting a Sony instead), I'll update the firmware by CDRW, assuming it's coming without the latest.
post #1183 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Complete nonsense. Updates have checksums to ensure what gets downloaded is valid even before a update flash starts. If it fails it will go back to the factory default firmware and the user can start over.
post #1184 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Liked: 12
Wow, do you guys keep anything?!? The rate of returns for forum members must be 10X higher than it is for the average consumer.

I wonder about the ethics of this: i.e., "I'll try it out for a week or two..."
post #1185 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

My apologies in advance for those more technically inclined... but this was an eye opener for me.

Decided to call Apple Tech support for my router before blaming the Panasonic 220 any more; and glad i did. Looks like my 2.4 ghz channel was over-run with interference from neighbor's networks, and switching the channel made a huge difference. Very odd that my signal strength still read 5 full bars despite the interference.. but it appears ok now. Will wait to see how it performs the next few days, but this seems like the right fix.

For those experiencing problems, I advise you switch up the router channels (or call tech support if available) before returning a unit due to poor Viera connect performance. Apparently it can show full connectivity even though throughput is severely constrained.
post #1186 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

I'm still getting out of sync audio with Netflix on the 220, is there a fix in the works for that? My Roku XS plays 1080p Netflix perfectly btw...

I just noticed the Netflix audio lag tonight on my 220. I've had it a week and it seems to have just started. I checked the Netflix app on my Sony 55HX729 TV and there's no audio lag there. Wonder why it just started? I returned a Sony (lots of great apps) because it seemed to have too many tiny issues plus slow load time. I do have the Panny 210 and except for the notorious Netflix black flashes, it is fine. What gives with the 220? Why all of a sudden? HULU Plus has no lag.

Sony KDL-55HX729, Sony STR-DH820 Receiver, Sony BDP-S590 BD Player, Sony SA-W2500 subs, Sony, SS-CN5000 center channel, Sony SS-F6000 left and right front speakers, Sony 3D Glasses: TDG BR-750 & TDG-BR250, Apple TV, APC Back Up UPS XS1500, Apple Airport Extreme.
post #1187 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 461
You're saying that your 220 suddenly has audio lag for all Netflix titles?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1188 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

What? Do you consider your relationship with your toys a "'til death do us part" kind of thing ? If you bought it believing that you would keep it and return it because you don't like it without claiming that it's broken, accepting whatever return shipping or restocking fee hit that entails, I don't see any ethical problem. Retailers and e-tailers which have no risk, return-for-any-reason policies and fully expect people to return things simply because they don't like them once they've tried them.

There are tons of things that I'd love to try that I do not buy because I know that I don't want it. Case in point, Apple TV; it's interesting, but it does only one out of several things that I need a streamer for.

post #1189 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You're saying that your 220 suddenly has audio lag for all Netflix titles?

Yes. I tried an episode of Twin Peaks and the film Melancholia. Both have a about a 3 second - or more- audio lag. It seems as if it just started because I watched Netflix on the 220 before.

I'm usually fairly lucky with my electronics. Knock on wood, my Sony KDL-55HX729 is fine-got it in November. But, I went through two Sony 590s before i got this 220. Sony #1 had quirky issues and #2 couldn't play Netflix (with a weird error message-something like "this title cannot be played. Please select another title or try again later"). I saw someone here in this forum had that issue on a Panasonic)-Sony level 2 support acknowledged it was a common problem and nearly begged me to return it to them so they could research it and send me a new unit immediately but returning it to Best Buy was easier. Since I already own a BDT 210 and am happy with it (except for Netflix flashes), I swapped the Sony for the BDT 220.

post #1190 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What? Do you consider your relationship with your toys a "'til death do us part" kind of thing ? If you bought it believing that you would keep it and return it because you don't like it without claiming that it's broken, accepting whatever return shipping or restocking fee hit that entails, I don't see any ethical problem. Retailers and e-tailers which have no risk, return-for-any-reason policies and fully expect people to return things simply because they don't like them once they've tried them.

There are tons of things that I'd love to try that I do not buy because I know that I don't want it. Case in point, Apple TV; it's interesting, but it does only one out of several things that I need a streamer for.

Apple TV is good if you have a Mac OS because bedsides streaming, you can play your music library from iTunes in your home theater as well as share your videos on your Mac. I don't use it for anything other than that.

post #1191 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

Yes. I tried an episode of Twin Peaks and the film Melancholia. Both have a about a 3 second - or more- audio lag. It seems as if it just started because I watched Netflix on the 220 before.

3 seconds??? Well, that's obviously completely broken.

post #1192 of 4205 Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panasonic ran me through a reset of the unit because of a stupid thing. My Bravia TV switched output from my 7.2 HT to internal speakers and it wasn't till after the fact that I new why my sound wasn't coming through. I thought it was the 220 issue. But too late, we did a reset of the player and maybe that did it. Well, back it goes and i'll try the Sony 590 again, hoping that the netflix issue with Sony won't be on my next model. Wish me luck.

post #1193 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMEATx View Post

Just a couple of general questions. Is there anyone who owns or has owned the 220 and the Oppo 93? If so, is there much difference in the BD performance? Also, how does the 220 function as a transport for a standard cd. I want a second bluray player to give my PS3 a break from double duty as Bluray/DVD player and gaming machine. Thanks for you time.

I have the Oppo 93 and am getting the 320 today. I assume the 220 and 320 have the same PQ.
I will let you know of my findings.
post #1194 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

Wow, do you guys keep anything?!? The rate of returns for forum members must be 10X higher than it is for the average consumer.

Yeah, I see these posts all the time, "I returned it." I don't think I've ever returned an Amazon item, can't remember any new item I've returned, maybe if it was outright defective. I have figured that I should maybe adopt those "I'll try it, see if I like it and return it if I don't" attitude, but TBH I don't even know what it entails. I pay for the return shipping? I know a lot of places have a 15% restocking fee. I know that B&M stores often have a 30 day no questions asked return policy, but I don't buy B&M much any more. I tend to do a lot of research before I hit the [Confirm] button, try to satisfy myself that I won't have buyer's regret before I buy. What is Amazon's policy?

FYI: Amazon doesn't have the 220 in stock right now, says 1-2 months delivery and price is hiked to $135. That is if you can find it. If you just search for it at Amazon you may find it for sale for ~$180 + shipping from a 3rd party, or ~150 + shipping, Amazon's pretty damn goofy sometimes.
post #1195 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Yes. Upconversion on the 2012 models is slightly better than the 2011 models, according to reviews.

Hey Bill. Have any insight into which video settings affect DVD playback and what they ought to be set to? I have seen "definitive" (per the person posting ) statements that either everything should be left off or on zero, or that the Chroma setting should be advanced thus activating some sort of better deinterlacing and that the sharpness/super resolution settings should be at various + values. Others say all this will just add noise to the image and otherwise ruin it. The owner's manual and on-screen guide are useless. Haven't had enough time to experiment.

jeff
post #1196 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 AM

Good morning! I'm having what may be a really simple newbie issue, but can find nothing on it with the search tool. Please help or point me to the post where this is covered!

I recieved my 320 from Amazon last night. I didn't even look at the manual just started setting it up. I had the internet working and MLB.tv connected in a few minutes no problem. Then I went to the Netflix app and nothing happens except the message "cannot connect to Netflix". It never even takes me to a login or configuration screen. It does give me two options "retry" and "exit" and says go to www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevices for further help. Well that page is not a help page in any way. All it does is advertise which compatable products are available and tells you to follow your devices instructions. The device comes with no Netflix instructions at all! The device tells me to go to the website and the website tells me to go to the device, nice buck passing!

So my question is, is this a know issue with a solution? What is my next step? All of my searches have turned up other connection issues after Netflix was at least working for a while, or WIFI issues, not initial Netflix setup issues. I can't even get to the point that others are experiencing their problems at!
post #1197 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM

I have a quick question regarding streaming mkv files: I have a 220 with a WIRED (ethernet) connection to a shared drive (NOT using DLNA). I am streaming a full rip (~30G). Everything is working fine EXCEPT the video is stuttering - just enough to be annoying. Any ideas of how to find and fix the bottleneck? I assume this is a bandwidth issue at some point in the chain. If you care, I used makemkv to do the rip. THANKS!!!
post #1198 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, well, i jumped ship and got the Sony 590 again this AM (original choice). Everything seems to be working fine. So, I'm a two brand BD player home: a BDT 210 and the Sony BDP 590.

post #1199 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meecal View Post

Just got a DMP-BDT220. Every time I turned it off and then back on it would not connect to my wireless network. I'd have to go back to the network settings and search for wireless network. My network would show up and then I'd go through the network connection process and then it would work. I just did a factory reset to see if that would solve the problem. Re-entered all my Netflix and Amazon account info. Watched a bit of a movie. Turned the unit off for 5 minutes. Turned it back on and get the "Cannot connect" message. It's probably going back at this point, to be replaced by another Roku. Never had a single problem with the Roku in the same exact location.

So I returned the 220 due to the connection problem. Replacement unit did the same thing. Tried out different encryption settings. No good. I moved my wireless router to the same room as the 220 just as a final wireless check. Still the same issue. Then I ran an ethernet cable from the 220 to the router. Problem fixed. However, that's pretty disappointing that one of Panasonic's flagship streaming Blu-Ray players can't operate problem-free with a wireless router that every other device works with.

One other issue though - I can't log in to Picasa Web on Viera Connect even though I can log into the Picasa Web site on my PC, phone, etc. There are tons of posts across the web listing login issues with Picasa Web with no apparent solution. Anyone resolved this?
post #1200 of 4205 Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Hey Bill. Have any insight into which video settings affect DVD playback and what they ought to be set to? I have seen "definitive" (per the person posting ) statements that either everything should be left off or on zero, or that the Chroma setting should be advanced thus activating some sort of better deinterlacing and that the sharpness/super resolution settings should be at various + values. Others say all this will just add noise to the image and otherwise ruin it. The owner's manual and on-screen guide are useless. Haven't had enough time to experiment.

jeff

You will have to experiment with your tv. If it´s refererence class all picture enhancements should be set to off naturally though. Super res should be set to 0 and no detail sharpness enhancements. On my TV enabling super res or detail sharpness oversharpens the image and give me less actual detail thus on my television. Double contours is a sure sign of to much sharpness.

But really just try for yourself. Somebody like oversharpened picture other wants it slightly blurry softer and more forgiving on the eyes but the virtual reality for me is best with all set to off. Chroma on or off really don´t make much of a difference though need to experiment more with that feature. It doesn´t ruin the picture like super res do though.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page