Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

Since you didn't mention the switch model, I popped onto Amazon and looked for 1.3b certified switches. The reviews are either 'great' or doesn't work with my Apple/Roku/Blueray/whatever. Sorry it's the switch, and the Digital Rights crap.

so it's a new amp then

Looks like i'll plump for a denon 1612 £199. 4 HDMI inputs so the switch goes in the bin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM

You don't mention the router model and version as well as age. I would guess if it's a B/G wifi model that it's doing both B and G. If your house's devices all do G then remove the "B" from the settings. Remove the "Auto" channel selection if that's a feature and pick either Ch 1 or 11 to start since 6 is the default for most routers. Finally, again if all your devices support it, only use ONLY WPA2-AES encryption and not the TKIP crap which can be cracked in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devianza View Post

I went to the link you posted but it was for an android app and I don't own a smartphone, still going old school.

When I woke up today I tossed the panny's ip into the dmz, did power cycles and whatnot, but Vudu still is getting one bar for signal strength, and won't run a speed test. I then put my main pc's ip back in the dmz, and I set the router to allow 6 wifi connections instead of 5, just so I could get a new ip to toss into the panny to make sure there wasn't an ip conflict with any other device my family owns. But still no go on the speed test, I am however able to run 720p trailers on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. The trailers never stream the first time, always the network error.

I ran a few speed tests on speetest.net on my pc this morning..

I'm averaging at about 24.50 mbps for my down stream and about 4.28mbps for my up stream. The pc however is hardwired into the router, so any inteferrrence wouldn't be an issue. As for the router, it pretty much has all the default settings, there's only three things I changed in it a long time ago, I set port forwarding for Yahoo and ICQ, but the port forwarding is set to the .100 ip, while the panny is using the .106, so that shouldn't be an issue. Then of course I enabled WEP, and set the router to only allow devices that have their mac id's inserted into the router.

post #1263 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlondoner View Post

so it's a new amp then

Looks like i'll plump for a denon 1612 £199. 4 HDMI inputs so the switch goes in the bin

Can't hurt.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1264 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You don't mention the router model and version as well as age. I would guess if it's a B/G wifi model that it's doing both B and G. .

Its an old Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B router and by default its set to channel 6, so I put it on channel 1 an hour or two ago. And I just now set the port range forwarding to 1300 to 13299, which according to Vudu those are the ports it uses. Now its time for a power cycle.. sigh.. Doubt it'll help..
post #1265 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:

so it's a new amp then

Sure you don't want to run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver? Leaving the rest that work on the switch?

I don't even have a HDMI amp. I have a 6.1 Sony AVR that has 96Mhz optical inputs. With a Panny BR, Pioneer progressive DIVX DVD, SA 4250HD STB, WD Live! attached into the unit. I only have one optical connection left as I've re-purposed the SA/CD, MD-DAT optical inputs and I am using both the Coax and optical DVD inputs. All the HDMI (STB, WD, BD) go directly to the TV. A Harmony One controls it all so there's only one remote instead of three. I just rewired this whole thing through the cabinetry to remove all the open wires that were added over the years and the ones that were no longer needed since the AVR is only switching it's own settings screen and DVD to the HDTV and not STB anymore.

I've decided at this point, that I'll combine another 5.1 speaker system and go directly to 10.2 when the pricing for the avr comes down a bit, I don't want the discussion with the wife on a $1,400+ amp and another $1K on speakers.
post #1266 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Its an old Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B router and by default its set to channel 6, so I put it on channel 1 an hour or two ago. And I just now set the port range forwarding to 1300 to 13299, which according to Vudu those are the ports it uses. Now its time for a power cycle.. sigh.. Doubt it'll help..

IMHO. It's time for new router that does "G" at least. You can not get the needed consistent throughput for full 1080p HDX with this unit. Any "G" router at any price point (Walmart has wrt54GL's which are Great routers that allow alternate firmware to make them even more adaptable http://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-WR...dition/8087395) will give you the added throughput to match both your existing internet connection speeds and your wifi devices like the 220.

I've used this particular unit, and I've put it into friends' homes years ago, and they can get the full 9mb max that Vudu HDX supports. (4-9mb is the range for 1080p HDX). They also have better security with the WPA2-AES only than WEP.
post #1267 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sure you don't want to run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver?

That would mean giving up lossless audio for all Blu-ray movies. That's not a good trade in my opinion.

Calibration Resources:

post #1268 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That would mean giving up lossless audio for all Blu-ray movies. That's not a good trade in my opinion.

Incorrect. You can pass all DTS-MA/DD-TrueHD tracks via bitstream up to 96mhz without downmix if secondary audio is off. If you have a 192 mhz movie it will downgrade to 48mhz. In fact, your receiver doesn't do 7.1 and can't support 192 mhz tracks anyway. You'll have the same issues with DD-TrueHD that I have, that being the updated specs have changed the encoding in such a way that LFE/subwoofer tracks can't be decoded at all. With DTS the DTS-MA are all backwards compatible and the systems just drop the tracks they don't understand.
post #1269 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:

Incorrect. You can pass all DTS-MA/DD-TrueHD tracks via bitstream up to 96mhz without downmix if secondary audio is off. If you have a 192 mhz movie it will downgrade to 48mhz. In fact, your receiver doesn't do 7.1 and can't support 192 mhz tracks anyway. You'll have the same issues with DD-TrueHD that I have, that being the updated specs have changed the encoding in such a way that LFE/subwoofer tracks can't be decoded at all. With DTS the DTS-MA are all backwards compatible and the systems just drop the tracks they don't understand.

You can't bitstream HD audio over optical. I use optical and think it sounds great. I know it's not lossless, but I don't care because I can barely tell the difference. Any many, like yourself, actually think it is lossless, which proves my point that optical is good enought for most.

post #1270 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Incorrect.

Obviously I disagree.

You are not getting the full lossless audio via optical outputs, but you are getting the core lossy audio in both the cases you describe. I'm not qualified to say who can hear the difference. I think I can, but I'm always skeptical of human perception -- even my own.

In any case, for someone who is happy with audio via optical outputs when watching Blu-ray, your solution will work.

Calibration Resources:

post #1271 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That's my thought as well.

BD and optical don't go IMO. Kind of like having HD and trying to use a scart lead :-0
post #1272 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here are some comments from the OPPO BDP-93 thread about the audio that is available for Blu-ray disks when an optical connection is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

When you use Optical or Coax (S/PDIF) cabling for audio, and play a DTS-HD MA track from a Blu-ray disc, what you are actually playing is the traditional, lossy, regular old DTS 5.1 track that is EMBEDDED inside that DTS-HD MA track for just such compatibility purposes. S/PDIF cabling is not able to carry the higher bandwidth DTS-HD MA Bitstream, and can't carry more than a 5.1 discrete channel track anyway.
--Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The "compatibility" audio Bitstreams sent out on Optical when playing Blu-ray use "full bit rate" (but still lossy) Dolby Digital or DTS. Contrast with what's typically found on SD-DVDs, which is the more common "half bit rate" DD or DTS.

By the way, these compatibility tracks are not "down converted" they are produced by the studio and included on the disc for just this purpose. For TrueHD tracks, the compatibility track is a separate "associated" DD 5.1 track -- always present even if it does not show in the disc's menus. For DTS-HD MA tracks, the compatibility track is a "core" DTS 5.1 track embedded inside that DTS-HD MA track.
--Bob

It think the key word is compatibility.

One reason that the compatibility audio from a Blu-ray disk sounds better than the same sound track from a DVD is the "full bit rate" (but still lossy) that's used if the optical signal is bit-streamed. If the audio is sent as LPCM it will be converted to stereo which may, or may not be desired.

If you compare the audio from a DVD to the full lossless audio from a Blu-ray it should be easier to detect the improvement than if you are comparing the full bit rate (lossy) compatibility track using optical on a Blu-ray with the full lossless track using HDMI.

No one promised that this wonderful new entertainment world that we find ourselves in would be easier to understand. When I first got started in audio, my biggest concern was to keep dust bunnies from collecting on the phonograph needle.

EDIT: Most likely nwlondoner's AVR doesn't have a bitstream option. At least our Denon 3806 (2006) with two HDMI inputs doesn't. Therefore, there is no way he can take advantage of the better sounding "full bit rate" compatibility signal via optical. A new Denon is a good way to get to lossless audio on Blu-ray disks.

Calibration Resources:

post #1273 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 PM

At the end of the day I can get the Denon amp at a good price as its a recently discontinued model.

It will make sure I'm future proofed as it has HDMI 1.4 and ARC so will be 3D compatible for when I upgrade my TV next year. As usual it's just the timing that's a pain
post #1274 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:

IMHO. It's time for new router that does "G" at least. You can not get the needed consistent throughput for full 1080p HDX with this unit.

Well my Samsung lcd only goes to 720p, and I have no intention of going 1080p anytime soon. So I just want to be able to stream without issue using 480 to 720.

So I contacted Panasonic and the tech had me enter different dns numbers into the player, he had me set the first dns as the same number as the subnet, and the secondary dns is 4.4.4.1 or something like that. I then did as a few of you suggested and set the channel to 11 on my router. Well, by doing this, not only did my brothers laptop get a full 5 bars, which is the first time thats happened since we got this router back in 05, I also got a bit of a speed boost on the 220. However, I still cannot get Vudu to run the speed test, it doesn't even seem to try to establish a network connection, I click "start test", and within 3 seconds it says there's a network issue. However, I was able to run quite a few previews on vudu in 720p, which is an improvement over last nights performance test. One or two of the videos popped up a network error the first time I tried to load them, but they ran when I tried again. Didn't notice any difference with Amazon VOD, still seems to get a slight frame delay here and there, and this happens if its 480 or 720, or 16:9 or 4:3. Amazon VOD claims to be getting full strength though, while Vudu is still getting one bar of signal strength when I run a 720 2 minute preview, and two bars when I just run one of the trailers.

Anywho, after I ran through all of that, I decided to give Hulu Plus a shot and viewed a few trailers. The HD content seemed to eb fine but I noticed on some cartoon previews (which are in SD), like a preview for Family Guy, there's like a slight refresh rate issue with the content, like if a screen change happens fast, I'll get just a lil tearing on the picture.

Like I said, I'm new to streaming on a blu ray player, and although I've set up plenty of devices on wifi, they were all for other people. So I really have nothing to compare the 220 to when it comes to the quality of streaming.

For the record, my brothers old ps3 was hooked up to this same wireless network last year and he claims he had no issue with netflix. However, he isn't a PQ snob like me, so he wouldn't have even noticed the lil things I'm noticing.
post #1275 of 4240 Old 05-05-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

At the end of the day I can get the Denon amp at a good price as its a recently discontinued model.

It will make sure I'm future proofed as it has HDMI 1.4 and ARC so will be 3D compatible for when I upgrade my TV next year. As usual it's just the timing that's a pain

I got our Denon AVR as a close out demo (appeared unused but was without a box or manual) for less than 50% of it's normal price. Unless there is some important new feature in a new model year, I would always buy last years AVR, and I don't do that very often.

Enjoy.

Calibration Resources:

post #1276 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"One reason that the compatibility audio from a Blu-ray disk sounds better than the same sound track from a DVD is the "full bit rate" (but still lossy) that's used if the optical signal is bit-streamed. If the audio is sent as LPCM it will be converted to stereo which may, or may not be desired.

If you compare the audio from a DVD to the full lossless audio from a Blu-ray it should be easier to detect the improvement than if you are comparing the full bit rate (lossy) compatibility track using optical on a Blu-ray with the full lossless track using HDMI.

EDIT: Most likely nwlondoner's AVR doesn't have a bitstream option. At least our Denon 3806 (2006) with two HDMI inputs doesn't. Therefore, there is no way he can take advantage of the better sounding "full bit rate" compatibility signal via optical. A new Denon is a good way to get to lossless audio on Blu-ray disks......."

I have a Lexicon MC12B legacy processor which does not have hdmi inputs. I am using the analog outs for my pioneer 09 and will also get either the Panasonic 500 for 3d, which will be run by coax or optical until my Pioneer 09 dies, then go analog or the Sony 790 for 3d. So I assume my Lexicon has "full bit rate" compatibility via optical and coax (though not lossless). Doesn't coax and optical allow for the same max bandwith? I have always thought coax was the preferred output over optical if one can not do hdmi or analog lossless.
post #1277 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You can't bitstream HD audio over optical. I use optical and think it sounds great. I know it's not lossless, but I don't care because I can barely tell the difference. Any many, like yourself, actually think it is lossless, which proves my point that optical is good enought for most.

Everyone keeps repeating this. Theory and practice are not the same.

DTS-HD MA greater than 5.1 can ONLY be 96mhz and 24bit* that's the low end of the MA bitrate http://www.dts.com/~/media/45C1661C1...erview_PDF.pdf . This is also EXACTLY the max on optical. 5.1 DTS can go up to 192 mhz/6mbps and is beyond optical-- but that doesn't actually mean that they are using 192 mhz for the 5.1 and may still only go to 96 mhz or less, never topping out at the max bit rates. ( http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=91776) Additionally the DTS 'legacy' upto bit rate, 1509 kbps, is actually also just 96 mhz. In other words, why would you use a DTS core that's less than 96 mhz on a blueray? (unless you don't have or want to distribute a 96mhz track) Even if you were using DTS-HD/MA 5.1 @ 192 mhz, the core would still be 96 mhz by the legacy rule and any additional information would be encoded outside the core, would be what is increasing the bitrate.

I know that the LOTR BD are described as lossless 6.1 DTS-HD (so it's 'only' 96 mhz being over 5.1 channels). I also own the DVD LOTR extended edition with 6.1 DTS-ES soundtracks (again my avr is fully 96mhz/24bit 6.1-DTS-ES capable). Letting the avr do the decoding, the audio quality on these are NOT the same to my ears, and not the same to others as witnessed by the reviews: http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The_Lo...ay_Review/6544 What am I hearing then if it's not the lossless core version? The way it's been described it I would not be able to tell the difference between the two but there is a difference.

My AVR certainly doesn't understand DD-TrueHD all the time. When LFE are present (gunshots, explosions etc), my AVR goes silent and thinks that the soundtrack has a blank spot. If what everyone is saying were 100%, I wouldn't have to change the settings to get it to downmix if it just 'became' DD5.1 because it's output on the optical. Again, DD-TrueHD can go to 192 mhz when there are only 6.1 tracks or less otherwise it's max is once again, 96 mhz, but please tell me which discs actually have such a track besides Akira?

* See here: http://www.dts.com/professionals/sou...ter-audio.aspx
post #1278 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 137
You cannot bitstream lossless audio over optical, period. You can get the lossy DTS Core which can be up to 1.5 mbps or, for TrueHD, the accompanying DD track which can be up to 640Kbps. On DVD DTS can go up to 1.5, and there are quite a few, but normal rate is 640K. For DD, it can go up to 640, and there are quite a few, but 480K is normal.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1279 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM

My two cents: I have been having sync problems with video and sound with my Panasonic DMP-BDT 220 blu-ray player when streaming from Netflix as well.

For what it's worth, and hope it helps, I solved my problem by turning off and re-setting all sound enhancements on my Sony HD TV to default/factory settings. I have had no problems with netflix streaming for a week.

Equipment: Sony Bravia TV, Panasonic DMP-BDT 220.
Connection: Broadband internet - 15meg download, 1 meg upload
Wiring: Hard Ethernet connection
post #1280 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

Doesn't coax and optical allow for the same max bandwith? I have always thought coax was the preferred output over optical if one can not do hdmi or analog lossless.

I like coax cables better than optical because they are less susceptible to physical damage. On the other hand, optical is immune to the interference from other sources that can effect coper wire. I don't believe that there is any difference in the specifications between coax and optical.

Calibration Resources:

post #1281 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwa View Post

My two cents: I have been having sync problems with video and sound with my Panasonic DMP-BDT 220 blu-ray player when streaming from Netflix as well.

For what it's worth, and hope it helps, I solved my problem by ... -snip-

I've been reading about this issue (or set of issues, not sure what it is) in this thread and my impression is that everyone has a different experience, there's not consensus, it's unclear what causes the problem, what solves it, what to do to try to deal with it. I haven't tried netflix with my 220 yet, just trying to get a handle on what to do if I have synch issues. I'll be using L/R analog stereo out from the 220 into an amp and headphones to the amp.
post #1282 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM

optical has only bandwidth for lossless in stereo. So you better run the stereo track then surround if you want HD audio through optical or coaxial.
post #1283 of 4240 Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Just got my 220, and the Netflix audio is always in PCM stereo, even for shows/movies that are marked as 5.1 DD. I am using HDMI bistreaming to a denon receiver. DVD's and blu-rays do 5.1 totally fine.

Am I missing some secret setting for Netflix to actually send the 5.1 audio? Before playing the video, I have checked to make sure it has 5.1 selected...it just doesn't actually do it. My receiver always shows just stereo coming in.

*Update: I fixed it. I turned off the secondary audio setting, and now everything is golden.
post #1284 of 4240 Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 AM

Ok, this is odd.

So I contacted Vudu, they told me to put these dns numbers in my router..

Primary DNS - 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

I have no clue what they meant by that seeing as how my router obtains the dns from the modem. However, I tossed those dns numbers into my player, then I ran a Vudu speed test and it actually went through for the first time. I'm only getting a 3.375, which is good enough for 720p and well, I only have a 720p tele. They also told me to try tossing the players ip into the dmz but well, the dmz is for my pc. And I have no intention of switching it back and forth all of the time.
post #1285 of 4240 Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Any comments on updating to this firmware? Anybody do this yet? http://firmwareinfo.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=221

I would really like this player to be region free and output PAL properly (I have a lot of region 2 dvds lying around).
post #1286 of 4240 Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM

I have been loving my new 320, but came across my first problem. I played a bit of Star Wars Episode IV from the blu-ray box set and noticed the video skipping a frame or two every now and then. No audio dropouts, just a noticeable (to me) little jump in the video now and then.

The 320 is the only change to my Home Theatre. I did not notice this issue with my BDT-100.

With the 320, I have not had a problem with any other blu-rays so far. I have the latest firmware and tried changing several settings (turning off 24p, turning off super resolution) - nothing helped.

After googling problems with these blu-rays, I found a lot of complaints about Star Wars when they came out, but many seemed to report problems going away after firmware updates.

I have my 320 connected to my Pioneer Elite VSX-33 A/V Receiver and 46 inch Panasonic VIERA Plasma S30.
post #1287 of 4240 Old 05-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I had no problem with SW on my 320.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1288 of 4240 Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I had no problem with SW on my 320.

S~

teach.
can you try the t2:skynet edition again. they finally fixed the long lag on the loading up with the blu ray. can you try again and report back.
thanks
Jacob
post #1289 of 4240 Old 05-07-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

Ok, this is odd.

So I contacted Vudu, they told me to put these dns numbers in my router..

Primary DNS - 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

I have no clue what they meant by that seeing as how my router obtains the dns from the modem. However, I tossed those dns numbers into my player, then I ran a Vudu speed test and it actually went through for the first time. I'm only getting a 3.375, which is good enough for 720p and well, I only have a 720p tele. They also told me to try tossing the players ip into the dmz but well, the dmz is for my pc. And I have no intention of switching it back and forth all of the time.

8.8.8.8 is just one of the google public DNS server
post #1290 of 4240 Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 PM

I get a lil jump on Amazon VOD content, and I swear the frame transition on dvd's and bd's on the 220 isn't as smooth as my old Sony N460, but although I'm certain that Amazon VOD has a frame transition issue, I can't be 100% about the discs. I did watch a hd episode of TWD on Vudu last night and it didn't have the frame snags that Amazon VOD had on the same episode, so Amazon VOD either needs a lil firmware update, or their service just sucks balls.

May exchange the 220 for the S390, still reading reviews..
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt220 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page