Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

teach.
can you try the t2:skynet edition again. they finally fixed the long lag on the loading up with the blu ray. can you try again and report back.
thanks
Jacob

I might not get to it before Thursday, but I will.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

8.8.8.8 is just one of the google public DNS server

Aye, the second dns number they gave me appears to just be some random dns number that I've seen people mention on various forums.

But yeah, its totally a routing issue since I played two videos in HD without any buffering issues late last night using the google dns and that other one, while on my pc which is going through the dmz but using charters dns numbers, it gets about a 50% packet loss. Which explains why when I used charter's dns numbers on the player, it wouldn't connect to the speed test.

Heh, the vudu tech actually thinks Charter will fix the issue if I call them and tell them about it. I used to work for them and back when I did, we'd have the customers do a speed test on dslreports and then ping google or yahoo, if those results all came back fine, they were on their own. That is unless they were a business customer, the business customers got a lot of extra help. So yeah, if I call them they'll tell me to do the same, and they may forward my complaint to the noc.. but they'll just ignore it. But when you really think about it, Charter wouldn't want their customers to be happy with Netflix or Vudu.
post #1293 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I might not get to it before Thursday, but I will.

S~

no rush.
thanks

Jacob
post #1294 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devianza View Post

Ok, this is odd.

So I contacted Vudu, they told me to put these dns numbers in my router..

Primary DNS - 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

I have no clue what they meant by that seeing as how my router obtains the dns from the modem. However, I tossed those dns numbers into my player.

The first one is a public dns server belonging to Google. The second is a non public (no longer ) server that has been around since the late 90s that has been in the possession of GTE, verizon and now belongs to Level3. It's not a public server anymore, but it is a historic favorite for a decade or two. You can use Google's other dns server ip of 8.8.4.4 or opendns' 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220, for the secondary.
post #1295 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

Everyone keeps repeating this. Theory and practice are not the same.

DTS-HD MA greater than 5.1 can ONLY be 96mhz and 24bit* that's the low end of the MA bitrate http://www.dts.com/~/media/45C1661C1...erview_PDF.pdf . This is also EXACTLY the max on optical. 5.1 DTS can go up to 192 mhz/6mbps and is beyond optical-- but that doesn't actually mean that they are using 192 mhz for the 5.1 and may still only go to 96 mhz or less, never topping out at the max bit rates. ( http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=91776) Additionally the DTS 'legacy' upto bit rate, 1509 kbps, is actually also just 96 mhz. In other words, why would you use a DTS core that's less than 96 mhz on a blueray? (unless you don't have or want to distribute a 96mhz track) Even if you were using DTS-HD/MA 5.1 @ 192 mhz, the core would still be 96 mhz by the legacy rule and any additional information would be encoded outside the core, would be what is increasing the bitrate.

I know that the LOTR BD are described as lossless 6.1 DTS-HD (so it's 'only' 96 mhz being over 5.1 channels). I also own the DVD LOTR extended edition with 6.1 DTS-ES soundtracks (again my avr is fully 96mhz/24bit 6.1-DTS-ES capable). Letting the avr do the decoding, the audio quality on these are NOT the same to my ears, and not the same to others as witnessed by the reviews: http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The_Lo...ay_Review/6544 What am I hearing then if it's not the lossless core version? The way it's been described it I would not be able to tell the difference between the two but there is a difference.

My AVR certainly doesn't understand DD-TrueHD all the time. When LFE are present (gunshots, explosions etc), my AVR goes silent and thinks that the soundtrack has a blank spot. If what everyone is saying were 100%, I wouldn't have to change the settings to get it to downmix if it just 'became' DD5.1 because it's output on the optical. Again, DD-TrueHD can go to 192 mhz when there are only 6.1 tracks or less otherwise it's max is once again, 96 mhz, but please tell me which discs actually have such a track besides Akira?

* See here: http://www.dts.com/professionals/sou...ter-audio.aspx

Sorry, but you totally lost me. Seems you're confusing sampling rate with bitrate. Also, you constantly refer to "mhz" when I think you mean "kHz".

Pretty sure that the new lossless codecs (DTS-HD MA, and Dolby TrueHD) can not be sent over optical without modification.
post #1296 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

You can use Google's other dns server ip of 8.8.4.4 or opendns' 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220, for the secondary.

Well I'm swapping the 220 for an S390 in the monring, this 220 just gets too much pixelation on 8 gig films that I've compressed/copied to 4 gig dvdr's. My N460 handled them much, much better with far less pixelation. But once I do the swap, I'll give that secondary dns a shot and see if that makes things even better. I'm pretty impressed iwth the speed test results right now, so its a shame I'm just not happy with how the player handles dvdr's. I haven't tried a dual layer dvdr yet to see if its any better, but that would be pointless since the majority of my dvd collection is 4 gig dvdr's.
post #1297 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxwin View Post

Sorry, but you totally lost me. Seems you're confusing sampling rate with bitrate. Also, you constantly refer to "mhz" when I think you mean "kHz".

Pretty sure that the new lossless codecs (DTS-HD MA, and Dolby TrueHD) can not be sent over optical without modification.

Lossless audio cannot be sent over optical. There simply isnt enough bandwidth. Click the display button when watching a blu ray and it will tell you the bitrate for the audio and video. Lossless is many Mbps and the most iI have seen over optical is 1.5Mbps and that is with DTS.
post #1298 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

Lossless audio cannot be sent over optical. There simply isnt enough bandwidth. Click the display button when watching a blu ray and it will tell you the bitrate for the audio and video. Lossless is many Mbps and the most iI have seen over optical is 1.5Mbps and that is with DTS.

I think the confusion over this issue is the fact that optical fiber theoretically has enough bandwidth, but no AV device has been or ever will be designed and built to use it. That ship has sailed, and it's called the HMS HDMI. A coat hanger may theoretically have enough bandwidth too, but it will never work because no one is going to make a device that will allow you to plug in several coat hanger twisted pairs, just as the s/pdif spec is never going to change.

As I said before, the fact that so many cannot accept that they're actually listening to lossy instead of lossless just shows how subtle the difference is. So if all you have is optical, go ahead plug it in and enjoy it until you upgrade to an HDMI capable AVR.
post #1299 of 4206 Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think the confusion over this issue is the fact that optical fiber theoretically has enough bandwidth, but no AV device has been or ever will be designed and built to use it. ... So if all you have is optical, go ahead plug it in and enjoy it until you upgrade to an HDMI capable AVR.

post #1300 of 4206 Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had the 220 for about a month and love it...with one exception. I was watching an old DVD (Star Trek: Nemesis) and notice that when the Enterprise was moving in space, there was a bit of "judder". Can't say I've noticed this on any newer DVDs or Blu-rays. Is this the TV (Samsung HL-S6187W 1080P DLP, 4 years old), receiver (Onkyo TX-NR509) or the 220?
post #1301 of 4206 Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by blporter View Post

I've had the 220 for about a month and love it...with one exception. I was watching an old DVD (Star Trek: Nemesis) and notice that when the Enterprise was moving in space, there was a bit of "judder". Can't say I've noticed this on any newer DVDs or Blu-rays. Is this the TV (Samsung HL-S6187W 1080P DLP, 4 years old), receiver (Onkyo TX-NR509) or the 220?

With DVD on a panasonic, you must enable 24p everytime you watch a disc (assuming your display supports it). IIRC, press Info, then advanced to change enable 24p. If your display doesn't support 24p, then there's nothing you can do.
post #1302 of 4206 Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Well I returned the 220 today and got an S590 and I'm getting some way different results, at least so far.

On the dvdr that I was getting menus that seemed to judder a bit on the 220, they seem to be perfectly still on the S590. Now to be fair, it could be the media I use. I bounce between Sony's dvdr's and Phillip's dvdr's, which I get at Big Lots for dirt cheap. But the weirdest thing isn't the dvdr thing, the weirdest thing is the Vudu thing. On the 220, as I mentioned earlier, I was not able to run a speed test on the 220 using my isp's dns numbers, it just kept coming up with a network error. So Vudu suggested I use Google's dns numbers to get to work, and Google's dns did work but on the speed test, the green bar went up about half way into the HD section of the meter. On the S590, while running the speed test, the green bar is going into the HDX part of the meter, and I'm getting all three bars of signal strength on vudu's signal strength graph. But the weirdest thing about all of this is this, I'm usign my isp's dns numbers on the S590, the same dns numbers that wouldn't allow me to connect to Vudu's speed test on the 220.

Of course I'll keep my eye on things and I'll run another speed test later tonight to see what happens. But so far it looks like the 220 either has weaker wifi, or the 220 just wasn't very compatible with my old router.

Weird.. weird.. weird...
post #1303 of 4206 Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Ok, now I am wondering if I made a mistake buying the 320. I've had it since April 13th and never had a problem. All Blu-Rays and any videos played off USB have been perfect.

That was until I tried Star Wars Episode IV from the blu-ray box set. Since I first posted about this problem (no audio problems, just skipping frames randomly in the video causing judder) I have tried everything - 24p ON / OFF, other enhancements ON / OFF, firmware for the 320 (it was up to date), my receiver (update was available), and my TV (it was up to date). I even looked into turning off any video processing on my receiver to make sure it was not causing problems. Nothing worked.

So tonight, I got my BDT-100 out of the box downstairs, swapped out the 320, and once again perfection. Not a single judder or skipped frame. Beautiful. Watched for over an hour looking for any defect. None. Can't watch 5 minutes without a problem on the 320. If I rewind and rewatch, there might be no problem in the same spot, but somewhere else. Like the 320 is tripping over itself trying to handle the video and gets overwhelmed or something.

I might think I have a defective unit, but everything else I have thrown at it plays perfectly. I know many problems have been reported with the Star Wars Blu Rays, but why do they play perfectly on my 100.

I would expect the 320 to have faster, more powerful processing than the 100... but does it? Are they using cheaper components? Or do I have a lemon.

Now what?
post #1304 of 4206 Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Hi I'm excited to pick up one of these this week. Although I've been looking through the tread and can't find a clear indication if cinavia is included within the firmware when you get this straight out of the box.

Just a few questions, I appreciate all the help.

-Does this include cinavia right out of the box?
-If not, will the streaming services work without updating? (I know sony requires this)
-Also, does this output 24p when playing mkv's off an external usb drive.

Thanks again, I look forward to picking one of these up.
post #1305 of 4206 Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexsational View Post

Hi I'm excited to pick up one of these this week. Although I've been looking through the tread and can't find a clear indication if cinavia is included within the firmware when you get this straight out of the box.

Just a few questions, I appreciate all the help.

-Does this include cinavia right out of the box?
-If not, will the streaming services work without updating? (I know sony requires this)
-Also, does this output 24p when playing mkv's off an external usb drive.

Thanks again, I look forward to picking one of these up.

All BD players shipping after 12 February this year required Cinavia detection to qualify for AACS licensing, said licensing required for playing probably 99.9% of commercial BDs. I'm pretty sure that these Panasonics shipped with Cinavia detection (the Cinavia Notice is in the BDT220's paper pack-in User's Guide), though I recall that the Sonys got it in an immediate firmware upgrade.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1306 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM

Wikipedia just went on about watermarks and copyright holders, and the Cinavia website just went on about errors one may get if they play a film that doesn't pass. But is this new "drm" format just for bd's, or cd's and dvd's as well? I'd find it a bit odd for studios to go back and do this watermark thing on their dvd back catalog, so I imagine it just will impact newer bd releases, and possibly newer dvd releases?
post #1307 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

I want to reiterate that that extremely long audio lag was present ONLY on the 220 and not on any other devices that had the Netflix app (Sony 52EX701, Sony 55HX729, PS3, my Macs & iPhone). The same titles played on my other devices were normal I did not check my Panny BDT210, however. My very long audio delay was gone the next morning but I remained concerned and returned it back to BB and exchanged it for my original purchase: a Sony BDP S590. No issues with Netflix or anything; slower load times but I can live with that. Having black flashes on my BDT-210 was enough. Although I have Netflix built into both TVs and my PS3, I still wanted my BD player to not have issues. The 220 is a real nice player-I just made the decision to try another Sony. It really was weird that the audio delay just left as quickly as it came. Might it have been a server issue? Netflix worked perfectly on all my other devices that night. It just shook my confidence and I was way at the start of my exchange period.

Funny thing here too , after the first day of lip-sync issues with Netflix....with the latest firmware and trying all sorts of adjustments to no avail ....my 220 has since synced perfectly for a week now, couldn't be happier. No explanations , just crossing my fingers. = : )
post #1308 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

With DVD on a panasonic, you must enable 24p everytime you watch a disc (assuming your display supports it). IIRC, press Info, then advanced to change enable 24p. If your display doesn't support 24p, then there's nothing you can do.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I think my DLP TV is to old to support 24p, but I'll check this weekend.
post #1309 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 15
I've never had a Blu Ray player before. I'm liking the Panasonic reviews. I have an 82" Mitsubishi 3D HDTV, a Sony STRDH720 3D AV Receiver, and a set of MartinLogan 5.1 speakers.

I'm looking for my Blu Ray to: 1) Have great picture and sound; 2) Upscale my DVD's as good as possible; 3) Good built-in wireless; 4) 3D clarity; and 5) Able to stream NetFlix movies well.

I don't think I need my Blu Ray to do a lot else for me. Do you guys have any suggestions on whether the BDT 220 or BDT 320 is a better option for me given the things I'm asking it to do? Thank you in advance for your insights!

Nate

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
post #1310 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDoggg View Post

I've never had a Blu Ray player before. I'm liking the Panasonic reviews. I have an 82" Mitsubishi 3D HDTV, a Sony STRDH720 3D AV Receiver, and a set of MartinLogan 5.1 speakers.

I'm looking for my Blu Ray to: 1) Have great picture and sound; 2) Upscale my DVD's as good as possible; 3) Good built-in wireless; 4) 3D clarity; and 5) Able to stream NetFlix movies well.

I don't think I need my Blu Ray to do a lot else for me. Do you guys have any suggestions on whether the BDT 220 or BDT 320 is a better option for me given the things I'm asking it to do? Thank you in advance for your insights!

Nate

I own the 2011 & 2012 panny's and my new favorite
Is the Sony S790 - Check it out as well.
post #1311 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I own the 2011 & 2012 panny's and my new favorite
Is the Sony S790 - Check it out as well.

that puppy is slightly out of my price range. I was more in the price range of the S590, but it wasn't as highly rated as the Panny 220 or 320. I appreciate the info though - I just can't find the S790 for under $250, and my price limit is about $160.

you said you own the 2011 & 2012 Panny's...do you like them? and which models do u own?

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1312 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

that puppy is slightly out of my price range. I was more in the price range of the S590, but it wasn't as highly rated as the Panny 220 or 320. I appreciate the info though - I just can't find the S790 for under $250, and my price limit is about $160.

you said you own the 2011 & 2012 Panny's...do you like them? and which models do u own?

Save up $80 it will be worth it.

$250 is a steal.
post #1313 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Save up $80 it will be worth it.

$250 is a steal.

It's only a "steal" if you actually desire and will use whatever features it offers over the $150-or-less BDP-S590. (Also, according to its page on Sony's site, $249.99 is the list price for the S790. No one seems to be significantly discounting it as yet).

post #1314 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's only a "steal" if you actually desire and will use whatever features it offers over the $150-or-less BDP-S590. (Also No one seems to be significantly discounting it as yet).

I just simply can't afford the S790. And, from all the reviews I've read, the Panny 220 and 320 were rated higher than the Sony S590. My original question is: what is better for my needs - the 220 OR the 320. I want good PQ and sound, upconvert DVD, good 3D, and good NetFlix stream. I don't need a ton of other stuff. Which model (220 or 320) best fits the bill for what I'm doing?

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1315 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Using my new Panny 220 to watch a few DVD movies the last few days. What I'm missing is a subtitle button. On my old Momitsu V880 it was right there. Had to incrementally go through the various subtitles (English, French, Spanish, Off), that kind of thing but at least I could do so with a single push of a dedicated button on the remote. AFAI can tell, on this thing I have to first go to the Options menu and then scroll over to subtitles, and etc. Is there an easier way (other than to program a macro on a universal remote)? I have not as yet turned on subtitles with this thing. It's an issue for me because my hearing isn't so great.
post #1316 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I just simply can't afford the S790. And, from all the reviews I've read, the Panny 220 and 320 were rated higher than the Sony S590. My original question is: what is better for my needs - the 220 OR the 320. I want good PQ and sound, upconvert DVD, good 3D, and good NetFlix stream. I don't need a ton of other stuff. Which model (220 or 320) best fits the bill for what I'm doing?

What you are mentioning as important will be exactly the same on either model. The main difference between the two is that the 320 has the slot drive and the touchpad remote. If those two features aren't important, go with the 220.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1317 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Go to the Amazon site and scroll to the middle of the page and you will see a list of the differences. Sounds like the 220 will suite your needs.

lujan
658 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1318 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

What you are mentioning as important will be exactly the same on either model. The main difference between the two is that the 320 has the slot drive and the touchpad remote. If those two features aren't important, go with the 220.

S~

Not sure what the "slot drive" is, but the touchpad remote doesn't sway me one way or another. Thank you for your answer though - I'm not up to speed on Blu Rays yet so I need some guidance. They are both solid components for their price right?

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1319 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Go to the Amazon site and scroll to the middle of the page and you will see a list of the differences. Sounds like the 220 will suite your needs.

I'm beginning to think the 220 will be fine as well. I checked all the Specs and differences, but I'd rather get my info "word of mouth" from people like you that have actually experienced these players. Thank you.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #1320 of 4206 Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not sure what the "slot drive" is, but the touchpad remote doesn't sway me one way or another. Thank you for your answer though - I'm not up to speed on Blu Rays yet so I need some guidance. They are both solid components for their price right?

Slot versus drawer. With the 220, you press the eject button and the disc drawer slides out into which you drop a disc or remove one that you're done with. With the 320's slot drive, you insert a disc into the slot and the drive sucks it in and spits it most of the way out when you eject it. If you have a PS3, you have a slot drive disc player.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bdt220 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page