DAC audio quality - Oppo 93 vs Yamaha RX-A1010? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

A question regarding DAC. I have an Oppo BDP-93 blueray player connected to a yamaha aventage RX-A1010 reciver.
I was a loss whether to have placed this post in the Oppo 93 thread or the aventage thread as it is regarding both units.
So I gave it its own. Sorry it this is a transgression. Don't shoot the forum newbie

I was wondering: regarding regular CD stereo playback(and FLACs :-) played on my oppo, what unit has the superior DAC sound quality and therefore should handle DACing?
For pratical purpose: is it coax digital audio cable or high quality analog RCA from oppo to reciever, NO HDMI for this purpose(I use only for videoplayback) as I'm experiencing HDCP handshake audio drop-outs on CDDA only
But that is not relevant for the purpose of this post.

I know the oppo has Cirrus Logic something and the Aventage Burr-Brown something else, but that doesn't mean much to me.
So:
1. which has better audio quality when DACing PCM stereo 16b/44khz(and FLACS) to analog(oppo or yahama)?
2. cable recommendation:
if Yamaha aventage DAC/audio is superior I'm thinking QED Preformance coax digi.
but if Oppo 93s DAC/audio is superior I'm really at a loss as to what price range or model analog RCA interconnect to choose to get everything I can out of this combo. Someone I know mentioned van den Hul The Wave but i dont know. Is that the killer at this price range? How high should I go?

I'm planning upgrading my speakers in the future to some high-range model to really be able to tell the difference(right now its difficult due to old less that ideal speakers) so I want to be ready for that and I don't want to splash a fortune on killer analog RCAs if it is not necessary.

Any help, input and personal experience will be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does no one on this site know the comparable (stereo) sound quality(or DAC quality) of these 2 products?
Perhaps a simple answer to this does not exists?
But I'm trying the bare bone core question again here in case my post got overlooked:

Which has the superior audio quality and should preferrably handle the DAC duties for CDDA in my future setup:
the player: Oppo BDP-93 (and expensive stereo RCA quality cable to receiver)
or
The receiver: Yamaha Aventage 1010 (and less expensive coax digital cable to receiver)
Read somewhere that the oppo 93 uses Cirrus CS4382A
and the yamaha A1010 uses some sort of Burr Brown
but I don't know the major differences or if it is relevant.

Can someone please help me out regarding this question?

I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 375
You'll get a better response posting in one of the existing threads.

-Bill

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1010bl Receiver
Gear in this thread - A1010bl by PriceGrabber.com