Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 4022 Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

Not sure this workaround will work. I thought during setup up the 590 it asks how it is connected to the tv (hdmi or composite). I'm not near the player and may be getting mixed up with something else I own. But hey, won't hurt to try.
If it doesn't work, it may not like sending the audio over HDMI and video over composite.

I haven't tried this on my 590 but a similar setup to what Vampidemic describes worked just fine with my 570 recently when I bought a soundbar and didn't have enough HDMI cables initially. I connected the RGB composite video outputs directly from the 570 to the TV and then connected an optical cable I had lying around from the optical out on the 570 to the optical input on the soundbar. Like Vamp was saying, you'll need to select the correct inputs on both the TV and the receiver (I think the options there are "Auto" or "HDMI" based on p. 62 of the SC-37 manual). And yes, for the 590 Easy Setup, you'd have to chose the analog connection to the TV as opposed to HDMI. Since there is not a similar toggle for audio on the 590, whatever you have connected from the 590 to the SC-37 will produce sound in the appropriate format, again depending on the input chosen on the SC-37. Good luck, sf49erJohn and sorry about the recent Super Bowl - let us know how it works out.

Sorry - I meant to say "I connected the RGB component video outputs directly from the 570 to the TV..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny-zed View Post

I haven't tried this on my 590 but a similar setup to what Vampidemic describes worked just fine with my 570 recently when I bought a soundbar and didn't have enough HDMI cables initially. I connected the RGB composite video outputs directly from the 570 to the TV and then connected an optical cable I had lying around from the optical out on the 570 to the optical input on the soundbar.

I have a similar setup to yours which works as well: HDMI to Sony HX729 and digital coax to Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX. My concern is our setups don't use HDMI for audio, and once you say the video is not going through HDMI, if it will turn off that connection for security reasons. Having audio output via HDMI and video through composite is not a very common setup so I was thinking with all the security and signal downgrading rules (as of last year, blu-ray players must downgrade the component video signal to a max of 480p), I wouldn't put it past them to not allow this sort of set-up.

post #2973 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 AM

I know this isn't the right forum for this question, but it touches upon a recent topic. My reciever is a Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX, and can decode DD EX & PL-IIX as well as DTS-ES. However, it came out before the DTS-MA and D-THD formats came out. I have it hooked up to digital coax (since it doesn't have HDMI connections) and a 7.1 setup, and feel that when the player passes on the core soundtrack from 7.1 DTA-MA and 5.1 D-THD, the sound sounds great to me.

Is DTS-MA/D-THD noticeably that much better that it would warrant an upgrade from the receiver I currently have? Or is it like comparing 720p and 1080p on a 40" tv? Whereas there's a slight difference if you look hard enough, but most can't discern between the two.

post #2974 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:

My concern is our setups don't use HDMI for audio, and once you say the video is not going through HDMI, if it will turn off that connection for security reasons. Having audio output via HDMI and video through composite is not a very common setup

Agree that it's not very common but your comment intrigued me - What sort of a security threat does sending only an audio signal between a BDP and an AVR pose and to whom? Are Blu-ray manufacturers concerned about people illegally copying a movie soundtrack? I admit I'm not enlightened on this topic so would like to better understand it. Thanks!
post #2975 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Audio is sent over HDMI on the same wires as the video during the video signal's vertical retrace (aka vertical blanking) interval. If there's no video at all, there can't be any audio, either. As a result, most systems send a blank video signal. Note that the video resolution also determines the bitrate, so the highest HD audio bitrates require the use of a high-bitrate video signal, too. (Sorry: I don't recall the exact requrements.)

Selden
post #2976 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

My concern is our setups don't use HDMI for audio, and once you say the video is not going through HDMI, if it will turn off that connection for security reasons. Having audio output via HDMI and video through composite is not a very common setup

Agree that it's not very common but your comment intrigued me - What sort of a security threat does sending only an audio signal between a BDP and an AVR pose and to whom? Are Blu-ray manufacturers concerned about people illegally copying a movie soundtrack? I admit I'm not enlightened on this topic so would like to better understand it. Thanks!

That's the stance of the production studios, not most of the BD player manufacturers. The studios require that encryption be used to protect their high resolution products so consumers can't copy them. That's why HDCP encryption is part of the HDMI standard, and licensed HDMI products won't play high resolution audio and video signals if the HDMI or DVI display device doesn't support HDCP. [eta] and why hires multichannel audio can't be transported over S/PDIF coax and optical connections.[/eta] Of course, that does not prevent sophisticated pirates from copying things. *sigh*

Selden
post #2977 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

That's the stance of the production studios, not most of the BD player manufacturers. The studios require that encryption be used to protect their high resolution products so consumers can't copy them. That's why HDCP encryption is part of the HDMI standard, and licensed HDMI products won't play high resolution audio and video signals if the HDMI or DVI display device doesn't support HDCP. [eta] and why hires multichannel audio can't be transported over S/PDIF coax and optical connections.[/eta] Of course, that does not prevent sophisticated pirates from copying things. *sigh*
Selden Ball nailed my thoughts exactly. I'm sure the studios were very weary of providing what effectively is a studio-master for an audio track with a high bit-rate without some sort of mechanism in place to prevent a copying of this signal (i.e. HDCP handshaking for video).

post #2978 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM

That all makes sense (and btw, by "Blu-ray manufacturers" I was referring to manufacturers of the discs (i.e. the studios) not really the BD players. I should have been more clear in my language). I haven't read the HDMI or HDCP standards but I'm taking this to mean that the video and audio streams may not be encrypted individually. Hence if you decompose the combined audio/video into distinct physical connections to individual output devices, you may not be able to manage a successful HDCP handshake, thus sacrificing hi-res audio (DTS-MA/D-THD, etc.) even over HDMI. On the other hand, if they *are* encrypted individually, I see no reason why sf49erJohn wouldn't be able to do what I suggested in post #2971.

Update: I just did a quick scan through the Wikipedia article on HDCP which indicates that HDCP-compatible devices can generate up to 16 individual keys, so it may be that individually encrypting audio and video streams is technically feasible, although the BDP-S590 would have to support that capability and the SC-37 would have to be HDCP-compliant as well, which it clearly is given its support for the HD audio formats. cool.gif

But enough speculation! LOL! When I get home later I'll connect the analog video line out from my 590 to my TV, reconfigure through Easy Setup and see what happens to the audio as a result. Anyone interested in the results? eek.gif
post #2979 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM

My understanding of the technology is that HDCP requires a secure handshaking between source and display. What Selden Ball was saying is that the premise of HDMI is to utilize one cable for a secure video/audio connection, and from his comment I'm lead to believe that video takes preference. If you don't pass the video signal along the HDMI, then no audio will be passed along either. However, you can pass along a video signal through the HDMI without the audio, which is the backwards capability of DVI-HDMI.

I'm a hands-on person and would like to know for my own knowledge. As I mentioned before, my AVR is a few years old and doesn't have the HDMI connections.
I also just want to thank everyone who contributed what they know on this topic so everyone can learn a little more.

post #2980 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:

My understanding of the technology is that HDCP requires a secure handshaking between source and display.

That may be true. The example in the Wikipedia article was one source to multiple displays. In a sports bar setting, for example, the source (say, a satellite receiver) would have to negotiate HDCP keys with each display up to 16. I'm just not sure if there is flexibility to negotiate separate keys for distinct media streams. Seems like the answer is probably "no." rolleyes.gif

Quote:
What Selden Ball was saying is that the premise of HDMI is to utilize one cable for a secure video/audio connection, and from his comment I'm lead to believe that video takes preference. If you don't pass the video signal along the HDMI, then no audio will be passed along either. However, you can pass along a video signal through the HDMI without the audio, which is the backwards capability of DVI-HDMI.

Yes, I agree that the premise is to combine them into one cable and his explanation makes sense.

Quote:
I'm a hands-on person and would like to know for my own knowledge. As I mentioned before, my AVR is a few years old and doesn't have the HDMI connections.
I also just want to thank everyone who contributed what they know on this topic so everyone can learn a little more.

I've never actually tried using composite video with HDMI for audio only because all of my components support HDMI so there was never a reason to try. I've only used composite for both video and audio or composite for video and optical for audio. Based on Selden's comments I don't expect my little experiment to bear fruit, but I'll still try it.

I too appreciate everyone on this thread. I've actually learned a ton and it's really helped me in terms of picking out and shopping for equipment, and then installing and configuring it. My wife and kids think I'm a total geek but I don't care. I've saved a ton of money and avoided hours of aggravation just based on what I've read and learned about on AVS Forum and my entire family just enjoys being entertained in full HD/surround glory. This stuff is really fun. biggrin.gif
post #2981 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

jonny,

FWIW, I belive you should be able to listen to HDMI high definition audio when only composite video is being used. My understanding is that receivers emulate a display if none is connected, and you can listen to SACDs with no display active. Using a composite (standard definition) video connection should be much like that.

Selden
post #2982 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49erjohn View Post

I purchased a BDP-S590 this past weekend and have not been able to get the unit to play the DTS-HD Master Audio when I put in the The Dark Knight Rises blu-ray disc. I fiddled with the audio settings but all I get is DD. My receiver is a Pioneer SC-37. I am using a HDMI cable out from the S590 to the SC-37 then component out of the receiver to the television because there is no HDMI connection on the Pioneer Pro-510. I searched this thread but have not found anyone with my receiver having this problem. Does anyone have the Audio setting combinations for DTS-HD with my setup for watching movies and also the appropriate settings for playing SACD's? Thanks so much in advance!

Watching blu-rays in DTS-HD audio but 480 video definition kinda sucks, I would try to get an HDMI to Component (green +blue+red) converter. I know they can be a bit pricey but at least is cheaper than upgrading your display.
post #2983 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post

Watching blu-rays in DTS-HD audio but 480 video definition kinda sucks, I would try to get an HDMI to Component (green +blue+red) converter. I know they can be a bit pricey but at least is cheaper than upgrading your display.

He said that he was using component out of his receiver, not composite; it should be 1080p res.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2984 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post

He said that he was using component out of his receiver, not composite; it should be 1080p res.

Yes, but in a follow-up post he also said he had the composite output of his BDP plugged into his receiver and he only gets video when that input is selected. I'm not familiar with his receiver, but if it even has the ability to convert the HDMI signal to analog, it should refuse to do this in any case where HDCP applies.

I think whether a solution for high definition video is needed depends on the TV, if it is an old 480i CRT, getting a HDMI to component converter would not likely be worthwhile. If the OP has an HD TV, the easiest solution would probably be to get a used player made prior to Analog sunset with component outputs.
post #2985 of 4022 Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

I'm not familiar with his receiver, but if it even has the ability to convert the HDMI signal to analog, it should refuse to do this in any case where HDCP applies.

You have a point; I think by HDCP rules analog output of protected video is constrained to 1/4 res, 540x960. Are there HDMI-to-component converters which break this rule?

post #2986 of 4022 Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:

I haven't tried this on my 590 but a similar setup to what Vampidemic describes worked just fine with my 570 recently when I bought a soundbar and didn't have enough HDMI cables initially. I connected the RGB composite video outputs directly from the 570 to the TV and then connected an optical cable I had lying around from the optical out on the 570 to the optical input on the soundbar. Like Vamp was saying, you'll need to select the correct inputs on both the TV and the receiver (I think the options there are "Auto" or "HDMI" based on p. 62 of the SC-37 manual). And yes, for the 590 Easy Setup, you'd have to chose the analog connection to the TV as opposed to HDMI. Since there is not a similar toggle for audio on the 590, whatever you have connected from the 590 to the SC-37 will produce sound in the appropriate format, again depending on the input chosen on the SC-37. Good luck, sf49erJohn and sorry about the recent Super Bowl - let us know how it works out.

Jonny-
Yes the Super Bowl didnt quite end the way I was hoping. mad.gif That being said I was able to run a composite cable out of my S590 directly to the Pioneer Pro510HD and watch the The Dark Knight Rises by changing the input on the TV and enjoy DTS HD audio. However I would still like to understand why no video is being passed through HDMI to the SC-37 and then component cable to the television. For now it works and the DTS HD audio is impressive. I went on the SC-37 Receiver page and inquired, hopefully someone has an answer and will reply. Do I need to purchase an HDMI to Component converter to make this work? I assume if so I should get 1080P? Not knowing the technical aspects of this I assumed the SC-37 would pass the HDMI video through the SC-37 to the monitor via component cable but it doesnt.

John
post #2987 of 4022 Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49erjohn View Post

Jonny-
Yes the Super Bowl didnt quite end the way I was hoping. mad.gif That being said I was able to run a composite cable out of my S590 directly to the Pioneer Pro510HD and watch the The Dark Knight Rises by changing the input on the TV and enjoy DTS HD audio. However I would still like to understand why no video is being passed through HDMI to the SC-37 and then component cable to the television. For now it works and the DTS HD audio is impressive. I went on the SC-37 Receiver page and inquired, hopefully someone has an answer and will reply. Do I need to purchase an HDMI to Component converter to make this work? I assume if so I should get 1080P? Not knowing the technical aspects of this I assumed the SC-37 would pass the HDMI video through the SC-37 to the monitor via component cable but it doesnt.

John

John,

I checked the manual for your SC-37 receiver. As per page 31, since your are feeding your TV with component inputs, you need to use analog video inputs (component or composite) to feed your receiver if you want the receiver to pass on those video inputs to the TV. This is pretty typical, some receivers will do an analog to digital conversion of the video signal, but the the reverse is problematic due to the content protection used for digital video (HDCP). RCA component video maxes out at 1080i, so you won't get 1080p over component video connections even if you had a BD player with component outputs.

If your TV has a DVI input and supports HDCP, you should get an HDMI to DVI adapter to interface your TV with your receiver. If you have an HDTV without HDMI or DVI that you plan on keeping for awhile, you may want to return you BDP-S590 and find an older Blu-ray player which has component outputs AND does not honor Analog sunset restrictions. Do some reading on 'Analog Sunset' to understand what this is all about, but the gist of it is that the Blu-ray manufacturers and content providers have conspired to phase out HD analog video based on the notion that it's less secure and easier to copy. No BD player made after March 2012 can offer component outputs. Most players from 2011 and later restrict the output resolution of protected video over component outputs as well, so you would probably need a player from 2010 or earlier and you'll want to do some research to make sure whatever player you choose doesn't downscale video over component when playing protected discs. To further complicate matters, a lot of the cheaper BD players from major manufacturers tend to fail within a few years, putting you in more of a predicament. If you plan on keeping your set for awhile, you might want to look into a specialty player like the Oppos. I've never owned one myself, but they have a reputation for stellar service and can apparently be repaired cost effectively, which is not true of most other players. You would still need to get an older (used) player (I think the BDP-83 would work, but you'll want to confirm).

There may be some HDMI to component converters available that will solve your problem, but it would have to be something black market to get around HDCP restrictions and quality will likely vary by product, so I would not suggest going down this route unless someone on AVS can recommend an affordable solution proven to perform well for this specific task. Personally, I would be looking to acquire an HDMI set sooner than later if I were you, that's just the way things have gone in the industry. More and more devices are being released without analog outputs and/or inputs.and that trend is not going to change.
post #2988 of 4022 Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 AM

sf49erjohn - what exactly was displayed on your SC-37 - DTS, DTS HD, or DTS HD-MA?

I'm curious because here's the use case I tested this morning and the results:

Setup:
HDMI between my BDP-S590 and my Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver and HDMI between the receiver and my Samsung UN55EH6001 TV - this is my usual setup
Composite video between the 590 and the TV - this was added for the purpose of this test

Steps:
  1. Powered off all components, waited a minute, then turned them all back on
  2. Confirmed both video connections by alternately choosing between HDMI and composite sources on the TV
  3. Selected the composite source on the TV
  4. Ran the 590 Easy Setup configuration and selected "video"
  5. Played "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" BD - Dolby Digital (DD) displayed on the AVR once the disc loaded
  6. Selected a chapter and played - audio displayed on the AVR - DTS
  7. Stopped playing the disc
  8. Selected HDMI source on the TV - noted that HDMI resolution shown on the display when I switched to this was 720p. Makes sense as the 590 was still configured for and generating a composite video signal
  9. Ran the 590 Easy Setup configuration again and selected "HDMI" - noted at the conclusion of the setup that HDMI resolution changed to 1920x1080/60p
  10. Played the same BD - HDMI resolution now 1920x1080/24p as expected
  11. Selected the same chapter and played - audio displayed on the AVR - DTS HD-MA

Conclusion:
Degrading the video signal from the BDP also degrades the audio even if both the BDP and receiver support HD audio and are connected via HDMI. This is consistent with Selden Ball's comments in post #2975
post #2989 of 4022 Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sadly we're at the point where HD monitors without HDMI inputs are at a big disadvantage. A couple of years ago we hit the beginning of the so called "analog sunset"; the manufacturers and media publishers had an agreement to not impose limitations on HD analog connections up to that point. After that point no analog video outputs on BDPs (and perhaps other things) are allowed; this year (I think) no analog audio outputs on BDPs are allowed. (It started out as an open agreement but the rules have since been codified in the AACS licensing agreement which all BDP manufacturers have to sign). You could locate a few years old BDP with component outputs, but publishers are now allowed to use the Image Constraint Token (ICT) on discs which constrains video output over analog connections to 540x960 res; players have been set up to obey the ICT from the beginning. I don't know whether publishers have been using the ICT, but they could start at any time. Disc whose contents are marked with the ICT have to be clearly marked on the packaging.

They came up with this agreement 6 or 7 years ago, thinking that 5 years would minimize the number of impacted legacy televisions in use.

post #2990 of 4022 Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Sfe49ejohn,

What everyone here has posted is absolutely correct, I was exactly in the same boat as you. My Panny TV only has component inputs and i been using a Samsung bdp-up5000 HD-DVD/bluray combo player to watch my movies which sounds and looks awesome but since its an old player there are no firmware updates and it doesnt play some newer titles such as the ones made by Disney. So i knew had to get a second bluray player so the conditions were

1-analog outputs
2-made before 2011 so there wouldnt be analog restrictions n I could get 1080i res
3-be able to simultaneusly output analog and HDMI so that the receiver could decode the high res audio

And to make matters worst i wanted one that could play SACDs since i have a few of those. Of course that only leaves elite Pioneer players and Oppo which cost hundreds which I didn't want to spendso i thought about getting a used 2010 Sony which had analog outputs and is the only cheap player that can play SACD but after reading how many are currently breaking down I said **** it ill just get the 590 and a projector instead and call it a day
post #2991 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

jonny,

There might be a difference in how the audio is treated depending on whether the player detects "HDMI video display present but not selected" and "no HDMI video display present". In other words, you might try your "composite video with HDMI audio" test with the TV's HDMI cable unplugged, so that the player can't detect the TV's configuration.

Selden
post #2992 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 11
I am trying to use my media remote app with my 590 and everything seems to be working fine. The one thing I can't do on the mediaremote app is enter text. Every time i try and open that function i get the following error message "cannot receive text at this time". Has anyone else experienced this or know how to remedy it?
post #2993 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

I am trying to use my media remote app with my 590 and everything seems to be working fine. The one thing I can't do on the mediaremote app is enter text. Every time i try and open that function i get the following error message "cannot receive text at this time". Has anyone else experienced this or know how to remedy it?

You have to first select the text field and then the onscreen keyboard displays on the tv. Only then can you input text via media remote.

Note this does not work for Vudu or netflix.
post #2994 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Sadly we're at the point where HD monitors without HDMI inputs are at a big disadvantage. A couple of years ago we hit the beginning of the so called "analog sunset"; the manufacturers and media publishers had an agreement to not impose limitations on HD analog connections up to that point. After that point no analog video outputs on BDPs (and perhaps other things) are allowed; this year (I think) no analog audio outputs on BDPs are allowed. (It started out as an open agreement but the rules have since been codified in the AACS licensing agreement which all BDP manufacturers have to sign). You could locate a few years old BDP with component outputs, but publishers are now allowed to use the Image Constraint Token (ICT) on discs which constrains video output over analog connections to 540x960 res; players have been set up to obey the ICT from the beginning. I don't know whether publishers have been using the ICT, but they could start at any time. Disc whose contents are marked with the ICT have to be clearly marked on the packaging.

They came up with this agreement 6 or 7 years ago, thinking that 5 years would minimize the number of impacted legacy televisions in use.

Yes. If you look at the new Sony 2013 players they have no analog outputs. Not even composite or analog audio !!!
post #2995 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

You have to first select the text field and then the onscreen keyboard displays on the tv. Only then can you input text via media remote.

Note this does not work for Vudu or netflix.

Thanks, that is dumb it wont work with Netflix. That is what i tried it with. Kind of a pain to use the point and click method with netflix
post #2996 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

John,

I checked the manual for your SC-37 receiver. As per page 31, since your are feeding your TV with component inputs, you need to use analog video inputs (component or composite) to feed your receiver if you want the receiver to pass on those video inputs to the TV. This is pretty typical, some receivers will do an analog to digital conversion of the video signal, but the the reverse is problematic due to the content protection used for digital video (HDCP). RCA component video maxes out at 1080i, so you won't get 1080p over component video connections even if you had a BD player with component outputs.

If your TV has a DVI input and supports HDCP, you should get an HDMI to DVI adapter to interface your TV with your receiver. If you have an HDTV without HDMI or DVI that you plan on keeping for awhile, you may want to return you BDP-S590 and find an older Blu-ray player which has component outputs AND does not honor Analog sunset restrictions. Do some reading on 'Analog Sunset' to understand what this is all about, but the gist of it is that the Blu-ray manufacturers and content providers have conspired to phase out HD analog video based on the notion that it's less secure and easier to copy. No BD player made after March 2012 can offer component outputs. Most players from 2011 and later restrict the output resolution of protected video over component outputs as well, so you would probably need a player from 2010 or earlier and you'll want to do some research to make sure whatever player you choose doesn't downscale video over component when playing protected discs. To further complicate matters, a lot of the cheaper BD players from major manufacturers tend to fail within a few years, putting you in more of a predicament. If you plan on keeping your set for awhile, you might want to look into a specialty player like the Oppos. I've never owned one myself, but they have a reputation for stellar service and can apparently be repaired cost effectively, which is not true of most other players. You would still need to get an older (used) player (I think the BDP-83 would work, but you'll want to confirm).

There may be some HDMI to component converters available that will solve your problem, but it would have to be something black market to get around HDCP restrictions and quality will likely vary by product, so I would not suggest going down this route unless someone on AVS can recommend an affordable solution proven to perform well for this specific task. Personally, I would be looking to acquire an HDMI set sooner than later if I were you, that's just the way things have gone in the industry. More and more devices are being released without analog outputs and/or inputs.and that trend is not going to change.

Vampidemic-
Thanks fotr the information regarding analog to digital conversion and recommendation. My Pioneer monitor is not going to last forever and I agree the better approach is to replace it and run HDMI from my devices rather than dicking around with converters that may or may not work. I bought the S590 now because of the positive comments and I was able to get it for $99 at BB. I will be patient and enjoy it as is until I get another display. Thanks so much for letting me leverage your expertise and the tip to read Analog Sunset!

Quote name="jonny-zed" url="/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2970#post_22972303"]sf49erjohn - what exactly was displayed on your SC-37 - DTS, DTS HD, or DTS HD-MA?

I'm curious because here's the use case I tested this morning and the results:

Setup:
HDMI between my BDP-S590 and my Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver and HDMI between the receiver and my Samsung UN55EH6001 TV - this is my usual setup
Composite video between the 590 and the TV - this was added for the purpose of this test

Steps:
  1. Powered off all components, waited a minute, then turned them all back on
  2. Confirmed both video connections by alternately choosing between HDMI and composite sources on the TV
  3. Selected the composite source on the TV
  4. Ran the 590 Easy Setup configuration and selected "video"
  5. Played "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" BD - Dolby Digital (DD) displayed on the AVR once the disc loaded
  6. Selected a chapter and played - audio displayed on the AVR - DTS
  7. Stopped playing the disc
  8. Selected HDMI source on the TV - noted that HDMI resolution shown on the display when I switched to this was 720p. Makes sense as the 590 was still configured for and generating a composite video signal
  9. Ran the 590 Easy Setup configuration again and selected "HDMI" - noted at the conclusion of the setup that HDMI resolution changed to 1920x1080/60p
  10. Played the same BD - HDMI resolution now 1920x1080/24p as expected
  11. Selected the same chapter and played - audio displayed on the AVR - DTS HD-MA

Conclusion:
Degrading the video signal from the BDP also degrades the audio even if both the BDP and receiver support HD audio and are connected via HDMI. This is consistent with Selden Ball's comments in post #2975[/quote]

Jonny-
My SC-37 is showing DTS on the display not DTS HD-MA with a Composite cable to the monitor from the S590 and HDMI from the S590 to the SC-37. I didnt run the 590 Easy setup after changing the config.
John
post #2997 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

Thanks, that is dumb it wont work with Netflix. That is what i tried it with. Kind of a pain to use the point and click method with netflix

yea, its kind of to do with legacy. Before the 2012 players, sony used a their own UI variant of netflix and indeed the App use to work with that for text. However since the 2012 players are now using the standard netflix ui the iOS/Android app never got updated to work with the new netflix app. I've complained to Sony about it ... but its either beyond their control, or they dont care.

They have launched a new App called TV Side view that will work with the 2012 players, but right now its not supporting any video apps.
post #2998 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes. If you look at the new Sony 2013 players they have no analog outputs. Not even composite or analog audio !!!

Here's a picture of it:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
51MPg4NToqL._SL1500_.jpg

Removing all analog outs really cleans up the back panel biggrin.gif! I can't find a picture of the back of the 2013 Panasonics--it's like they think that the lack of analog connections will scare people rolleyes.gif.

post #2999 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Beautiful. biggrin.gif
post #3000 of 4022 Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes. I started a new thread on the 2013 players here. There are links to the Sony esupport pages where you can download and view the owners manuals.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100

The 1100 is available now with the 3100 and 5100 should being available in about a week or so. Think ill be skipping the 2013 players, unless folks report something really improved !
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page