AVS Forum banner
625K views 4K replies 602 participants last post by  TimA 
#1 ·

Do you have a issue with HD audio from these players? DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD not showing up on your receiver?

See the following posts within this thread.

See posts #193, #203, #204, #499, and #740.

590 features over 390.

1. 3D support

2. Additional rear USB port

3. Optical audio output

4. Front display

5. Standard width

Comparison (courtesy of Amazon):

DLNA and USB update with the S590/S390/S790

NTFS formatted USB drive fully supported.

Sony will play the following formats NATIVELY over DLNA.

Video:

Container: MKV. Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: M2TS Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, VC-1, Mpeg2. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: VOB Video codec:Mpeg 2. Audio codec: LPCM, Dolby Digital

Container: m4v mp4 Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, XVID. Audio Codec: AAC

Audio:

Mp3, AAC

Tested with

Mac:

Playback DLNA server (Yazsoft)

Serviio and  Homestream

PLAYBACK DLNA from Yazsoft

For the best iLife integration with iTunes and iPhoto, Playback DLNA server is superb !!

Get Playback Here > http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

Serviio/Homestream work with Windows, Mac and Linux

Sony has its own re-branded version of Serviio called HomeStream. You can download it here .

Use the BRAVIA profile. Don't use the default BD player profile, as Sony made some changes during a recent firmware update !

Serviio users, use the "Bravia 2012 - US" profile for best compatibility and minimum transcoding or remuxing. You can decide if you enable transcoding or not on the server. See files supported above.

Basically, if you have a bunch of MKVs using the VC-1 or Mpeg2 codecs and don't want to remux with TSMuxer, then you will need to enable transcoding on Serviio or Homestream to playback the files.

A note about MKVs. You may find FF/REW will not work very well with the player. M2TS containers work fine, but then dont support chapter markers ... so there are trade-offs.

Support Info

Sony has added the S590 (and S390) to their USA support pages. Available here .

Useful Settings

During playback of BD or DVD

Picture Quality : Normal (standard mode. Avoid using the others)

BNR: Off

MNR: Off

During Internet video playback

IP Content Noise Reduction: Off

Screen Settings:

All defaults other than:

Screen Format: Actually toggle this one back and forth between Full and Normal depending on if I want 4:3 content to be stretched across 16:9. This setting only effects DVD. Streaming content is not effected (with latest firmware).

** Ensure you download the latest firmware that addresses an issue with YCbCr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB colorspaces **

The firmware may also introduce a problem playing back some files with DLNA. If you are using Serviio or HomeShare, refer to the following post with a fix:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/1560#post_22244982

Audio settings:

DSD Output mode: DSD (note, you can only do this if you're receiver can decode DSD directly

BD Audio Mix: Off (Allows for high-resolution audio bitstream from player)

Audio DRC: Off (Hate compression generally)

Downmix: Surround (if you're receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic / II or DTS Neo, etc)

A note about 24p

There are now two settings for 24p output.

By default they are

BD-ROM 24p output: On

DVD-ROM 24p output: Off

and I left them like that. Many DVDs are not 24p compatible, and with DVD generally a last resort, can't be bothered to keep toggling this one.

SEN Portal:

Read this post within the thread: here

See less See more
#2,553 ·
1) Don't complain about not being able to watch pirated movies. Pay for stuff. Ugh.

2) What are you using for your DLNA streamer? If you're on Windows, try using Universal Media Server (latest version 2.2.2) with the linked SonyBluray.conf file replacing the one that comes with it. I can play virtually everything natively with this setup (full HD).

SonyBluray.conf

#2,554 ·
What p5browne meant to write is that no source material provides more than 8 bits per color channel.

Some players might generate interpolated values on their own, though. Disabling deep color in a player or receiver reduces the number of bits which have to be transmitted over the HDMI cable, which reduces the bandwidth required, which makes the signal transmission more reliable. This is especially important if you use long HDMI cables. In other words, let the display do the color interpolation. Don't do it in the player or AVR.

#2,557 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr109  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2550#post_22782705

Using Playon and PS3 Media Server. Playon is very slow and PS3 won't decode them even after fiddling with settings.
Then don't use them. Serviio (Homestream) is fast, free and transcodes only when it has to. Just make sure you use the Bravia TV profile and not the default BD profile.

#2,560 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwchen  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2550#post_22782888

Hi, is it possible to stream youtube video in HD on S590?
Not with the built-in app. Possibly with a serviio plugin or some other DLNA server. If you can figure out how to do it, please post back. I've been wanting to do it myself but can't wrap my head around serviio plugins.

#2,561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr109  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2500_100#post_22782705

Is ripping your own PURCHASED videos considered pirating? Uh-oh. I may have to be spanked.

You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr109  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2500_100#post_22782150

...my movies or shows that I have downloaded, er, borrowed from friends...

Nothing about rips of your "PURCHASED" videos. And using software to rip copy protected discs is a violation of the DMCA, a Federal crime.

I'm not judging you, but it's not a good idea to imply that you're using illegally obtained content in a public forum. Just say "video files" without indicating the source.

#2,562 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs markie  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2520#post_22780835

Bought my first blu-ray player the Sony 590 at Best Buy on boxing day sale. It's connected by HDMI to our new and first flatscreen tv, a Samsung UN55EH6000. Everything so far about this minimalist system is totally incredible. Except one niggling thing. When I turn on the TV, the 590 blu-ray player comes on (as it should, I presume) but then after 15 seconds or so it shuts off. I have to push the power button on the blu-ray remote to have it come on and stay on. Then everything is fine. But I don't understand why the player is turning off in the first place. Any ideas? I've tried all sorts of combinations in the settings but to no avail. The TV's only input is the blu-ray player. No difference when I connect the blu-ray to the TV's second HDMI port.

Also, interestingly the blu-ray player is unable to be turned on if the TV is not already on first. Maybe that's normal, don't know.

When I turn the TV off, the blu-ray player shuts off automatically, as it should.

Called Sony. Very good rep on the phone. When I eventually told him that the 590 player doesn't even power on unless the TV is already on, he said there is a problem and it should be taken back to BB and replaced.

I was about to do just that, and in the middle of upplugging stuff, a thought occurred to me. I unplugged the 590's power from the Monster Power Conditioner I had bought with the TV, and plugged it directly into the wall.

Long story short: It turns out that the power conditioner has some smarts of it's own. The TV is plugged into the TV labelled outlet of the power conditioner. The 590 was plugged into the DVD player labelled outlet of the power conditioner. As it turns out, only when the TV outlet has power going through it does power go into the DVD player outlet! So when I turned on the TV, suddenly power was fed to 590, turning it on temporarily, giving the illusion that it was the TV itself activating the 590 through the hdmi cable. Fooled me!

So it turns out the 590 and the Samsung EH6000 are unable to turn each other on or off at all. Problem solved. I just have to press the power on each remote, which is fine by me.

#2,563 ·
Has anyone experienced this pixelated blob on the 590 home screen? I did a search on this thread and only saw 1 mention but no solution. I just got the 590 for xmas so I plan to exchange it unless there is an easy fix in the setup menu somewhere. It's not there when I play a movie.

#2,564 ·
I currently have a Pioneer BD 51F . However, it stopped playing CDs over a year ago, and now plays only about half of my DVDs. It still plays most of my Blu Ray discs.

I'm considering replacing it with Sony 590. But I was wondering if anyone has any comparison of the pic quality for both Blu Ray and for upconverted DVDs between the PIO BD 51F and this Sony BDP-S590?

The other player I'm considering is the Panasonic BDP-220.

thanks

Rick

#2,565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2550#post_22784063

Has anyone experienced this pixelated blob on the 590 home screen? I did a search on this thread and only saw 1 mention but no solution. I just got the 590 for xmas so I plan to exchange it unless there is an easy fix in the setup menu somewhere. It's not there when I play a movie.

Have you tried disabling Deep Color?

#2,566 ·
Just tried disabling Deep Color - no luck.

#2,568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhdtv  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2550#post_22784063

Wow. That's staggering. It's inverse video of the background bitmap.

HDMI Connection ? What output are you sending to your tv ? What TV is it ?

Color space and resolution setting.

#2,569 ·
Yes, HDMI directly to a Pansonic GT50. No unusual settings on either. I'm betting the bitmap file for the home screen got corrupted as the other menus look fine and blu-rays play clean.

#2,570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibissa  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2520#post_22781902

Does anyone know of a way I can connect my S590 to my laptop? Specifically, I'd like to watch/stream Blu ray films on my laptop, so as to not disturb the family.

Doubt u can do that without some additional hardware in the mix. Best/easiest thing would be to pick up a cheap USB external blu ray player... They r super cheap these days..

#2,571 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshead  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2520#post_22773544

I have Serviio 1.1 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I have it set up to stream videos to a Sony BDP-S590 - US with the latest firmware update.

When I set everything up, Serviio detected the 590 and automatically specified the Sony BD Player/SMP profile. Only MKV files play on the Sony with this profile (no AVI file will play on the 590). The AVI files are visible on the 590 but when I try to play any of them, the 590 says they are corrupted. The same files play just fine on the 590 when I use WMP to stream. If I change the Serviio profile of the 590 to Sony Bravia TV (2012) - US, the AVI files play on the 590. (thanks apw2607
)
A little background and a recommendation...

I was originally using WMP and Windows 7 "Share media with devices" option and that worked satisfactorily until I tried to stream MVK files to the 590.

First, I tried several of the MKV "fixes" for WMP that I googled. Those "fixes" worked somewhat but many of my MKV's would shutter, hang or have A/V sync issues and neither fast forward nor rewind would work on most MKV's.

Then I tried Plex, XBMC and another one but I don't recall the name. Each one had issues with streaming, buffering, blockiness and/or the interface.

Since changing the profile, Serviio has worked flawlessly on all of the video files/formats that I've thrown at it! Now get this... I now have the 590 on WI-FI. I played several movies, including HI-DEF's, and never encountered a single buffer issue or any other issues for that matter. Fast forward and reverse work on all of my MKV's as well.

I just wanted to post my experiences to save others some grief, hopefully. Give it a try. Serviio all the way for me!

Thank You! This did it for me If I change the Serviio profile of the 590 to Sony Bravia TV (2012) - US, the AVI files play on the 590.

#2,572 ·
Well, I don't know what I did. I followed you guys' advice and installed Serviio. (PS3 Server is now histoire). But for some reason while I was fiddling with Serviio, I decided to go another route and just plug in one of my portable hard drives directly into the S590. What do you know? All of the files that were on those drives played. That is except for the divx avi files. No biggie. They are transcoded through the Serviio. Still are a few glitches playing vids on thumbdrives, some play, some don't. No matter what format. Probably will never figure it out. But, all in all, after 6 hours, there was success. And with the player being wireless, I can get rid of the Cisco-Linksys PLK300 PowerLine.

Good things for those who wait. All's right with the world.

#2,573 ·
I have had nothing but problems with my BDP-S390 player since I purchased it last week. The player locks up completely, including the controls on the player itself. It becomes completely unresponsive and the only way to regain any control is to unplug it from the wall socket and plug it in again.

I have reset the player as per the Sony website. I have restored it to factory settings. I have played with any setting that I can see, including clearing all network settings. I have tried it with and without a USB drive. I can't find any single thing to do without getting into complex combinations of settings - the machine freezes randomly. It doesn't even freeze at the same spot on any given disk (and trust me, my disks are pristine).

I have never been more disappointed in any electronic purchase.

#2,574 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armedcow  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2550#post_22788446

I have had nothing but problems with my BDP-S390 player since I purchased it last week. The player locks up completely, including the controls on the player itself. It becomes completely unresponsive and the only way to regain any control is to unplug it from the wall socket and plug it in again.

I have reset the player as per the Sony website. I have restored it to factory settings. I have played with any setting that I can see, including clearing all network settings. I have tried it with and without a USB drive. I can't find any single thing to do without getting into complex combinations of settings - the machine freezes randomly. It doesn't even freeze at the same spot on any given disk (and trust me, my disks are pristine).

I have never been more disappointed in any electronic purchase.

Exchange it for another one.

#2,576 ·
HI All,

I just picked up the s590 on Boxing Day, and got it hooked up to my TV and Yamaha reciever. What I was wondering is there an option on the s590 for me to turn off the audio to the TV and just have it go to the reciever, I just don't want to turn down the volume on my TV when I watch a movie and then turn it back up when I'm done. I have a PS3 and there is a setting that allows me to do this but I can't find it on the s590 settings. I have HDMI cable from the player to the TV and optical cable from player to reciever. Sorry if this has been asked before I couldn't find anything searching google... Thanks for all the help..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.