Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 4053 Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,948
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Quite honestly Foxbat, thats more marketing babble that real life experience. I've seen very little evidence of anything faster on the 790. I almost think that the only reason why it had that was that the chipset supported the 4k up-scaling ... and thats the only reason.

I was hopping that 790, with almost twice the price, would be much faster than 590. I guess I made the right call not to spend more money smile.gif I could care less about 4K upscaling. By the time I can afford a 4K TV, there will be many more 4K player to choice from and 790 will be long gone.
Foxbat121 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 4053 Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Pioneer_Elte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I was hopping that 790, with almost twice the price, would be much faster than 590. I guess I made the right call not to spend more money smile.gif I could care less about 4K upscaling. By the time I can afford a 4K TV, there will be many more 4K player to choice from and 790 will be long gone.
Aside from upscaling to 4k, the s790 also has dual hdmi output which allows one HDMI connection to a 3D tv for video and a second HDMI connection to a non-3D AVR for audio. It also allows you to adjust brightness, color, contrast & hue from the player as well as built-in skype capabilities.

Pioneer_Elte is offline  
post #3063 of 4053 Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got a 590 to try and it's a shame they don't present thumbnails with DLNA browsing because it would be nice to see when viewing a list of files (my kids like to pick out movies by "poster").

Coming from the 470 I have some questions about the new Netflix interface:
1) Is there a way to bring up the Netflix timebar with a remote button other than pausing playback? The Display button does this on the 470 but on the 590 it brings up small info text in the corner.
2) Is there a way to disable it automatically playing the next episode in a TV series after the brief countdown?
3) Is there a way to present the Queue in some kind of "grid" view rather than the single line which is painful to scroll with a large Queue?

Thanks for any help.
crbaldwin is offline  
post #3064 of 4053 Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Coming from the 470 I have some questions about the new Netflix interface:
1) Is there a way to bring up the Netflix timebar with a remote button other than pausing playback? The Display button does this on the 470 but on the 590 it brings up small info text in the corner.
2) Is there a way to disable it automatically playing the next episode in a TV series after the brief countdown?
3) Is there a way to present the Queue in some kind of "grid" view rather than the single line which is painful to scroll with a large Queue?.

That's pretty much no, no and no--sorry. The only help that I can offer is that FF/REW scroll through a row forward/back by 3 thumbs at a time. That stream status info which comes up when you press DISPLAY has played/total time at the top of it. I think that the "Netflix Post-play Experience" will only automatically play one or two episode; after that it will ask if you want to play the next. I would agree that it needs to be either removed or made optional.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #3065 of 4053 Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

I got a 590 to try and it's a shame they don't present thumbnails with DLNA browsing because it would be nice to see when viewing a list of files (my kids like to pick out movies by "poster").

No poster, album art or thumbnails with DLNA support. Along with no shuffle either !!

Does your 470 offer this out of interest ?

If you want a full blown jukebox of lovely poster art and meta data for movies. ... You'll need to move to a dedicated streamer such as a Dune HD.
apw2607 is online now  
post #3066 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Does your 470 offer this out of interest ?

Unfortunately, no. It just has the useless generic video icon as well. I was hoping they changed this with the better DLNA support in the 590 but apparently not.
crbaldwin is offline  
post #3067 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

No poster, album art or thumbnails with DLNA support. Along with no shuffle either !!

The lack of these "simple" features is pretty disappointing. This along with me having to remux some of my mkv's and us actually preferring the older Netflix interface unfortunately may mean this isn't a keeper.
crbaldwin is offline  
post #3068 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Newbie
 
big tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I recently bought a used Sony BDP-S590 blu ray player. When I got it i reset the settings, programmed it for my wi-fi, started a Sony Essentials account and logged into Netflix. Now evertime after power up I try to open Netflix or any other video or music app it says I have a network error or that it can't access internet video services. Each time I verify that it has a network and internet connection and that the firmware is updated. Also the internet browser works. Normally once I log into Sony Essentials on my laptop then Netflix starts to work. I have tried the wi-fi setup, the wired setup, static ip address, the quick start mode, etc. Any ideas on this? I have search the internet and can't find anything. I don't have a memory stick in the back of the bluray so im not sure if its related. I've tried to reset the machine and program the settings into it again. Thanks

My internet is through Rogers and I use the modem provided by them so im not sure if it is related to a setting on it. I am also using unblock us so my DNS server is set on the modem to give me american netflix in canada.
big tim is offline  
post #3069 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

No poster, album art or thumbnails with DLNA support. Along with no shuffle either !!

The lack of these "simple" features is pretty disappointing. This along with me having to remux some of my mkv's and us actually preferring the older Netflix interface unfortunately may mean this isn't a keeper.

I don't think the DLNA standard supports a client side 'shuffle' function. Are you aware of other devices that do this via DLNA? It may be possible via external software if the player is used as a renderer, but I'm not sure what if any options exist for that. Practically speaking, the DLNA features on Blu-ray players are optimized for video playback.

Not even Oppo offers gapless playback as far as I am aware, which in my mind is also a basic feature for music playback (though I have heard that some of the DLNA equipped AVRs do.)
Vampidemic is offline  
post #3070 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

I don't think the DLNA standard supports a client side 'shuffle' function. Are you aware of other devices that do this via DLNA? It may be possible via external software if the player is used as a renderer, but I'm not sure what if any options exist for that. Practically speaking, the DLNA features on Blu-ray players are optimized for video playback.

I thought most DLNA clients support shuffle. I'm almost certain the Western Digital Live SMP player supports shuffle. I already have a music solution so I was actually looking for shuffle for photos.
crbaldwin is offline  
post #3071 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

...us actually preferring the older Netflix interface...

This interface is what Netflix has decided to standardize on. You won't find many newer devices which don't use it. I have two BDPs, a PS3 and a TiVo Premiere, all of which use that same Netflix UI. The Wii U, Apple TV, Xbox 360 and Win8 Netflix app are the only ones which don't use it that come to mind. The Xbox 360 doesn't used it, inasmuch as they want a consistent interface across all services, voice and gesture controllable via Kinect; the Wii U has similar concerns. The ATV's interface is very nice, though browsing is much the same and I sense that's what you mostly dislike.

What the interface brings with it is support for new features, like adaptive bit rate video, closed captions, DD+ 5.1 sound, selectable soundtracks, people search and "Just for Kids". (I'd mention 1080p video, but that could have been implemented in the old player without changing the UI).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #3072 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Member
 
stu54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Warren, NJ
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It is not possible to convert DTS-HD MA into Dobly Digital without serious transcoding. I don't use Serviio but I think you have some mis-configuration there. I use DIVX codec with existing Windows 7 media sharing.

ok so I went over to my Win7 configuration and I was able to get DTS-HD to stream to the s590 with Win7 media sharing. I read some things on the Serviio board that DTS-HD isn't working for mkv. Now the next question is: can I play 24p streaming or is that only for DVD/BD? Right now I can only get 60p. The frame rate in the mkv file is 23.976.
stu54 is offline  
post #3073 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu54 View Post

ok so I went over to my Win7 configuration and I was able to get DTS-HD to stream to the s590 with Win7 media sharing. I read some things on the Serviio board that DTS-HD isn't working for mkv. Now the next question is: can I play 24p streaming or is that only for DVD/BD? Right now I can only get 60p. The frame rate in the mkv file is 23.976.

60p only. 24p out is not supported.
apw2607 is online now  
post #3074 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

The lack of these "simple" features is pretty disappointing. This along with me having to remux some of my mkv's and us actually preferring the older Netflix interface unfortunately may mean this isn't a keeper.

Funny. Most people loathed that old netflix interface like a vengeance ! Note that old Netflix app only supported 720p max and Stereo audio :-(
apw2607 is online now  
post #3075 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

I don't think the DLNA standard supports a client side 'shuffle' function. Are you aware of other devices that do this via DLNA? It may be possible via external software if the player is used as a renderer, but I'm not sure what if any options exist for that. Practically speaking, the DLNA features on Blu-ray players are optimized for video playback.

Not even Oppo offers gapless playback as far as I am aware, which in my mind is also a basic feature for music playback (though I have heard that some of the DLNA equipped AVRs do.)

DLNA clients can support shuffle. Many clients do this. Even my old Sony XBR9 does it for both video, audio and photos !!!

apw2607 is online now  
post #3076 of 4053 Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vampidemic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

DLNA clients can support shuffle. Many clients do this. Even my old Sony XBR9 does it for both video, audio and photos !!!


I stand corrected.
Vampidemic is offline  
post #3077 of 4053 Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Newbie
 
dougmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently purchased the s590 and have a Netflix question. I cannot find how to access my "watch list". I'm in Canada but am on the US Netflix via unblock us. It shows up on my PS3 but not on the blu ray. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or fixed it.

Thanks a lot
dougmoose is offline  
post #3078 of 4053 Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Member
 
stevecanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by big tim View Post

Hi, I recently bought a used Sony BDP-S590 blu ray player. When I got it i reset the settings, programmed it for my wi-fi, started a Sony Essentials account and logged into Netflix. Now evertime after power up I try to open Netflix or any other video or music app it says I have a network error or that it can't access internet video services. Each time I verify that it has a network and internet connection and that the firmware is updated. Also the internet browser works. Normally once I log into Sony Essentials on my laptop then Netflix starts to work. I have tried the wi-fi setup, the wired setup, static ip address, the quick start mode, etc. Any ideas on this? I have search the internet and can't find anything. I don't have a memory stick in the back of the bluray so im not sure if its related. I've tried to reset the machine and program the settings into it again. Thanks

My internet is through Rogers and I use the modem provided by them so im not sure if it is related to a setting on it. I am also using unblock us so my DNS server is set on the modem to give me american netflix in canada.

Tim, unfortunately the issue is your use of Un-Block US.

First, have you registered your BDP with Un-block as they recommend. On their site they say "You may need to open our "Check Service" page from the computer if your TV or Blu-Ray player does not work." - basically means they are logging your BDP's IP address and will allow it to use the service. If not, you are going to get some DNS issues. If memory serves me, not doing this causes similar problems as you are seeing.

I use a similar service, smartDNS from Overplay, and have had similar issues. I bet you registered your device while using the "unblock us" service, right? Sony uses alternate mechanisms to track your location and the DNS whitelabeling doesn't fully hide you from being seen as Canadian. When I did that I got all the great US apps loaded but none of them worked, had the same issues as you. Might have worked work if I used a real VPN, but couldn't be bothered as I only wanted Netflix. What I did was used my default DNS servers and registered the device as a Canadian and set up the apps. Set up my "smart DNS" service via the DNS entries in the network setup. Used the web browser to "register" my BDP with my "smart DNS" service. Then I opened Netflix and could access US content. It messes with the other Canadian app versions, but if you know how to configure DNSMasq on your router you can focus your dns redirects only around Netflix. Netflix will work fine using the dns service making you look like a US location; the other Sony apps won't. Sony, being a content company that happens to make hardware is a little more picky about where the content goes then Netflix :-)

DNS redirections services don't provide a 100% US presence on the Sony machines. But they work great for my Samsung TV with the Smart TV which has similar apps as my Sony BDP 590.
stevecanuck is offline  
post #3079 of 4053 Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmoose View Post

I just recently purchased the s590 and have a Netflix question. I cannot find how to access my "watch list". I'm in Canada but am on the US Netflix via unblock us. It shows up on my PS3 but not on the blu ray. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or fixed it.

When using Netflix from outside of your home region you cannot see your Instant Queue or add things to it, using any embedded player or the website. If you go to Unblock-US.com and set your region to Canada you'll be able to see your IQ again. The first time you visit their web page with your region outside the one where you account was established it should give you a message explaining the difference with using Netflix while traveling internationally.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #3080 of 4053 Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Newbie
 
dougmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

When using Netflix from outside of your home region you cannot see your Instant Queue or add things to it, using any embedded player or the website. If you go to Unblock-US.com and set your region to Canada you'll be able to see your IQ again. The first time you visit their web page with your region outside the one where you account was established it should give you a message explaining the difference with using Netflix while traveling internationally.

Thanks for your reply ! I switched my settings back to Canada and there still wasn't anything. I find it odd that I can add shows to my IQ on the computer (but can't view it on the computer) and can see the list on my PS3 but not anywhere else. I think I've read that you can only use Instant Queue in the US. I didn't know if there was something I needed to do on the Blu Ray player.

Thanks again
Doug
dougmoose is offline  
post #3081 of 4053 Old 02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmoose View Post

I switched my settings back to Canada and there still wasn't anything.

You have to kill the player and start it again after making the switch.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
post #3082 of 4053 Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Member
 
hoopmanjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, my S590 (about six months old) has started misbehaving, so before I take it out behind the barn, I wanted to check with the collective. It started by doing this thing where sometimes (not always) a movie would start playing just fine, but after about five minutes it'd stop, the player would flash WAIT, and then it would power off. Usually if I powered the player back on and restarted the disc, it'd play all the way through just fine. Now it's gotten worse -- when I load a disc, the tray closes, the player flashes CLOSING for a minute or two after the tray is closed, then spends another couple of minutes flashing LOAD, then sometimes doesn't even recognize that there's a disc in the player. And occasionally it'll randomly shut down in the middle of Netflix or YouTube viewing.

I've turned off deep color and turned off anything to do with TV control over HDMI. I do have a USB flash drive in the back port, but I haven't tried to remove that yet because getting to the back of the player is a bit of a pain. Would that be worth a try? Or is there anything else I can do that doesn't involve a large hammer and/or an S790?

Thanks!
hoopmanjh is offline  
post #3083 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,874
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
None of that is normal. Your player has a 1 year warranty, so you should get it replaced.

If you want to avoid that, then cleaning the spindle hub or laser may fix your disc issues. But random shutdowns while streaming should not happen.

Why are you considering an S790 rather than an S5100?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mdavej is offline  
post #3084 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Member
 
hoopmanjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

None of that is normal. Your player has a 1 year warranty, so you should get it replaced.

If you want to avoid that, then cleaning the spindle hub or laser may fix your disc issues. But random shutdowns while streaming should not happen.

Why are you considering an S790 rather than an S5100?

OK, I'll contact Sony to start the process. Thanks!

(As for why an S790 rather than an S5100, it's mostly because my understanding was that the S790 was still Sony's top-of-the-line, so if I were going to replace, I might as well upgrade at the same time. For now, though, it looks like I'll be going back to the PS3 as a Blu-ray player.)
hoopmanjh is offline  
post #3085 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Member
 
Imageless83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wash. DC area
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr109 View Post

Hey all. I'm just curious if any of you have both the 390 and 590. The first player I bought was the 590. After some quirkiness and Serviio, it managed to do what it had to to stream from my PC. I just bought a 390 ($20 cheaper than a 590 when the only difference I see is that the 590 is 3D capable). But, my question is, with the 390, the interface/menu scrolls rather slow. I do not know if this is normal for the 390 or not. Getting into folders and such is no problem. It just doesn't 'glide smoothly' through the menus like the 590.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Quite honestly Foxbat, thats more marketing babble that real life experience. I've seen very little evidence of anything faster on the 790. I almost think that the only reason why it had that was that the chipset supported the 4k up-scaling ... and thats the only reason.

I recently purchased a 390 thanks to this thread and quite happy with it. First thing I noticed was scrolling through menus is not as smooth as the ps3. I also haven't used a 590 so I can't compare.
Simple reset didn't help at all so I guess its the 390 but it plays movies fine so I can live with that.

Imageless83 is offline  
post #3086 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,874
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopmanjh View Post

...As for why an S790 rather than an S5100, it's mostly because my understanding was that the S790 was still Sony's top-of-the-line, so if I were going to replace, I might as well upgrade at the same time. For now, though, it looks like I'll be going back to the PS3 as a Blu-ray player.
Personally I couldn't justify paying more than double the price of a 590 for features I didn't need or would never use, like 4k upscaling, dual HDMI and analog audio.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mdavej is offline  
post #3087 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Newbie
 
mandamarie720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting scratching/static in my Polk 3000 Soundbar when I switch my input from cable mode to HDMI (which is what my blue ray player is connected with to the TV). I don't hear the scratching noise when I use the older RCA cables to hook up the blue-ray player, though.

I'm pretty sure its the audio settings that need to be adjusted through the Blue Ray player but not sure what those need to be at as both the soundbar and blue ray player are new to us.

We have the Sony BDPS390 and the Polk 3000 Soundbar and just want them to play nicely together.
mandamarie720 is offline  
post #3088 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 6,949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopmanjh View Post

...As for why an S790 rather than an S5100, it's mostly because my understanding was that the S790 was still Sony's top-of-the-line, so if I were going to replace, I might as well upgrade at the same time. For now, though, it looks like I'll be going back to the PS3 as a Blu-ray player.
Personally I couldn't justify paying more than double the price of a 590 for features I didn't need or would never use, like 4k upscaling, dual HDMI and analog audio.

The 790 also has more video manipulation options (nose reduction, etc) than the 590 does, so it can do a better job of improving the video from low-quality DVDs. Since it's a dual-processor system, it also has somewhat faster startup and load times.

Selden
Selden Ball is offline  
post #3089 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by apw2607

Quite honestly Foxbat, thats more marketing babble that real life experience. I've seen very little evidence of anything faster on the 790. I almost think that the only reason why it had that was that the chipset supported the 4k up-scaling ... and thats the only reason.

I'm actually going to withdraw my comment ! After using the new 3100 over the weekend I can see a difference between that and the 790.

Disk loading times .... actually the 3100 was a bit faster at loading than the 790 ... for both BDlive enabled and regular BD disks. (only 10 seconds though).

However where the 790 exceled was menu navigation within XMB. I have a large local media collection shared over DLNA. The 790 can browse this library relatively quickly. moving up and down, across, etc. The 3100 seemed very sluggish in comparison. Would it be a showstopper ? Probably not ... I mean you can still easily get to what you need, and it may only be apparent when you have a large collection shared, or when the file names are long !
apw2607 is online now  
post #3090 of 4053 Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageless83 View Post


I recently purchased a 390 thanks to this thread and quite happy with it. First thing I noticed was scrolling through menus is not as smooth as the ps3. I also haven't used a 590 so I can't compare.
Simple reset didn't help at all so I guess its the 390 but it plays movies fine so I can live with that.

Certainly the PS3 runs rings around the x90 and x100 BD players when it comes to navigation in XMB. Also the PS3 displays the XMB in the default resolution set .... I'm sure the BDPs are either 720 or something .... even though the output resolution can be set to anything. The fonts and texts aren't crisp like they are on the PS3. But then the PS3 has very sophisticated hardware.
apw2607 is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off