Forum Jump: 

post #3241 of 4077 Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Going a little more OT, but sounds like you may not have heard that the reason the line is narrowed down is because Logitech is exiting the remote business entirely in a few months. The Touch was indeed a flop, so much so, that Harmony will be no more, at least as far as Logitech is concerned.

I sure hope Logitech will still continue to allow programming changes to be made to the Harmony remotes. Would be a bummer to have them totally drop things and leave us Harmony owners out in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 4077 Old 03-17-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Really?! I just turned my 590 on, put in a blu-ray, and this pretty load static like noise started up. Almost sounded like static from an FM radio signal or some sort of interference...which is what I thought it was. Turns out it is the physical player vibrating on the glass shelf of my enertainment center. Really?! I moved the player about, pressed down on the top and it quieted down, but then started again shortly after. Has anyone else experienced this? This Sony player does have a pretty cheap feel to it, as someone else has mentioned here. I was surprised when I took it out of the box for the first time how cheap it felt...very light weight, with cheap plastic clip like deals on the bottom. And now the sucker is vibrating on the shelf making this loud noise. Really?! If I can't get this sucker to quiet down I am going to have to return it. Pretty ridiculous really.

I have this same exact problem. It doesn't matter what disc is in the machine. I've not really dug too much into figuring it out yet. Just a little searching on the innerwebz.
post #3243 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
can appleTV do youtube streaming in HD? instead of upgrading my blu-ray player i have for a while considered buying an appletv for support for my protected iTunes content over streaming. No third party hardware/software supports this other then apple. This is the only real support i'd like to see when it comes to streaming. I can already share my itunes library between the macbook and iPhone, but the screen is so small it's only good tol a point.
post #3244 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaweah View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Really?! I just turned my 590 on, put in a blu-ray, and this pretty load static like noise started up. Almost sounded like static from an FM radio signal or some sort of interference...which is what I thought it was. Turns out it is the physical player vibrating on the glass shelf of my enertainment center. Really?! I moved the player about, pressed down on the top and it quieted down, but then started again shortly after. Has anyone else experienced this? This Sony player does have a pretty cheap feel to it, as someone else has mentioned here. I was surprised when I took it out of the box for the first time how cheap it felt...very light weight, with cheap plastic clip like deals on the bottom. And now the sucker is vibrating on the shelf making this loud noise. Really?! If I can't get this sucker to quiet down I am going to have to return it. Pretty ridiculous really.

I have this same exact problem. It doesn't matter what disc is in the machine. I've not really dug too much into figuring it out yet. Just a little searching on the innerwebz.

This sounds like a defect in the disc drive itself. The easiest fix is to replace the S590, although if you open it up you might find something has come loose.

My S590 has no such problem. It's smooth and quiet, although I can hear a slight "grunt" when the head has to move, e.g. when it moves from a menu to playing a video track.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3245 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

The One is a great remote, but it costs more than twice as much as the 590. It's kind of like paying $1000 for an iPhone case. There are plenty of inexpensive universal remotes that work just fine.

Really? That's funny... Just got mine for Christmas and it was $120 on Amazon. Not even close to being "twice the price" and certainly not MORE than twice the price of the 590. wink.gif
post #3246 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Going a little more OT, but sounds like you may not have heard that the reason the line is narrowed down is because Logitech is exiting the remote business entirely in a few months. The Touch was indeed a flop, so much so, that Harmony will be no more, at least as far as Logitech is concerned.

Got any proof of that? Link? They've been saying that about Logitech and their Squeezebox radios. That they were going to drop server support. First heard it two years ago and my SBR is still running just fine. rolleyes.gif

It would be a VERY bad move for them to drop "legacy product" support. No one would ever trust them again. I know I wouldn't. I wouldn't even buy so much as another $12 Logitech K120 keyboard if they did that.
post #3247 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Logitech's plan to sell their Harmony and video security divisions was announced in January and has been reported in several news services.

See
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57565558-92/logitech-to-unload-harmony-line-after-disappointing-quarter/
and
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/23/logitech-q3-earnings-selling-harmony-remotes/

What that means for support in the meantime is not obvious.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3248 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettck View Post

Got any proof of that? Link? They've been saying that about Logitech and their Squeezebox radios. That they were going to drop server support. First heard it two years ago and my SBR is still running just fine. rolleyes.gif

It would be a VERY bad move for them to drop "legacy product" support. No one would ever trust them again. I know I wouldn't. I wouldn't even buy so much as another $12 Logitech K120 keyboard if they did that.

It is all over the news a few weeks ago. Not too hard to google for it. Logitech later came out to reaffirm that they will not drop the support of existing remotes. But clearly they are looking for buyers to take over the Harmony business. It's no wonder their Harmony line is not doing that well in today's economics conditions. They have only two categories of Harmony out: One for $200+ and one for dirt cheap ($50) with sever limitations. Let's face it, today you can buy a 40 to 50" HDTV for about $300 already. There aren't many millionaires left to continue support their high end remotes that costs as much as a new TV. The cheap ones really tainted the Harmony name. What's left for majority of us in between? Nothing. My two harmony remotes are all purchased many years ago for around $50 to $100. I see no reason to purchase a new one that offers very little extra compare to my current ones and yet costs way too much.
post #3249 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It is all over the news a few weeks ago. Not too hard to google for it. Logitech later came out to reaffirm that they will not drop the support of existing remotes. But clearly they are looking for buyers to take over the Harmony business. It's no wonder their Harmony line is not doing that well in today's economics conditions. They have only two categories of Harmony out: One for $200+ and one for dirt cheap ($50) with sever limitations. Let's face it, today you can buy a 40 to 50" HDTV for about $300 already. There aren't many millionaires left to continue support their high end remotes that costs as much as a new TV. The cheap ones really tainted the Harmony name. What's left for majority of us in between? Nothing. My two harmony remotes are all purchased many years ago for around $50 to $100. I see no reason to purchase a new one that offers very little extra compare to my current ones and yet costs way too much.

Makes me feel better about passing on Harmony One at Costco for less than $100 and getting a URC R40 and cheap JP1 remote / cable instead. Never have to wonder about continuing support.
post #3250 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Makes me feel better about passing on Harmony One at Costco for less than $100 and getting a URC R40 and cheap JP1 remote / cable instead. Never have to wonder about continuing support.

You should have bought the Harmony. Under $100? That's a screaming deal on a great, easily customizable remote.
post #3251 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Really? That's funny... Just got mine for Christmas and it was $120 on Amazon. Not even close to being "twice the price" and certainly not MORE than twice the price of the 590. wink.gif
That was black Friday, I'm guessing. Good luck finding one now for that price. Last time I checked, the One was $280 on amazon, and the 590 was $95.

Don't get me wrong. I actually think the One is a great remote and worth a couple of hundred buck, considering what it does. I just think it's overkill if your only gripe about the sony remote is that it creaks when you push a button too hard. There are much cheaper alternatives. I don't really understand the dislike of the sony remote. I just tried it to see what all the fuss was about and didn't have any problems at all. At least it's still universal, unlike panasonic, who dropped control of other devices from their remote last year.
Quote:

You should have bought the Harmony. Under $100? That's a screaming deal on a great, easily customizable remote.
Definitely a great deal. I'd pick up several if I could get them at that price. They are only going to get rarer and more expensive from here on out.

As for the future of harmony, I'm not concerned in the near term. Even if harmony dies and they don't find a buyer, the web config will still probably be around for years.
post #3252 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Please report back here after having compared build quality and ease of programming discrete codes for both models.
post #3253 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 622
Hello, so I have the S590 and I want to run a disney wow pixel flipper for an hour on my plasma as preventive maintenance at times; however, after 10+ minutes the player will go to a black screen and appear to go to sleep. I've disabled the screen saver option. Anyone know what other option I may need to change in order to keep the player active and running?
post #3254 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

can appleTV do youtube streaming in HD? instead of upgrading my blu-ray player i have for a while considered buying an appletv for support for my protected iTunes content over streaming. No third party hardware/software supports this other then apple. This is the only real support i'd like to see when it comes to streaming. I can already share my itunes library between the macbook and iPhone, but the screen is so small it's only good tol a point.

Yes, ATV3 supports Youtube in HD

You can redownload your iTunes content and in some instances it will be no longer DRMed. It does vary from album to album. All movies and tv shows are DRMed regardless. Most music videos are non-DRMed.
post #3255 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes, ATV3 supports Youtube in HD

You can redownload your iTunes content and in some instances it will be no longer DRMed. It does vary from album to album. All movies and tv shows are DRMed regardless. Most music videos are non-DRMed.

Thank you, Yes that sounds like more of what i'm looking for as an upgrade, as most of what i'd be upgrading is streaming, and disc playback is pretty standard, the other reason i hate to upgrade the player unless i have to, is I have a few commercial dvds of tv shows, and they are the double sided type discs. Well they seem to show the defects in the form of skipping, depending on the player used. the 590s i have can play the discs without flaw, the 570 has hit spots it didn't like, the panasonic dip 85 hit spots to a lesser degree, and the magnavox profile 1.1. player played the discs flawlessly, as well as the panasonic dip-b60. So it's hit or miss. So maybe an appleTV as my streaming upgrade to have apple direct support is the way to go. I don't pay for Cable TV, so between vudu, netlfix, and amazon i use that as my gap since i have more control over my content.. Now I will ask, You did mention a speed increase, i'm comfortable with my load times now, what i would be interested in knowing is, are blu-ray players still plagued with discs that won't play that need firmware updates? or should this be pretty universal now, in this point in time ?

Thanks again for the feedback.

By the way how do people find portable blu-ray players, if i do buy a new player i might get one of those to have the discs on the go. I liked the portable DVD players when i had a couple. Just wondered, if portable blu-ray was reliable smile.gif

Thanks.
post #3256 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:

That was black Friday, I'm guessing. Good luck finding one now for that price. Last time I checked, the One was $280 on amazon, and the 590 was $95.

Black Friday? Don't think so. I ordered it for myself right around Christmas time last year. Used the wife's CC because she won't ever buy electronics for me as gifts because I'm too picky. biggrin.gif
post #3257 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Black Friday? Don't think so. I ordered it for myself right around Christmas time last year. Used the wife's CC because she won't ever buy electronics for me as gifts because I'm too picky. biggrin.gif
Glad you found such a good deal. Since you used the wife's CC, it was technically free tongue.gif

MacinMan, I think the days of portable disc players are pretty much over. If I want to watch anything on the go, I'll just rip it and play it on my iPad or laptop or whatever. To play it on a big TV, just get a cable for you iPad or bring your regular player with you. Players are so small these days, they're portable already.
post #3258 of 4077 Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had a good source, that i could look at to see video reviews and demos of the products i'm researching, and am interested in. Youtube isn't the most reliable to have content, reading forums like this one, and maybe blu-ray.com, or whatever one i read is good, but many times it's just written responses, or people who use the equipment in ways i never would or features, which I appreciate, but I sometimes get more out of a hands on demo/review, similar to what apple does with their keynotes, or even a place where i could just see people who have the products who use it for everyday things, etc.

Sometimes i get a good feel with reviews, but haven't seen alot yet on amazon, who are a wide range of people who have both positive and negative experiences, or both newbie users to experience users.
post #3259 of 4077 Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone understand how to disable the auto power off feature? When I run the Disney Wow disc pixel flipper it auto shuts itself off after 15-30 minutes.
post #3260 of 4077 Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Anyone understand how to disable the auto power off feature? When I run the Disney Wow disc pixel flipper it auto shuts itself off after 15-30 minutes.

It can't be disabled.
post #3261 of 4077 Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

It can't be disabled.

thank you for your response - was afraid of that.

As it is, its clearly faulty implementation of the WoW disc. They probably should have tested it better on mainstream players.
post #3262 of 4077 Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been experimenting with site features, and just clicked "connect with Facebook" I just wonder if this does anything special? Everything looks the same other then my picture is now my facebook profile picture.
post #3263 of 4077 Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Liked: 18
Picked up a Sony BDP-BX59 and now have 2 units. Its just annoying that you have to call Sony to get a new code if the unit was previously registered. Otherwise i am happy with these units and may pickup another since i sold my PS3.

post #3264 of 4077 Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 PM

I picked up a BX59 from Costco recently, and it's a big step up from the Pioneer BDP51FD that I had been using since 2009. I tried to play American Gangster on BD tonight, and the BX59 won't properly display the initial start menu to choose between the extended or theatrical version. Consequently, I can't play the disc at all. It looks like it was a problem on Oppo players at one point also: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/bdp9x-firmware-74-0908b.aspx

I don't think the disc is bad, because it plays just fine on my laptop. Has anybody else had this happen? The firmware on the BX59 is the latest available.
post #3265 of 4077 Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheenist View Post

I picked up a BX59 from Costco recently, and it's a big step up from the Pioneer BDP51FD that I had been using since 2009. I tried to play American Gangster on BD tonight, and the BX59 won't properly display the initial start menu to choose between the extended or theatrical version. Consequently, I can't play the disc at all. It looks like it was a problem on Oppo players at one point also: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/bdp9x-firmware-74-0908b.aspx

I don't think the disc is bad, because it plays just fine on my laptop. Has anybody else had this happen? The firmware on the BX59 is the latest available.

I had a problem trying to play Terminator 2 Sky Net edition.I purchased and installed a memory USB stick in the rear slot and it then would play.I think it had something to do with BD live.
post #3266 of 4077 Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 853
So I'm getting tired of waiting for BestBuy to get the S5100. Everytime I go there they have more and more of the S590 boxes. Last night there were over twenty boxes on the shelf.
So does the S590 do 3D from Netflix? If it does I think I will go ahead and pick one up. They are currently $99 at BestBuy but I can have them price match Amazon at $94. But it needs to have 3D from Netflix.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3267 of 4077 Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Costco BX59 is the same as S590 in BB and they have it for $79 or less for a long time now. Not sure if it will do Netflix 3D because Cox in Northern VA has not signed up to support OpenConnect yet.
post #3268 of 4077 Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM

if i am interpreting correctly, even if i remux my mkv to m2ts, if the m2ts itself has a AVC/VC1 code, the file wont play over s590 at all?
post #3269 of 4077 Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just want to let the other forum members know of a FREE Video Conversion Software Offer I read on PCWorld's website for WinX HD Video (article is in link below)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2031429/convert-video-files-for-free-with-winx-hd-video-converter-deluxe.html

I think this may be of great use to some members in converting video files from what they have to compatible BDP-S590 files.

Enjoy!!

post #3270 of 4077 Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked: 853
So does the S590 stream the Netflix 3D titles? I'm assuming it streams the Vudu 3d titles.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page