Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4069 Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

It doesn't look razor sharp like the ps3 xmb I'm afraid.

Still the best blu ray player ive owned regardless. I had a Panny 320 and the disc drive refused to spit my disc back out, needless to say I took the thing apart and got my movie out and returned the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4069 Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

That's correct. The MUTE button is gone on the remote provided with the S590 and S390. Basically Sony moved everything around to accommodate a need to have a direct Netflix and SEN buttons !!

If you want a MUTE button, you can buy a older RMT-110A. There $8 from Sony replacement parts ..... all the old remote's still work fine with the new players.

The remote does have a VOLUME control but it is not a universal remote anyway so it appears to only be for other Sony products. I think the assumption is you are going to use your AVR to control Volume/Mute.
post #363 of 4069 Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM

Hi guys, just wanted to update you all, I finally got my S590 today from amazon. I set it up and fired up the ol' Netflix to see how it would do with streaming. After several movies, I am nothing but smiles with this thing. I get 3 bars wireless to the device and I had 0 dropouts and 0 ridiculous lack flashing screens like my old Panny 210.

I checked the display and it streamed at mostly medium to HD levels of picture quality. Once it picks up the stream, it seems to be pretty consistent with medium to high picture quality, no drops to SD res, except if you pause sometimes. I haven't tried Amazon VOD yet to see how that fairs, but so far the S590 is shaping up to be a winner in my book

Once I test out some blurays, I'll be closer to my confirmation of this. The menu is not as clear as the PS3 XMB or as responsive, but it seems to be working just fine.

One weird thing I noticed is that the remote seems to be a bit manic, like button presses are too sensitive. I had to slow down and speed up my button presses to have them register at proper speeds. Did anyone notice this? I hope I didn't get a defective unit. Even when I programmed the remote onto my Harmony 550, the button press speeds seem to be kind of hairy and sometimes it won't register, or when it does, it'll register twice. Anyone have this happen to them?
post #364 of 4069 Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I did the same. Panasonic was my favorite choice but this round they really didn't do anything better. Th 590 is much cleaner ith a nicer GUI. Image Q is top notch as well.

Thank God. I thought I was the only one!
post #365 of 4069 Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedracerII View Post

The remote does have a VOLUME control but it is not a universal remote anyway so it appears to only be for other Sony products. I think the assumption is you are going to use your AVR to control Volume/Mute.

That's right however the remote can be recoded to work with other televisions.
post #366 of 4069 Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

One weird thing I noticed is that the remote seems to be a bit manic, like button presses are too sensitive. I had to slow down and speed up my button presses to have them register at proper speeds. Did anyone notice this? I hope I didn't get a defective unit. Even when I programmed the remote onto my Harmony 550, the button press speeds seem to be kind of hairy and sometimes it won't register, or when it does, it'll register twice. Anyone have this happen to them?

No. I'm afraid I've not noticed this behavior.
post #367 of 4069 Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I agree. I tried the 210 and 220. I wasn't a fan of the main player menu, and Veria connect menu with that initial animation when it first starts up seemed a bit goofy.
post #368 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:

Yes. This is normal. Hook that thing up to the Internet and you will realize why you need the "top menu" ... Which is actually called the cross media bar XMB in Sony speak.

Hey apw, thanks for the reassuring reply. Perhaps the purchase of this player will motivate me to purchase a new modem and a wireless router. Not very knowledgeable about such things. If you know of a good thread on the subject for newbies like me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.
post #369 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

That's right however the remote can be recoded to work with other televisions.

I've got mine controlling my Panasonic TV and because I'm using HDMI control with the TV and AVR, it controls the volume of the AVR. Note that last year Panasonic dropped the ability to even control other TV's with remotes packaged with US players.
post #370 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I dropped Panny this year too. I'm a bit archaic in that I have a lot of titles on DVD-RAM, a Panasonic product, and they dropped support for playback in
last years models. That was a big piece of staying with Panasonic the past couple of years and now that tie is broken. I also had some HDMI issues with 3D and the Panny. I switched to the S590 and couldn't be happier. Never a 3D issue and not disappointed with DVD upscaling either.
post #371 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 PM

The S590 appears to be a solid performer in the streaming category. I'm happy I switched from a Panny 210.

But, I was wondering if you guys could indulge me for a moment and check something. I noticed the button presses seem to be a little sensitive when you first enter into netflix, etc. I realize if I give it a sec to load, all seems well.

But the thing that I seem to notice most is that when I play a movie and I pause it, if I do a normal button press, it seems to register two presses. If I do a quicker button press, it registers fine. Anyone else notice this?

I keep thinking that maybe the player I got is defective as it seems to be too sensitive occasionally.
post #372 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

If you point me to a test file, I'll try it for you.

Here's a link to some sample AVCHD files. And another link.

They would need to be extracted, and the DCIM, MISC, PRIVATE folders should be at the root level of the drive being attached.

Thanks!
post #373 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

Here's a link to some sample AVCHD files. And another link.

They would need to be extracted, and the DCIM, MISC, PRIVATE folders should be at the root level of the drive being attached.

Thanks!

Ok. I tried White Rock, BC, Canada, by Sugith "Jetty" from the link you provided and it played back perfectly. Also with DD 5.1 sound too.

Hope this helps ...
post #374 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok. I tried White Rock, BC, Canada, by Sugith "Jetty" from the link you provided and it played back perfectly. Also with DD 5.1 sound too.

Hope this helps ...

Sweet - thanks! Out of curiosity, was this on a USB Hard Drive, or a USB "Thumb Drive" / Flash Drive?
post #375 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

Sweet - thanks! Out of curiosity, was this on a USB Hard Drive, or a USB "Thumb Drive" / Flash Drive?

Regular old USB thumb drive but it would work with a USB hard drive too. Doesn't need the folder structure you mentioned. The 590 and 390 supports NTFS formatted drives too.
post #376 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

The S590 appears to be a solid performer in the streaming category. I'm happy I switched from a Panny 210.

But, I was wondering if you guys could indulge me for a moment and check something. I noticed the button presses seem to be a little sensitive when you first enter into netflix, etc. I realize if I give it a sec to load, all seems well.

But the thing that I seem to notice most is that when I play a movie and I pause it, if I do a normal button press, it seems to register two presses. If I do a quicker button press, it registers fine. Anyone else notice this?

I keep thinking that maybe the player I got is defective as it seems to be too sensitive occasionally.

I've not noticed it ... I would get another one from amazon to be on the safe side. Otherwise you only regret it in the long run.
post #377 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 PM

No Targets in my area have the 590's yet. So no dice for me getting one for $120 (minus $58 in Amex Rebate cards). Guess I will bite on Amazon for $135. I have $60 in Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so that will ease the pain a bit. From what I am reading the 590 is the blu-ray player to get this year.
post #378 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I've not noticed it ... I would get another one from amazon to be on the safe side. Otherwise you only regret it in the long run.

Thanks for checking, I played around with it a bit more and tested it side by side with my harmony remote which I programmed with the same codes. If I push the pause button on and off continuously, I can freeze action second by second. When I do this with the harmony remote, it seems to work fine, when I do it with the Sony remote, it does this stuttering effect, registering two button hits.

So its clear to me that the remote is the problem, I can't get a remote only replacement so I think I will take your advice and just order another unit from amazon and have this one shipped back. Luckily amazon has a great return policy for defective items, they pay for return shipping.
post #379 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

No Targets in my area have the 590's yet. So no dice for me getting one for $120 (minus $58 in Amex Rebate cards). Guess I will bite on Amazon for $135. I have $60 in Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so that will ease the pain a bit. From what I am reading the 590 is the blu-ray player to get this year.

I finally foud one @ 4th Target store. Consider the high price of gas these days, it is really no cheaper than Amazon. The advantage of buying from Target however, is easy return and I do plan to return it as I am very disapponited about the poor build quality on the case and remote compares to my old S470/S570 and the Amazon VOD is still has the same bad UI. I think Sony is going backwards in more ways than one these days. I think I will get a new or refurb BX58 instead.
post #380 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I need a huge favor. Can someone put in a 2:40 aspect ratio movie and measure the black bars thickness for me. Sony is saying I'm doing something wrong for it to be off the Pannys settings! And I mean on Blu Ray only. TV aspect ratio is fine.

Jeff
post #381 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

I need a huge favor. Can someone put in a 2:40 aspect ratio movie and measure the black bars thickness for me. Sony is saying I'm doing something wrong for it to be off the Pannys settings! And I mean on Blu Ray only. TV aspect ratio is fine.

I tried it with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The bars were 2.5" on my 46" diagonal screen

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #382 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I tried it with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The bars were 2.5" on my 46" diagonal screen

Michael, can you PM me or post your settings for your player? I just went through mine again, put on Dances With Wolves and the top measurement is 4.5" and the bottom is 5.75" on a 2:40 movie. Player set to full, 16:9, DVD Aspect ratio letterbox. I have to be missing something!! If not, somethings wrong with the player!

Jeff
post #383 of 4069 Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff

I tried a number of disks with the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Also on my 46" screen i noted 75mm black boarders on the top and bottom.

The TV (Sony xbr9) was set to full pixel ... meaning there is no over scan.
post #384 of 4069 Old 03-28-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:

Michael, can you PM me or post your settings for your player? I just went through mine again, put on Dances With Wolves and the top measurement is 4.5" and the bottom is 5.75" on a 2:40 movie. Player set to full, 16:9, DVD Aspect ratio letterbox. I have to be missing something!! If not, somethings wrong with the player!

Those measurements were also on a 46" screen? My players settings are the same (the television is a Mitsubishi 46231 LCD panel).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #385 of 4069 Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 AM

Last night replaced my old Sony 550 with the 590. It looks to have integrated pretty seamlessly with my Pioneer amp and Panny Plasma, ie. I push the on bottom for the sony and everything else goes on. Hope my wife finds it as simple, especially the dedicated Netflix button (that is all she would need in the TV department). Watched Avatar 3d, Netflix etc and am happy so far. I enjoyed the extra music video content that is available as well, watched Seasick Steve concert.

The colours are richer, the blacks deeper and the 3d is immersive. Netflix experience was as good as the Xbox. Don't see much need for my old Apple TV any more. When you consider the price regardless of being on sale or not, it is a very good deal. I hardwire my Ethernet into the Sony but needed to setup the wireless for the iphone App to work. I like the app, but its crippled for text entry in the browser Google or in Netflix. Do miss the mute button, but like the small size of the remote.

Will need to see how well the DLNA works. Overall a keeper.
post #386 of 4069 Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

whats the best program to use when making mkv's of your movies? Looking online, Handbrake is getting good reviews. Just curious on avs thoughts.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #387 of 4069 Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

whats the best program to use when making mkv's of your movies? Looking online, Handbrake is getting good reviews. Just curious on avs thoughts.

makemkv
post #388 of 4069 Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Amazon's price has gone up to $148 now. Still on the fence about keeping the WD TV Live Streaming I just got in or getting the 590. The WD TV is already giving me problems with it's very weak wireless signal I am receiving from my router 15 feet away and netflix looks terrible, and I can't even stream my DVD ISO files wirelessly over my network because it stutters and freezes right away. I know the 590 doesn't do DVD ISO files, so I may end up getting both...if i can get this WD TV live working at all.
post #389 of 4069 Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Amazon's price has gone up to $148 now. Still on the fence about keeping the WD TV Live Streaming I just got in or getting the 590. The WD TV is already giving me problems with it's very weak wireless signal I am receiving from my router 15 feet away and netflix looks terrible, and I can't even stream my DVD ISO files wirelessly over my network because it stutters and freezes right away. I know the 590 doesn't do DVD ISO files, so I may end up getting both...if i can get this WD TV live working at all.

If you are going to do alot of streaming from your network, the WD is better solution as the Sony and dlna are not really good combo for the job. Regardless WD or S590, if running cat 5/6 cable is out of question, my be you need a better wireless N router. Get a dual band N router if you want to use both as S590 is better off on 5GHz band in general. Depends on your setup MoCA is another possibility.
post #390 of 4069 Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why dont you get the 590, if it doesnt work for you then send it back.

If you have issues with wirelss and Netflix then surely thats a good enough reason to start looking elsewhere if those are your primary needs.

I can tell you that for the files I use with DLNA, MKV AVC DTS and DD with bitrates up to 26MB/s, they work without a hitch on the S590. Mine is hardwired though.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page