post #3961 of 4052 Old 04-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartassBoiler View Post

Hey - I hope all the helpful people here haven't moved onto better blu-ray players. smile.gif

I have an issue here. I have been using a wireless connection on the S590 for a while, but I prefer my streaming devices to have a wired connection. I have 2 problems when connected wirelessly:

1) I have to run wireless diagnostics every time I turn the device back on, or else the wireless connection will not work.
2) The network update will not work. I'm on a very old firmware version of 430.

I just connected an Ethernet cable for the first time...and now I'm getting the following when setting up the wired connection on the device:

Internet Access: Failed

I know this Ethernet connection works just fine because I can plug that same Ethernet cable into another device such as a laptop, and it works. I did some searching around, and the only fix I saw around the wired Internet connection issue was that I have to use a static IP address for this device. This, to me, is unacceptable. I don't know if this is because I'm on such an old firmware version, or if it's something else.

Any help?

Using static IPs on my players resolved problems for me. I think doing that would help you as well. I'm not sure why you find this 'unacceptable'. Have you tried it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4052 Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I would suggest that you reset the player to the factory default settings. You should then be able to set up a wired connection. And it would be a good idea to update the firmware as well.

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately that did not fix the problem. I still have the same problems with the wireless connection (network update won't work, connection won't re-establish after a power cycle) after setting it back up, and the wired connection still does not work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

Using static IPs on my players resolved problems for me. I think doing that would help you as well. I'm not sure why you find this 'unacceptable'. Have you tried it?

I find it unacceptable because that's not how any other device in my house works. When I plug in a device to an Ethernet connection, I don't expect to have to go to the router and set up a static IP address to assign to it. That's a completely unnecessary step, in my opinion, that I shouldn't have to do.

If that's the only way to get around the problem, and Sony hasn't patched that issue with a firmware update, I'll get a different blu-ray player. I'm hoping that's not the case.
post #3963 of 4052 Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately that did not fix the problem. I still have the same problems with the wireless connection (network update won't work, connection won't re-establish after a power cycle) after setting it back up, and the wired connection still does not work.
I find it unacceptable because that's not how any other device in my house works. When I plug in a device to an Ethernet connection, I don't expect to have to go to the router and set up a static IP address to assign to it. That's a completely unnecessary step, in my opinion, that I shouldn't have to do.

If that's the only way to get around the problem, and Sony hasn't patched that issue with a firmware update, I'll get a different blu-ray player. I'm hoping that's not the case.
I've never seen that on any of my 90 series players on any firmware, and I've never used static IP's on them. That's definitely not normal. Can you update the firmware via disc or USB?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3964 of 4052 Old 04-01-2014, 08:56 PM

I have two Sony Blu-ray players, BDP-S390. I like to watch TV series on DVD and a 5 disc player would make that easier when at the end of a disc with one episode. Then after getting all settled in and watching 45 minutes of it having to get up to switch discs.

I would like to be able to have two Sony BDP-S390 each connected with HDMI to their own HDMI input on the back of my Yamaha surround sound receiver. I have a older Logitech Harmony one universal remote I play to program a separate "Activity" into, Like "Watch Top Blu-ray" and "Watch Bottom Blu-ray"

The idea was that I could load say the first disc of a season into the top player, and the second disc into the bottom player. Now when I get to the end of the first disc, I can switch to the second player, second disc. I couldn't find anyone that makes a 5 disc Blu-ray player and I don't want to spend the money on the 400 disc Sony unit.

This idea would work just fine, but there is one problem I over looked. Then fact that both units will be getting the IR commands from the remote at the same time and be doing the same thing. Is there a way I can power toggle between the two units? Is there a way to command which unit powers up with the HDMI cable by which input is selected on the Yamaha Receiver? I'm looking for any solution to be able to control each Blu-ray player separately, mainly which one is power on. I know it complicates things but having the same unit looks nicer on my stand.
post #3965 of 4052 Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The only brand of players of the same model you can control independently via IR is Panasonic. You can control each Sony with a smartphone.

post #3966 of 4052 Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 PM

I think I put this in the wrong spot. I wanted to start a new thread. Thank you for the response.
post #3967 of 4052 Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

As mdavej mentioned, there's no indication that this is an issue with firmware based on others posts here. These players were very popular, in part due to their networking features, when they were new and this was once a very active thread. If the type of problem you are having was common, there would have been more reports. In my case, setting static IPs resolved an issue related to DLNA. If I recall, the server (Serviio) was getting confused because the player would frequently obtain a different IP address after it powered up following auto shutdown.

In any network configuration, there are multiple devices that have to perform functions for everything to work properly. Unless the network components on your player are starting to fail, there is likely something going on your network which is playing a part in your problem. Setting a static IP is a means of simplifying the interaction which if not a solution may be a means of eliminating possible causes.
post #3968 of 4052 Old 04-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Looking for solution ideas...

BX-59 is unable to see computers connected to the same router on same network. Previously worked fine and could share photos etc. - not sure if the BX-59 update caused problem.

Sony BX-59 is connected wirelessly to router and is able to access internet fine
One computer connected wirelessly to network (router)
One computer connected to network (router) via Ethernet
Computers can PING BX-59 successfully
BX-59 can only see router. Update/refresh does not find the computers
All drives/files on computers are shared and can be seen by each other.
Reset BX-59 back to defaults with no resolution to problem.
Prior to noticing the problem I am unaware of any hardware, software, firewall, anti-virus changes (this is my home network)

I read the computers cannot belong to a homegroup. I have removed and joined a homegroup with no change noticed.
The two computers do belong to a workgroup.

Anybody have any suggestions on getting the BR player to see the computers so I can share files off of them with the player?

Thanks,
post #3969 of 4052 Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I've run Serviio on a couple of Homegroup computers with no issues. Could UPnP have been turned off in your router? Not sure if that's required, but it's a common thing with devices like this.

Realize that Sony players have never been able to see network shares, only DLNA servers. So if you have no DLNA servers running or they have been blocked by some anti-virus updates or firewall changes, then you can have problems. So make sure those still work. Do you have any other devices that can see your DLNA servers?

post #3970 of 4052 Old 04-03-2014, 02:36 PM

MDaveJ,

Thanks for the reply.

I just checked the router and uPNP is enabled.

I really don't have anything to test the DLNA server with. In fact when I first got the blu ray player I just did a basic setup and the computers just showed up on the player. I was able to access all my photos and videos which were on the computer. I have never installed any DLNA sever software. However, a few months ago that all stopped working.

Running the network diagnostics indicates everything is fine. I am not sure what would be blocked by the firewall to have produced this issue, but nothing stands out (but I am not sure what to look for). The anti-virus software (avast) gets regular updates so that may have caused the problem at some point.

Maybe I will try the server software you mentioned.

If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks again.
post #3971 of 4052 Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startbuck66 View Post

MDaveJ,

Thanks for the reply.

I just checked the router and uPNP is enabled.

I really don't have anything to test the DLNA server with. In fact when I first got the blu ray player I just did a basic setup and the computers just showed up on the player. I was able to access all my photos and videos which were on the computer. I have never installed any DLNA sever software. However, a few months ago that all stopped working.

Running the network diagnostics indicates everything is fine. I am not sure what would be blocked by the firewall to have produced this issue, but nothing stands out (but I am not sure what to look for). The anti-virus software (avast) gets regular updates so that may have caused the problem at some point.

Maybe I will try the server software you mentioned.

If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks again.
Since you're apparently using Windows media sharing, I'd check those settings too and see if that's still enabled. That's one case where it really could be limited to just the Homegroup unless you tell it otherwise. Failing that, I'd give Serviio a try since it's going to enable you to play back a whole lot more types of video files than you can with Windows. If you want to keep things simple, try Sony's HomeStream server, which is a version of Serviio customized for Sony.

I've noticed that whenever your network changes (logins, routers, passwords, etc.), you get a prompt that asks if it's Home, Public, etc. If you answer wrong, you can end up locking down your PCs pretty tight. So you may want to check and see which zone your network is set up for as well.

post #3972 of 4052 Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 PM

I downloaded Serviio and the player is able to see files on the computer. Serviio does not seem to have much as far as fast-forward, reverse etc goes when watching my particular videos (just home videos).

As you mentioned, I must have made changes to my systems without realizing I did so. I will keep tweaking to see if I can find a solution.

On a side note, my home videos are in a .vob format (I assume some sort of mpeg or mpeg2), If I were to convert them so as to allow them to play on the BX-59 without having to use the transcoding (I am assuming that would be better), which encoding would you use? - e.g. .mkv, mpg, h.264, etc. There seem to be so many combinations, I am not sure which one is the best to use. Right now my videos are in a standard definition 4:3 format. would converting them to a HD format be better? They're also broken up into 1GB segments so that is problematic as well.

I have about 160 videos to convert if I did so. I would only want to do it once.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. It is very much appreciated.
post #3973 of 4052 Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 PM

This has probably been mentioned before, but we're having a small issue with our BDP-S590.

Seems like half the time when we shut it off, it hangs. We have to then hold the power button down for like 15+ seconds, and then it powers down. Or just unplug it from the wall.

Is this issue common? I obviously have a workaround, but it seems like it shouldn't be doing this, especially as much as it does. Personally I don't care that much but it really ticks off my wife for some reason. She thinks it's defective, I think it's a good/great unit with this one tiny flaw.

Thoughts? Is this common? Anything I'm doing to cause this unknowingly? We mostly use it for Netflix, occasionally Pandora and watching actual physical DVD/Blu-Rays.

thanks!
post #3974 of 4052 Old 04-04-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 384
FWIW, my 590 is not connected to the network and always shuts down immediately.

Selden
post #3975 of 4052 Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startbuck66 View Post

I downloaded Serviio and the player is able to see files on the computer. Serviio does not seem to have much as far as fast-forward, reverse etc goes when watching my particular videos (just home videos).

As you mentioned, I must have made changes to my systems without realizing I did so. I will keep tweaking to see if I can find a solution.

On a side note, my home videos are in a .vob format (I assume some sort of mpeg or mpeg2), If I were to convert them so as to allow them to play on the BX-59 without having to use the transcoding (I am assuming that would be better), which encoding would you use? - e.g. .mkv, mpg, h.264, etc. There seem to be so many combinations, I am not sure which one is the best to use. Right now my videos are in a standard definition 4:3 format. would converting them to a HD format be better? They're also broken up into 1GB segments so that is problematic as well.

I have about 160 videos to convert if I did so. I would only want to do it once.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. It is very much appreciated.
I always watch vob on my HTPC and have never attempted to stream or convert them. Generally I don't convert anything for compatibility with a device. I think it's a waste of time because my next device may expect yet another totally different format. Better to get a device compatible with your files as they are, IMO, especially when so much time and effort is involved. I think WinTV and Oppo also play vob. I don't know much about formats, and there are lots of them, but MKV seems to be the most popular right now. Converting SD to HD really doesn't buy you anything. Just let your playback device upconvert on the fly.

post #3976 of 4052 Old 04-05-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarmercedes View Post

needing help just bought a projector and dvd player with wired speakers my problem is my dvd only has hdmi hook up so while my projector will receive the image my reciever surround sound speakers will not receive sound =( i already spent money on my a converter about 100 dollars and it still won't work the hdmi converter to component didn't work so my receiver still didn't receive audio signal any ideas? My dvd player is only hdmi thank you

Please provide the exact model numbers of your projector, receiver and disc player. That'll make it much easier for people to help. However, your description suggests that your receiver has no HDMI inputs. If so, you need an HDMI converter which has audio outputs, not one with component video outputs. In other words, you need something like this: .http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2
cesarmercedes likes this.

Selden
post #3977 of 4052 Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 AM

I didnt think of that does it really work? Because the converter i bought never did everything was hooked up according to the manual and My projector is a benq w7000 and my dvd player is a sony bdp bx 510 the receiver is a regular cd player it only has the audio input i use it on aux mode in order to hear the audio
post #3978 of 4052 Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 131
BX510 belongs in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-bdp-s4100-and-bdp-s5100/2850

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3979 of 4052 Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't matter, they're all the same. Plug in digital coax or get an adapter for digital coax. At this point you've already spent more on adapters than a new receiver would cost. Component doesn't carry audio anyway.

post #3980 of 4052 Old 04-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Alright so how does the coax cable and adapter work? And exactly what am i going to need?
post #3981 of 4052 Old 04-05-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry but I have no idea what inputs "a regular CD player" has. I've never seen any inputs on a CD player. You'll have to be more specific. Do you have a model number?

In any case, here are the possibilities:
- Your receiver only has analog audio inputs. Get a digital coax to analog converter like Selden suggests below.
- Your receiver has an optical input. Get a digital coax to optical converter.
- Your receiver has a digital coax input. Plug it in.
- Your receiver has none of the above. Get a new receiver.
- Your receiver has only analog audio inputs, but you don't want to buy any converters. Get an older model BD player with analog audio outputs.

post #3982 of 4052 Old 04-05-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarmercedes View Post

I didnt think of that does it really work? Because the converter i bought never did everything was hooked up according to the manual and My projector is a benq w7000 and my dvd player is a sony bdp bx 510 the receiver is a regular cd player it only has the audio input i use it on aux mode in order to hear the audio

Can you please provide the manufacturer and model number of your "regular cd player"?
From your description, I'm guessing that it's some kind of packaged system which has its own speakers and that its "aux" input is a stereo analog connection which would use a pair of RCA cables, usually color coded Red (for the right channel) and White (for the left channel).

In addition to its HDMI output, the Sony BX 510 has a digital audio coax (S/PDIF) output. One option would be to get what's called a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) . That's a device which converts from coax digital audio to analog audio. There are lots of them available, and many cost absurd amounts of money. However, Radio Shack sells one for a reasonable amount (~$40). See http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12075975&utm_source=GooglePLA&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=1500093&gclid=CPCUhIOfyr0CFUk77AodyVoAAA&gclsrc=ds

Selden
post #3983 of 4052 Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Has anyone been having issues with the provisioning server = failed? I can't get connected to netflix or pandora. I've tried everything, including reading something on another forum and trying this:

1) Go to Sony's site and removing my bluray player from my account.
2) resetting my unit to complete factory settings.
3) Turn off bluray player, including unplugging it from the wall. let it set for ~15 minutes
4) Turn back on, go through and add in my network settings, it's 100% connected to my wireless network, no issues.
5) Go to network and get the authentication code, enter that in on Sony's site, check under system settings, it says provisioning server = succeeded. yay!
6) try to open Netflix and or Pandora, still says there's a network error. I go check again, and it says provisioning status = failed. Boo!

Any ideas? i've read/heard this is an issue with servers on Sony's side, where your wireless has to authenticate with their servers as a gateway into netflix, pandora, other apps, etc... if that's the case, then there's nothing I can do. it's been down for THREE DAYS now, and no end in site. aggrivating to the point of ditching this unit and getting something else.

Ideas? anyone else have this issue? Any workarounds outside of the above? it can't be a router setting as I changed nothing and it worked flawlessly for months and months. And no bluray software updates lately that have caused this. It HAS to be on their end, yes?

Thanks for your help! If my daughter can't watch Strawberry Shortcake soon, or my son watch clone Wars, it's gonna get ugly around here! :-)
post #3984 of 4052 Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBNet View Post

Has anyone been having issues with the provisioning server = failed? I can't get connected to netflix or pandora. I've tried everything, including reading something on another forum and trying this:

1) Go to Sony's site and removing my bluray player from my account.
2) resetting my unit to complete factory settings.
3) Turn off bluray player, including unplugging it from the wall. let it set for ~15 minutes
4) Turn back on, go through and add in my network settings, it's 100% connected to my wireless network, no issues.
5) Go to network and get the authentication code, enter that in on Sony's site, check under system settings, it says provisioning server = succeeded. yay!
6) try to open Netflix and or Pandora, still says there's a network error. I go check again, and it says provisioning status = failed. Boo!

Any ideas? i've read/heard this is an issue with servers on Sony's side, where your wireless has to authenticate with their servers as a gateway into netflix, pandora, other apps, etc... if that's the case, then there's nothing I can do. it's been down for THREE DAYS now, and no end in site. aggrivating to the point of ditching this unit and getting something else.

Ideas? anyone else have this issue? Any workarounds outside of the above? it can't be a router setting as I changed nothing and it worked flawlessly for months and months. And no bluray software updates lately that have caused this. It HAS to be on their end, yes?
I'm having the same issue with my S390. I tried Netflix, Amazon, and Crackle and get the network error message for all. My signal strength is high and it says I am connected to the internet. My Roku 2 XD and Roku-1 both work fine.

edit: hmmm... I also have a Sony BDP-S185 and Netflix, etc. is working fine on that. I normally use my Rokus for internet streaming but happened to be watching a blu-ray on the S390 and when it ended I decided to watch something on Netflix. I don't really need the S390 for anything but optical media but it bothers me when things don't work as they should (and used to).
post #3985 of 4052 Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Since I'm getting nowhere on this, and what I'm reading is it's sporadic and effecting a lot of folks, and no matter what you do, even if it works temporarily, it might stop working again.

Question: Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement wifi bluray player? One that preferably doesn't filter you through a provisioning server/service like Sony does? Ideally, if you're connected to the internet, you click the app (Pandora, Netflix, etc...) and it should just work. What abotu Roku or Apple TV, etc...? Any thoughts? I have zero issues with the bluray functionality of my BDP-S590, so maybe just adding a streaming device would be the best route... thoughts? 100% frustrating, I tell you that. It's been 4-5 days now and still nothing works from an internet standpoint.
post #3986 of 4052 Old 04-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Since I'm getting nowhere on this, and what I'm reading is it's sporadic and effecting a lot of folks, and no matter what you do, even if it works temporarily, it might stop working again.
According to a moderator on the Sony forum "We've forwarded this issue to our engineering team". Maybe it will get fixed.
rpiangozza likes this.
post #3987 of 4052 Old 04-12-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Question: Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement wifi bluray player? One that preferably doesn't filter you through a provisioning server/service like Sony does? Ideally, if you're connected to the internet, you click the app (Pandora, Netflix, etc...) and it should just work. What abotu Roku or Apple TV, etc...? Any thoughts? I have zero issues with the bluray functionality of my BDP-S590, so maybe just adding a streaming device would be the best route... thoughts? 100% frustrating, I tell you that. It's been 4-5 days now and still nothing works from an internet standpoint.
I definitely recommend a Roku. Even the most basic Roku 1 for $50 does 1080p and Dolby Digital + (older base models were limited to 720p). When I got my first Roku it was mainly to get mlb.tv (which Sony added to their 2013 blu-ray players but annoyingly not to the slightly older S390 or S185). Roku does offer virtually any internet channel you can think of. I also use my PC as a home theater computer and prefer using the Roku.
post #3988 of 4052 Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post

According to a moderator on the Sony forum "We've forwarded this issue to our engineering team". Maybe it will get fixed.
This is good to hear. I have the s590 and I checked several different settings within the player and reset everything and as an IT security geek by trade I read the technical software details in the System Settings>Software License Information and the players software uses OpenSSL, which has been in the news recently regarding the big security flaw labeled the Heartbleed bug. So this is most likely why our players are not connecting to the internet services. Also the YouTube for TV app in the player displays a SSL Alert message and won't connect at all. Most or all services upgraded their OpenSSL to fix the bug, but Sony BD players have not. I hope we won't have to wait too long for a firmware upgrade or fix. frown.gif
post #3989 of 4052 Old 04-13-2014, 05:41 PM

I've been having network connectivity issues lately too. I have been resetting both of my Ethernet switches and pulling the plug on my 590. That seems to fix the problem but sometimes it comes back after the next power cycle of the Blu-ray player. I also noticed that when I launch Netflix, it no longer does the "Downloading new internet content" or whatever it used to say. I really don't want to replace this player as it is my favorite Netflix device and the SACD support is a nice bonus.
post #3990 of 4052 Old 04-13-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post

I've been having network connectivity issues lately too. I have been resetting both of my Ethernet switches and pulling the plug on my 590. That seems to fix the problem but sometimes it comes back after the next power cycle of the Blu-ray player. I also noticed that when I launch Netflix, it no longer does the "Downloading new internet content" or whatever it used to say. I really don't want to replace this player as it is my favorite Netflix device and the SACD support is a nice bonus.
It's a Sony problem and it took a lot of complaints from numerous people on the Sony forum before they finally said they would look in to it. Re-sets might get it going again but that won't fix it. I imagine it will get corrected without anyone (other than Sony) knowing what the problem really was.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page