Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3991 of 4017 Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I 100% agree it's a Sony issue. And I 100% agree they (Sony) will never tell us what actually happened; i.e. "we had an issue with our DNS servers which has been fixed", etc... because they can't admit wrongdoing in case of a class-action lawsuit or whatever. Mine finally started working yesterday (SAT) afternoon, and about 2 hours later stopped working again. Except for that 2 hour window, I have not been able to connect to ANY apps (not just Netflix) since TUES night. Very aggravating. Keep in mind this is not a problem on YOUR end, but on Sony's. I have jumped through hoops trying to get it to work to no avail. Until they fix it on their end, we just have to wait. And when it does get fixed, you will then have to relogin to Netflix, Pandora, etc... and it's a PITA. Might as well just let it set, and suddenly (hopefully SOON!) it will just magically start working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4017 Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My AVR no longer seems to decode DTS from the S590. When trying to play a bluray, I only get sound during menus and previews. When the movie starts, no sound and the AVR reads Decoder off. AVR support says the AVR is not getting a signal from blu ray, but it plays DD5.1. Is this a blu ray issue or AVR?

EDIT: factory reset of the Yamaha AVR fixed it. I hesitated on doing this because of all the work I put into the settings. Apparently, the wifey cut the system on by putting in a Blu-ray Disc (without cutting on the rest of the system first). This forced the system ON from the bluray player and screwed up the "handshake" with the AVR.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #3993 of 4017 Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Has anyone else gotten "A Network Error Has Occurred" when trying to connect to Netflix or Amaon Video? This started maybe a week or so ago, did they screw something up with an update? The player says that the internet connection is fine, but I can't actually open any of the apps.

HBNet, I just realized your post was in regards to this. It makes me mad because I'm paying for a service that I can't actually use...
post #3994 of 4017 Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 312
I've had the network error a few times this past week as well.
post #3995 of 4017 Old 04-20-2014, 03:15 AM

Is anyone having audio issues with Netflix? I had the network error problem for several days last week and finally got that sorted out. Watched a movie yesterday and everything worked fine. Switched to another movie, without powering off, just went to browse, and lost all my audio except for LFE. The only sound came from the subwoofer. Audio works fine on discs, just not Netflix. Anyone else have this issue? Still doesn't work this morning.
post #3996 of 4017 Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeCozen1 View Post

My AVR no longer seems to decode DTS from the S590. When trying to play a bluray, I only get sound during menus and previews. When the movie starts, no sound and the AVR reads Decoder off. AVR support says the AVR is not getting a signal from blu ray, but it plays DD5.1. Is this a blu ray issue or AVR?

EDIT: factory reset of the Yamaha AVR fixed it. I hesitated on doing this because of all the work I put into the settings. Apparently, the wifey cut the system on by putting in a Blu-ray Disc (without cutting on the rest of the system first). This forced the system ON from the bluray player and screwed up the "handshake" with the AVR.

I am having a similar problem with certain Blurays. It wil lplay the menu audio (sometimes) but I get "no audio" from my Emotiva UMC200. It doesn't do it for all disks, just certain ones. For example, I wanted to calibrate my projector using the Spears and Munsil disk........NO audio. Good thing I didn't need the audio.

Anyone else experience this? I would just hate to have to spend money to get an OPPO, but I just might have to. smile.gif

I will look into the handshake issue. maybe turn on the Bluray player last. Dunno.
post #3997 of 4017 Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlechner View Post

I am having a similar problem with certain Blurays. It wil lplay the menu audio (sometimes) but I get "no audio" from my Emotiva UMC200. It doesn't do it for all disks, just certain ones. For example, I wanted to calibrate my projector using the Spears and Munsil disk........NO audio. Good thing I didn't need the audio.

Anyone else experience this? I would just hate to have to spend money to get an OPPO, but I just might have to. smile.gif

I will look into the handshake issue. maybe turn on the Bluray player last. Dunno.
Have you turned off Deep Color?

(May sound strange, but Deep Color uses a lot of unnecessary bandwidth and generally increases potential for problems, especially with long cable runs.)
mo949 likes this.
post #3998 of 4017 Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlechner View Post

I spoke with both Sony Tech support (BDP S590) and Yamaha (RX-V473 AVR) to try and resolve my issue. It was definitely an issue with the AVR as it required a factory reset to correct. I also factory reset the BDP audio settings which didn't help.

Did you get DTS sound previously?
When playing the disk in question, does the AVR display read "decoder off" or something similar or does it show "DTS"?

If you route all equipment via HDMI through the AVR like I do, you might want to check the BDP to make sure the audio setting is "bitstream" to allow the receiver to decode the sound and not the BDP (assuming your receiver decodes DTS). If you use ARC features, this needs to be enabled on all devices.

The usual power off and on cycle did not correct this for me. First, I would recommend connecting the BDP separate from the AVR to see if you get sound. If you do, try a factory reset of the AVR because this is probably where the issue is.

Good Luck...or not if you're looking for an excuse to buy an OPPO.

EDIT: ^^^or what Vamp said. I've had my Deep Color turned off for so long I forgot about that. Thanks.

Panasonic 55VT50
Yamaha RX-V473
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Sony BDP-S590
ROKU 2XS
TiVo Roamio Basic
Mohu Curve 30
post #3999 of 4017 Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Thanks gents! I will take a look tonight. It isn't will ALL BDs, just certain ones. Not too mention all DVDs, Vudu and netflix work with no problems.
post #4000 of 4017 Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM

After 2 WEEKS of this nonsense, we threw in the towel and went and bought a Samsung Wifi Bluray player. connects directly to Apps (netflix and pandora are all we use) and no issues. Easy setup, connected very fast. This is it, no more Sony for me. With no answers EVER from them, complete silence, it's total BS.

BTW for those still effected, I found a halfway solution - turn off quick start, and it seems to connect to the provisional servers. But still netflix is grainy, not perfect.
Plus, if this is the "fix", why didn't Sony just push this down via software upgrade? it's like they don't care because it's not the newest product or something.

Anyways, I hope for the rest of you Sony gets their #$%^ together and fixes their stuff and makes it stable, but for me, I'm out.
post #4001 of 4017 Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You can never seem to get these players to give you everything you want in one box. the S590/790 is the goto player for Netflix and Amazon DD5.1 audio and 1080 though....the other stuff is a bit wonky for sure.

HBNet, if you use surround sound at all you may want to confirm that your new player is compatible with NF DD5.1 streams.
post #4002 of 4017 Old 05-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Hi,

I'm playing some mkv and mp4 video files with external SRT subtitle files (same_file_name.MKV .MP4 .SRT). My S590 which was bought about 14 months (never updated) s not able to display the subs. Any ideas what's happening?

Thanks
post #4003 of 4017 Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarcio View Post

Hi,

I'm playing some mkv and mp4 video files with external SRT subtitle files (same_file_name.MKV .MP4 .SRT). My S590 which was bought about 14 months (never updated) s not able to display the subs. Any ideas what's happening?

Thanks

It never supported external SRT subs. Just mux them into the MKV container with MKVToolNix, takes a few seconds.
post #4004 of 4017 Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 AM

Liked: 13
I've been trying to run a pixel orbiter to fix some IR on my st60 from the WOW disc but the sony bdp-390 keeps turning itself off. Any thoughts as to how to fix this?

Sent from my iDevicr using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.
post #4005 of 4017 Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveAbides View Post

I've been trying to run a pixel orbiter to fix some IR on my st60 from the WOW disc but the sony bdp-390 keeps turning itself off. Any thoughts as to how to fix this?

Nevermind. It's the screensaver. I just didn't expect it to turn off the player.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typos or brevity.
post #4006 of 4017 Old 05-07-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nevermind. It's the screensaver. I just didn't expect it to turn off the player.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typos or brevity.

I was wrong. Turned off the screensaver, it still shuts itself off 15-30min from first turning on the pixel flipper on the WOW disc. Hmm.

post #4007 of 4017 Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was wrong. Turned off the screensaver, it still shuts itself off 15-30min from first turning on the pixel flipper on the WOW disc. Hmm.

its not going to work, I promise. I went through all the things you are going through, but with an S370 and S390 as well. Sorry frown.gif
post #4008 of 4017 Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:

If you search a little ways up the thread, you'll see that I was also trying to figure this out with my 590, with no success.

It drives me crazy that I can't pause a movie for more than a few minutes without the damn player stopping. When you have small children, it's rare to be able to get through a movie without having to take at least one break. And the fact that you have to go through all the copyright warnings, trailers, etc and then find your place again is very, very annoying. This Sony is the only player I've had that won't let you pause the movie for an extended period of time.

I just replaced my 590 in my main viewing area with an Oppo.

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #4009 of 4017 Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 283
^^^
Couldn't you just press some random button on the remote every 15 minutes while running the pixel flipper to keep it from sleeping. Kind of a pain, I know, but cheaper than an Oppo. My kids are grown, and I typically watch a movie straight through or start one day and finish the next, so the shutdown doesn't bother me. But it would be nice if there was an option to disable it on pause.
post #4010 of 4017 Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^
Couldn't you just press some random button on the remote every 15 minutes while running the pixel flipper to keep it from sleeping. Kind of a pain, I know, but cheaper than an Oppo. My kids are grown, and I typically watch a movie straight through or start one day and finish the next, so the shutdown doesn't bother me. But it would be nice if there was an option to disable it on pause.

Pixel flippers should run at least an hour, if not over night. We have 10 month old twins, and only turn it on when they're really restless and need some baby Einstein. So the tv probably used an hour or less a day. It would probably go away on its own if we watched more.

I'm a little upset because the set has only been used maybe 300 hours and the IR happened during 1 22 min show, not a marathon or anything.

post #4011 of 4017 Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 PM

I have problems playing some DTS .MKV files from my external HDD.

My Sony BDP-S590 has latest firmware.

When i start to listen a .MKV with DTS sound, the picture hangs after a couple of minutes.

I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to restart my S590.

I did try some options in mkvtoolnix but didn't find the fix.

Any suggestions?

post #4012 of 4017 Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Network error

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg115 View Post
Is anyone having audio issues with Netflix? I had the network error problem for several days last week and finally got that sorted out. Watched a movie yesterday and everything worked fine. Switched to another movie, without powering off, just went to browse, and lost all my audio except for LFE. The only sound came from the subwoofer. Audio works fine on discs, just not Netflix. Anyone else have this issue? Still doesn't work this morning.
I have had the network error since I bought the S590. It seems the error occurs if I try to use any streaming function right after the player boots up. If U can wait 15 seconds before selecting a streaming app, or retry it after 15 seconds, I have been able to connect with no problems.
post #4013 of 4017 Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Sony S590 USB input compatibility

I have several thumb drives & External hard drives that are loaded with music, photos & movies. It seems that the most recent external drive I purchased, a WD My Passport 1TB drive does not get recognized by the player. I purchased it mainly to use as input to the S590, as it uses a smaller laptop drive which requires no external power supply. The S590 maybe not supplying enough power on the USB connector? My Buffalo woks fine. Anyone have any ideas on why? Is there a list of compatible external drives somewhere? Do I need to do a firmware upgrade on the S590? THX, Scott
post #4014 of 4017 Old 07-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfox View Post
I have several thumb drives & External hard drives that are loaded with music, photos & movies. It seems that the most recent external drive I purchased, a WD My Passport 1TB drive does not get recognized by the player. I purchased it mainly to use as input to the S590, as it uses a smaller laptop drive which requires no external power supply. The S590 maybe not supplying enough power on the USB connector? My Buffalo woks fine. Anyone have any ideas on why? Is there a list of compatible external drives somewhere? Do I need to do a firmware upgrade on the S590? THX, Scott
The manual describes the USB port as follows:

USB jack Type A (For connecting a USB memory, memory card reader, digital still camera, and digital video camera)

Unfortunately, there are no details about power requirements, etc. but it sounds like the player is not able to power your drive. You could see if Sony support can give you more details, but generally the player is intended to be used with flash drives and similar. If you want more content than will fit on a flash drive, I would suggest using DLNA, though a powered hard drive may work as well.
post #4015 of 4017 Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottfox View Post

1. Try reinitializing the drive with a single partition. If you have a Windows computer, you can use the diskpart utility.

The Passport USB drives that I'm familiar with come pre-fomatted with several partitions. My understanding is that Sony's players can only access drives which contain a single partition.

2. If that doesn't help, try a powered USB hub. Many USB disks require more power than BD players can provide.

Selden
post #4016 of 4017 Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM

BD590 not recognizing WD drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
1. Try reinitializing the drive with a single partition. If you have a Windows computer, you can use the diskpart utility.

The Passport USB drives that I'm familiar with come pre-fomatted with several partitions. My understanding is that Sony's players can only access drives which contain a single partition.

2. If that doesn't help, try a powered USB hub. Many USB disks require more power than BD players can provide.

My passport is set up as a single partition. Though it is NTFS, where my buffalo that is recognized is set up as FAT32. Could that be the issue? The light comes on in the WD, so I think it is getting the needed power. My thumb drives all work OK, they are also FAT32.
post #4017 of 4017 Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 325
NTFS format is supported up to at least 1TB. See http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray...-be/td-p/65275

However, just because the "busy" light comes on does not mean that the drive is getting enough power for it to be able to spin up.

Selden
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread