Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4021 of 4022 Old 07-26-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Um, I have another question. If I do use my desktop to transcode, does that mean I send the output directly to my projector or can I keep the Sony BD in the equation? With the Sony I can use its remote to control play. If the desktop, then I have to figure out how to control play. I think I can maybe use the HDTV app to do that, if I am using file types that it can deal with. Thanks for answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4022 Old 07-26-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Um, I have another question. If I do use my desktop to transcode, does that mean I send the output directly to my projector or can I keep the Sony BD in the equation? With the Sony I can use its remote to control play. If the desktop, then I have to figure out how to control play. I think I can maybe use the HDTV app to do that, if I am using file types that it can deal with. Thanks for answers.
If you do that, you've just made yourself an HTPC (check out the HTPC forum as well). That can easily be controlled by remote as well. Just get an IR dongle and possibly an RF remote if it's not line of sight, just use a smartphone app to control it over wi-fi. Pick your favorite remote friendly app for playback, like XBMC, Plex , JRiver or MB3. Some of those can also run on a Pi, Roku, or Android box of some sort, in case you'd rather not connect your TV directly to your PC. I connect mine only because my PC is also my 6 tuner whole-home cable TV DVR. I stream other files to my Sony BD players in other rooms of the house.

Having said all that, I think transcoding is evil. It generally looks terrible, even with a lot of computing power. Just encode in a native format Sony can play to begin with. Transcoding is great for small screen devices like phones and tablets, but not for TVs and certainly not for projectors. If I were you, I'd try harder to find solutions that don't require transcoding. With Serviio, my Sony players can play about 90% of all my videos without transcoding.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page