Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 4076 Old 09-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, my first time on these forums - hope I'm posting in the right thread.

I can play all my movie files - mkv, avi etc - just fine off a HDD connected via USB. However when connecting via the network (I use a home WiFi LAN), even though my S590 can see all of the folders and files, every single time I try to play one I get the dreaded "File corrupt or unspported" - even though it's the exact same movie file that played fine off USB.

Any ideas what causes this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4076 Old 09-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ky View Post
Hi all, my first time on these forums - hope I'm posting in the right thread.

I can play all my movie files - mkv, avi etc - just fine off a HDD connected via USB. However when connecting via the network (I use a home WiFi LAN), even though my S590 can see all of the folders and files, every single time I try to play one I get the dreaded "File corrupt or unspported" - even though it's the exact same movie file that played fine off USB.

Any ideas what causes this?

Let us know the following:
-container you are using
-audio and video codecs in the files you are trying to play
- DLNA server you are using
post #4053 of 4076 Old 09-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I have had a BDP S390 for a couple of years now and I’ve been able to stream all my AVI movies (Xvid video format) from my laptop through our hardline network to the bluray player without a problem (using Windows Media Player). I recently purchased a WD My Cloud and copied the movies over. I believe the WD My Cloud uses the Twonky media server. The S390 detected the NAS right away and lists all the movies, but I get the message “file is corrupt or unsupported” whenever I try to play them. Again, I have not changed the format of the movies, they are identical to the ones on the laptop. One thing I noticed is that when I check the movie list from the laptop on the S390, it shows the movie format as AVI. However, when I do the same from the NAS, it shows the movie format as MPEG. Any ideas how I can get this fixed?

Thanks!
post #4054 of 4076 Old 10-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was hilarious even if a bit predictable!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #4055 of 4076 Old 10-22-2014, 03:31 PM

If you are using Homstream, you may have to switch the device type to "generic device". That usually does the trick for me, but Homestream is pretty fickle.
post #4056 of 4076 Old 10-24-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was looking into updating my S590 for a S6200 but I see that the S590 goes for $200 used on Amazon, that's $50 more than a new S6200!

I was thinking of upgrading for the better PQ streaming, though I've never had any issues with DLNA. Apart from output options... does anyone have an insight as to why the S590 is this popular, what does it do, or have, I might be missing?
post #4057 of 4076 Old 10-25-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 521
For one thing, the S590 can decode 7.1 Dolby and DTS into 7.1 LPCM, which is used when secondary audio mix is enabled.

The x200 series players decode 7.1 Dolby and DTS into 2.0 LPCM. Sony saved money by licensing only 2 channel decoders.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4058 of 4076 Old 10-25-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
For one thing, the S590 can decode 7.1 Dolby and DTS into 7.1 LPCM, which is used when secondary audio mix is enabled.

The x200 series players decode 7.1 Dolby and DTS into 2.0 LPCM. Sony saved money by licensing only 2 channel decoders.
Selden -

The x2000 players still pass the multichannel Dolby/DTS, (from internet streams, DLNA, and USB) through to a capable receiver, right?

And for my own education, in case I've been using it but not knowing (I blame the slim Sony manuals and cryptic x-bar interface)... but what do you mean by "when secondary audio mix is enabled."

Thanks!

Last edited by dlarkin_dc; 10-25-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #4059 of 4076 Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post
Selden -

The x2000 players still pass the multichannel Dolby/DTS, (from internet streams, DLNA, and USB) through to a capable receiver, right?
If the incoming DTS or Dolby audio stream is passed unchanged through to the receiver, then that's called bitstreaming, and you get all of the channels provided by the supplier. The two-channel limitation is a problem when the disc player translates DTS or Dolby into unencoded LPCM (linear pulse coded modulation).

Quote:
And for my own education, in case I've been using it but not knowing (I blame the slim Sony manuals and cryptic x-bar interface)... but what do you mean by "when secondary audio mix is enabled."

Thanks!
Secondary Audio Mix is an option in Blu-ray players which can be used when a Blu-ray disc has been authored in a way which includes "extras" that can overlay (put popup windows and dialog on top of) the main program. Secondary audio/video is actually used on very few discs, though. The Adventures of TinTin is one, I think. Mixing is turned on by default in most players, including Sony's, and has to be turned off if you want to bitstream the audio. You'll have to dig through the player's menus to find it.
dlarkin_dc likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4060 of 4076 Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 AM

Selden,

Thanks for all that, I understand the audio side of things a lot better. While it's no too complex, the terminology is!

I've continued my exploration of the bit-streaming on the newer models here...
Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200

Dave
post #4061 of 4076 Old 11-11-2014, 03:46 AM

My dad has this system and he hasn't had any issues like this....
post #4062 of 4076 Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 390 and it is junk, always freezes up. I don’t believe i will sell it on ebay, as it may be defective. I would like to find a good player without 3D, I hate 3D.

I like my two Oppos, but do not use the 3D feature or any firmware upgrades.

I hear the older Cambridge are good, and I like the built in DAC, any good Sony?
post #4063 of 4076 Old 11-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question How to Verify HD Playback in Amazon?

Hello Forum!

We have come across this interesting support document from Sony concerning how to verify HD playback in Amazon:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...37566%E2%80%8B

However, we're not sure this document is relevant to the S390. It was linked concerning the S3200 which appears to have an entirely different UI.
Not sure why Sony isn't clear on which models this is relevant to. Don't the UI's vary depending upon which model?

Can anyone confirm the relevance of this to the S390? If it is relevant, we are getting no HD at all in spite of appearing as though we are.
If it isn't relevant, can anyone confirm how to verify HD playback while streaming Amazon in the S390?

Connection is wired. Our internet connection rocks with dl speed consistently 100-120 & ul speed 17-20.

We thank everyone for all this amazing information and help on this inquiry.
post #4064 of 4076 Old 11-23-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 444
^^^ FWIW, my old 390 and 590 would never stream Amazon in HD. The 90 series won't stream Netflix at the 2 highest HD bitrates either. Those are a few of the many reasons I upgraded to the 100 series.
post #4065 of 4076 Old 11-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBob View Post
I have the 390 and it is junk, always freezes up. I don’t believe i will sell it on ebay, as it may be defective. I would like to find a good player without 3D, I hate 3D.
Sorry to hear about your problems with your player.
Fortunately ours is working very well. How are you connecting it?
We found that when you put it on the wire it works flawlessly with our cable connection.
Before you get rid of it I highly encourage to test it on the wire (Ethernet - LAN) if you haven't already done so.
If you have done this and it's still problematic, I would regressive test your network connectivity.
post #4066 of 4076 Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxAno View Post
However, we're not sure this document is relevant to the S390. It was linked concerning the S3200 which appears to have an entirely different UI.
Not sure why Sony isn't clear on which models this is relevant to. Don't the UI's vary depending upon which model?

Can anyone confirm the relevance of this to the S390? If it is relevant, we are getting no HD at all in spite of appearing as though we are.
If it isn't relevant, can anyone confirm how to verify HD playback while streaming Amazon in the S390?

It's only relevant if that's the UI on the S390. That's become Amazon common UI. (It's on my TiVo Roamio, PS3, Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and this smart TV's app; the player on Xbox One and Xbox 360 look like it but has some differences, like the way that you get that information and how it's presented. One thing that it's strangely not on is Amazon's Fire TV ).

If I recall correctly the only thing that you can check on the old S390 Amazon player is the speed of a ping of some Sony site, but not the resolution of the video. My BDT220 was surprisingly updated to a version of that UI (really surprising since it happened nearly two years after the product launched); it's from the same year as the S390 so I'm surprised it hasn't been updated to that version as well.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4067 of 4076 Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM

Cool

michaeltscott -- Thanks for the informative response!

Does the UI have to do with FW? The fw is the latest listed on their site.
UI is totally different than the one they show in the support document.

I remember first noting this when we were repairing an hdtv.
The people were using their built in app on the tv. The logistics of the app was different as well.

With ours it first does an initial speed check and then another for the actual movie. Fairly long process.
Their process was much quicker to view the movie.
It really appears to be streaming in HD, because it is so much clearer than analog stuff we have.
Too bad there is no way to confirm. Which brings me to ask mdavej how he knows if he was streaming hd or not?
I've a good ear for audio but video not so much. After 720 I can barely see a difference.

We're thinking of updating to the 3200 but saw all the reviews from people claiming no hd in amazon.
Don't need or want 3d. Perhaps most are having problems with wireless etc. We're always 'on the wire'.

Thanks again for the response!
post #4068 of 4076 Old 11-23-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How did I know? I vaguely remember the bars or some dot or letter was supposed to turn blue (or was it green?) when streaming HD. It never did on my 390 but did on other players of that vintage. It's been about 3 years, so I forget the exact details. But I do remember it didn't work, and it was also obviously only 720 to my eyes at least (easier to tell on a really big screen). My internet at that time was also plenty fast.

I don't have a 200 series to test at the moment. I mainly use a Roku for all streaming now. It has no problems.
post #4069 of 4076 Old 11-24-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxAno View Post
Does the UI have to do with FW?

In this case, yes it does. Netflix and YouTube have developed embedded players using web technology which allow them to make fairly major modifications to their UIs without involving OEM firmware updates, but I don't believe the Amazon has. And even if they have I think that a transition from the original Amazon app on the S390 to the new one would require a new "engine" and a firmware update to get it.

post #4070 of 4076 Old 12-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's been a little while since I've posted on here about the BDP-S590, prob 18 months now. I've searched this thread but haven't found my answer yet. Has anyone been able to...is it possible to output 24p/Hz/fps from a digital file either USB, DLNA, etc to the TV. Or is it still ONLY available when playing from a properly authored DVD or BD?

Also...been playing for months now and still have issues with mkv and using its full potential. Meaning, all hd audio, video, subtitles and chapters. It plays from the beginning nice sometimes, but when trying to fast forward it kicks it out. Looks like Sony will never let MKV "replace" a BD...I get it, being Sony's proprietary property but its annoying. Anyone find "the optimal" player yet? One that will literally let you rip a BD to an MKV and play it properly? Example...Avatar BD will play TrueHD, with the forced subtitles playing at the right time with chapter jumpability form an MKV?

I still have to convert/mux to .m2ts to be able to play ALL HD AUDIO/HD VIDEO. No chapters and have to "burn" in subtitles when necessary but does work great with full fast forwarding and fast rewinding functionality. Just it plays in 60p, not 24p.

Last edited by bmcelvan; 12-16-2014 at 08:14 AM.
post #4071 of 4076 Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
My experiments playing ripped DVD's from my NAS with the S390 failed. I don't remember the details, I posted here around 6-8 months ago, I'm guessing. I'm thinking to play ripped DVD's with my projector I'm probably going to need to feed it from an HTPC, keep the Sony BD player out of the equation. I expected more from DLNA, it hasn't been any use to me yet.
post #4072 of 4076 Old 12-16-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcelvan View Post
It's been a little while since I've posted on here about the BDP-S590, prob 18 months now. I've searched this thread but haven't found my answer yet. Has anyone been able to...is it possible to output 24p/Hz/fps from a digital file either USB, DLNA, etc to the TV. Or is it still ONLY available when playing from a properly authored DVD or BD?
That's still a no. Even current Sonys won't do it.

There's a thread around here somewhere with a list of devices that do 24p streaming. I remember Oppo and Panasonic. Not sure what to tell you about MKV. I just use an HTPC for that.

Last edited by mdavej; 12-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.
post #4073 of 4076 Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My Panasonic DMP-BDT220 will play anything as 24p. You have to enable it globally and that's all you have to do for 24p BD playback. DVDs and anything else require that you further enable it in a submenu every time (only once per session with an Internet VOD app like Netflix or VUDU; you can play multiple titles before exiting the app without have to re-enable it).

A relatively inexpensive STB which will do it is WD TV Live. I'd stopped using it for streaming apps because I had faster devices, but I recently got a 120Hz native refresh television and became interested in feeding it 24p video as a 24Hz signal when possible which has given my TV Live new life. I typically just load clips to a flash drive instead of futzing around with DLNA.

post #4074 of 4076 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
BDP-S590 firmware update

My BDP-S590 got a firmware update last night. It's now at version M12.R.0510 (no idea what changed).
post #4075 of 4076 Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 614
my s590 is asking me to update as of last night as well. I'm not touching it since everything works perfectly at the moment, unless they detail what changed. I suspect its the usual suspects (youtube, vudu, etc)
post #4076 of 4076 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Liked: 14
From Sony's support website:

File Description UPDATE Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update
Release Date 12/18/2014
Version M12.R.0510 File Size 98.73 MB This utility updates the Blu-ray™ Disc player firmware to version M12.R.0510 and provides the following benefits: Improvements over firmware version M12.R.0497:
  • Resolves SSL security issue
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M12.R.0510:
  • Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity
  • Improves BD-ROM playability
  • Adds support for the Sony® Entertainment Network portal
  • Adds support for the "Recommendations" feature
    Notes:
    • The "Recommendations" feature automatically analyzes your interests by referencing your viewing history to find programs and items you may like, and presents them in the xross media bar™ menu.
    • This feature may not be available depending on your region and broadcasting conditions.
Note: This update includes Cinavia™ content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at the Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center at: http://www.cinavia.com.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS590

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com