Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 137 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #4081 of 4104 Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarinac View Post
I have some .mp4 files that play just fine on my PC. I transfer them to a USB stick and they are identified correctly (.mp4) and play just fine on the 790 from the USB stick.

I have a gigabit wired home Windows network with a 4TB WD MyCloud NAS on it that I have been using solely as a backup device. When I transfer these same videos to the WD, the 790 sees the WD device and all of its folders just fine. However, it won't play the videos with a "The file is corrupt or unsupported" message. Also, the video files are now identified as "MPEG" instead of "MP4" (using USB).

In the manual for my S390 there is a section labelled "Playable File Types" (or something like that). There are numerous footnotes with conditions and limitations. Some file formats will play from a USB storage device that won't play over DLNA and no doubt vice-versa.

File playing is a convenience feature of BDPs; none of them is too terribly good at it or particularly versatile.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4104 Old 01-06-2015, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
Depending on the audio/video encoding, the system may play it via USB but not via DLNA. It's purposely designed this way (pg. 44 of manual - note #2 ), probably for DRM.
Aha - note #2 - yep - bet that's it.

Thank you very much for that response - I appreciate it.

Guess I'll just have to settle for USB

The player that it's replacing wouldn't play certain CDs - it's always something ...

Thanks again.
post #4083 of 4104 Old 01-07-2015, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Aha - note #2 - yep - bet that's it.

Thank you very much for that response - I appreciate it.

Guess I'll just have to settle for USB

The player that it's replacing wouldn't play certain CDs - it's always something ...

Thanks again.

One trick, you could try just changing the file extensions from mp4. That has worked for me in the past on a few occasions... worth a try!

Dave
post #4084 of 4104 Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the S390 and a free trial of Amazon Prime for ~2 more weeks. Can I stream video via Amazon Prime through the Sony? Or is this only through my PC?
post #4085 of 4104 Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yes, you can stream Prime via the bdp. There is an activation process to do on Amazon.com for the player. But you'll see the section for Prime content when you go into the app.
post #4086 of 4104 Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello -

I recently bought a Sony BDP-S790 (I think I'm in the right thread). I really like it except I think I have the same problem that has already been discussed in this thread with no apparent resolution - but, I'll ask just in case I missed something.

I have some .mp4 files that play just fine on my PC. I transfer them to a USB stick and they are identified correctly (.mp4) and play just fine on the 790 from the USB stick.

I have a gigabit wired home Windows network with a 4TB WD MyCloud NAS on it that I have been using solely as a backup device. When I transfer these same videos to the WD, the 790 sees the WD device and all of its folders just fine. However, it won't play the videos with a "The file is corrupt or unsupported" message. Also, the video files are now identified as "MPEG" instead of "MP4" (using USB).

From reading this thread, and not knowing a whole lot about this subject, I get the impression that one of these devices is not doing DLNA correctly?

Both devices are upgraded to the latest firmware.

Any help or update would be appreciated.

TIA
Basically these Sony players are a pain in the ass when it comes to playing the highest quality codecs with mkv and mp4. That is why I bought the new WDTV - which is great by the way...plays EVERYTHING you can throw at it.

With that said...if you use the file format .m2ts the Sony should play everything, well the HQ codecs that is...I've tried MPEG2, VC-1, H.264 with any combination of audio codecs, AC3, TrueHD, DTS, DTSHDMA. I can't say for sure about FLAC and AAC but pretty sure those work too. I bought the WDTV because I want to use mkv files, keep the chapter and subtitle support, and have the ability to watch in 1080p/24. With that said, the .m2ts playback is wonderful except you need to hard code the subtitles if there are any...or go without. I've gotten mkv files to work with chapters and subtitles but if you try to fast forward/rewind...it just kicks you out back to them menu...like I said pain in the ass! .m2ts Plays great, fast forward/rewind, etc.
Oh, almost forgot, if you are not using highest end audio codecs, just plain AC3, or DTS, then convert your files to mkv and they should work well once you can find/play them.

Are you using a media server...I'm trying to remember if the MyCloud is a media server or literally just a hard drive? If you are not using a media server, use one. It's easy and makes everything easier. You said you are using a wired gigabit network...that means you will have no problem streaming absolutely anything ever. Remux your files (tsmuxer) to .m2ts this will fix your problems. I highly recommend PS3 media server...just google it. Basically, turn it on, find your movies folders in windows, turn off all the encoders/transcoding options and it will literally just serve the file as is. You shouldn't have a problem with .m2ts but if you want to use mkv (and mp4) and you may have to alter the .conf file for Sony Bluray and force it to accept mkv and mp4.

Like I said before, I bought the WDTV to avoid all this bullspit becasue I got sick of making sure my files were just right, the WDTV just plays them all perfectly.

Lastly, in case you are looking (like I have been for almost 2 years now) the only "bluray" players that will play discs as well as be great media streamers are very high end ones, like Oppo and they run north of $499.99. I didn't have that much money, so I spent the $80 on the WDTV and $80 on the Sony Bluray player. Only acceptable solution I've found so far. Been looking for 16 months btw.

Cheers

Ben

PS - If you are interested in anything I was talking about, it's really not hard and I'd be happy to give you instructions on how to do it.

Last edited by bmcelvan; 01-08-2015 at 11:32 AM.
post #4087 of 4104 Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Ben -

Thank you very much for the informative post.

Yes, the WD MyCloud is a streaming media server NAS and apparently the Sony is rejecting certain content transferred to it. However, the Sony will play the exact same content from its USB port. If it becomes a big issue (which it probably won't), I'll just hang a USB hard drive off the Sony and be done with it as I no longer have the patience or the time to fool around with it. I would rather keep it simple as with all these implementations - it's always something.

You were probably thinking of the WD MyBook which is just a simple USB drive.

I appreciate the offer of help and probably will take you up on it sometime in the future.

Thanks again
post #4088 of 4104 Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post
Yes, you can stream Prime via the bdp. There is an activation process to do on Amazon.com for the player. But you'll see the section for Prime content when you go into the app.
What exactly is "the app?" I'm at Amazon's site now for "Amazon Instant Video" and it says: To start, enter the 5-character alphanumeric code that you found in the Amazon Instant Video application on your TV or device so we can register it with your Amazon account.

What's that code or where can I find it? Oh, I guess I'll see Amazon Instant Video when I turn on the bdp without putting a disk in it. I'll try that.
post #4089 of 4104 Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 46
In the on the bdp home screen click left or right until you reach the video column, click up and down on the remote until you find Amazon instant video, then click OK.
post #4090 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 AM

I was planning to build an HTPC with Win 7 but learned Netflix, Amazon, etc will only stream stereo output, and I'd like to take advantage of my 5.1 audio system. I've also learned the Netflix/Amazon apps in most players stream DD Plus, but my A/V does not support DD Plus (it's a Marantz SR7001).

Is the S590 or another Sony blue ray player model capable of converting the Dolby Digital Plus to straight Dolby Digital, or one of the surround formats my A/V receiver can handle?

I can probably sell my Marantz and buy a newer model used (like an SR7002) for less than $200 difference, so I have to consider the overall cost to me for another solution like a blue ray player which could get me going with a 5.1 result.

I appreciate your input!
Dave
post #4091 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 11:44 AM

I don't pretend to be an expert on this subject, but I get DD 5.1 from Netflix from my Sony BDP-S790 (optical output) to my Yamaha receiver just fine.

Since the S590 is in the same family as the S790, it would seem that the answer would/should be the same.

I don't know anything about DD Plus - although one would think that it should be a super-set of DD 5.1 and your receiver should be able to decode DD 5.1 from it.

PS My answer is pure speculation - although I know for sure I'm getting DD 5.1 from my S790 to my Yamha receiver on Netflix. Hope this helps.
post #4092 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 11:51 AM

This might help:

Is Dolby Digital Plus content backward-compatible?
Because Dolby Digital Plus is built on core Dolby Digital technologies, content
that is encoded with Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with the millions
of existing home theaters and playback systems worldwide equipped for
Dolby Digital playback. Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks are easily converted to a 640 kbps Dolby Digital signal without decoding and reencoding, for
output via S/PDIF. The 640 kbps bit rate, which is higher than the standard
448 kbps used on DVDs, is fully compatible with all existing Dolby Digital
decoding products such as A/V receivers, and can provide higher-than-DVD
quality from Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks when played back through
existing systems.

post #4093 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 11:51 AM

I now have 5 posts so I can post the link:

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...l-plus-faq.pdf
post #4094 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 12:31 PM

Unfortunately, DD Plus requires higher audio bandwidth than standard DD, and therefore requires HDMI 1.3 to work. One of the limiting factors in my Marantz is it only has HDMI version 1.2, so no DD Plus signal can even be sent to the Marantz. I've read devices like the Chromcast detect a 1.2 compliant connection and only send stereo. I'm guessing other boxes like Roku or FireTV do the same from the little I've read about them.

So, I need something to convert the DD Plus upstream from my Marantz. I am considering just finding a good blue ray (prefer Sony) if that is an inexpensive option. I'm guessing some more expensive OPPO units can do this if I searched long enough... But I read that the Sony Blue Ray players from a few years ago had more audio standards licensed and was hoping that meant they could do the conversion internally and stream in a compatible format.

I have a Sony S590 but I've loaned it out to a relative ... I unfortunately never noticed if it gave me 2 channel or 5.1 output when I had it. Plus, I need to solve this for two similar A/V systems, and if the S590 does indeed provide the conversion then I need to pick up either another or one that can do the same.

Thanks
Dave
post #4095 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 01:11 PM

My equipment is somewhat antiquated relative to this discussion. Your requirements are far in excess of what I require. I'm perfectly happy with the DD 5.1 that I currently have. Not knowing a whole lot about it, I think if DD Plus were a requirement for me, I'd have to make a serious upgrade to my receiver to handle the (almost an order of magnitude) higher required bandwidth. Such an upgrade to my system is in the cards, but only after some higher priority home remodeling projects are completed. Staying current with these technologies can be a very expensive proposition with some yielding barely perceptible advantages.

Your original post was asking if Netflix was encoding DD 5.1 into the stream and I believe it is (for some content). Here's a relevant article: http://www.trustedreviews.com/netfli...quality-page-2

As far as DD Plus is concerned, I know almost nothing about it except what we've just discussed and I've just read. Maybe whenever I'm ready for a makeover, it will become more important to me.

Also, I can find no reference to DD Plus in the manual:

https://docs.sony.com/release/BDPS790.pdf

Good luck on your DD Plus project and I'm sure someone on these forums can be of much more help to you!
post #4096 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the links!

I've looked at Netflix's website https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14163 for the details. The Dolby Digital Plus seems to be consistent across many apps like Amazon as well from what I've read over the past few days.

I can always use Dolby surround sound to use its magic on a 2 channel signal but it isn't the same as getting the discrete 5.1/7.1 signals.

This information seems to be hard to find - perhaps I'm late to the game and topics like this are buried hundreds of pages deep into threads

I wish there was a definitive FAQ that explained it all in terms I can easily understand
post #4097 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 02:49 PM

Truly discreet 5.1/7.1 + HD (and beyond) seems like a heck of a bandwidth load and corresponding expense. But, that Netflix link you sent seems to imply that there is DD Plus capability.

Dunno - this subject is currently beyond my knowledge of the technology so I'll defer to the gurus on this board. We haven't heard from any of them, yet ...
post #4098 of 4104 Old 01-10-2015, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by menagh View Post
Unfortunately, DD Plus requires higher audio bandwidth than standard DD, and therefore requires HDMI 1.3 to work.

More correctly DD Plus has a higher maximum bit rate than basic DD or the maximum supported by S/PDIF, coax or optical. The reason why it needs HDMI 1.3 is that earlier versions of HDMI did not have a way to identify an audio stream as being DD+.

The use of DD+ (E-AC-3) in streaming video is because it's a more efficient encoding than basic DD (AC-3). Netflix started out using 384 Kbps DD+ which was theoretically higher quality than the 480 Kbps mix commonly found on DVDs. Since then Dolby announced newer encoding software with supposedly double that efficiency, at which time Netflix changed to 192 Kbps DD+.

Any BD player has to be licensed to deal with all varieties of Dolby audio and all the ones I've owned for years have been capable of converting DD+ to basic DD (and outputting that over S/PDIF if desired), including BDP-S390. I forget what you have to set to get it to do that since my AVR can decode the DD+ bitstream.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4099 of 4104 Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for your help in clarifying! It's been a frustrating ordeal to research options.

I was able to give the S590 a try and confirmed it sent Dolby Digital to my Marantz instead of the DD Plus or converting it into 2 channel stereo. So unlike the Chromecast plugged directly into the Marantz via an HDMI input, which simply gives stereo due to the incompatible technologies, the S590 does exactly what I need!

I did post a question on Amazon's Q & A for the latest model Sony Blue Ray and Sony support confirmed the model did not perform internal conversion of the DD+ to DD, so I think the best option for another system I'm helping set up with the same Marantz SR7001 is to find another Sony from this same generation.

Thanks again - hopefully this can help someone else!

Dave
post #4100 of 4104 Old 01-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Great! That is consistent with my results - except you went a step further and confirmed it over HDMI.

You might want to see if you can land a 790, has some nice extra features and the 4K up-scaling is nice! From what I can tell, you should be able to land an open box or refurb on eBay for less than $200. I got mine open box/new for $200 - I think you'll end up paying around the same for a new 590.
post #4101 of 4104 Unread Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got a plain jane Amazon basics USB 2.0 four port hub and my S590 player says it's an "unrecognized device". Any idea why? The el cheapo Targus four port hub I used before worked fine until the ports started causing glitching in the video after working great for years. Probably just got dirty/worn out.
post #4102 of 4104 Unread Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettck View Post
I just got a plain jane Amazon basics USB 2.0 four port hub and my S590 player says it's an "unrecognized device". Any idea why? The el cheapo Targus four port hub I used before worked fine until the ports started causing glitching in the video after working great for years. Probably just got dirty/worn out.
USB hubs of any kind are officially unsupported

The power available on the player's USB port is quite limited, so it could be that you need to use a self-powered hub with its wall-wart power supply plugged into wall power.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #4103 of 4104 Unread Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
USB hubs of any kind are officially unsupported

The power available on the player's USB port is quite limited, so it could be that you need to use a self-powered hub with its wall-wart power supply plugged into wall power.
Right -

I ran into several situations where certain USB hubs would work and others wouldn't on PC USB ports. I found it to be somewhat trial and error. I don't think the hub circuitry is the same for all hubs and that may be the reason why some are recognized/supported and some aren't. Forgive my quote from Wikipedia - " Most USB hubs use one or more integrated controller ICs, of which several designs are available from various manufacturers." Between the USB circuitry and firmware in your 590, the power considerations, the circuitry in the hub, and the circuitry in your external device(s), there's plenty of opportunity for incompatibility.

The lack of an external power source may or may not be the problem. Try different types and buy them at a place where you can easily return them. Actually, Amazon's return policy is quite liberal and painless.

I have had instances of USB ports no longer working after using (non-powered - passive) devices that I think drained too much power from the ports - can't prove it - but that's my suspicion. I hope this is not the case with your player - does it still work fine with a USB stick and no hub?

5V/500ma seems to be the accepted standard max drain, but the circuits in a hub plus the attached peripheral(s) could exceed that. Here's a pretty good (but dated) article with lots of good information on this topic.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/existin...f-peripherals/

Last edited by jmarinac; Yesterday at 01:13 PM.
post #4104 of 4104 Unread Today, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have Sony BDP-S 490 and since I've changed to iMac and installed mkvtoolnix 7.5.0 I have a problem with rewind, fast forward and chapters in mkv files (movie stops or freezes). On my old PC I used mkvtoolnix 5.8.0 and all mkv files played ok, but can't find that version on iMac unfortunatelly. Any one can help with solution of the problem please?
I need mkvtoolnix to remux mkv movies adding or removing audio or subs.
Another thing is my Sony BD player freezes when played mkv movies with dts hd master sound from hdd. Blu-ray disc are working fine with that sound.
Thanks guys for any thoughts.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page