AVS Forum banner
625K views 4K replies 602 participants last post by  TimA 
#1 ·

Do you have a issue with HD audio from these players? DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD not showing up on your receiver?

See the following posts within this thread.

See posts #193, #203, #204, #499, and #740.

590 features over 390.

1. 3D support

2. Additional rear USB port

3. Optical audio output

4. Front display

5. Standard width

Comparison (courtesy of Amazon):

DLNA and USB update with the S590/S390/S790

NTFS formatted USB drive fully supported.

Sony will play the following formats NATIVELY over DLNA.

Video:

Container: MKV. Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: M2TS Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, VC-1, Mpeg2. Audio Codec: DTS/Dolby Digital/DTS-MA

Container: VOB Video codec:Mpeg 2. Audio codec: LPCM, Dolby Digital

Container: m4v mp4 Video Codec: AVC Mpeg4/H264, XVID. Audio Codec: AAC

Audio:

Mp3, AAC

Tested with

Mac:

Playback DLNA server (Yazsoft)

Serviio and  Homestream

PLAYBACK DLNA from Yazsoft

For the best iLife integration with iTunes and iPhoto, Playback DLNA server is superb !!

Get Playback Here > http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

Serviio/Homestream work with Windows, Mac and Linux

Sony has its own re-branded version of Serviio called HomeStream. You can download it here .

Use the BRAVIA profile. Don't use the default BD player profile, as Sony made some changes during a recent firmware update !

Serviio users, use the "Bravia 2012 - US" profile for best compatibility and minimum transcoding or remuxing. You can decide if you enable transcoding or not on the server. See files supported above.

Basically, if you have a bunch of MKVs using the VC-1 or Mpeg2 codecs and don't want to remux with TSMuxer, then you will need to enable transcoding on Serviio or Homestream to playback the files.

A note about MKVs. You may find FF/REW will not work very well with the player. M2TS containers work fine, but then dont support chapter markers ... so there are trade-offs.

Support Info

Sony has added the S590 (and S390) to their USA support pages. Available here .

Useful Settings

During playback of BD or DVD

Picture Quality : Normal (standard mode. Avoid using the others)

BNR: Off

MNR: Off

During Internet video playback

IP Content Noise Reduction: Off

Screen Settings:

All defaults other than:

Screen Format: Actually toggle this one back and forth between Full and Normal depending on if I want 4:3 content to be stretched across 16:9. This setting only effects DVD. Streaming content is not effected (with latest firmware).

** Ensure you download the latest firmware that addresses an issue with YCbCr 4:2:2, 4:4:4 and RGB colorspaces **

The firmware may also introduce a problem playing back some files with DLNA. If you are using Serviio or HomeShare, refer to the following post with a fix:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/1560#post_22244982

Audio settings:

DSD Output mode: DSD (note, you can only do this if you're receiver can decode DSD directly

BD Audio Mix: Off (Allows for high-resolution audio bitstream from player)

Audio DRC: Off (Hate compression generally)

Downmix: Surround (if you're receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic / II or DTS Neo, etc)

A note about 24p

There are now two settings for 24p output.

By default they are

BD-ROM 24p output: On

DVD-ROM 24p output: Off

and I left them like that. Many DVDs are not 24p compatible, and with DVD generally a last resort, can't be bothered to keep toggling this one.

SEN Portal:

Read this post within the thread: here

See less See more
#3,427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3420#post_23245266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3420#post_23245151

I've been going through the same delayed shipment/approval thing for a couple weeks now as well with Amazon. I got fed up today and got on a chat with them, they said that it will be shipping "for sure" on 4/29....we shall see.

I'll believe it when I see it.
I almost cancelled my order and ordered a new model but I really want the 590...unless that is someone can convince me that the new models are better.

Personally, I would order the new model (5100) if I were you, namely to help ensure a longer life in terms of software support from Sony. Also, Amazon may never be able to get you the 590, since the model has been discontinued.

The new players have been reported to load discs more quickly and the YouTube channel supports HD as well as a few other enhancements (see 5100 thread for details).

The disadvantage of the new players is that there are no analog outputs or optical digital outputs, but that shouldn't be a concern unless you have a TV without HDMI or a receiver without either HDMI or coaxial spdif.

#3,428 ·
^^^^

I agree with you, but I was just trying to save myself the $40.
Also, I do most of my streaming with my PS3 so the new features weren't all that important to me. Might just have to go for it though if Amazon doesn't come through.

My situation is a bit different - I actually received an S590, but the HDMI port didn't work. The one I've been waiting on is supposed to be a replacement.

#3,433 ·
Hi everybody. My first post. I started a thread on this subject but I realized that this thread may be a better place. I managed to get three Sony BDP-S590 units at below $90 (two for my personal use and one for my daughter). One question, besides actually removing disc from platter, is there a way to stop platter from rotating? The stop button actually works as another pause button, namely, when pressed sound stops but platter keeps rotating and when play button is pressed unit goes back to the last place on disc. Besides concerns about mechanical wear, the whirling platter noise is sort of annoying when listening to music and switching from CD or SACD to another type of music media.

soundbites

#3,434 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounbites  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3420#post_23254267

One question, besides actually removing disc from platter, is there a way to stop platter from rotating?

It is an odd and somewhat obnoxious design but it never seems to stop spinning the disc in the drive when the unit is powered on. The only solution seems to be to remove the disc. If you set the Gracenote lookup to be manual it helps a little bit since it doesn't periodically spin the disc up to a higher speed for the lookup.

#3,437 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_dew  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3420#post_23255861

Picked up a BX510 at Costco for $119 and cancelled the Amazon order for the 590.

What's the difference between the BX510 and the S5100? They look exactly the same......

#3,439 ·
HI Everyone,

This is my first post. Sorry If I have an old question, I tried to look around but I could not really find an answer.

I just recently got the S390, and I have been trying to use the Homestream. After I installed it, it won't find the blu-ray player eventhough it says the server is running and my blu-ray is connected to the wifi. Can anyone help me on this?

Thank you so much

#3,441 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3420#post_23259260

BX510 is only sold at discount club like Costco and comes with a HDMI cable.

I've seen the BX-58 and BX-59 at a Sony Outlet store, but they're refurb and were about the same price or $10 more that the new ones from Costco or BJs.

It's neither here nor there, just an option for those who don't have a Costco or BJs' membership.

#3,442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocq  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3420#post_23258509

HI Everyone,

This is my first post. Sorry If I have an old question, I tried to look around but I could not really find an answer.

I just recently got the S390, and I have been trying to use the Homestream. After I installed it, it won't find the blu-ray player eventhough it says the server is running and my blu-ray is connected to the wifi. Can anyone help me on this?

Thank you so much

Turn off any firewalls on windows and go from there.

#3,443 ·
I bought this be player a few days ago. I am aware it upscaled regular DVD and its great. However, I would like to use my Pioneer 1131K receivers upscaler to upscale DVD and BD.

What do I have to do in the settings to disable my BD players upscaler and let me receiver do the video upascaling?

#3,444 ·
I don't think I was clear, sorry.

I have the Sony BDP S-590 bluray player. Again, I would like my receiver (Pioneer 1121K) to do the upscaling for DVD and BD. I would like to disable the BDP S-590's and let me receiver do all the upscaling.

What setting do I have to change for the BDP S-590 in order for it to let my receiver do the upscaling for DVD and BD that I watch?

Thanks!

#3,446 ·
Thanks Apw, so its not 480i? The reason why I ask again is because 3 other members said to put it to 480i then the bluray player will be disabled and the receiver will do the upscing.

Just kind of confused. I guess for this particular blueray player I should put it to "original" output.

#3,447 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323  /t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/3420#post_23280296

Thanks Apw, so its not 480i? The reason why I ask again is because 3 other members said to put it to 480i then the bluray player will be disabled and the receiver will do the upscing.

Just kind of confused. I guess for this particular blueray player I should put it to "original" output.

I would test your DVD's at 480i and original. When I did this I found the 590 and 790 both did a better job of upscaling DVD's than my Pioneer VSX-1021.

#3,451 ·
I never play DVDs, but I loaned my S390 to my new housemate to use on the living room TV and I was impressed by the upconversion of the new release DVDs they had from Redbox. It was on a relatively small (40") panel but I'm not sure that BDs would have been much sharper (probably not at the distance they were viewing from, 10' or more away).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.