Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 139 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4141 of 4148 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by surreyjack604 View Post
I have a bdp-bx59 bluray player. I bought a seagate 1.5tb external hard drive but it says the usb device is not recognized when I connect it to the bluray player. I have tried many things like reformatting it to fat32 and nothing works. Does anyone know of a external hard drive that will work with my blu ray player for watching movies?

thanks for your help.

Try formatting using NTFS and default sizes. I have a 120GB Seagate that I've used on this player with no problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4148 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 604
A big drive is probably going to need external power as well. The USB ports on these players don't have a whole lot of juice.
post #4143 of 4148 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 1235
Is it possible that it's the DRM code associated with this stuff? For instance, I know that if you want to hook an external drive to a Verizon DVR, it will only work if it's formatted by the DVR itself (which then performs it's own low-level encryption on it). The symmetric keys involved in the encryption is kept by the DVR and out of your hands entirely, rendering the data on the drive completely useless when disconnected.

In this way, the data of the movie itself is kept safe and you wouldn't be able to duplicate it. It was a cloak-and-dagger requirement of the MPAA I think. Perhaps something like that is going on here?

Using Artificial Life algorithms, I created a bunch of creatures and let them evolve on my system. Over the years they gained intelligence, a society, and quite a few interesting abilities. However, using the rules from their world, they concluded that I did not exist. So I created a special creature meant to spread the Word about Me with amazing magical abilities that only He had. Went well, until they decided to nail the poor Guy to a tree.
post #4144 of 4148 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Is it possible that it's the DRM code associated with this stuff? For instance, I know that if you want to hook an external drive to a Verizon DVR, it will only work if it's formatted by the DVR itself (which then performs it's own low-level encryption on it). The symmetric keys involved in the encryption is kept by the DVR and out of your hands entirely, rendering the data on the drive completely useless when disconnected.

In this way, the data of the movie itself is kept safe and you wouldn't be able to duplicate it. It was a cloak-and-dagger requirement of the MPAA I think. Perhaps something like that is going on here?
No, the DVR thing ties that HD to your DVR, if you have to have your DVR replaced, you won't be able to see the file list or watch the shows on the new box. This is the DRM scheme to prevent someone from recording shows, say on HBO, and bringing it to a friends house to play.

Whether the Blu-Ray player will play the file is one thing. However, you should still be able to see files with the supported extension.
As mdavej said, make sure it's externally powered.

post #4145 of 4148 Old Today, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
No, the DVR thing ties that HD to your DVR, if you have to have your DVR replaced, you won't be able to see the file list or watch the shows on the new box.
I'm sorry, but you started with "No,".......are you disagreeing? You're rephrasing what I said.

Quote:
This is the DRM scheme to prevent someone from recording shows, say on HBO, and bringing it to a friends house to play.
They're not worried about you unplugging a hard-drive and shlepping it to a friends house at all. They're worried about you lifting the data and putting it up on thepiratebay or some other send-around vehicle, or otherwise burning a disc with it.

Quote:
Whether the Blu-Ray player will play the file is one thing. However, you should still be able to see files with the supported extension.
Well this is my question: It won't work if it's employing the same protection as the DVR purportedly does: you won't see anything in the filesystem at all. No filename, no directory structure, even the sectors themselves are opaque. The encryption occurs at the driver level where the most bottom level access to the drive happens.

Using Artificial Life algorithms, I created a bunch of creatures and let them evolve on my system. Over the years they gained intelligence, a society, and quite a few interesting abilities. However, using the rules from their world, they concluded that I did not exist. So I created a special creature meant to spread the Word about Me with amazing magical abilities that only He had. Went well, until they decided to nail the poor Guy to a tree.
post #4146 of 4148 Old Today, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sounded to me like the OP simply bought a new drive for the purpose of hosting unprotected files he already had, not some external drive from a DVR full of protected content. I suspect formatting or power is the most likely culprit in this case.

A workaround would be to simply plug the drive in elsewhere and use a DLNA server. There is no easy workaround for DRM.
post #4147 of 4148 Old Today, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it sounded to me like the OP simply bought a new drive for the purpose of hosting unprotected files he already had, not some external drive from a DVR full of protected content.
I understand that. But a cable company DVR won't even allow you to do that. The moment you plug any drive into one of those, you are given only one option: reformat immediately (BY the DVR in encrypted format so that the only holder of the key is the DVR) or don't use it at all.

And I understand that he's talking about a BDP; my concern was whether or not the BDP was following the same cloak and dagger nonsense that the DVRs do.

post #4148 of 4148 Unread Today, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I understand that. But a cable company DVR won't even allow you to do that. The moment you plug any drive into one of those, you are given only one option: reformat immediately (BY the DVR in encrypted format so that the only holder of the key is the DVR) or don't use it at all.

And I understand that he's talking about a BDP; my concern was whether or not the BDP was following the same cloak and dagger nonsense that the DVRs do.
Ahh, I understand now. No, the BDP doesn't care what you plug into it, and there is no encryption. The BD Live drive is a different story.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com