Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #4201 of 4212 Old 07-19-2016, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Did you try a differen hdmi cabel? Could be the cable or just a firty port I had this issue a few years ago and actually just removed and repluged the cabel a few times fixed the issue
Yes, I have tried 4 different HDMI cables (all of them working with other devices) and none of them worked with this player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4212 Old 07-19-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnoob84 View Post
Yes, I have tried 4 different HDMI cables (all of them working with other devices) and none of them worked with this player.
Length of hdmi wire could be a factor or coroded or dirty imput could be a factor. Years ago when i switched a bd player i had to use a signal amp It was a 30 ft run from bd to projector.
post #4203 of 4212 Old 07-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Did you try a differen hdmi cabel? Could be the cable or just a firty port I had this issue a few years ago and actually just removed and repluged the cabel a few times fixed the issue
Quote:
Length of hdmi wire could be a factor or coroded or dirty imput could be a factor. Years ago when i switched a bd player i had to use a signal amp It was a 30 ft run from bd to projector.
I am absolutely sure it's not the cable causing the issue. I have used two brand new HDMI cables (6 feet long) and used other 2 used cables (working with other devices). Neither Blu-Ray Player HDMI Output port has a dust nor TV/Projector HDMI input port has any dust in it.

I think issue is somewhere else or I suspect HDMI port on Blu-Ray Player has died now.

post #4204 of 4212 Old 07-23-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Largest USB flash drive for BDP-S590?

I have a Lexar USB 3.0 128GB flash drive that my S590 just can't seem to use correctly. Rarely, it might work but, usually, it's not even recognized. I currently use USB 3.0 64GB flash drives and they're fine. Is 128GB just too large for the S590 to access? Thanks!
post #4205 of 4212 Old 07-27-2016, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
my 590 keeps puking when I use Youtube. Much buffering and messages that file is too large, and then often it locks up and only by unplugging/plugging it back in does it work again. Guess time for a modern streamer

LG 42LB5600, Sony BDP-S590, Pioneer VSX-1019 AH-K, JBL LX22, Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, Polk DSWPro400, Polk OWM3, Logitech Squeezbox Classic, Squeezebox Radio
post #4206 of 4212 Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Many "network error" messages when trying to use Pandora

Hi All,
I get frequent "network error" messages when trying to access & use Pandora, not so w/amazon video, that works fine and those are the only 2 services I use the player to access. Any idea what could be causing this? I've had the player for a few years and it wasn't always like this. I did get a new modem from Cablevision, could it be causing some of this? Any thoughts on a fix? Thanks in advance for any info!

Dan G in CT
post #4207 of 4212 Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question about the Sony BDP-390:

It's been my go-to player since I got it but I have a problem with its handling of Blu ray disks. When I REW (and I think pause/play button too), info comes up on the screen. It's a side to side block of info and has some height. It blocks out 90% of any subtitles being displayed. Usually I REW a little so I can have another look at subtitles. So, that block of info is in the way. Wouldn't matter so much if it disappeared quickly, but it certainly doesn't. It sticks there, seems like 10 seconds. It's terrible, actually, and has me thinking I should use my other Blu ray player (when playing Blu ray disks), an Insignia (Best Buy's brand, IIRC). That player just puts a little icon on the top right of the screen that doesn't interfere with anything and disappears in maybe 3 seconds. I only bought the Insignia so that I had a way to play Region 2 disks. There is a way to configure it to do so and I have a handful of Region 2 Blu rays, but now I think I may dust it off and use it for all Blu rays.

So, my question is: Is there a way to work around this problem with the Sony when playing Blu ray disks?
Using alternate players is something of a hassle because I have to toggle a couple of switches to go from one player to the other (video and audio).

Last edited by Muse; 05-09-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #4208 of 4212 Old 05-09-2017, 05:41 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Question about the Sony BDP-390:

It's been my go-to player since I got it but I have a problem with its handling of Blu ray disks. When I REW (and I think pause/play button too), info comes up on the screen. It's a side to side block of info and has some height. It blocks out 90% of any subtitles being displayed. Usually I REW a little so I can have another look at subtitles. So, that block of info is in the way. Wouldn't matter so much if it disappeared quickly, but it certainly doesn't. It sticks there, seems like 10 seconds. It's terrible, actually, and has me thinking I should use my other Blu ray player (when playing Blu ray disks), an Insignia (Best Buy's brand, IIRC). That player just puts a little icon on the top right of the screen that doesn't interfere with anything and disappears in maybe 3 seconds. I only bought the Insignia so that I had a way to play Region 2 disks. There is a way to configure it to do so and I have a handful of Region 2 Blu rays, but now I think I may dust it off and use it for all Blu rays.

So, my question is: Is there a way to work around this problem with the Sony when playing Blu ray disks?
Using alternate players is something of a hassle because I have to toggle a couple of switches to go from one player to the other (video and audio).
Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but you might try turning off Auto Display in the Setup/System Settings menu. That should eliminate alot of the player's "screen bugs". You can always hit the Display button on the remote to get the same info when needed, including the bitrate, audio track, and other info.

Many Blu-ray discs have their own timeline bars that will pop-up when FF/REW-ing though, which may also obscure subs.
Muse likes this.

ADU
post #4209 of 4212 Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
Hi All,
I get frequent "network error" messages when trying to access & use Pandora, not so w/amazon video, that works fine and those are the only 2 services I use the player to access. Any idea what could be causing this? I've had the player for a few years and it wasn't always like this. I did get a new modem from Cablevision, could it be causing some of this? Any thoughts on a fix? Thanks in advance for any info!
1) Is the software on the player up to date?

2) Have you tried rebooting your modem and/or router by unplugging the power cable(s) for about 30 secs?

ADU
post #4210 of 4212 Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but you might try turning off Auto Display in the Setup/System Settings menu. That should eliminate alot of the player's "screen bugs". You can always hit the Display button on the remote to get the same info when needed, including the bitrate, audio track, and other info.

Many Blu-ray discs have their own timeline bars that will pop-up when FF/REW-ing though, which may also obscure subs.
Couldn't find System Settings, but I think I found the setting:

Setup/Pause Mode

The default setting was Auto. I changed that to Frame (don't know what that means...), now I can see subtitles in pause and resuming Play from REW doesn't have the annoying block-out of a substantial portion of the screen at the bottom for ~10 seconds. I guess I can go back to using the Sony full time. the Insignia has a stupid system for subtitles. You hit the Subtitle button and they don't change. Instead you are put in a subtitle configuration routine that still eludes me. It's absurd, and worse than that, it's rather inscrutable.
post #4211 of 4212 Old 05-10-2017, 02:12 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Couldn't find System Settings, but I think I found the setting:

Setup/Pause Mode

The default setting was Auto. I changed that to Frame (don't know what that means...), now I can see subtitles in pause and resuming Play from REW doesn't have the annoying block-out of a substantial portion of the screen at the bottom for ~10 seconds. I guess I can go back to using the Sony full time. the Insignia has a stupid system for subtitles. You hit the Subtitle button and they don't change. Instead you are put in a subtitle configuration routine that still eludes me. It's absurd, and worse than that, it's rather inscrutable.
If you found another solution, I 'm glad.

The "Pause Mode" is in the Setup > Screen Settings menu btw. While the "Auto Display" options are located in the Setup > System Settings menu which is further down on the Setup list (below the Audio, BD/DVD Viewing, Parental, and Music Settings).

These are the two Auto Display options, as explained in the user manual...

Quote:
On: Automatically displays information on the screen when changing the viewing titles, picture modes, audio signals, etc.

Off: Displays information only when you press DISPLAY.
Unless you're anal about wanting to know exactly what you're watching at every moment of time, I recommend turning the Auto Display feature Off. And using the Display button on the remote to get that sort of info, only when you really need it.

I believe that the Pause Mode setting simply controls how interlaced/video-based content is displayed when you hit the Pause button on the remote. One setting (can't remember which) will use a simple line-doubling deinterlacing routine to display the image, which makes the picture look more "jagged". While the other will attempt to display a full resolution frame by combining two video "fields" together.

I believe this applies mainly to video-based discs, encoded in interlaced formats such as 480i or 1080i, and less so to "film-based" discs encoded progressively at 480p, 720p or 1080p. Most Blu-ray movies are encoded progressively at 1080p 24fps. SD-DVD movies can be encoded either way (480i or 480p).

This is probably more than you needed or wanted to know. There's more info on the above though in the following links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 05-10-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #4212 of 4212 Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
Hi All,
I'm in the same boat. I have two of these players and they've been great up until the last few months. No HBO support, no youtube app anymore?!

"Network error" 3-4 times when I try and use any service, HULU and Netflix. Sometimes I'll get thorough sometimes I won't. Happening to both players and I've had 2 new routers in that time and the problem still persists!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bdp , Blu Ray Players , connect , physical , router , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page