Official Sony BDP-S590 and BDP-390 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I just wanted to give more feedback concerning this player, I got my amazon replacement and it turns out that my remote problem was the first S590 player I got, I also noticed a red sticker on the box, a b-stock unit? Naughty amazon! That one is going straight back to them.

Anyhows, the second player works perfectly, after playing on Netflix for a couple days, I can confirm that it is simply amazing with wifi playback. Its UI and streams load faster than a Roku2 XS I bought recently via an amazon Gold Box deal, and the Roku2 is wired directly to a switch! I'm planning on flushing this Roku2 down the toilet(where it belongs) and picking up another S590, though this time I will be joining you guys by picking up a Target unit.

I'm convinced that the S390 and S590 are the best value combination for getting bluray and media streaming at an affordable price. I'm convinced that these units are a much better investment as far as streaming performance goes and have a longer lifespan than the craptastic 90 day only warranties of Rokus. I was thoroughly unimpressed by the Roku 2 XS's overall performance compared to the S590.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Three things that are bugging me:
1) Subtitle button makes you cycle through all the disc's subtitles before you can turn them off again. I often turn subs on briefly to catch one line, then turn them off. Has anyone found a way to do it this way?
2) CDs and SACDs don't autostart. This is a feature I miss from my previous Oppo 980. Sometimes the S590 doesn't read the disc at all, and I have to open and close the tray. But it seems I always have to press Play twice to get the disc to play.
3) Discs don't resume after powering off/on the player. This is another feature that I miss from the Oppo.

Doug
post #453 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

3) Discs don't resume after powering off/on the player. This is another feature that I miss from the Oppo.

Doug

My S590 does.
post #454 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Three things that are bugging me:
1) Subtitle button makes you cycle through all the disc's subtitles before you can turn them off again. I often turn subs on briefly to catch one line, then turn them off. Has anyone found a way to do it this way?
2) CDs and SACDs don't autostart. This is a feature I miss from my previous Oppo 980. Sometimes the S590 doesn't read the disc at all, and I have to open and close the tray. But it seems I always have to press Play twice to get the disc to play.

Doug

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't start as fast or read discs as fast as my previous Panny 110, but nothing I can't handle.

Jeff
post #455 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

My S590 does.

Yea, if the bds support resume then the 590 will auto resume. Some bds are sneaky though and still make you go through some trailers and promos. DVDs should resume just fine.

Subtitles could be achieved by going to the pop up menu during disk playback.

No issues with disks reading.
post #456 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

Anyhows, the second player works perfectly, after playing on Netflix for a couple days, I can confirm that it is simply amazing with wifi playback. Its UI and streams load faster than a Roku2 XS I bought recently via an amazon Gold Box deal, and the Roku2 is wired directly to a switch.

Really? We have greatly different experiences. I just timed it with a stopwatch and it takes 5 or 6 seconds to load the Netflix UI on my Roku 2 XS and 5-7 seconds to start any stream (with the latest firmware update, V4.3, B1057, released on 3/16, which sped things up considerably). On my S390, it takes 17 seconds to load the Netflix UI (if you don't count the "Authenticating, Downloading Updates, etc" thing that happens the first time you run any network service after powering it up) and no less than 13 seconds to start any stream, often more than 20 (it seems to take longer to start a TV series episode than a film). Both are wired.

I probably prefer the common Netflix designed interface on the S390 to the Roku's (identical to the one on the PS3 and 2012 Panasonic BD players, less responsive than the PS3, more responsive than the the Panasonics).

(BTW, apw2607, I'm starting to lean toward keeping the S390 again--the top-level Netflix interface isn't that much faster than the BDT220's, but navigation of episodes in a TV series entry is much faster--I just plugged it back in to test timing. I haven't had any problems with Netflix since turning off Quick Start and the problems I encountered with DLNA play can be ignored since I'll probably never use it. I do hate its Amazon player though, with a burning passion that will never grow cold with the passage of time . I still have to play around with its Android remote to see how much that improves things).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #457 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Really? We have greatly different experiences. I just timed it with a stopwatch and it takes 5 or 6 seconds to load the Netflix UI on my Roku 2 XS and 5-7 seconds to start any stream (with the latest firmware update, V4.3, B1057, released on 3/16, which sped things up considerably). On my S390, it takes 17 seconds to load the Netflix UI (if you don't count the "Authenticating, Downloading Updates, etc" thing that happens the first time you run any network service after powering it up) and no less than 13 seconds to start any stream, often more than 20 (it seems to take longer to start a TV series episode than a film).

I probably prefer the common Netflix designed interface on the S390 to the Roku's (identical to the one on the PS3 and 2012 Panasonic BD players, less responsive than the PS3, more responsive than the the Panasonics).

(BTW, apw2607, I'm starting to lean toward keeping the S390 again--the top-level Netflix interface isn't that much faster than the BDT220's, but navigation of episodes in a TV series entry is much faster--I just plugged it back in to test timing. I haven't had any problems with Netflix since turning off Quick Start and the problems I encountered with DLNA play can be ignored since I'll probably never use it. I do hate its Amazon player though, with a burning passion that will never grow cold with the passage of time . I still have to play around with its Android remote to see how much that improves things).

You should definite try the remote. At least with the iPhone version you can text search and use voice entry (Siri)
post #458 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't start as fast or read discs as fast as my previous Panny 110, but nothing I can't handle.

Jeff

It's slightly faster than my previous Samsung BD-UP5000.

Doug
post #459 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's slightly faster than my previous Samsung BD-UP5000.

Doug

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's slow, it just seems like it's a tad slower than the Panny 110. And ANYTHING was better than the Panny35!!! You could go on vacation and come back in time to start the movie! Has anyone tried the other apps besides Netflix. Was curious about the Concert Tv app.

Jeff
post #460 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jeff

Do you have the quick start option on?
post #461 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Do you have the quick start option on?

Yes it's on. Like I said, it's way faster than my first Panny the 35. Just a tad slower than the Panny 110.

Jeff
post #462 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

You should definite try the remote. At least with the iPhone version you can text search and use voice entry (Siri)

It does improve things somewhat. The keyboard can be used anyplace that horrible Sony T9 text entry keypad pops up and it has Google voice recognition; one of those places is the Amazon player search. It's sad that it can't be used everywhere, like in the search screens of Netflix and VUDU (it might actually disappear for Amazon, should it get a new UI).

The recent update to the Amazon player on the Roku 2 is amazing. It was already one of the best and they've outdone that now with a really beautiful UI. The top level UI loads from the Roku home display in 4 seconds flat and it starts stream playback in less than 10 (the S390 takes 40 and the BDT220 takes 30). Unlike the S390's Amazon player, you can do Prime-VOD-only searches.

post #463 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes it's on. Like I said, it's way faster than my first Panny the 35. Just a tad slower than the Panny 110.

Jeff

Not that I don't believe you, but my S590 is faster than the new Panny 320 I tried out for 3 weeks. Go figure.
post #464 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Really? We have greatly different experiences. I just timed it with a stopwatch and it takes 5 or 6 seconds to load the Netflix UI on my Roku 2 XS and 5-7 seconds to start any stream (with the latest firmware update, V4.3, B1057, released on 3/16, which sped things up considerably). On my S390, it takes 17 seconds to load the Netflix UI (if you don't count the "Authenticating, Downloading Updates, etc" thing that happens the first time you run any network service after powering it up) and no less than 13 seconds to start any stream, often more than 20 (it seems to take longer to start a TV series episode than a film). Both are wired.

I have not connected the Sony via wired connection, so I decided to give it a try. You are right on UI and streams loading, I timed it, the Roku does is faster. I will say that subjectively the PQ on the Sony looks better than the Roku, I don't know if its because it streaming at a higher quality or its using the better video processor in the S590.

I've read enough negative reviews on amazon and Roku's blog site to expect that the unit will fail just past its 90 day warranty. If it actually had a better rep, I think I would keep it. The original Old Skool Roku's were good units, but the new ones seem to have nothing but problems.The Sony S590 is a winner in my book, because of the bluray playback and the 5.1 in amazon. Hopefully they update the UI and make improvements to speed things up. In my book, the UI and loading speed is tolerable.
post #465 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(BTW, apw2607, I haven't had any problems with Netflix since turning off Quick Start and the problems I encountered with DLNA play can be ignored since I'll probably never use it.

Yea. Since I turned off quick start I've not had any more Netflix glitches, although it only ever happened twice ... So just could have being a server problem more than a client issue.
post #466 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Just bought mine today - really like the UI a lot...has all the services I want, but for some reason Vudu 3D movies are not displayed. I thought I read in this thread that 3D movies were supported - any ideas?
post #467 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think you might be right, the thing that's throwing me off is that my Roku2 is still slowly loading the netflix movie pic icons when I first enter the UI, which I consider is "still loading" as it works to display the icons. Whereas the Sony has them all loaded as soon as I enter the UI.

Now and then some of the thumbs haven't loaded when the Roku 2 Netflix UI appears, but it's very infrequent for me (used to be a lot more frequent in the old version).
Quote:

But there is one huge difference, once the Sony is wired, it seems to be able to sustain a better HD picture than the Roku. I am noticing on 5.1 HD streams, the Roku shifting between various quality levels, trying to sustain a good picture, but not remaining consistent. The best the Roku 2 XS can do on my connection with 5.1 HD streams is a soft HD PQ, while the Sony's best HD is sharp and definitely full HD quality, according the display button which shows the stream quality. My perception is that the Roku 2 simply doesn't have enough memory or processing power to properly handle things when HD and 5.1 streams come into play.

My (wired) Roku 2 climbs up to the 1080p encodings and stays there on my nominally 25 Mbps connection--the Netflix picture on the Sony is in no way superior.
Quote:

I admit I'm definitely against keeping the Roku as I've read enough negative reviews on amazon and Roku's blog site to expect that the unit will fail just past its 90 day warranty. The Sony S590 is a winner in my book.

I've had my Roku 2 XS for 8 months without a single problem and I don't recall anyone in the AVS Forum Roku 2 thread complaining about their unit quickly failing. It's an extremely low power, completely solid state device (drawing under two watts, less than some night lights)--in general if such a thing works for a month or two it should work nearly forever, barring being banged around violently or being fried by some power surge it wasn't protected against.

I had a few problems with the Roku 2 with early firmware releases, but at this point I'm fairly impressed with it. If it had a full-featured VUDU player, it'd be just about perfect. (I suspect that it would have to have Dolby decoding capability for VUDU, which I believe that they omit to save the cost of licensing).

In any case we have no idea how long the Sony BD players will last or whether they have some kind of quality control issue(s); only time will tell.

I'd actually like to find something that does everything that I need well and sell the Roku 2, but if I keep the S390 I'll keep the Roku until the S390's Amazon player should improve. The Roku 2's Amazon player is vastly superior to the S390's pretty much intolerable one (IMHO ).

post #468 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 03:25 PM

I edited my original post and then realized you already responded, my bad. I even think that you convinced me to give the Roku2 a try. If I get a squaretrade warranty and my roku2 fails, I can dump it on them to get me a replacement. I have a 3.5 megabit connection here, so maybe that's my bottleneck with these PQ issues.

In the last 8 months of owning it, you've had no Roku2 issues? I need to check that avs roku owners thread, on amazon.com a lot of people are pretty pissed with the Roku, its a mixed bag, either love or hate. I haven't had any problems so far(2 weeks), but I'm worried that the device will fail just past 90 days, which seems to happen to a lot of folks.
post #469 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawder View Post

Just bought mine today - really like the UI a lot...has all the services I want, but for some reason Vudu 3D movies are not displayed. I thought I read in this thread that 3D movies were supported - any ideas?

Yea, thats a bit odd. I'm 99% certain they were showing up under "collections" when I checked a couple of weeks ago, when I first got the player. But certainly NOT there now ... :-( Might be worth firing a email off to Vudu.

3D movies are available in Video Unlimited as well ... so you do have that option. I can't comment on the difference though, as don't have 3D capabilities currently.
post #470 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Roku 2's Amazon player is vastly superior to the S390's pretty much intolerable one (IMHO ).

I think I mentioned on post # 44 that I knew you would hate the Amazon app on the Sony .. hahaha ;-). I don't think its really that bad ... cover art is small for movies, but the fact I can text search using the phone wins me over. Picture and audio quality is what really counts for me, and seems fine, if you don't mind that initial 15s loading screen.

The real problem for me with Amazon prime, is that I can never find anything to watch on it, that Netflix doesn't already have.
post #471 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In the last 8 months of owning it, you've had no Roku2 issues? I need to check that avs roku owners thread, on amazon.com a lot of people are pretty pissed with the Roku, its a mixed bag, either love or hate. I haven't had any problems so far(2 weeks), but I'm worried that the device will fail just past 90 days, which seems to happen to a lot of folks.

There were some annoying bugs and limitations in the early firmware, but this last release has improved everything considerably. Because they can't transform Netflix's DD+ 5.1 sound into something else and can't be very confident that the downstream AVR or television can handle DD+ they couldn't make it the default, so you had to remember to turn it on (seems to me that they could have just read the capabilities of the downstream HDMI sink and determined whether it could handle it). Their solution to that problem in this past release has been to make 5.1 sound and closed captions "sticky"; persistent even across reboots. So, if you ever choose 5.1 sound it will always default to it. Good enough.

It still has a sometimes annoying bug in Netflix wherein it doesn't recognize that a title has HD encodings and/or a 5.1 soundtrack. The HD thing doesn't really matter since it will still ramp up to HD encodings whether the title's description indicates that they're there or not, but if it doesn't know about 5.1 sound it won't turn it on or give you a menu in which to turn it on. That's improved greatly and now the only title in my queue with that problem is the Norwegian film Trollhunter--the Roku can see that it has HD encodings now but not that it has available 5.1 sound. Other than those things it's been fine.

Try something for me--with a 3.5 Mbps connection you should only get the lowest quality of 3 HD encodings from Netflix (two 720p, one 1080p). Watch an HD film and press DISPLAY; it will put an overlay in the upper left corner that will tell you exactly what you're getting (I really love that ). Tell me what it says after "Video:" when it gets as good as it gets.

post #472 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The real problem for me with Amazon prime, is that I can never find anything to watch on it, that Netflix doesn't already have.

If you use TVandMoviesNow.com you'll find that some titles they have in common are HD and/or have 5.1 sound on Amazon and not in Netflix (and sometimes vice-versa).

That Android app has some cool features. If you're playing a BD or an Amazon title it knows what your watching and can give you information from IMDb, Wikipedia or YouTube about it.

post #473 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Yea, thats a bit odd. I'm 99% certain they were showing up under "collections" when I checked a couple of weeks ago, when I first got the player. But certainly there now ... :-( Might be worth firing a email off to Vudu.

3D movies are available in Video Unlimited as well ... so you do have that option. I can't comment on the difference though, as don't have 3D capabilities currently.

I will try Video Unlimited, though I prefer Vudu. Right now, the LG BD670 from 2011 is the best player I've used for all around services and functionality. And Amazon has it for $99. I do really like this Sony though - I'd be won over if they sorted out Vudu 3D.
post #474 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Try something for me--with a 3.5 Mbps connection you should only get the lowest quality of 3 HD encodings from Netflix (two 720p, one 1080p). Watch an HD film and press DISPLAY; it will put an overlay in the upper left corner that will tell you exactly what you're getting (I really love that ). Tell me what it says after "Video:" when it gets as good as it gets.

I did what you said on the S590, I get Medium/HD, not even the fullest HD, guess I'll have to upgrade my dsl line! It looks pretty darn good at medium HD though that I can't really complain too much.

I only wish the Roku has a button like this so I could pin its performance down. What do you get?
post #475 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did what you said on the S590, I get Medium/HD, not even the fullest HD, guess I'll have to upgrade my dsl line! It looks pretty darn good at medium HD though that I can't really complain too much.

I only wish the Roku has a button like this so I could pin its performance down. What do you get?

After medium / hd is

High / hd

Then

X-high / hd

Not all films have the x-high / hd feed. They look the best though. 1080p I think.
post #476 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Price drop on the S590 @ amazon. Now $132.
post #477 of 4017 Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not all films have the x-high / hd feed. They look the best though. 1080p I think.

Very nearly all of them do. I checked about 30 at random once and they all had 1080p encodings. I don't think that I've personally run into a 720p-only title though a couple have been pointed out to me (some seasons of a couple of anime series were 720p-only while other seasons of the same series featured 1080p and the film Scary Movie).

I really wish that more devices had these indicators for Netflix as well. These BD players and the PS3 are the only ones I know of.

post #478 of 4017 Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Looking to blow some AirMiles on a player here and have it basically narrowed down to these two (not that there's a lot of selection to start with). Actually more interested in the streaming/DLNA functions than the BD player, but AirMiles doesn't have any simple SmartTV-type boxes.

Anyway, wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the two? Both seem to be pretty highly rated overall. The Samsung is tempting but everything I've found so far just goes on about "Samsung Apps" support - nothing specifically states support for Netflix, YouTube, etc. Don't really care about the disc-to-digital thing either (having read about it, it sounds like something that probably isn't available in Canada anyway).
post #479 of 4017 Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM

I have an S590 hooked up HDMI to a Pioneer SC-07 Receiver. When ever I power up the system, I get a error message on the Pioneer flashing "Not Support". If I power down the Receiver and then power it back up the two connect then and all is good. It doesn't matter the order that I first power up, S590 first or Receiver first, they wont play together correctly until I cycle power on the Receiver again. Any Suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?
post #480 of 4017 Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerridge View Post

I have an S590 hooked up HDMI to a Pioneer SC-07 Receiver. When ever I power up the system, I get a error message on the Pioneer flashing "Not Support". If I power down the Receiver and then power it back up the two connect then and all is good. It doesn't matter the order that I first power up, S590 first or Receiver first, they wont play together correctly until I cycle power on the Receiver again. Any Suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

If your receiver is already powered on and set to another input, does the error show up as soon as the Sony is powered on, or only after powering on the Sony and then switching to the input on your Pioneer to where the HDMI is going into (e.g. BD)? I have a Pioneer Receiver and have no issues, but almost always have the Receiver powered on prior to turning on the Sony.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page