post #541 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Wonder how much Walmart is selling S590 for, saw some in stock last night.

$144 at my local walmart. I was totally gonna head out and get the 390 or 590 until I saw that there are no component outs. Really??? I have to have comp outs for my Audio Authority video distribution system. Does anyone know of other Sony's that do have comp outs?
Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I see a Netflix button on the sony remote. Will that button turn on the player and go straight to NF or does the player need to be on? If the player does have to be on, how long before it will accept the command?
post #543 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

$144 at my local walmart. I was totally gonna head out and get the 390 or 590 until I saw that there are no component outs. Really??? I have to have comp outs for my Audio Authority video distribution system. Does anyone know of other Sony's that do have comp outs?
Chris

I think you will struggle to find component outs on any newer bluray player. Content provides don't want those old analog outputs since they are paranoid people still want to copy the content in real time. If they do have component outs, often they are crippled to only providing Standard definition output with some content.

The Sony SMP-N200 does have component out. Its just a streamer though, and doesn't have the updated netflix UI.
post #544 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I see a Netflix button on the sony remote. Will that button turn on the player and go straight to NF or does the player need to be on? If the player does have to be on, how long before it will accept the command?

No. You need to first turn on the player, before using the netflix shortcut button on the remote.
post #545 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Thanks apw. Just trying to plan ahead. Waiting for the 390 to drop below $100, which seems reasonable once they become more widely available.

CCLAY, I'll trade you my 570 with component video outs for your 590 (or even 390)
post #546 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I think you will struggle to find component outs on any newer bluray player. Content provides don't want those old analog outputs since they are paranoid people still want to copy the content in real time. If they do have component outs, often they are crippled to only providing Standard definition output with some content.

Actually the content providers and OEMs have a formal agreement to exclude analog outputs from new products which is codified in the DRM licensing (AACS, etc). They call it the "Analog Sunset"--see this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #547 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
CCLAY, If you need two I will also trade my 570 with component video for either a 590 or a 390
post #548 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

From cold with quick-start turned off, it takes nearly 40 seconds before it will accept the command. Then, if it's just turned on, it will do some sort of "authorizing/downloading new content" shtick and make you press SELECT button (labelled with a reticle design) before it starts loading Netflix.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #549 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guys, if any of you are using the S590/S390 with a Mac through DLNA, here's a DLNA server to check out.

I was using Serviio, and it worked very well indeed for my MKV AVC files. It did struggle though with FF/RW and next chapter search, were the video would often start stuttering. If you left it alone, or merely paused, it was fine.

That said, I tried Elgato's EyeConnect DLNA server. Wow, amazing. Again my MKV AVC files playback perfectly, but also chapter search and FF/RW works without causing any issues. Very impressive. You can download a 30 day trial of EyeConnect from Elgato's website. Another nice feature is, it has a direct integration to iTunes and iPhoto. Meaning that if you create a new playlist in iTunes or add a new Library to iPhoto, they show up automatically on the S590 through EyeConnect.
post #550 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'd be willing to do a trade. Other than the no comp outs on the 390, what's the diff between that and the 570? PQ the same? Netflix, Pandora, etc. on the 570? Does the 570 output video over hdmi and comp at the same time?
Chris

My Home Theater is a work in progress.
post #551 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Guys, if any of you are using the S590/S390 with a Mac through DLNA, here's a DLNA server to check out.

I was using Serviio, and it worked very well indeed for my MKV AVC files. It did struggle though with FF/RW and next chapter search, were the video would often start stuttering. If you left it alone, or merely paused, it was fine.

That said, I tried Elgato's EyeConnect DLNA server. Wow, amazing. Again my MKV AVC files playback perfectly, but also chapter search and FF/RW works without causing any issues. Very impressive. You can download a 30 day trial of EyeConnect from Elgato's website. Another nice feature is, it has a direct integration to iTunes and iPhoto. Meaning that if you create a new playlist in iTunes or add a new Library to iPhoto, they show up automatically on the S590 through EyeConnect.

Just curious, have you tried the PS3 server as well? I'm not familiar with it or Serviio, but see them both mentioned a lot, so I was kind of curious of the difference between those and EyeConnect. I don't know much about DLNA streaming, so I'm trying to decide if its something I want to get into it or not. Are you using the 590 as an Extender? What are your main reasons for doing it, is it because you already have a ton of stuff on your computer or elsewhere that you want to stream to the TV?
post #552 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post

Just curious, have you tried the PS3 server as well? I'm not familiar with it or Serviio, but see them both mentioned a lot, so I was kind of curious of the difference between those and EyeConnect. I don't know much about DLNA streaming, so I'm trying to decide if its something I want to get into it or not. Are you using the 590 as an Extender? What are your main reasons for doing it, is it because you already have a ton of stuff on your computer or elsewhere that you want to stream to the TV?

No. I've not tried PS3 Server.

DLNA servers often have many functions, and choosing the right one can depend on what you want to use it for, and its compatibility with the renderer (or extender/client/player whatever you call it).

The S590 like many bluray players is able to support a certain set of file types and codecs for USB and DLNA playback. If you have files that the player cannot natively support then you need a DNLA server that can transcode the file into a format the player will understand. Not all DLNA server are a like and have transcoding for example. Some DLNA servers also have additional functions such as being able to present internet live streams to players, e.g. BBC World news. Serviio is able to do this for example.

In short, choosing the right DLNA server is dependent on what you are trying to achieve and its compatibility with a player.

My use case is simple. I have a selection of files in MKV AVC with DD and DTS audio hosted on my iMac. Since the S590 supports MKV AVC playback, I just needed a DLNA server to serve the files to the S590 in the correct way, so they can be properly played back. I've found (so far) that EyeConnect works the best ... for my use case.

I mentioned its integration with iPhoto and iTunes just in passing. I own a AppleTV so its already integrated in with iPhoto and iTunes. However for folks that don't own a Apple TV, using the S590 with EyeConnect to access their iTunes and iPhoto content is a nice feature.
post #553 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmont13 View Post

You KNOW you're going to open it!

Yeah, you are right.

I wasn't going to because I, for the first time, returned something to Amazon that I got with the Discover promotion, and they deducted me like $40 in shipping.

So I thought ... I am never returning anything to them again!

But it turns out they just made a mistake, and when I called they credited my account.

So, I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight just open it up tonight.
post #554 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyBill View Post

Yeah, you are right.

I wasn't going to because I, for the first time, returned something to Amazon that I got with the Discover promotion, and they deducted me like $40 in shipping.

But it turns out they just made a mistake, and when I called they credited my account.

I think you'll be glad you did. Plastic case on the Sony, but more features and better PQ. They originated blu ray. Thanks again for your interest, Bill.
post #555 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, you are right.

If you believe the S590 to be at fault in any way, simply provide that note within the Amazon return comment, and they will pay for the shipping back.
post #556 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you are right.

Don't go into shock when you see all the plastic! Honestly it does look a bit cheap but the PQ is very good and I really like the interface on the Sony. Watched HP Deathly Hallows 2 and Alice In Wonderland today and the picture on my LG 55LW5600 was fantastic.
post #557 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM

I just wanted to jump in to say I'm now the owner of a BDP-S590. I picked it from Amazon for $120 shipped a couple of days ago. My 570 stopped reading discs last week. I'm still going to keep it as a streaming device in case I have a place to put it one day.

****Edit: How long does the firmware update take (the one that came on the player was .01xx)? It's bee sitting on 1/9 progress for the last 8 minutes.

****Edit 2: It takes about 9 minutes.
post #558 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dTorC4 View Post

I just wanted to jump in to say I'm now the owner of a BDP-S590. I picked it from Amazon for $120 shipped a couple of days ago. My 570 stopped reading discs last week. I'm still going to keep it as a streaming device in case I have a place to put it one day.

****Edit: How long does the firmware update take (the one that came on the player was .01xx)? It's bee sitting on 1/9 progress for the last 8 minutes.

****Edit 2: It takes about 9 minutes.

I think this can catch folks out into thinking nothing is happening. It's sits at 1/9 for the duration and then the remainder completes in a second or two. Whatever you do folks don't turn it off during a firmware update !
post #559 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM

I've had some more time to play with this player and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had zero wireless problems and my router is pretty far away. Its' been very consistent with great PQ and sound, no dropouts or any horrible black flashes problem in netflix like the Panny 210.

Bluray also appears to be good, I dropped in a bunch of different discs and haven't run into any compatibility or playback problems. I can't really fault the player that much except to say that my Roku 2 XS seems to have a faster UI and quicker playback which Scott pointed out, but the Sony is still good in my opinion and tolerable in this area.

I think Sony has a winner on their hands. Now if they could just improve the UI speed in the SEN portal in a firmware update...
post #560 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can someone test the Chess app.... I cannot get it to run without just crashing and locking up my s590. Avspace .. Wanna try ?!
post #561 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avspace View Post

I've had some more time to play with this player and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had zero wireless problems and my router is pretty far away. Its' been very consistent with great PQ and sound, no dropouts or any horrible black flashes problem in netflix like the Panny 210.

Bluray also appears to be good, I dropped in a bunch of different discs and haven't run into any compatibility or playback problems. I can't really fault the player that much except to say that my Roku 2 XS seems to have a faster UI and quicker playback which Scott pointed out, but the Sony is still good in my opinion and tolerable in this area.

I think Sony has a winner on their hands. Now if they could just improve the UI speed in the SEN portal in a firmware update...

I agree that it's a winner.

I gave up my panny 210 for the Sony and have absolutely no regrets. Besides good DVD upscaling, the interface for playing back CD's and SACD's is very nice with the album art and track titles. The panny had a nice interface for mp3 playback showing album art and track tags, but CD playback was just track 1, track 2, ..... The Sony is functional and attractive for all music. And the SACD playback is a great plus. Finally pulled the Oppo out of my rack.
post #562 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Can someone test the Chess app.... I cannot get it to run without just crashing and locking up my s590. Avspace .. Wanna try ?!

Haha, tried it and got a crash on my player. I only waited 5 minutes before giving up on the loading sequence. Seems like the SEN portal has some bugs that need to be worked out, aside from the sluggish UI.

It did scare me for a sec, had to pull out the plug and wait 30 seconds before plugging back in. Had a moment of fear that it got bricked somehow.
post #563 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:

I think this can catch folks out into thinking nothing is happening. It's sits at 1/9 for the duration and then the remainder completes in a second or two. Whatever you do folks don't turn it off during a firmware update !

I wasn't sure anything was actually working when mine updated as it sat there on 1 of 9 for quite some time. I just left it alone and all of a sudden I got a no signal message on my TV. I got a bit worried as it had been around 10 minutes and I thought it was bonked. I noticed it was powered off so I hit the power button on the remote and it started right up. They really need to update the manual to reflect the actual process. Some people might shut it down by mistake and kill their player.
post #564 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

I gave up my panny 210 for the Sony and have absolutely no regrets. Besides good DVD upscaling, the interface for playing back CD's and SACD's is very nice with the album art and track titles. The panny had a nice interface for mp3 playback showing album art and track tags, but CD playback was just track 1, track 2, ..... The Sony is functional and attractive for all music. And the SACD playback is a great plus. Finally pulled the Oppo out of my rack.

Welcome to the club! Nice to know that Sony can still do electronics hardware right with certain products.
post #565 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'd be willing to do a trade. Other than the no comp outs on the 390, what's the diff between that and the 570? PQ the same? Netflix, Pandora, etc. on the 570? Does the 570 output video over hdmi and comp at the same time?
Chris

Are you serious? Do you know going price for used BX57/S570 is less than $70 on eBay these days?

You can get a HDMI to compoment box for your setup.I have an old RPTV only takes component imput and that is what I use. My BX57 is connected to AVR via HDMI and AVR HDMI output to the converter box to the TV.

To me BX57/S570 were better built than S590 but they can only read FAT32 format while S580/BX58 or S590 can read NTFS which may ore may not be important to you. If Netflix is important to you then you really should get the S390/S590. If SACD is also of interest to you then S590 is the only choice.
post #566 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog View Post

Are you serious? Do you know going price for used BX57/S570 is less than $70 on eBay these days?

You can get a HDMI to compoment box for your setup.I have an old RPTV only takes component imput and that is what I use. My BX57 is connected to AVR via HDMI and AVR HDMI output to the converter box to the TV.

To me BX57/S570 were better built than S590 but they can only read FAT32 format while S580/BX58 or S590 can read NTFS which may ore may not be important to you. If Netflix is important to you then you really should get the S390/S590. If SACD is also of interest to you then S590 is the only choice.

Also if VUDU is important to you, then the S390 or S590. No VUDU on the x770 series.
post #567 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 12
The sony is starting to sound like winner-winner-chicken-dinner.
post #568 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

I played an SACD yesterday on my 590 (Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms") and it had no album art anywhere. It just listed the album name...no artist name. It was pretty plain looking. Is there something you have to do to get the album art to show up...start Gracenote or something?
post #569 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Def_Boss View Post

The sony is starting to sound like winner-winner-chicken-dinner.

Just be prepared for the light weight, cheap feel of the player. My player was actually vibrating on the shelf from the blu-ray spinning inside the player the other day. After I ejected the disc and tried again it stopped. But the player is so cheaply constructed that at times it may not be able to absorb the spinning disc without shaking and rattling. So while Sony may have a "winner-winner-chicken-dinner" on their hands, it may come with a little "shake, rattle, and roll"!
post #570 of 4031 Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

I played an SACD yesterday on my 590 (Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms") and it had no album art anywhere. It just listed the album name...no artist name. It was pretty plain looking. Is there something you have to do to get the album art to show up...start Gracenote or something?

The OP isn't entirely correct. Here is a summary of what gets displayed for music playback.

CD:
(with network connection and gracenote enabled)

Track, Artist, Album, Album artwork

USB/DLNA (if tracks has being properly tagged)

Track, Artist, Album

SACD:

Track name only.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page